HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Official Simon Gagne Thread -- Rumours & Rumblings

Old
07-19-2010, 01:35 PM
i am dave

vCash: 500
Matt Walker and a 4th...

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
Matt Walker and a 4th...
Holy Lunchbag Letdown, Batman....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 01:49 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
LA's not going to like what they're going to have to give up.
(implied Simon Gagne would get a large return from LA)

quoted for lulz

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:32 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
(implied Simon Gagne would get a large return from LA)

quoted for lulz
Cosigned and co-lol'd.

What's so funny about Chris is that he is so invested in being right . . . to strangers on the internet. I mean, me and Jester have exchanged some lengthy posts before, but we are usually moving the conversation along intelligently, towards a better understanding of one another's points, or an agreement to disagree, something. Chris will have an argument that consists of the same five points and counterpoints recycled to infinity (One of those points being that he writes for a website, ha!).

What's amusing is when everyone is hating on him, he doesn't think it has anything to do with his attitude...he's just like "yeah, we writers have targets on our backs when we post". Unreal.

ALso, what if Homer reads HFboards and just "did it for the lulz"?

*Homer turns away from a Chris Shafer post on HFBoards and rubs his temples, then turns to pick up the phone to dial Yzerman*

"Hey Steve, I don't want Ashton and Smith anymore. Yeah I know that was our deal, and I hate to flake out on you, but now I want Walker and a 4th.....seriously.........yup.......you have a great day too Steve, bye bye now."

*hangs up phone*

*satisfied chuckle*

...two hours later...

Homer logs back on to the Flyers board, reads the vitriol and feels a pang of regret. Then he comes back to the trade forums and reads Shafer attempting to defend himself and knows in the end it was well worth it.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 10:01 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Tampa Bay Lightning's Simon Gagne to have nerve conduction test today

Well it's not looking good for Simon....seems the drama of injuries may shorten his career or maybe this will be another temp hiccup in his injury prone career?

I wonder if this latest mystery illness is related to those shots he was receiving in his neck to aid with the concussions? It's possible he has side effects from those injections since the treatment wasn't exactly a proven treatment. He did it as a last resort and it worked for him supposedly but maybe now he's getting some blowback...???

I guess Holmgren isn't looking so bad.....well not really considering Walker is using a walker these days along with Leighton!

Quote:
For Lightning forward Simon Gagne, his neck injury remains a bit of a mystery.

Gagne, who has missed the last seven games while on injured reserve, said he's feeling better, but is "still not quite where I want to be."

Gagne has seen several doctors, including local neurologist Ed Grant, and though he said there doesn't appear to be any symptoms related to concussion, they're still trying to get to the bottom of what's wrong before he can move forward.

"We're still not quite sure what's going on," he said.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...cle1133249.ece

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 10:07 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Tamp still wins the trade. They dumped salary for an expiring contract. Walker is a negative for this club right now.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 10:46 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Tamp still wins the trade. They dumped salary for an expiring contract. Walker is a negative for this club right now.
I'm fairly convinced that the Gagne trade was actually a 2-part trade where it was actually

Gagne
2nd

for

Meszaros
Walker
4th

On the surface that looks AWFUL. However, we get the youngest player in the deal, and if Meszaros can turn it around, he could be a valuable asset the next few seasons where as it already looks like Gagne's career is almost over.

I'm NOT saying I'm happy with the trade at all, but it might not be as awful as people on this board generally think. Down the road, Meszaros is in his prime, Gagne is done, and the chances of either pick being anything special (the percentage of finding NHL players in the draft drops quickly after the first round).

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 11:07 AM
Jester

Quote:
I'm fairly convinced that the Gagne trade was actually a 2-part trade where it was actually

Gagne
2nd

for

Meszaros
Walker
4th

On the surface that looks AWFUL. However, we get the youngest player in the deal, and if Meszaros can turn it around, he could be a valuable asset the next few seasons where as it already looks like Gagne's career is almost over.

I'm NOT saying I'm happy with the trade at all, but it might not be as awful as people on this board generally think. Down the road, Meszaros is in his prime, Gagne is done, and the chances of either pick being anything special (the percentage of finding NHL players in the draft drops quickly after the first round).
Gagne was clearly discussed earlier on, but at the time was refusing to waive his NTC... so it would be relatively amazing if Yzerman cut any sort of two-part deal.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 11:12 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
You cant look at an injury and say that makes a trade look better.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 11:12 AM
DrHamburg

If Meszaros turns it around? I thought he has looked pretty damn good..

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 11:14 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:

Gagne
2nd

for

Meszaros
Walker
4th

Not fair or accurate to assume that you can lump the two trades together.

Even with Gagne injured, that was still one of the worst trades I've seen in a long time when I made it and, currently, the jury is still out on it. Even an injured Gagne is more valuable then Walker.

It's also kind of ridiculous to give Holmgren credit for the trade because Gagne got injured. Short of Homer injuring Gagne himself, there's no way he could have foreseen this happening.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 11:24 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Gagne was always my favorite Flyer.

That said, Meszaros in his prime will be worth more than an aging Gagne every day.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 11:30 AM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
You cant look at an injury and say that makes a trade look better.
No, but it does underline Yzerman's statement about taking a risk on Gagné and his injury history when the trade went down, as well as point to why there wasn't the kind of return that we were expecting.

Don't get me wrong: I still hate the trade, and Walker was a negative to the deal even when he wasn't injured.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 12:05 PM
DUHockey9

I don't think this makes the trade any better or worse. In fact I (and I'm fairly sure a few others shared the same sentiment) was of the belief that, even if Gagne never played a single game in TB, it's a failure of a trade, because it's a failed salary dump.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 12:06 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

I will hate this trade forever, but Tampa will be lucky to get 60 games out of Gagne. Even then he has never really been a PPG player, so at best Gagne will duplicate last years stats (58gp 17g 23a 40pts).

