HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buff-Tor Trade

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-20-2010, 09:59 AM
  #1
MyersMagic57*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,420
vCash: 500
Buff-Tor Trade

To Tor:
Andrej Sekera (1.0) mill cap hit)
Tim Connolly (4.50 mill cap hit)
Drew Stafford (1.9 mill cap hit)

To Buff:
Thomas Kaberle (4.25 mill cap hit)
Mikhail Grabovski (2.9 mill cap hit)

Toronto gets a good first line Center to play with Kessel and Versteeg, and a cheap defensemen who can learn there system and play well there. What they do with Stafford God knows

What we get is a top 6 forward who could play center between Hecht and Pomminville and a defensmen who can play with Myers. The Salaries basically balance out and it would leave us with money that we could save for any new acquisitions next season and in two seasons enough money for Myers extention

Vanek-Roy-Ennis
Hecht-Grabovski-Pommer
Kennedy-Nieds-Grier
Mccormick-Gaustad-Kaleta
xGerbe

Kaberle-Myers
Montador-Leopold
Weber-Butler
xRivet on IR

I think this would be perfect to set our needs and leave us a lot of money to sign anything in the near future

Thoughts?

MyersMagic57* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 10:05 AM
  #2
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 36,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vile21 View Post
To Tor:
Andrej Sekera (1.0) mill cap hit)
Tim Connolly (4.50 mill cap hit)
Drew Stafford (1.9 mill cap hit)

To Buff:
Thomas Kaberle (4.25 mill cap hit)
Mikhail Grabovski (2.9 mill cap hit)

Toronto gets a good first line Center to play with Kessel and Versteeg, and a cheap defensemen who can learn there system and play well there. What they do with Stafford God knows

What we get is a top 6 forward who could play center between Hecht and Pomminville and a defensmen who can play with Myers. The Salaries basically balance out and it would leave us with money that we could save for any new acquisitions next season and in two seasons enough money for Myers extention

Vanek-Roy-Ennis
Hecht-Grabovski-Pommer
Kennedy-Nieds-Grier
Mccormick-Gaustad-Kaleta
xGerbe

Kaberle-Myers
Montador-Leopold
Weber-Butler
xRivet on IR

I think this would be perfect to set our needs and leave us a lot of money to sign anything in the near future

Thoughts?
no thanks...

counter

Stafford
for
Kaberle

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 10:08 AM
  #3
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 19,099
vCash: 67
Grabovski as our 2C makes me want to puke. We are voluntarily worsening our center situation. Why? For the PPQB of the #30 ranked PP last year who won't have that much of an effect on our PP if the same strategy of standing around continues to be employed. Here's what I'll give up for Kaberle:

Stafford + 2nd rounder

That's it. If Burke wants to continue puffing and demanding a king's ransom, good luck to him.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 10:08 AM
  #4
MyersMagic57*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
no thanks...

counter

Stafford
for
Kaberle
I was just thinking that Grabovski is worse than Connolly, I still want a better Top 6 center to replace Connolly

MyersMagic57* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 10:56 AM
  #6
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner
 
Mit Yarrum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 4,960
vCash: 1663
Grabs as our second line C?

No thank you.

Mit Yarrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 11:14 AM
  #9
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vile21 View Post
I was just thinking that Grabovski is worse than Connolly, I still want a better Top 6 center to replace Connolly
Huh? You propose adding Grabovski while trading Connolly, concede Grabovski as being worse yet profess wanting someone better than Connolly....?


Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 11:18 AM
  #10
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,171
vCash: 500
The odds of Brian Burke accepting Connolly in any kind of trade offer seem about as good as the odds of Regier offering Slava Kozlov a 5-year contract.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 11:29 AM
  #11
Sabreality
Registered User
 
Sabreality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,062
vCash: 50
note to board....please stop giving Sekera away...thanks

he's 24, has played only 157 games (not even 2 seasons worth)..he shows glimpses of greatness, followed by inconsistency...i just think right now he's more talented than he is experienced..and that will come...at 27, 28 i honestly believe he's going to be an EXCELLENT defender and Buffalo (and many fans) will be kicking themselves for letting him go.

Sabreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:13 PM
  #12
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 57,079
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Is that all?
Most. I may have missed a few, but that's what I have on one of my PC's in a notepad file called "HF Buf-Tor Kaberle Silliness".

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:36 PM
  #13
Rowley Birkin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: England
Posts: 3,187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post
note to board....please stop giving Sekera away...thanks

he's 24, has played only 157 games (not even 2 seasons worth)..he shows glimpses of greatness, followed by inconsistency...i just think right now he's more talented than he is experienced..and that will come...at 27, 28 i honestly believe he's going to be an EXCELLENT defender and Buffalo (and many fans) will be kicking themselves for letting him go.
I think at some point (maybe soon) they have to choose between one of Sekera and Butler.

And personally, I would keep Sekera every time.

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 01:12 PM
  #14
mgeise
Registered User
 
mgeise's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 3,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin View Post
I think at some point (maybe soon) they have to choose between one of Sekera and Butler.

