HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Darroll Powe resigned 1 year $725,000

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-22-2010, 11:44 AM
  #101
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerpinTaxt View Post
That aside, I dont expect Leighton to be "the roman empire of goalies", just saying that he has more upside then Turco. Obviously because Turco is on the decline, and Leighton could be on the rise.
Who says Turco is on decline? It is possible he does not have anythign left but according to who? Didn't Holmgren traded for Turcos rights to talk to him and tried to sign him BEFORE July 1st?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerpinTaxt View Post
I also said that Leighton is a stop gap until one of our prospects pan out (or both. Could see a Bobrovsky-Eriksson in two years).
Stop gap? You do realize that both Pronger and Timonen are not getting any younger. Both Pronger and Timonen did not have any serious injuries for about 5-6-7 or even 8 years while logging huge amount of ice time year after year.

I do not think Flyers can afford to wait on goalies like Bobrovsky or Eriksson unless those kids pull Roy or Ward in their 1st NHL season. What are the chances of that?

Since 97 we gave chances to Esche, Biron, Boucher, Hackett, Beezer, Cechmanek, Emery, Leighton. Did I miss anyone? Most of them are ****** ****ing goalies and career back ups no matter how you look at it or what their % was in one single NHL year. Not a single one of them is solid #1 goalie in the NHL for longer then 2 years. Those guys are stop gap. ****ing crap. with exception of Beezer of course, we got him too late.


Last edited by Kaktus*: 07-22-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 12:05 PM
  #102
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rocky Point
Country: United States
Posts: 24,130
vCash: 500
Just curious, what are your cap numbers right now and what do you expect to happen between now and training camp?

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 12:11 PM
  #103
CerpinTaxt
Registered User
 
CerpinTaxt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: KY
Posts: 526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Who says Turco is on decline? It is possible he does not have anythign left but according to who? Didn't Holmgren traded for Turcos rights to talk to him and tried to sign him BEFORE July 1st?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
He's got a better chance than Matt Walker or Jody Shelley. I'm not a huge Turco fan, but he is a real goalie. He's old and his best years are behind him. But he is a goalie.
I also dont think Holmgren traded for his rights, but was allowed to talk to his agent anyways, if I remember correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Stop gap? You do realize that both Pronger and Timonen are not getting any younger. Both Pronger and Timonen did not have any serious injuries for about 5-6-7 or even 8 years while logging huge amount of ice time year after year.
Okay? I dont follow you here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I do not think Flyers can afford to wait on goalies like Bobrovsky or Eriksson unless those kids pull Roy or Ward in their 1st NHL season. What are the chances of that?

Since 97 we gave chances to Esche, Biron, Boucher, Hackett, Beezer, Cechmanek, Emery, Leighton. Did I miss anyone? Most of them are ****** ****ing goalies and career back ups no matter how you look at it or what their % was in one single NHL year. Not a single one of them is solid #1 goalie in the NHL for longer then 2 years. Those guys are stop gap. ****ing crap. with exception of Beezer of course, we got him too late.
Boucher and Cechmanek were goalies we drafted that, despite having initial success, didnt pan out well. Esche played well for awhile. Biron played well, albeit inconsistent, and priced himeself out. Emery was playing well, and could of been extended, if not for his injury.

So if the Flyers cant afford to wait on the prospects, we should go out and grab a legitimate #1 goaltender yes? Well, I dont think the Flyers can afford to just go out and get that goalie. It would be very costly to pry a #1 from some other team, and there werent exactly clear cut #1s on the market.

If Turco was #1, why did the Stars trade for Lehtonen? Turco would be as much of a stop gap as Leighton is. He turns 36 this year. How much longer do you expect him to play?


Edit: Sorry, 35. Messed up on my math.


Last edited by CerpinTaxt: 07-22-2010 at 12:17 PM. Reason: edit: erroneus info
CerpinTaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 12:17 PM
  #104
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
I do not even want to bother lol..

Amyway, Guru. When is Turco coming here? August? 1st weeks of October? Around Christmas time?


Last edited by Kaktus*: 07-22-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 12:18 PM
  #105
clodejirew
Registered User
 
clodejirew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 365
vCash: 500

great picture with the article on the flyers website.

clodejirew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 12:19 PM
  #106
Snotbubbles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Michael Leighton's the only player on the ice all game for the Flyers (except those two times he was pulled). Was he the reason the Flyers lost? No. Was he a big reason why? Yes.

His GAA was basically 4.00. His SV% was close to .86.

If he puts together an average series -- let's say 2.5 and .905 -- we win that series.

And again...why the hell are people saying 'let's take a chance on Leighton'? We have a short window right now. You could A) go with a wildcard goalie who has been below average his entire NHL career save for about 20 games this season or B) go with a goalie you're familiar with who has been average to above average his entire career.
Forget the love or hate for either of these players -- objectively that shouldn't be a hard decision. We should want to eliminate chance or hope, not live off of it.
Who are you talking about here?

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 12:21 PM
  #107
CerpinTaxt
Registered User
 
CerpinTaxt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: KY
Posts: 526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I do not even want to bother lol..

Amyway, Guru. When is Truco coming here? August? 1st weeks of October? Around Christmas time?
Shouldnt have started then.

CerpinTaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 12:31 PM
  #108
chimrichalds18
the key
 
chimrichalds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Who are you talking about here?
Tommy Soderstrom

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 12:44 PM
  #109
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerpinTaxt View Post
Shouldnt have started then.
I said our goalies ****ing sucked since 1997. I received bunch of unneeded drafting history from you and your opinions Esche was good, Biron was good. Cechmanek was good, Boucher was good for a year. None of them were good. None of them were real NHL starting goaltenders. That is a sad fact. They played for us as starters because our management do not know the value of real goaltending.

They sucked. They still suck. They are/were in KHL and they are current back ups. That was my point! What is your point, I do not even know? Make it short. Please.

When I referred to Timonen and Pronger I was hinting that both are getting old and could get injured and our window to win SC is very very small so I do not want to wait for our young goalies to be good. We do not have that much time. We have 1-2 year window, max. With the way Holmgren is giving contract maybe even less


Last edited by Kaktus*: 07-22-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 12:48 PM
  #110
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 37,232
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertsGuns View Post

great picture with the article on the flyers website.
incredible

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 12:53 PM
  #111
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,377
vCash: 500
I'm happy Powe is signed, I really am. I still think he is worth more to the team that Shelley or Carcillo are.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 12:58 PM
  #112
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I'm happy Powe is signed, I really am. I still think he is worth more to the team that Shelley or Carcillo are.
Carcillo draws an absurd amount of penalties and is better offensively by a bit.

But Powe is a far better hockey player than Shelley ever was.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 01:15 PM
  #113
kicksave27
Registered User
 
kicksave27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerpinTaxt View Post
If Turco was #1, why did the Stars trade for Lehtonen? Turco would be as much of a stop gap as Leighton is. He turns 36 this year. How much longer do you expect him to play?
Some teams sour on good players for one reason or another, for none other than "hey, we haven't won a cup with this guy, time to go another direction" like the eagles & Mcnabb. Joe Thornton, Ed Belfour come to mind.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 02:18 PM
  #114
CerpinTaxt
Registered User
 
CerpinTaxt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: KY
Posts: 526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I said our goalies ****ing sucked since 1997. I received bunch of unneeded drafting history from you and your opinions Esche was good, Biron was good. Cechmanek was good, Boucher was good for a year. None of them were good. None of them were real NHL starting goaltenders. That is a sad fact. They played for us as starters because our management do not know the value of real goaltending.

They sucked. They still suck. They are/were in KHL and they are current back ups. That was my point! What is your point, I do not even know? Make it short. Please.

When I referred to Timonen and Pronger I was hinting that both are getting old and could get injured and our window to win SC is very very small so I do not want to wait for our young goalies to be good. We do not have that much time. We have 1-2 year window, max. With the way Holmgren is giving contract maybe even less
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerpinTaxt View Post
So if the Flyers cant afford to wait on the prospects, we should go out and grab a legitimate #1 goaltender yes? Well, I dont think the Flyers can afford to just go out and get that goalie. It would be very costly to pry a #1 from some other team, and there werent exactly clear cut #1s on the market.

If Turco was #1, why did the Stars trade for Lehtonen? Turco would be as much of a stop gap as Leighton is. He turns 36 this year. How much longer do you expect him to play?
So you just decided to totally ignore anything pertinent? Instead, you picked apart the things you dont agree with.

Okay, so we had/have crappy goalies. Your opinion, not mine.

How do we fix it? I decided to make it bold this time, to see if youd catch it.

CerpinTaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 02:21 PM
  #115
CerpinTaxt
Registered User
 
CerpinTaxt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: KY
Posts: 526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Some teams sour on good players for one reason or another, for none other than "hey, we haven't won a cup with this guy, time to go another direction" like the eagles & Mcnabb. Joe Thornton, Ed Belfour come to mind.
Eh, I guess that makes sense. Trading for the oft-injured Lehtonen though, seems to be like a big risk on a good player the team soured on.

Another thing, why didnt anyone else sign Turco? What he expects in a contract, his age and playing ability, or all three? Could be why the Flyers havent signed yet.

CerpinTaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 02:26 PM
  #116
Snotbubbles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I said our goalies ****ing sucked since 1997. I received bunch of unneeded drafting history from you and your opinions Esche was good, Biron was good. Cechmanek was good, Boucher was good for a year. None of them were good. None of them were real NHL starting goaltenders. That is a sad fact. They played for us as starters because our management do not know the value of real goaltending.

They sucked. They still suck. They are/were in KHL and they are current back ups. That was my point! What is your point, I do not even know? Make it short. Please.

When I referred to Timonen and Pronger I was hinting that both are getting old and could get injured and our window to win SC is very very small so I do not want to wait for our young goalies to be good. We do not have that much time. We have 1-2 year window, max. With the way Holmgren is giving contract maybe even less
Cechmanek was really good. In the every year he was with us he was top 5 in GAA and SV%.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 02:43 PM
  #117
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Cechmanek was really good. In the every year he was with us he was top 5 in GAA and SV%.
How was he in LA playing for much worse team? and in playoffs, how was he?

Thats the thing every ****** goalie looks "good" on Flyers team because we have strong team with zero goaltending. Alsways.


Last edited by Kaktus*: 07-22-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:42 PM
  #118
jd2210
Registered Non User
 
jd2210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,522
vCash: 500
I love how no matter how the thread started we turn every one into a: Homer hating, Shelly sucks, we need better goaltending thread.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:49 PM
  #119
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
I love how no matter how the thread started we turn every one into a: Homer hating, Shelly sucks, we need better goaltending thread.
To be fair, Homer as been pretty good at ****ing something different up every week or so to ensure that the fires of hatred keep burning well.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:28 PM
  #120
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,362
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Can't really argue here. Sending Boosh, Cote, and Bartulis to the minors and I think we have a little more than $2 mil either for a goalie (Turco maybe?) or just some cushion.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:29 PM
  #121
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 37,232
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
To be fair, Homer as been pretty good at ****ing something different up every week or so to ensure that the fires of hatred keep burning well.
stay tuned this week and next, when we lose bartulis through waivers!

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:40 PM
  #122
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
stay tuned this week and next, when we lose bartulis through waivers!
I think he's actually good until next season.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 05:19 PM
  #123
Snotbubbles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
How was he in LA playing for much worse team? and in playoffs, how was he?

Thats the thing every ****** goalie looks "good" on Flyers team because we have strong team with zero goaltending. Alsways.
.906 save %
2.51 GAA

Not too shabby. Brodeur was putting up .906 save%'s during the same time period and his defense was lightyears ahead of LAs.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 06:54 PM
  #124
Flyersguru
Registered User
 
Flyersguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,396
vCash: 500
For those who didn't read page 1....

The Flyers will be $1,477,740 under the cap when Bartulis and Cote are sent to the Phantoms.

Flyers will have 13 forwards, 7 defenseman, 2 goalies.

Betts goes on LTIR, Nodl becomes forward #13, no cap loss because of LTIR protection.

For those asking, Bartulis is NOT waiver eligible.

Only thing that happens to Bartulis is that he'll make $600,000 regardless what team he plays for.

Flyersguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 07:04 PM
  #125
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic
 
might2mash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Bend
Country: United States
Posts: 4,616
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Was watching Powe's goal highlights (there aren't many, I know) but I was kind of surprised that they weren't all crashing the crease goals, a lot I forgot about. Was bored and made another goal shot chart.


might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.