HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Carter next to go? (link to National Post)

Old
07-22-2010, 02:19 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

vCash: 500
Is Carter next to go? (link to National Post)

http://www.faceoff.com/players+could...185/story.html

Quote:
Carter has one year left making US$5.5-million, and the team could really use a goaltender. Despite GM Paul Holmgren denying a move, Carter has been connected to possible swaps with Boston for Tim Thomas and with Los Angeles for Jonathan Bernier.
Can this even be remotely true? I am neither a basher nor a defender of Jeff Carter, but Tim Thomas??? Really? The scary thing is I can see this, because why would Homer even consider dealing one of his 14 defensemen to solidify the crease? I can see it now ...

Q: With Jeff gone, do you feel like there are some deficiencies on offense? Do you feel like you have to make a move on the offensive side?

PH: "I donít know. Right now I would say, no, I donít feel like we have to make a move. Jeff scored 33 goals for us last year and we were third in the conference in goals.
"I think a couple other players had a down year numbers-wise. The blossoming of Jody Shelley, we certainly look for more from Jody Shelley next year, and the addition of [Jody] Shelley, I think weíre okay up front. In terms of the ability to score goals, itís just going to come down to whether the players do it or not. But, we were third in the conference last year with a lot of guys having, what I would say, off-years in the goal-scoring department. And now we have Jody Shelley."

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 02:36 AM
mercury

No, Carter is not going.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 02:44 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Mother****er - if he goes, I'm flying to Philly to make that nose on Homers face bigger.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 02:57 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Ugh, not a fan of Carter but I'd still want him around unless the trade back is balls-to-face awesome.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:06 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 150
Jody Shelley is the motha****in' saviour.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:07 AM
Pwood
B-B-B-Bus can't swim

Send a message via AIM to Pwood Send a message via Yahoo to Pwood
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
Ugh, not a fan of Carter but I'd still want him around unless the trade back is balls-to-face awesome.
Nice. My sentiments exactly.

Pwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:24 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Not happening. No chance in hell.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:49 AM
ELab2

Carter "has been connected to" reads like "unsubstantiated rumors". It is definitely possible that he'll have to be moved next year. He could command a cost that just isn't justified for this team. I have no problem moving him if the return is substantial, and if he has a good year it is going to be.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:30 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Unless Carter is moved for a top 5 goaltender he goes nowhere. Boston would have to add a great deal to even put tim thomas on the deal. Thomas has negative value due to his contract.

Then again, homer has been exceptionally ******** this off season.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 05:20 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Much rather he trade/try to trade Briere just because of that contract, but it won't happen.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 05:42 AM
Sanders418777

We could have traded Matt Walker + a 4th for Tim Thomas... why would we move Carter for him....

Sanders418777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 05:57 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
[url]

PH: "I don’t know. Right now I would say, no, I don’t feel like we have to make a move. Jeff scored 33 goals for us last year and we were third in the conference in goals.
"I think a couple other players had a down year numbers-wise. The blossoming of Jody Shelley, we certainly look for more from Jody Shelley next year, and the addition of [Jody] Shelley, I think we’re okay up front. In terms of the ability to score goals, it’s just going to come down to whether the players do it or not. But, we were third in the conference last year with a lot of guys having, what I would say, off-years in the goal-scoring department. And now we have Jody Shelley."

look at this. JUST LOOK AT THIS. i am overflowing with rage reading this. its impossible he believes this, right? these are the demented ravings of a lunatic. i hope a goat eats homer's sack, maybe that will give him perspective. nothing else will.

edit: SHELLEY IS ****ING 34. WHO BLOSSOMS AT 34?

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 07-22-2010 at 06:11 AM.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 06:05 AM
shamski7

Send a message via AIM to shamski7
unless we get marty brodeur in his mid 20's I dont want carter going anywhere. and that's not going to happen

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 06:13 AM
Jimmy Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
look at this. JUST LOOK AT THIS. i am overflowing with rage reading this. its impossible he believes this, right? these are the demented ravings of a lunatic. i hope a goat eats homer's sack, maybe that will give him perspective. nothing else will.
I don't want to be THAT guy, but I think the OP was speculating what Homer's dribble over loaded conference would sound like after trading Carter, should that happen. This is not an actual quote.......Homer is likely to say something even more ridiculous!!!

