HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Would you sign Frolov???

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2010, 07:15 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

vCash: 500
3.... 2.... 1.... Khl

Old
07-20-2010, 07:50 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I know what that line means. How would you say they could do that? Put on your GM hat and explain it to me.
Bury Hamrlik, sign Frolov. Replace Hamrlik by one of many FA d-men.

Trust me, he won't be missed.

Old
07-20-2010, 08:21 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I would probably take a shot at him if the habs had some luxury spending available, but it would be something short term and below his market value.

But the habs dont have any luxury spending money so its a moot point.

Old
07-20-2010, 09:43 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Ellerection View Post
The more and more I pay close attention to what you type, I think somehow our brains are connected or at the very least cut from the same cloth. Agree.
Ditto. I've pretty much got the same conception of the sport as you do.

Old
07-20-2010, 09:54 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post

Frolov will cost close to what Hamrlik is making(5+) and a comparable d-man that can play top 4 minutes will cost around 4 mil(Bieksa?) so you'd still be short about 3 mil...and you'd have to commit to Frolov for 3-4 years.

Old
07-20-2010, 10:21 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Frolov will cost close to what Hamrlik is making(5+) and a comparable d-man that can play top 4 minutes will cost around 4 mil(Bieksa?) so you'd still be short about 3 mil...and you'd have to commit to Frolov for 3-4 years.
I totally disagree that a comparable d-man would cost 4 mill. Ridiculous.

Old
07-20-2010, 11:07 PM
imindoors

Never, if you look at his stats, his points are going down each year. Probably somekind of Cheechoo.. But I would try to sign him for 2-3 millions.

Old
07-20-2010, 11:32 PM
TankEller*

Despite all those Hamrlik debates, one thing is sure: The guy has to give more to the team than what he did in the playoffs. If he doesn't, he's just not respecting the team which hired him.

Old
07-20-2010, 11:55 PM
Max et Guillaume

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post

Right, he sucked so bad while Markov was injured last season... We should put MAB in his place, he's 10000000x better than Hamrlik will ever be.

Old
07-21-2010, 01:12 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalakRulz View Post
I would definitely sign Frolov just for the simple fact that he is young and he had some success and comfort playing with Cammalleri. He should come cheap since his point totals have decreased the last 3 years. Dispite his point production, I think he is worth a chance.

The only problem is fitting him in under the cap after Price signs. Price should only get between 1.5 and 2.5 million.
Maybe the org is trying to sign him but are playing hard ball in order to get a 1 year cheap deal. Then when we have the cap room next year and he's proven he can be worth 4-5 mil, he'd get it.

Old
07-21-2010, 01:17 PM
neofury*

Quote:
To be honest I was high on Bieksa when he was younger and I would love to give him a shot. If we could get Bieksa to replace Hamrlik and then sign Frolov, another player I was high on back when, I'd be super happy.

Imagine what the lineup would look like?

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Frolov (Anyone who thinks Frolov wouldn't net 80 points on a line like this is crazy, all three of these guys will make each other look good, I'd project them all to have 70-80 points if healthy on a line like this.)
Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta (Pouliot would have to play well, if not we may have an issue)
Moen-Eller-Kostitsyn(dare I say a 3rd scoring line with some size?)
Darche-Lapierre-Pyatt (this line I sort of tossed together)

Maybe switch Laps and put Moen on the 4th line?

EDIT: Oh and I forgot

Markov-Subban
Gill-Gorges
Spacek/Bieksa/O'Byrne (figure it out, spacek on natural side?)

Price
Auld

This looks fabulous imo.

Old
07-21-2010, 01:22 PM
Capitano

Anybody thinking that we'll have an 80 point man is a bit too optimistic I think. We'll be doing this by committee and we'll play defense.

Obviously I could be wrong, but I think 65 points from our top 6 is more likely.

Old
07-21-2010, 01:26 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
Anybody thinking that we'll have an 80 point man is a bit too optimistic I think. We'll be doing this by committee and we'll play defense.

Obviously I could be wrong, but I think 65 points from our top 6 is more likely.
I think with a group of fully developed guys in their prime, i.e. a line like Cammalleri-Plekanec-Frolov, 80 points is far from an unrealistic expectation.

Then again, I still don't think 50 goals for Cammalleri is that unrealistic, at least once or twice in his career.

Playing on a line with a guy who can net 40+ means you'll probably net about 75%+ of those assists. Factoring in the fact that playmakers also help other people score and often times score themselves, 80 points doesn't seem too unrealistic.

Remember, Plek and Cammy have a total of 5 years to build on this chemistry and they did great already in their 1st year together. These two players make each other look good constantly. I doubt adding Frolov to their line would be any different. Imagine if Cammalleri had not one but two dangerous players feeding him the puck. Opposing teams wouldn't just let AK do whatever and focus their attention so much on Cammy/Plek, they'd have to contend with Frolov too, and I do believe Frolov > Kostitsyn despite having a not so great year.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I haven't seen somebody miss more golden opportunities on our team than Andrei has in the last season or two. I see so many wide open nets he fans on, misses the puck completely etc. I want him to get it together but I'm beginning to get a little impatient and if we could have Frolov replace him now, send Andrei to the 3rd line to play with Eller and Moen/somebody else, I think it would be good for Eller and it would be a good line. Moen/Eller/Andrei is a pretty big forward line, for our team anyways. It would give Eller an offensively talented player to play with who is still young and trying to make his name as well.

