HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

The Drums of War - NHL Nixes Kovalchuk Deal

Closed Thread

Old
07-21-2010, 06:48 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

vCash: 500
What I like about this situation is that the hockey world was pissed off when we "signed" IK to a 17 year deal and they'll be pissed off once again when Lou will restructure the contract by the end of the week.

The hockey world will be pissed at us twice in a single week

Old
07-21-2010, 06:48 AM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Agreed. Hopefully he's stuck in NJ with an 8 mill cap hit for the next 15 years. I don't see how NJ will restructure it to make the Kovalchuk$ happy. The deal is going to need more $ towards the end of it and that's not what Kovy or the Devils want.

NEED A PACIFIER, KINGS FAN?

Old
07-21-2010, 06:49 AM
Shwag33

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
Doesn't matter what Lou said or didn't say. THERE IS PRECEDENCE FOR THESE CONTRACTS!! IT WASN'T THE FIRST TIME THAT THIS TYPE OF CONTRACT WAS NOT ONLY CREATED BUT PASSED BY THE LEAGUE WITHOUT SO MUCH AS A HOWDY-DO!

Geez....Sorry for the caps but this is just plain ridiculous logic here.

Actually it does.... read the CBA clause.

First there is not precedence for this length and going to age 44, so you can stop right there. Second, No other GM came out after signing a deal speaking out against 'these type of contracts'. Going off of the CBA the contract can't even be spoke up during negotiations by the GM or player determining retirement date. Seems pretty clear by lou's statements he's well aware kovy wont play till he's 44, otherwise he'd just be mentioning how thrilled he is to have kovy playing in NJ till he's 44.

Old
07-21-2010, 06:50 AM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
DiPietro hasn't anything to do with this contract other than a comparable length. In DiPietro's contract the salary stays the same every year, it's simply a long deal but absolutely no cap circumvention.

I can understand Devils fans complaining, because indeed deals like Hossa's or Luongo's are quite obvious cap circumvention as well and should have already been disallowed. But I also somehow understand that the league wants to draw a line somewhere.

And they could draw the line when the CBA expires in a couple of seasons!!! Why they choose to do it now just smacks of Hypocrisy and Arrogance from Buttman and his cronies.

Old
07-21-2010, 06:51 AM
ola1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
You make it sound so simple.

All I can say is, study the CBA, especially section 26.3. Study NHL contracts, especially older players in the NHL and comparisons to Kovalchuk's final years.

Acting like the NHL is completely wrong in this is ignorance. Hossa's last 4 years can be easily articulated to be the current salary of past all-stars playing now at that age. I don't know how many times I have to repeat this. Kovalchuk has ZERO players in the NHL to compare to as far as his caliber player making anywhere close to the money he's making the last 6 years of this contract.

The closest player comparable for Kovalchuk in his caliber and age to compare to would be Teemu Selanne. At 38 and 39, Selanne made $2.625 million each season. That's a far cry from $550k.
The NHL would've lost arguing against Hossa because the NHLPA could've articulated current examples of comparable players of age with salaries. The NHLPA can't argue that for the final 6 years of Kovalchuk's contract.

I think LL knew this wasn't going to fly and that's why he stated what he did to save face with other GMs while displacing the blame on the owners.
and there is the problem .... comparing Kovalchuk at 44 to Selanne at 39 is a five-year differential. So there is no precedence for the comparison. Therefore this case would be precedent-setting. I beleive that the NHL could argue that Kovalchuk should be earning league minimum for those years, yet there is no definitive way to project what those minimums could be. So does the league allow Kovalchuk's numbers to stand and once the minimum is set in those years, either raise or lower the cap hit????

This is a very gray area because while there have been contracts that were front-loaded, the Kovalchuk contract is an anomaly. IMO, the league is also running the risk that this contract could be upheld, which opens up the avenue for another GM to continue the slippery slope that the NHL created by approving those other contracts.

And despite the cherry-picking by some of Lou's comments during the press conference on Tuesday, maybe I'm wrong but I thought that Lou did say the contract was legal under the CBA.

Going to be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

Old
07-21-2010, 06:51 AM
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

Buttman is turning the NHL more and more into ****ing joke every day.

The NHL has absolutely no right rejecting the contract. Its not against the current CBA its legal and so WTF boy talk about double standards.

If I were Lou I'd go crazy over this double standard. Heck if the Pens would offer Crosby a 20 year deal they wouldn't reject it.

This is just low class even for the midget Buttman.

Old
07-21-2010, 06:52 AM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
I guess the NHL agrees.
Doesn't mean they'll win, though. The NHL can agree that the moon is made of Green Cheese. Doesn't make it true. C'mon, Jules....

Old
07-21-2010, 06:53 AM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ola1973 View Post
and there is the problem .... comparing Kovalchuk at 44 to Selanne at 39 is a five-year differential. So there is no precedence for the comparison. Therefore this case would be precedent-setting. I beleive that the NHL could argue that Kovalchuk should be earning league minimum for those years, yet there is no definitive way to project what those minimums could be. So does the league allow Kovalchuk's numbers to stand and once the minimum is set in those years, either raise or lower the cap hit????