And personally, I would keep Sekera every time.
I agree. Maybe it's the risk taker in me, but I feel like Sekera's high-end is at a significantly higher level than Butler's. I don't want to see Sekera go anywhere, especially if his and Butler's values are comparable around the league.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 01:31 PM
  #15
Salzig
I am laudable.
 
Salzig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bonn, Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,032
vCash: 500
I want Kaberle badly, but I want no part of Grabovski on my team.

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 02:48 PM
  #16
Kruschiki
Registered User
 
Kruschiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 14,230
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
The odds of Brian Burke accepting Connolly in any kind of trade offer seem about as good as the odds of Regier offering Slava Kozlov a 5-year contract.
Not so sure. Connolly did get some Olympic love at one point.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 03:00 PM
  #17
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 57,079
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Placek View Post
Not so sure. Connolly did get some Olympic love at one point.
Did that "Olympic love" involve a two-person luge?

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 03:02 PM
  #18
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 36,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Placek View Post
Not so sure. Connolly did get some Olympic love at one point.
When was this?

I only recall Burke mentioning Goose.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 05:09 PM
  #19
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Placek View Post
Not so sure. Connolly did get some Olympic love at one point.
You must be thinking of the campaigning the MSG and WGR staff did for Connolly last fall - but that lobbying was yet another example of their inane quest to get as many Sabres on the national rosters as possible as a means of garnering nationwide respect/admiration for the team and city. Obviously, what Howard Simon or Kevin Sylvester thought had no relevance to what the US management team believed.

Connolly was neither invited to the tryout camps last summer that Miller attended nor ever mentioned by Burke or Wilson as a possible candidate. And, as if his omission from the Olympic team wasn't enough of a clue, Connolly could have had a second chance, with far less competition, when the US team for the World Championships was selected from all of the first round losing teams and playoff absentees - again, chosen by Burke. For all the press his predominantly injury-free season got him, Connolly never got a sniff of consideration; instead, a rookie with a better work ethic (Kennedy) was picked by Burke.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 07:15 PM
  #20
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 40,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
You must be thinking of the campaigning the MSG and WGR staff did for Connolly last fall - but that lobbying was yet another example of their inane quest to get as many Sabres on the national rosters as possible as a means of garnering nationwide respect/admiration for the team and city. Obviously, what Howard Simon or Kevin Sylvester thought had no relevance to what the US management team believed.

Connolly was neither invited to the tryout camps last summer that Miller attended nor ever mentioned by Burke or Wilson as a possible candidate. And, as if his omission from the Olympic team wasn't enough of a clue, Connolly could have had a second chance, with far less competition, when the US team for the World Championships was selected from all of the first round losing teams and playoff absentees - again, chosen by Burke. For all the press his predominantly injury-free season got him, Connolly never got a sniff of consideration; instead, a rookie with a better work ethic (Kennedy) was picked by Burke.
Connolly (and likely Pominville as well) cost themselves consideration when they opted not to go to the Worlds last year. Stafford on the other hand did play at the Worlds, and that's why he was invited to Camp before the season.

Miller didn't, but given the shortage of USA goaltenders, his place was essentially secure by default.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 07:45 PM
  #21
ClearedButNotOut
Fixity
 
ClearedButNotOut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Satellite of Love
Country: United States
Posts: 1,141
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post
note to board....please stop giving Sekera away...thanks

he's 24, has played only 157 games (not even 2 seasons worth)..he shows glimpses of greatness, followed by inconsistency...i just think right now he's more talented than he is experienced..and that will come...at 27, 28 i honestly believe he's going to be an EXCELLENT defender and Buffalo (and many fans) will be kicking themselves for letting him go.
Well said, couldn't agree more. I think most of his issues are in his head, he's either going to be solid, or Kalinin.

ClearedButNotOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 08:00 PM
  #22
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life
 
enrothorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Downtown Buffalo
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,622
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Too much given up.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 03:55 AM
  #23
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,653
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Three problems with this:

#1 - Overpayment. Overpayment is ok if it is what it takes to get it done but this is strong overpayment and further there is:

#2 - Hurts the team. Losing Sekera is obviously a-ok if we're replacing him with Kaberle. But losing two top 6 bodies, including one of the best in Connolly and leaving us with a frankly crap #2 center and crap center depth. In other words, we'd need another big deal lined up to at least replace Connolly more adequately. And we just traded two of our best chips in Sekera (or Butler, but I doubt they'd trade both) and Stafford, so that would be extremely difficult.

#3 - I doubt Toronto has received an offer even close to this. If they got a good top 6 contributor + anything they likely would have pulled the trigger immediately. They're looking for the centerpiece to be a guy who can play now and Connolly can certainly do that. He'd be great alongside Kessel so long as he stays healthy. Stafford gives them a guy who is a top 6 upgrade even with his underwhelming performance, along with the X factor of reaching his potential. Sekera could take a whole lot of the sting out of losing Kaberle. They won't get anything close to this for him, imo.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.