Last edited by neofury*: 07-21-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Old
07-21-2010, 01:48 PM
sampollock

anything is better i hope, then ak sucking every year

Old
07-21-2010, 01:58 PM
saints96

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
anything is better i hope, then ak sucking every year
think of it this way, it's his last year on contract, his last shot, if he can't cut it, salut bonsoir! If he breaks out and has a great season, all the the better. Only time will tell, stay tuned.....

Old
07-21-2010, 02:06 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
To be honest I was high on Bieksa when he was younger and I would love to give him a shot. If we could get Bieksa to replace Hamrlik and then sign Frolov, another player I was high on back when, I'd be super happy.

Imagine what the lineup would look like?

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Frolov (Anyone who thinks Frolov wouldn't net 80 points on a line like this is crazy, all three of these guys will make each other look good, I'd project them all to have 70-80 points if healthy on a line like this.)
Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta (Pouliot would have to play well, if not we may have an issue)
Moen-Eller-Kostitsyn(dare I say a 3rd scoring line with some size?)
Darche-Lapierre-Pyatt (this line I sort of tossed together)

Maybe switch Laps and put Moen on the 4th line?

EDIT: Oh and I forgot

Markov-Subban
Gill-Gorges
Spacek/Bieksa/O'Byrne (figure it out, spacek on natural side?)

Price
Auld

This looks fabulous imo.
You can't add Frolov(5-5.5 mil IMHO) and Bieksa(3.750 mil) and only take out Hamrlik(we'd have to take salary back), it wouldn't fit under the cap. We'd be 2-3 mil short depending what Price's cap hit.

Old
07-21-2010, 02:11 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post

Gomez and Cammalleri, maybe Plekanec have a shot at 80 points, depending on how fast Markov comes back and how healthy they can remain.

If healthy Cammy is 50-50 to make it.
Gomez if healthy is 20-80
Plekanec is also about 20-80

The key to our offense is based on 3 things though...

1-Markov playing 70 or more games
2-the big guns(Gomez Plek Gio Cammy) being relatively healthy
3-the support guys(Pouliot Eller Subban AK Boyd Lapierre etc) have a better year than last year

Old
07-22-2010, 10:11 AM
neofury*

Quote:
You can't add Frolov(5-5.5 mil IMHO) and Bieksa(3.750 mil) and only take out Hamrlik(we'd have to take salary back), it wouldn't fit under the cap. We'd be 2-3 mil short depending what Price's cap hit.
Because of Price I agree, but I don't necessarily think moving A. Kost is out of the question either, and I don't necessarily think we'd be taking a lot of contract space back, don't Van want Bieksa gone anyways?

I was under the impression it was a situation where they wanted to deal him for a player they could use, not necessarily to lose cap space and then sign a good player. He has enough value to land a bottom line player with some grit.

Last edited by neofury*: 07-22-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old
07-22-2010, 12:14 PM
JayBee*

The Habs are set with their team... They got the guys they had targeted on the free agent market (Boyd and Auld).

Gauthier can pretty much turn off his phone for the next 2 months.

Old
07-22-2010, 12:15 PM
BraveCanadian

I'd take a chance on him but at no where near what I am sure he is asking.

His totals have been declining on a team that has been improving.

Old
07-22-2010, 02:23 PM
sampollock

love to see a big slap slot, at the point, but coin!!!!!! is costs

Old
07-26-2010, 07:59 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Today TSN brings news from Frolov's agent that he is talking with the Rangers about a 1-year contract similar to his other client Afinogenov got last year.

I don't know if it's TRUE that Frolov would like to play here, but if so, and if Gauthier passed on a chance to get him for $1.5M or less, when we DESPERATELY need more RH shots with size and some scoring ability, I will be very, VERY disappointed.

Last edited by BaseballCoach: 07-26-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old
07-26-2010, 08:03 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Today TSN brings news from Frolov's agent that he is talking with the Rangers about a 1-year contract similar to his other client Afinogenov got last year.

I don't know if it's TRUE that Frolov would like to play here, but if so, and if Gauthier passed on a chance to get him for $1.5M or less, when we DESPERATELY need more RH shots with size and aome scoring ability, I will be very, VERY disappointed.
If he can be had in that price range, or even as high as 2.5... We'd be completely stupid NOT to try adding him to the lineup.

Old
07-26-2010, 08:04 PM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post

I don't know if it's TRUE that Frolov would like to play here, but if so, and if Gauthier passed on a chance to get him for $1.5M or less, when we DESPERATELY need more RH shots with size and aome scoring ability, I will be very, VERY disappointed.
If you ask me, he'll get at least 1yr 3M.

Old
07-26-2010, 08:34 PM
shortcat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
this guy has the tools, but does he have the heart?

played well with cammy.......

comments folks?
On my monthly salary?

No way! I can't afford it.

Closed Thread