His real worth will be shown if they make the playoffs, which they seem to be on track too.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:

Gagne
2nd

for

Meszaros
Walker
4th

I agree with this in theory, but if Meszaros is a 3rd pairing guy one this team making $4mill and Walker is a $1.7mill hit in the press box(healthy), it still makes me wonder. But I have liked more and more what Meszaros has been able to bring and also as many potential turnovers O'Donnell gives up his presence during a playoff run will be great to see.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 02:44 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
I agree with this in theory, but if Meszaros is a 3rd pairing guy one this team making $4mill and Walker is a $1.7mill hit in the press box(healthy), it still makes me wonder. But I have liked more and more what Meszaros has been able to bring and also as many potential turnovers O'Donnell gives up his presence during a playoff run will be great to see.
Meszaros is not a 3rd pairing guy. People see the money as being spent on a bottom pairing. I don't at all. Just like rolling 3 forward lines with all three arguable as first lines, we roll 3 pairings as arguable top pairings. That's why we didn't spend money on a goalie, and honestly, I've been all for it since day one.

1A: Pronger - Carle
1B: Timonen - Coburn
1C/2: Meszaros - O'Donnell

There is no pairing that I would be uncomfortable putting out there for 20 minutes a night.

Old
11-10-2010, 02:51 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Meszaros is not a 3rd pairing guy.

1A: Pronger - Carle
1B: Timonen - Coburn
1C/2: Meszaros - O'Donnell

There is no pairing that I would be uncomfortable putting out there for 20 minutes a night.
Best pairings in the NHL I would agree, but in theory he is still a 3rd pairing player in regards to the others in front of him. He can play, and has, played some significant time on both the PP/PK. Laviolette is actually doing a really good job splitting the minutes with Meszaros getting equal PP/PK time, Carle getting more PP time, and Coburn getting a brunt of the PK and ES/TOI time.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 03:14 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Chris, O'Donnell is not a top pairing d man, even though he has looked good,

Meszaros is great because it keeps Coburn's PP time down, and keeps Carle's Pk time down. I hope eventually Carle rarely even plays the PK.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 03:17 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Chris, O'Donnell is not a top pairing d man, even though he has looked good,

Meszaros is great because it keeps Coburn's PP time down, and keeps Carle's Pk time down. I hope eventually Carle rarely even plays the PK.
That's why I put it as a 1C/2. You're right, but it's still an impressive thing to see our defense in action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Best pairings in the NHL I would agree, but in theory he is still a 3rd pairing player in regards to the others in front of him. He can play, and has, played some significant time on both the PP/PK. Laviolette is actually doing a really good job splitting the minutes with Meszaros getting equal PP/PK time, Carle getting more PP time, and Coburn getting a brunt of the PK and ES/TOI time.
I agree. Meszaros - O'Donnell is a great luxury and Laviolette is handling it perfectly.

Against weaker teams Meszaros - O'Donnell has been getting significantly more and more time. They've had the most minutes in a few games already.

Old
11-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Garbage Goal

Meszaros is great because he keeps every other d-mans minutes down, most importantly Timonen and Pronger. The fact that he brings some PK help after losing Gagne is good as well. Far too early to definitively call it a good trade though.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 08:04 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Cosigned and co-lol'd.

What's so funny about Chris is that he is so invested in being right . . . to strangers on the internet. I mean, me and Jester have exchanged some lengthy posts before, but we are usually moving the conversation along intelligently, towards a better understanding of one another's points, or an agreement to disagree, something. Chris will have an argument that consists of the same five points and counterpoints recycled to infinity (One of those points being that he writes for a website, ha!).

What's amusing is when everyone is hating on him, he doesn't think it has anything to do with his attitude...he's just like "yeah, we writers have targets on our backs when we post". Unreal.

ALso, what if Homer reads HFboards and just "did it for the lulz"?

*Homer turns away from a Chris Shafer post on HFBoards and rubs his temples, then turns to pick up the phone to dial Yzerman*

"Hey Steve, I don't want Ashton and Smith anymore. Yeah I know that was our deal, and I hate to flake out on you, but now I want Walker and a 4th.....seriously.........yup.......you have a great day too Steve, bye bye now."

*hangs up phone*

*satisfied chuckle*

...two hours later...

Homer logs back on to the Flyers board, reads the vitriol and feels a pang of regret. Then he comes back to the trade forums and reads Shafer attempting to defend himself and knows in the end it was well worth it.
For the record, while I have disagreed at times, I dont see this issue with Shafer. The things you are accusing him of, EVERYONE is guilty of at one point or another.

I have as much respect for Jester as much as the next person, dont know you very well cause I just havent been on here much lately but I am sure you are jus as guilty of this as others......as am I at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Well it's not looking good for Simon....seems the drama of injuries may shorten his career or maybe this will be another temp hiccup in his injury prone career?

I wonder if this latest mystery illness is related to those shots he was receiving in his neck to aid with the concussions? It's possible he has side effects from those injections since the treatment wasn't exactly a proven treatment. He did it as a last resort and it worked for him supposedly but maybe now he's getting some blowback...???

I guess Holmgren isn't looking so bad.....well not really considering Walker is using a walker these days along with Leighton!
Still a terrible deal cause we replaced him with crap in Shelley/Zherdev, and what Valhoun said above as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
If Meszaros turns it around? I thought he has looked pretty damn good..
He was a bit shaky the first 5 games or so but has been very solid lately. Would love to see him use that big shot a bit more

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote