HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which team will you take? (Canadiens or Lightning)

View Poll Results: Which
Montreal Canadiens 246 72.35%
Montreal Lightning 94 27.65%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-20-2010, 07:39 PM
Kensai Akatsume Ryu

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Kensai Akatsume Ryu
That's how you want to see it. Truth is simple: Thread title is crystal clear: What team would you choose (if you had the choice as an owner). Discussing about this matter objectively has no good reason to make one feel humiliated, we're speaking intellectual "Choose your EA 2011 team" kind of matters, nothing else.

Kensai Akatsume Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 07:58 PM
prevail

The Habs, because at the end of the day, this is my logo:

My Team. My Logo. My Pride.

prevail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 08:05 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
If we're in dreamland, would you rather have The Montreal Canadiens or The Montreal Lightning?

Rosters + Coach + GM
Tampa's are unproven in the NHL and over hyped.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 08:15 PM
WeezyHabFan

its called loyalty

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 08:19 PM
AntonCH

Les Canadiens
Miami Dolphins
Boston Red Sox - damn I miss the expos
Montreal Alouettes
Boston Celtics
Montreal Impact
Manchester United

Nope not a lightning anywhere in the bunch

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 08:20 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

This is the wrong place to be asking this question. I'd take my Habs any day of the week even if we had Matt D'Agostini-Jarred Smithson-Mike Brown as our top line..

GO GO!

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 08:26 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
There is reason to debate in regards to the roster. I would be more than delighted to toss Andrei Kostitsyn and Benoit Pouilot for Simon Gagne and Ryan Malone for example and if Vinny's contract was not a disaster, I would adore him over Gomez however too much love for Cammalleri and Gionta, in spite of longing to have someone like STL. Defense, ours is superior and goaltending, well this remains to be seen.

I would fancy Yzermen and his core of people over our present manage however. Additionally certainly would not mind Tampa's weather.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 08:27 PM
Patofqc*

How about the Lightning moving to Québec city, that be nice!!! Go Nordiques Go!!!

Patofqc* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 08:29 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
How about the Lightning moving to Québec city, that be nice!!! Go Nordiques Go!!!
I would love that more than you'd ever know
make it so

Old
07-20-2010, 08:29 PM
Kensai Akatsume Ryu

Send a message via MSN to Kensai Akatsume Ryu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
There is reason to debate in regards to the roster. I would be more than delighted to toss Andrei Kostitsyn and Benoit Pouilot for Simon Gagne and Ryan Malone for example and if Vinny's contract was not a disaster, I would adore him over Gomez however too much love for Cammalleri and Gionta, in spite of longing to have someone like STL. Defense, ours is superior and goaltending, well this remains to be seen.

I would fancy Yzermen and his core of people over our present manage however. Additionally certainly would not mind Tampa's weather.
Crazy thing is that the general population runs on AC all day long. You see more convertibles in Quebec than in Florida But for myself, I would surely run a 'stang next to the gulf' shore

Kensai Akatsume Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:17 PM
MathMan

Loaded, complex question.

Hockey-wise, IMO, the Lightning is likely to finish next season ahead of the Habs, and that could last a couple more years depending on what the two teams do. Their long-term views are a lot more nebulous. The Bolts have a number of excellent young players that are going to make a long-term impact, but the Lecavalier and Saint-Louis contracts is going to be something they'll need to carry for a long while whereas the Habs have no players signed past 5 years, and then only Plekanec.

There's salary coming off the Habs' books over the next few years so there's leeway to make some moves, but they need kids to pan out -- and they need to hang onto their kids that pan out and not simply feed their best young players to other teams. The Bolts have the benefit of two low draft picks, but those will command big salaries in the upcoming years. Basically, past 2-3 years, it's really hard to tell where the teams will be. They have a certain core set and a lot of leeway.

If you're an owner and want to pick between the teams, though, the Habs are a no-brainer. They have a fantastic marketing operation, and make money hand over fist.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:18 PM
Aurel Joliat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Where is the new colisée ?

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:20 PM
LMFAO

Steven Stamkos...all I have to say

LMFAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:29 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMFAO View Post
Valid point but....

Players are assets and like any asset a lot of things can happen
he can fall in love with a hooker or the KHL (or even worse both)

Get disenchanted with his team, coach, fanbase or his teamate cuz he slept with his wife

pull a reverse Laraque and fancy himself a pugilist instead of a hockey player

He can get knocked out of several seasons with injuries

He can fall in love with a bottle or a baggie

You just never know, I'd pick the organization over the player

Old
07-20-2010, 09:44 PM
Punkenjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSquid View Post
The Subbanator , Pocket Gio with his mid air goals, Cammy the Jewtalian Sniper, Eller THE GREAT DANE (TAMPA HAS NO DANISH FYI), The Price is RIGHT, Captain Gorges, Holy ''Lappy'' Diver, Eh' citizen Markov, Turtleneck Jagr, Gomez the Mexicalaskian, Benny the Poo...

I'd trade that team for no other team in the NHL!

-Mike-
QFT

this is MY team

Punkenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:52 PM
znk

Where was this poll when they had 66 points 2 years ago?

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:53 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMFAO View Post
He's good, but I'll be quite surprised if he scores 50 next year.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 10:13 PM
Marchy79

I live and die with my team.
I gotta pick Habs, cause they're my team.

Price, Subban, Eller = Bluechippers and you could potentially argue Kristo, Avtsin, Tinordi, & Leblanc are close to bluechipper as well.

Great experienced warriors; in Hamr, Markov, Gomez, Pleks, Gio, Camms, Gill, Gorges, Spacek, Auld

Good pieces, essential x factors in Carle, O'Byrne,Pouliot, A. Kost, Lapierre, Patches, White, Maxwell, Pyatt

and an interesting group of prospects to look in to...

Martins is due... he's not that bad a coach IMO... I like Muller, he should be the next Coach (if Martins is let go), Timmins isnt bad, Gauthier hasnt upset me yet, I still like the fact Gainey stays on as advisor.

All in all, I have to say I am gertting much more comfortable with the team than I have been in a long time... The ship has been rightened.

I believe this team is for real. Let the lightning bring it on... I believe our team wins 4 before theris does, and that's what I love about this team

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 09:19 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Hockey-wise, IMO, the habs are likely to finish next season ahead of the Lightning, and that could last a couple more years depending on what the two teams do. Their long-term views can't really be portrayed as the new NHL is a young player's league and young players can be quite unpredictable, across the board. The Habs have a number of excellent young players as do the Lightning, that are going to make a long-term impact, but the Lecavalier and Saint-Louis contracts are going to be something they'll need to carry for a long while whereas the Habs have no players signed past 5 years, and then only Plekanec.

There's salary coming off the Habs' books over the next few years so there's A LOT of leeway to make some moves, but they need kids to pan out (as all teams do) and they need to hang onto their kids that pan out or trade them to other teams for other good young players that fit a need (Eller vs Halak). The Bolts have the benefit of two low draft picks, but those will command big salaries in the upcoming years, depending if Hedman rises to his talent, but the same could be said of Price and Subban, although IMO, Subban could climb to Stamkos's level (impact), and both team could have much money to invest in their best young players. Basically, past 2-3 years, it's really hard to tell where the teams will be. They have a certain core set and a lot of leeway, but I see the Habs having a huge advantage money-wise, to spend on players.

The Lightning have to upgrade the defense, and their goalies are still experimental and have been since the Bulin wall left. Problem for TB resides in their revenues. Even with the new owner with bigger pockets, let's not kid ourselves, if the Lightning doesn't start winning again, fast, and bring in the crowds, they won't be able to save the ship, unless the owner is prepared to have a few seasons where he will end-up carrying the fiscal burden every year, as their balance sheet is one of the worst in the league. It's a simple question of profit and the lightning don't make any, they rather lose too much $. The next two seasons will tell a lot about the intentions of the owner. Will he risk going to the limit of the cap to improve the team, lose even more money at the end of the fiscal year, or will the Bolts have an internal cap, which IMO is even worst than any cap "hell" (aka "calm youself, almost half the teams are at the cap limit every season") situation teams like the Habs and Hawks live through.

As for the Habs, the money keeps coming in, can spend to the cap year in and year out. Next season, presuming Markov stays at about the same cap hit, our top 4 on O and top 3 on D will already be signed for a bit over half the entire cap. This will be 1/3 of the team for half the cap, but that 1/3 is the one that costs you the most, and in the Habs case, this is an average of 4,86 mil per for our 7 best players on offense and defense, which is close to league average, not league high (for next season (11-12), compared to other teams and our team this season(10-11). People keep saying how Gomez's contract cripples us, yet forget to mention that Subban's contract even things out. Habs will have more leeway to improve their team next year than the Bolts did this year and what they'll be able to do next season, unless people suddenly start going in bunches and their financial situation changes, or the owner decides to go all-in, they will be more handcuffed than the Habs.

So considering professional hockey as a whole, meaning team as a whole, I would take the Habs without a doubt. If we're talking of lineup only, I'd still take the Habs, because their force lies in what is needed to win championships. Markov, Subban, 30 mil of space and two important Ds going away who will leave much cap space and we'll probably have to replace only one of the two as one will be replaced by Subban, this is the making of a strong D core for the upcoming seasons, considering how well Gorges is doing too. Habs will be highly active next July IMO, they will have to because of the aging D that will go away. Don't be surprised if one of the big fish UFA defensemen ends up in Montreal next season.

Last edited by Ozymandias: 07-21-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 09:37 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

I can't belive this is even a question here. So many boners for guys who have not proven anything at the NHL management level yet. Anyone that picks the Lightning should hand in their Habs fan memberships immediately.

IMO there is no way the Lightning finish ahead of the Habs this year. Montreal has found some chemistry and with Markov playing full time they have a more complete team. F Gagne, he could have been a Hab if he really wanted when he had a chance but chose an easier path, same goes for Vinny. Stamkos and Hedman are great but I will take Cammy and Markov for the next 5 years thanks.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 09:52 AM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
very nice one ... ! hahah ...

oh well ... one thing is for sure. IF their season if blessed and ours is smoewhat a fail, the winter is going to be very long in mtl ... as we will hear about the french connection in tampa on a daily basis... oh painful it will be.
Especially for you, with no timetable set for the Nordiques' return to Qc......

JackieChan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 10:05 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

What the hell is this major obsession with TBL?

Who really cares if the have a ton of Quebecois?

Oh yeah...

I forgot where we are for a moment

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 10:18 AM
knuck
On and off fan

all the posts saying "wtf wtf wtf" are from people who didn't read a single line of the thread...

knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 10:27 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuck View Post
all the posts saying "wtf wtf wtf" are from people who didn't read a single line of the thread...
Doubt that.

This is bandwagonning 101, especially if you are listening to any radio/tv sports talk, its ALL about how great tampa is and how "Montreal is regressing and falling trapped into a system of mediocracy".

Another bookmarked thread for me

(i understand the question, roster wise, im big fan of philly, big fan, but still, habs number 1 no matter what)

Last edited by uiCk: 07-21-2010 at 10:39 AM.
uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 10:59 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

I'd trade our whole team for their whole team straight up, but hopefully, that wouldn't include Eller and Subban since there are not graduated yet...

Just imagine...

Malone- Stamkos - St-Louis
Downie - Lecavalier - Gagné
Veilleux - Eller - Purcell
Wright - Szczechura - Konopka

Ohlund - Hedman
Kubina - Subban
Clark - Wishart

Smith
Ellis

Their bottom 6 is pretty bad tho...

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote