HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Offer Sheeting Ian White

Old
07-21-2010, 06:46 PM
GCM
Stork

vCash: 500
Offer Sheeting Ian White

The Flames are loaded with bad contracts and are near the cap without room to sign Ian White.

He's a good defenseman and seems to be improving his play as time goes on. Since the Sharks lost out on Hjalmarsson and aren't afraid to offer sheet someone, this would be a good idea.

Plus they wouldn't have to offer nearly as high a contract as they did with Hjammer. Offering a $3M/per should only cost a second, much better than losing a 1st + 3rd.

The Sharks are in need of defense (not direly, but obviously) since Blake is now gone and I highly doubt the Canucks are going to trade Bieksa to a conference rival.

So thoughts?

GCM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 06:48 PM
SJeasy

No offersheet is allowed. He filed for salary arbitration.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/...ame=nhl-flames

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 06:49 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

That was easy ....... Easy

07-21-2010, 07:09 PM
GCM
Stork

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
No offersheet is allowed. He filed for salary arbitration.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/...ame=nhl-flames
Mah bad.

That makes it all the better for when Calgary walks away from his deal and the Sharks can sign him as a UFA.

GCM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 08:07 PM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

if calgary walks away from his arbitration award then i would go for him at 3 mil if we could get rid of huskins

Raym11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 08:59 PM
mrdonkey

The Flames are not walking away from White.

Sorry guys.

mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 09:15 PM
TheProfessor1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
The Flames are not walking away from White.

Sorry guys.
Agreed...if we want white it is going to have to be through trade. Clowe and a pick and maybe mitchell for white...?

TheProfessor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 09:26 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor1 View Post
Agreed...if we want white it is going to have to be through trade. Clowe and a pick and maybe mitchell for white...?
If we want White, it will be through trade but it won't be Clowe and/or Mitchell. The Flames cap situation being what it is will demand either keeping White and dumping Sarich onto some poor sap of a team or trading White for quality future assets. If the Sharks are going to trade for White, it's going to be something along the lines of Petrecki and a 1st.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 09:28 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
If we want White, it will be through trade but it won't be Clowe and/or Mitchell. The Flames cap situation being what it is will demand either keeping White and dumping Sarich onto some poor sap of a team or trading White for quality future assets. If the Sharks are going to trade for White, it's going to be something along the lines of Petrecki and a 1st.
If the Sharks feel Doherty has a higher ceiling, than I'd do that trade, I think. Maybe start w/ Petrecki and a 2nd.

It seems Petrecki is 2-3 years away - at which time, Doherty may be close as well.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 09:35 PM
TheProfessor1

Quote:
haha ya i figured that clowe wouldn't do it, and we have already given them one of our goalie prospects so they probably don't need another. Who are we considering our top forward prospect right now?

Old
07-21-2010, 09:49 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor1 View Post
haha ya i figured that clowe wouldn't do it, and we have already given them one of our goalie prospects so they probably don't need another. Who are we considering our top forward prospect right now?
The Flames having Karlsson isn't a big deal. He's just a backup for one year there and unrestricted. He's likely to go somewhere that will give him a legitimate opportunity to start. The Flames will still be looking for a quality goaltending prospect as they only have Irving, Keetley, and Ortio in their system with only Irving expected to do anything. I could see them having interest in a package involving Harri Sateri. But I think that would require either another good prospect to go with it or a high pick.

Logan Couture is still our top prospect at this point but he's just about graduated which I would think puts either Ferriero or Wingels at the top of the list which just shows how thin our pool is.

I don't think Calgary would really care much about not getting a forward prospect back if we gave them a 1st with Sateri.

Old
07-21-2010, 09:58 PM
TheProfessor1

Quote:
The Flames having Karlsson isn't a big deal. He's just a backup for one year there and unrestricted. He's likely to go somewhere that will give him a legitimate opportunity to start. The Flames will still be looking for a quality goaltending prospect as they only have Irving, Keetley, and Ortio in their system with only Irving expected to do anything. I could see them having interest in a package involving Harri Sateri. But I think that would require either another good prospect to go with it or a high pick.

Logan Couture is still our top prospect at this point but he's just about graduated which I would think puts either Ferriero or Wingels at the top of the list which just shows how thin our pool is.

I don't think Calgary would really care much about not getting a forward prospect back if we gave them a 1st with Sateri.
hmm sateri I would do that even though our goalie pool is our only relative strength in terms of quality of prospects.

Ferriero is tops? wow we really are thin on prospects outside of the crease. It looks like its now (next 4 years) or never more then ever. Wow totally didn't intend that to rhyme.

Old
07-21-2010, 10:26 PM
mrdonkey

Quote:
Kotalik is halfway to the KHL, Langkow could be on LTIR for a long time (he could even retire if his neck injury is that serious), Staios can be waived and buried. Lots and lots of wiggle room for the Flames, don't you worry about our cap situation. Capgeek doesn't tell the entire story.

Quote:

So many leaps in logic here. When did Karlsson ever say he wouldn't re-sign here? When did he say he wants to be a starter? Why can't Irving/Keetley/Ortio compete for the backup role in a year or two? Why couldn't we just sign one of the many available goaltenders that can't even find a job right now, until such time that one of those three is ready to take over?

Sorry, but it's not going to happen. White is ours and he's not going anywhere, hey was a key part of the Phaneuf trade. I think you're really stretching if you're seriously trying to rationalize why we would just give him away for peanuts. Peanuts that we don't even need.

mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 11:16 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Kotalik is halfway to the KHL, Langkow could be on LTIR for a long time (he could even retire if his neck injury is that serious), Staios can be waived and buried. Lots and lots of wiggle room for the Flames, don't you worry about our cap situation. Capgeek doesn't tell the entire story.

So many leaps in logic here. When did Karlsson ever say he wouldn't re-sign here? When did he say he wants to be a starter? Why can't Irving/Keetley/Ortio compete for the backup role in a year or two? Why couldn't we just sign one of the many available goaltenders that can't even find a job right now, until such time that one of those three is ready to take over?

Sorry, but it's not going to happen. White is ours and he's not going anywhere, hey was a key part of the Phaneuf trade. I think you're really stretching if you're seriously trying to rationalize why we would just give him away for peanuts. Peanuts that we don't even need.
Kotalik has no intention of going to the KHL yet. Maybe after this season is over but he's not going to ditch to go there and leave money on the table. Langkow to the LTIR is definitely a possibility but he is going to come back and all putting him on there does is delay the inevitability. Staios could be waived but Calgary's not going to do it so I don't even know why you brought it up. They paid assets to bring him in. Sutter's not going to admit that mistake that quickly. As much as you talk about me stretching it, you do some of your own with these assertions.

As for Karlsson, you got the kid from the Sharks. We've known about his intentions and desires for quite some time. He came to NA for a pro job and to start. He's not going to stay on a team that will leave him as a backup or in the AHL. Hence, his one year signing and UFA status thereafter. He's not going to have a chance at starting in Calgary. All this does is give him the quickest avenue to choose a good spot for him.

I never made the assertion that the Flames were looking for a backup in a couple years. That's not the intention of offering Harri Sateri. Sateri is a potential Kiprusoff replacement. How the Flames want to handle their backup situation between now and when Kipper leaves is up to them and not really relevant to my specific proposal.

As for the goalie prospects, Keetley's not going to do anything except maybe be a short term backup option. Irving has the potential to do something. Ortio is a question mark. There's no doubt that Sateri is ahead of Ortio in terms of development and potential.

I've never claimed that White was going to be dealt or the likelihood of such things. I simply stated what it would likely take if it indeed came to that. If the Flames need to move White for whatever reason, the timing will require them to take less than optimal value and even so, getting a quality goalie prospect when the Flames pool is light on them in that area plus a 1st round pick plus any other potential adds is not something to sneeze at.

Besides that, I don't think it will come to that. I think the Flames are likely to find a suitor for Cory Sarich or Niklas Hagman who will get them peanuts to make space for him. The Phaneuf trade made it all the more weird that they picked up Staios.

Old
07-22-2010, 11:47 AM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

I'm not sure White is what we're looking for - he's more offensive for sure, but not known for his defensive shutdown skills overall. He's a little small for that role anyway.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 01:07 PM
Wedontneedroads

vCash: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
If the Sharks feel Doherty has a higher ceiling, than I'd do that trade, I think. Maybe start w/ Petrecki and a 2nd.

It seems Petrecki is 2-3 years away - at which time, Doherty may be close as well.
this is assuming he ever gets here. if he has another year like last year his confidence may never return.

the sharks need a solid young physical defenseman, problem is they are impossible to pick up without sacrificing a lot more than a ham sandwich.

Wedontneedroads is offline   Reply With Quote