HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Reality for 2010-11: Post-Gagne

Old
07-22-2010, 12:51 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
He will. I followed him when he was in ottawa, the guy has some very underrated offensive skills, even then. He just needs a solid defenseman with him that will cover him like pronger does for carle.

I say 40 points, 10 goals next season
After his rookie season, he was good but not great in Ottawa... when he got to TB, he really struggled.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 01:06 PM
rban*

Philly doesnt need any more forwards, but from the FA list, the only one semi-attractive is MAREK SVATOS. 28 yrs old and asking 2 mil/yr? Not bad..

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 01:08 PM
rban*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
After his rookie season, he was good but not great in Ottawa... when he got to TB, he really struggled.
Philly doesnt have amy real solid Dmen to pair with Mesz. Prongs is needed for Carle, and the Timo-Coburn pairing is almost unbreakable.. so who is left?

As a third pairing guy, Meszaros will not get the partner he needs to generate lotsa offense.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 01:10 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
Philly doesnt have amy real solid Dmen to pair with Mesz. Prongs is needed for Carle, and the Timo-Coburn pairing is almost unbreakable.. so who is left?

As a third pairing guy, Meszaros will not get the partner he needs to generate lotsa offense.
Lets hold out hope the light bulb goes off and Holmgren deals Carle for some picks/prospects, and signs a goalie.

Old
07-22-2010, 01:10 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post

Yeah. Having five top four d-man, and knowing it won't be Pronger or Timonen on the third pairing, means that someone's going to end up with the short-stick. Unless they plan on rolling out seven or eight d-men.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Yeah. Having five top four d-man, and knowing it won't be Pronger or Timonen on the third pairing, means that someone's going to end up with the short-stick. Unless they plan on rolling out seven or eight d-men.
The upside is that O'Donnell should at least be a solid and predictable partner for the guys that end up on the third pairing with him... better than the young guys that were kind of all over the place at times.

Old
07-22-2010, 01:23 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
The upside is that O'Donnell should at least be a solid and predictable partner for the guys that end up on the third pairing with him... better than the young guys that were kind of all over the place at times.
The problem for me though is that all of our top four d-men besides Pronger and Timonen are unreliable as top four guys. Meszaros should be obvious as to why, Coburn has been consistently up-and-down the past couple of season regardless of who he's been paired with, and Matt Carle isn't exactly a rock defensively.

I just have the feeling that whoever gets the short-end of the stick here is going to get exposed because they don't have a guy like Pronger covering their mistakes. Meanwhile whoever gets to play with Pronger and probably whoever gets to play with Timonen is going to look significantly better then they actually are.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 02:00 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
1) Turco isn't signed, so you can't talk about him like he is. It's quite possible he's waiting to see what happens with Niemi and Chicago.

2) Meszaros better be an upgrade on Bartulis and Parent, he costs roughly 3M more than both of 'em. (Note: a completely unnecessary expense to your defense in July when you have other holes.)

3) Turco/Leighton is an upgrade, but it isn't exactly a world beater combination either.

4) You don't know what Gagne's health will be next year... and if he's healthy, he's by far and away a better player than Zherdev. Not only that, if we weren't egregiously overpaying on defense and signing useless players like Shelley, it's conceivable that we could have had both Gagne and Zherdev.
1 - I am saying, if we do, I think we are cup contenders.
2. I agree about this one, I am not in favour of this move, I think we really thought Hamhuis would sign here, when he didn't......Homer made this move. I don't like it and agree keeping Gagne would have been better than getting Meszaros. But here we are
3. It is an upgrade if it happens. I hope we don't make a huge mistake and overpay for a world beater goalie. We are not getting the legit ones (Miller, Ward, etc).
4. The comparison of players is not fair, I am comparing Gagne last year to Zherdev this year. IE. Zherdev should outproduce what Gagne gave us last year. Who would I rather have......Gagne.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote