HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

WHA in NY???

Closed Thread

Old
04-06-2005, 04:01 PM
RedLightDistrict

vCash: 500
WHA in NY???

Just a quick question. I have read that there was an original WHA team named the New York Golden Blades . Did they happen to play at the garden, and if so, did anyone here see them play?

Old
04-06-2005, 11:08 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Actually, the original WHA team in New York was named the New York Raiders. They played in Madison Square Garden and were one of that league's original teams in the fall of 1972. The team was renamed the Golden Blades in its second season (wearing white skates, no less) and was quickly out of NY, on to Cherry Hill, NJ of all places (as the Knights). Then it was on to San Diego, CA as the Mariners, before disbanding in the mid-70s. (Such migration was not uncommon among WHA teams, as nearly every franchise was on rocky financial grounds from Day One.)

Along with attending a couple of NYR games that season, my folks took me (a young lad in single digits at the time) to a Raider game one Saturday afternoon vs. Gary Cheevers and Cleveland Crusaders. I had had a stick signed at a local sporting goods store a few days earlier by Raiders center Ron Ward, who was the team's "star," and the second leading scorer in the WHA that first season. (Ward was a fringe NHLer prior to achieving his short-lived WHA fame.) Anyhow, my memory that day is of a MSG that was 3/4 empty. But it was hockey.

New York area fans will get a kick out of the fact that the Raiders' play-by-play guy was none other than John Sterling, now the longtime announcer for the NY Yankees.

You'll find the Raiders, Golden Blades, Knights, Mariners and other WHA team logos (all very primitive looking compared to modern logos!) here: http://www.logoserver.com/WHA.html

Thanks for sparking a fond memory from the distant past.

Last edited by Trottier: 04-06-2005 at 11:19 PM.
Old
04-07-2005, 01:09 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

The Rebel League has some good stories about the team.

Old
04-07-2005, 01:14 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1089
Two other books that may interest you:

Big Bucks & Blue Pucks by Murray Greig

The Complete Historical and Statistical Reference to the World Hockey Association by Scott Adam Surgent

The first has many cool tales.

Here is a link that may help, too:

http://www.whahockey.com/raiders.html

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 04-07-2005 at 01:19 AM.
Closed Thread