This is a very gray area because while there have been contracts that were front-loaded, the Kovalchuk contract is an anomaly. IMO, the league is also running the risk that this contract could be upheld, which opens up the avenue for another GM to continue the slippery slope that the NHL created by approving those other contracts.

And despite the cherry-picking by some of Lou's comments during the press conference on Tuesday, maybe I'm wrong but I thought that Lou did say the contract was legal under the CBA.

Going to be interesting to see how this all shakes out.
How am I comparing Kovalchuk at 44 to Selanne at 39? Kovalchuk will still be making $550k at 39.

Old
07-21-2010, 06:55 AM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by czwalga View Post

First there is not precedence for this length and going to age 44, so you can stop right there. Second, No other GM came out after signing a deal speaking out against 'these type of contracts'. Going off of the CBA the contract can't even be spoke up during negotiations by the GM or player determining retirement date. Seems pretty clear by lou's statements he's well aware kovy wont play till he's 44, otherwise he'd just be mentioning how thrilled he is to have kovy playing in NJ till he's 44.
So you can't take KOVY'S word that he will be in shape to play well into his 40's(44 to be exact is what he said) then? Can you predict the future? I don't think you can and neither can the NHL.

This is based on a HUGE ASSUMPTION of what MIGHT HAPPEN as opposed to what *WILL* happen and no one knows. It's bulls***.

Old
07-21-2010, 06:57 AM
Shwag33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglepride View Post
Buttman is turning the NHL more and more into ****ing joke every day.

The NHL has absolutely no right rejecting the contract. Its not against the current CBA its legal and so WTF boy talk about double standards.

If I were Lou I'd go crazy over this double standard. Heck if the Pens would offer Crosby a 20 year deal they wouldn't reject it.

This is just low class even for the midget Buttman.

Read the CBA, theres a lot of gray room for the the NHL to account for circumvention. They clearly know A LOT ****ING MORE THAN YOU DO! Even if the league is full of a bunch of monkeys, they atleast have access to the contracts/statements/whatever else they need. YOU DON'T!

Old
07-21-2010, 06:58 AM
ola1973

Quote:

excuse me if I have problems with your assumptions.
First, why would Lou mention something that he -- god forbid -- may not see in his lifetime. The owner, gm and coach seemed pleased as punch that kovy would be a devil for life. So sorry if I don't buy the jump you are making.
Second, add to that Kovy was sitting, what two seats away, saying he is planning on playing for the length of the contract, joked that he is young, only 27.

Old
07-21-2010, 06:58 AM
Shwag33

Quote:
So you can't take KOVY'S word that he will be in shape to play well into his 40's(44 to be exact is what he said) then? Can you predict the future? I don't think you can and neither can the NHL.

This is based on a HUGE ASSUMPTION of what MIGHT HAPPEN as opposed to what *WILL* happen and no one knows. It's bulls***.

The deal will be restructed to be a 14-15 year deal, with a 6.8-7.2 mill cap hit, stop crying.

Old
07-21-2010, 07:00 AM
Shwag33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ola1973 View Post
excuse me if I have problems with your assumptions.
First, why would Lou mention something that he -- god forbid -- may not see in his lifetime. The owner, gm and coach seemed pleased as punch that kovy would be a devil for life. So sorry if I don't buy the jump you are making.
Second, add to that Kovy was sitting, what two seats away, saying he is planning on playing for the length of the contract, joked that he is young, only 27.

yeah....whatever you want to believe.

Old
07-21-2010, 07:01 AM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Read the CBA, theres a lot of gray room for the the NHL to account for circumvention. They clearly know A LOT ****ING MORE THAN YOU DO! Even if the league is full of a bunch of monkeys, they atleast have access to the contracts/statements/whatever else they need. YOU DON'T!
excuse me....AND YOU DO??? YOU HAVE THE CONTRACTS/STATEMENTS/WHATEVER IN FRONT OF YOU THEN?

Well excuse me then....I didn't realize you worked for the League.

Excuse me while I bask in your greatness.....Here's a Banana for you; if you don't want it, Give it to that Chimpanzee you call a Commissioner.

Old
07-21-2010, 07:01 AM
Shwag33

Quote:
excuse me....AND YOU DO??? YOU HAVE THE CONTRACTS/STATEMENTS/WHATEVER IN FRONT OF YOU THEN?

Excuse me while I bask in your greatness.....Here's a Banana for you; if you don't want it, Give it to that Chimpanzee you call a Commissioner.

Did I reject the contract? I believe the people with the information did.

Old
07-21-2010, 07:02 AM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

Quote:

The deal will be restructed to be a 14-15 year deal, with a 6.8-7.2 mill cap hit, stop crying.
Increasing 6.0 to 6.8 could mean we have to get rid of Zubrus which is a very very big deal, especially when considering that the NHL has nothing to stand on in this rejection.

Old
07-21-2010, 07:03 AM
Shwag33

Quote:

Did I reject the contract? I believe the people with the information did.

Old
07-21-2010, 07:04 AM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:

Kovy is going to want that 17 years to remain, cz. That's the issue here.

Old
07-21-2010, 07:04 AM
Shwag33

Quote:

I'm pretty sure the league rejected the contract not me, so clearly they know something. You are the one making outrageous claims without knowing the facts.

Old
07-21-2010, 07:05 AM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

New Thread Created!!

Ibtl.

Closed Thread