However, back to Carter, with only 1 year left, and the need to sign other valuable forwards at the same time next year, is there not the substantial risk that Carter makes us pay through the nose to keep him and we then run the risk of getting totally low balled for him?

Way I see it, (and I'm probably way off) unless Carter signs a new contract with us (which is likely to be a pretty high number) then we are pretty much going to get low balled next summer for him, no?

IF that is the case, maybe it would be worth trading for him now, for a top end goalie?

Jimmy Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 06:15 AM
Garbage Goal

Yeah, not happening. Homer has already come out, plain as day, several times and said that he's not trading Carter. Usually I don't trust Homer's word nowadays, but I do on this particular issue.

Carter has been in trade rumours for a long time now and they never come true so it's nothing different here.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 06:25 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Villa View Post
I don't want to be THAT guy, but I think the OP was speculating what Homer's dribble over loaded conference would sound like after trading Carter, should that happen. This is not an actual quote.......Homer is likely to say something even more ridiculous!!!

However, back to Carter, with only 1 year left, and the need to sign other valuable forwards at the same time next year, is there not the substantial risk that Carter makes us pay through the nose to keep him and we then run the risk of getting totally low balled for him?

Way I see it, (and I'm probably way off) unless Carter signs a new contract with us (which is likely to be a pretty high number) then we are pretty much going to get low balled next summer for him, no?

IF that is the case, maybe it would be worth trading for him now, for a top end goalie?
god i hope so. my brain isn't firing on all cylinders yet.

Old
07-22-2010, 06:27 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:

edit: SHELLEY IS ****ING 34. WHO BLOSSOMS AT 34?
You just made me lol. I guess the sarcasm smiley really does always need to be used. I like your passion though!

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 06:30 AM
GCM
Stork

There's no reason to trade Carter now that Gagne was gone. It was either Carter or Gagne and the decision was made.

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 06:33 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
You just made me lol. I guess the sarcasm smiley really does always need to be used. I like your passion though!
at this point, i actually, truly believe holmgren would say something like that. i have zero faith in him

Old
07-22-2010, 06:36 AM
Jimmy Villa

Yeah, the thing is, with how Holmgren has behaved this off-season, the media are having a field day speculating things to do with the Flyers.

Wouldn't surprise me if there is some journalist sat in a room with a hat for Flyers players names, a hat for teams to trade with and then he just picks a player from that team once 2/3 of the equation has been established

*PICKS CARTER FROM PHILLY PLAYERS HAT*

shuffles around the team hat for a bit

*PICKS BOSTON FROM TEAM HAT*

"Hmmm.......who can we link coming back in a Carter trade to Boston?"

It's lazy journalism, at best............I hope!!!

Old
07-22-2010, 06:38 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

wouldn't it just be great if pronger got traded? ive never seen a real lynch mob in person, seems like a good opportunity to get in on one.

Old
07-22-2010, 06:38 AM
Jimmy Villa

Quote:
at this point, i actually, truly believe holmgren would say something like that. i have zero faith in him
Don't get me wrong, it is an entirely feasible quote from Homer, it's understandable you read it wrong!!

Just goes to show the calibre of the man that a joke quote can actually look realistic!!!!

Old
07-22-2010, 06:44 AM
El Emperor

Does anyone know of any media outlet outside of Philly that has criticized Homer's off-season moves?

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 06:50 AM
Jimmy Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan333 View Post
Does anyone know of any media outlet outside of Philly that has criticized Homer's off-season moves?

Strikes me that in terms of the media in America/Canada, you'll get stripped for dumb moves in your own backyard, but generally elsewhere just report on the happenings, the facts. They don't necessarily provide opinion of their own?

Does any media outlet outside New York blast Sathers asset management?
Does any media outlet outside Calgary blast Sutters asset management?

I genuinelly don't know

Old
07-22-2010, 06:57 AM
Adam Warlock

I could see them maybe moving him for Bobby Ryan....but that is about it at this point.

Adam Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote