HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Dallas-Los Angeles

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-21-2010, 12:22 AM
  #51
Ronk
Registered User
 
Ronk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 472
vCash: 500
What all this has to do with bringing LA a #2 center is beyond me.

Ronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 12:35 AM
  #52
defer*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 2,299
vCash: 500
Looks Fair To Me

defer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 10:16 AM
  #53
LordHelmet
Registered User
 
LordHelmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Dallas seems to think though that they are just two top pairing defensemen away from being contenders again. That may be true I suppose, but as we all know acquiring one player of that calibre is tough enough, much less two. I'm thinking that by Jan/Feb Dallas will be wanting to deal Richards if he hasn't signed an extension.
Why don't we compare Dallas' forwards with those Kings, you know.. the new "powerhouse team in the Pacific"

Dallas top 7 forwards are superior in every category except for total games played (544 vs 537). Dallas is a year younger, scored 12 more goals, 11 more assists, 23 more points, and have higher pts/gm (.731 vs .680). (I went top-7 so that Simmonds was included)

And that's in front of our admittedly not-so-offensively-gifted Defense.

So yes, if Dallas adds two top pairing defensemen (such as Doughty or Johnson) we'd be every bit as much of a contender - if not moreso - than LA.

So please, we don't need your sympathy. We don't need a complete rebuild, in fact we have better and younger talent up front than your team. We have every reason to expect good players to want to come here.

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 11:46 AM
  #54
Sony Eriksson*
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N. Dallas/NYC
Country: Faroe Islands
Posts: 13,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndBoards View Post
Why don't we compare Dallas' forwards with those Kings, you know.. the new "powerhouse team in the Pacific"

Dallas top 7 forwards are superior in every category except for total games played (544 vs 537). Dallas is a year younger, scored 12 more goals, 11 more assists, 23 more points, and have higher pts/gm (.731 vs .680). (I went top-7 so that Simmonds was included)

And that's in front of our admittedly not-so-offensively-gifted Defense.

So yes, if Dallas adds two top pairing defensemen (such as Doughty or Johnson) we'd be every bit as much of a contender - if not moreso - than LA.

So please, we don't need your sympathy. We don't need a complete rebuild, in fact we have better and younger talent up front than your team. We have every reason to expect good players to want to come here.
LA has also had 9 1st round picks 15th and lower since the 2003 season....just sayin

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 12:23 PM
  #55
Fat Elvis
Registered User
 
Fat Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Money Pit
Country: United States
Posts: 5,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtesy Flush View Post
LA has also had 9 1st round picks 15th and lower since the 2003 season....just sayin

Not all of them have or will pan out, sad to say. But, you are right. LA has improved because they got the #2 pick in Doughty and scored on a flier in Kopitar and a 3rd rounder in Quick. LA is still a few pieces away from putting together a real contender. We'll see how this plays out this season with a few more draftees possibly making opening night (Bernier, Schenn, Hickey and Clifford). Not sure any can push LA over the top this season.

Dallas will be fine, you guys always seem to be right there. You have some young players that look promissing and good hockey people making decisions. Not sure a deal like the one posted makes sense right now for Dallas. LA is also a few injuries away from another tough season(been there before). Maybe a smaller deal would benefit both clubs more than this big proposal.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 12:59 PM
  #56
Fat Elvis
Registered User
 
Fat Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Money Pit
Country: United States
Posts: 5,315
vCash: 500
Brunnstrom
for
Alec Martinez+pick

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 01:30 PM
  #57
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,445
vCash: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP View Post
Brunnstrom
for
Alec Martinez+pick
I'm still of the mindset that we haven't seen the best of Brunnstrom....if his numbers don't improve after this season, then it's time to move on. He's being held back in Dallas due to our depth on the wing. Morrow, Eriksson, Neal, and Benn lock up the top 4 wing positions, leaving Brunnstrom nothing but spot duty on the checking/grit lines. Which probably doesn't suit his game all that much.

__________________
If you're telekinetic and you know it, clap my hands!
Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 01:48 PM
  #58
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets
 
Karitimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP View Post
Not all of them have or will pan out, sad to say. But, you are right. LA has improved because they got the #2 pick in Doughty and scored on a flier in Kopitar and a 3rd rounder in Quick. LA is still a few pieces away from putting together a real contender. We'll see how this plays out this season with a few more draftees possibly making opening night (Bernier, Schenn, Hickey and Clifford). Not sure any can push LA over the top this season.

Dallas will be fine, you guys always seem to be right there. You have some young players that look promissing and good hockey people making decisions. Not sure a deal like the one posted makes sense right now for Dallas. LA is also a few injuries away from another tough season(been there before). Maybe a smaller deal would benefit both clubs more than this big proposal.
Simple. Well put. I agree.

I wanna believe the Stars can contend soon, but it will take a few pieces to get back to our, whats come to be expected level of hockey. You don't go assembling a bottom 6 like Joe has if you don't think you have a sniff or you feel the rebuild is on. It's all we could do to 'get better' at the moment.

The Kings are those same few right moves away from putting together a winner. Both situations are dependant on the kids being developed and worked into the fold properly. You've gotta think they are still on the outs with the Kovy situation reboot? Yes?

Patience and time anyway.

Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 02:41 PM
  #59
Herby
Culture Changer
 
Herby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 15,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Casey 91 View Post
So you have holes at the number 2 center spot and the more noticeably the wing. We holes in the 1 and 2 defender position. May Joe and Dean do there best to fill those by my count 2 holes on either side. I'll admit ours are of the gaping variety.
The difference is we are five years into our rebuild, with 7 first round picks in that span and we still have holes. You guys were in the Western Conf. Finals two years ago.

He says winger is the easiest position to fill, yet the Kings in the five years since he took over have traded away two first line wingers and never truly replaced either one, and now this summer have let another former 35 goal guy walk for nothing, so if its so easy to sign a first line winger why has he been unable to?

I really think you guys are in great hands with Joe Nieuwendyk, he is a proven winner, a hockey guy who players and hockey people respect and a Cornell guy as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Casey 91 View Post
No. So where does Hickey even fit in LA if he hasn't taken Harrold's spot yet? I ask, because I haven't followed Hickey's progress. You don't give up a number 1 center for him, if you want to talk JJ, I'm sure there'd be some interest.
The Kings went D in this years draft even though we have no serious prospects on the wing, that should tell you how they feel about our defensive prospects.

It's not a talent issue with Hickey, it never has been, its that he is a 5'10 d-man with injury issues. If he could stay healthy who knows he might be another Boyle or Visnovsky, but I don't see his value being anything close to Brad Richards, if Richards is out on the block at the deadline there will be a nice bidding war for his services, a 90 point #1 center, former Conn Smythe winner with an expiring contract, the demand would be huge.


Last edited by Herby: 07-21-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 02:52 PM
  #60
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets
 
Karitimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post

I really think you guys are in great hands with Joe Nieuwendyk, he is a proven winner, a hockey guy who players and hockey people respect and a Cornell guy as well.
I think so. I think he takes his share of **** because he hasn't addressed the one glaring issue yet this offseason. A few other risk reward moves (draft included) that he's made could really pay off, but it sure takes some time to warm up to them.

But then again, cash would have helped him build the protypical, fan approved roster.

EDIT: I like that he's turned the page by holding open the exit door for vets and in the process hasn't sold off the assets to get better immediately.

Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 04:13 PM
  #61
Herby
Culture Changer
 
Herby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 15,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Yep, I do. You can't measure what Smyth taught the kids last season about being a pro's pro and doing things the right way, as compared to talking real estate in the lockerroom and how you can't wait to bolt when you turn UFA.

Jack has a new daddy now.

You do have them in a bunch don't you. That's funny. Please come back to our board and defend your position on the Visnovsky trade that brought us Stoll and Greene. It was a hockey deal, no malice he was just making the team better.
And they couldn't have gotten a veteran like Knuble to do that, and not hand-cuff the franchise as far as the cap goes. Ryan Smyth is grossly overpaid for what he brings to the LA Kings. And his contract is haunting us right now in this cap world, if you don't see that I don't know what to say.

Jack has a new daddy? That makes a lot of sense, just answer the question, what did Lombardi trashing Red Berenson and the Michigan program accomplish?

If the Michigan hockey program is so bad as you and your daddy say it is, why have we sent more players to the NHL than any other program in the last fifteen years, after 25 years of poor coaching wouldn't word have gotten out and kids would have looked elsewhere?

Nope, because its just Dean talking out of his butt like usual.

As for the trade, I've said my part, it was a callous and cold move. How can you talk about loyalty to players after pulling a move like that. And for the actual players, I love Matt Greene, I am even thinking of getting his jersey, but he is no Lubomir Visnovsky, its a lot easier to get players like Greene and Stoll than it is to get a #1 d-man like Visnovsky. Stoll is a good 3rd line center, but we are loaded at center, he probably won't even be in LA much longer.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 04:25 PM
  #62
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 15,775
vCash: 500
Was this thread edited? I made some relevant comments that are no longer here.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 05:44 PM
  #63
LordHelmet
Registered User
 
LordHelmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 946
vCash: 500
Me too

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 06:48 PM
  #64
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets
 
Karitimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,356
vCash: 500
It was, why would that happen? I don't think it was infraction worthy talk.

Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 07:35 PM
  #65
Fat Elvis
Registered User
 
Fat Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Money Pit
Country: United States
Posts: 5,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Casey 91 View Post
It was, why would that happen? I don't think it was infraction worthy talk.

Probably because it went off topic, which happens a lot in threads when LA is involved.

I can see a smaller deal done between these two clubs, but not a big one. Maybe one that includes Benn or Brunnstrom for one of LA's young PMD's and picks or a goalie prospect like Jones. LA could use some help on the wings and Dallas could use some help on D or organizational depth in goal.

Would Dallas be willing to move one of their wings for some young defense or goaltending?

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 07:42 PM
  #66
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets
 
Karitimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP View Post
Probably because it went off topic, which happens a lot in threads when LA is involved.

I can see a smaller deal done between these two clubs, but not a big one. Maybe one that includes Benn or Brunnstrom for one of LA's young PMD's and picks or a goalie prospect like Jones. LA could use some help on the wings and Dallas could use some help on D or organizational depth in goal.

Would Dallas be willing to move one of their wings for some young defense or goaltending?
Earlier in the thread the notion of goaltending depth was snuffed out. 3 of our top 10 (fan voted) prospects are goalies...1 Campbell, 6 Bachman, and 10 Beskorowany.

Brunnstrom might be an option, but you might be able to get him as a UFA if his arbitration award is excessive.

Help on D sure, but this just turns into a Neal for JJ proposal, because we have depth 3 down, it's just the 1 and 2 role that need attention.

All I see is Brunnstrom for a pick at this point and I'd rather just keep him because you can bet the pick wouldn't be great.

Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.