HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

STU Tommies

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2010, 04:51 PM
rantfather

vCash: 500
STU Tommies

What Gives with STU mens hockey ?

Questions-
Why is it that Coach-A/D Eagles cannot attract and retain sufficient player personel to rise above last place in the AUS these last 2 years?

Can it be that he is his own boss and has no accountability to anyone but to himself?

Eagles performance as a coach and recruiter has declined steadily since his hiring with no remedy in sight.

There was a time that STU was recruiting some of the best of AUS hockey,what has occurred since Eagle takeover?

Is it not time to initiate a full scale investigation as to what are the problems and what are the solutions.

I believe that STU is in an enviable academic position in that students can take advantage of different academic interests from UNB to augment any CV.

It is becoming more apparent that current recruiting stratagies and coaching leadership are not working to attract sufficient numbers of student/atheletes to one of the finest Liberal Arts University in the country.

Old
07-19-2010, 05:49 PM
TomBull

I am starting to get really worried. STU is headed for another last place finish and third season in a row out of the playoffs. I have heard from some pretty good sources that we have two recruits to go along with the Melanson kid and as it was put to me both of them are "plugs".

Eagles may be the very best person in the world but he is not a good university hockey coach. He had a decent recruiting season last year and a so called "better" team then the year before but still fininshed last in the AUS. Look at all the alumni that have left the program, how many of the STU hockey support network are left? Not very many as they can not or will not deal with Eagles.

The Tommies are heading further in the hole. I am not going to be supporting them this year as long as the same ole same ole exists.

Old
07-19-2010, 08:25 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Tommie Nation

Local Tommie fans are fed up! Rum Row has shrunk to the point that it is hard to hide your booze in the crowd. A shame, as they made life difficult for any opposing goaltender (ask Reg Bourcier) with their constant hounding and chirping. It is now an unpopular trend of excuses which have led to failure.
You cannot recruit Maritime JR players and expect to beat the top teams in the AUS.
It's the best conference in the nation and they need some solid recruiting.
Melanson has only 1 year left if I'm not mistaking, not much of an investment.
The Nationals are here for two years, meaning they should have improved enough to challenge for a birth, but the cats will most likely play in the basement.
Look what Pete Belliveau has done in Dal in a short amount of time, get my point>

Old
07-21-2010, 02:26 AM
rantfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
Local Tommie fans are fed up! Rum Row has shrunk to the point that it is hard to hide your booze in the crowd. A shame, as they made life difficult for any opposing goaltender (ask Reg Bourcier) with their constant hounding and chirping. It is now an unpopular trend of excuses which have led to failure.
You cannot recruit Maritime JR players and expect to beat the top teams in the AUS.
It's the best conference in the nation and they need some solid recruiting.
Melanson has only 1 year left if I'm not mistaking, not much of an investment.
The Nationals are here for two years, meaning they should have improved enough to challenge for a birth, but the cats will most likely play in the basement.
Look what Pete Belliveau has done in Dal in a short amount of time, get my point>
[B]Too many "not quite ready for primetime" players at STU! There have been some excellant MJHL graduates Ryan Locke,Justin Bowers and currently Cory Banfield with the Tommies but too many far less talented ones are taking up space in the line-up.
To be fair there are also a number of Major Jr A's who really aren't good enough for the AUS and another group who are being employed far beyond their capabilities and collectively had a +- of nearly -50( no need to mention names as everybody knows who we are talking about).

A very undermanned "d" puts too much pressure on probably the best goaltender in the AUS who on most nights has inadequate support( needs to be bigger,nastier and better puck movers)

Last years 2nd line is NOT and should be used less often and another top 6 combination has to be recruited to go along with the Wild West combination.

Current recruiting practices will unlikely rectify the lack of numbers required for STU to do much better than last year as most teams have improved ignificantly and no amount of "spin doctoring" changes the obvious facts that there just aren't enough and no likelyhood of many improvements,I hope that I am wrong and we will see soon enough.

Old
07-21-2010, 06:43 AM
Island Husky

It's not all that easy, AUS teams do not compete on a level playing field when it comes to recruiting. A fire hydrant can recruit ten top notch guys given the resources to do so. It has taken us a lifetime at Saint Mary's and Trevor's 14 years or whatever, to catch up to Dal's hockey school size, Still not sure we are there. Some universities are so much larger they have more employment opportunities. But I have seen over 21 years working with the team and probably 30 or more watching the others; Every place has its advantages too, they have to suck it up and work collectively, alumni, coach, and administration, as a body to boost the profile, forget the "we can't keep up we're too small the other guys all cheat Jack Drover mentality", just can it. Install a mean streak and bring the pride back in small ways one step at a time. I mentioned to Trevor this year, I remember his second year, the guys started wearing the team jackets again, there was a long stretch where they just didn't bother. STU didn't always compete up to UNB's recruiting I thought, but they sure played up to it with what they had. He needs to appoint a captain who has the ability tor organize and coordinate things off the ice, so they do things together. Saint Mary's football team goes to other SMU team's games, and they virtually win it for them, jeering, hooting and hollering. The hockey team is the varsity level team at STU, they need to be leading the way in the entire dept. STU has competed during some very very tough times in the AUS over the past 25 years or so, if they were going to pack it in, they would have done so by now, I believe they can come back, they've done it before.
For what it is worth, UPEI hasn't announced a single candidate yet either. ( that I am aware of anyway) and after what that team pulled last year, I don't like their chances of any funding increases from the University.

Old
07-21-2010, 09:50 AM
rantfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Husky View Post
It's not all that easy, AUS teams do not compete on a level playing field when it comes to recruiting. A fire hydrant can recruit ten top notch guys given the resources to do so. It has taken us a lifetime at Saint Mary's and Trevor's 14 years or whatever, to catch up to Dal's hockey school size, Still not sure we are there. Some universities are so much larger they have more employment opportunities. But I have seen over 21 years working with the team and probably 30 or more watching the others; Every place has its advantages too, they have to suck it up and work collectively, alumni, coach, and administration, as a body to boost the profile, forget the "we can't keep up we're too small the other guys all cheat Jack Drover mentality", just can it. Install a mean streak and bring the pride back in small ways one step at a time. I mentioned to Trevor this year, I remember his second year, the guys started wearing the team jackets again, there was a long stretch where they just didn't bother. STU didn't always compete up to UNB's recruiting I thought, but they sure played up to it with what they had. He needs to appoint a captain who has the ability tor organize and coordinate things off the ice, so they do things together. Saint Mary's football team goes to other SMU team's games, and they virtually win it for them, jeering, hooting and hollering. The hockey team is the varsity level team at STU, they need to be leading the way in the entire dept. STU has competed during some very very tough times in the AUS over the past 25 years or so, if they were going to pack it in, they would have done so by now, I believe they can come back, they've done it before.
For what it is worth, UPEI hasn't announced a single candidate yet either. ( that I am aware of anyway) and after what that team pulled last year, I don't like their chances of any funding increases from the University.
Island Husky should give his head a shake as Bob Boucher,the now deceased legendary Huskies coach who was the BIG DOG in charge of all those Huskie championship teams who would be turning over in his grave at the thought that Dal was EVER better than SMU in men's hockey and as for the reference that the recruiting situation is NOT a level playing field......I beg to differ,IT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY pasttime and depends heavily on the sales pitch and the salesmanship of the recruiter,the small school argument that they cannot compete for the best is plain and simple a red herring. Over 50% of all AUS players are in some version of an Arts program and the other 80%(sic) wanting to be math wizards can still do so within the Arts program.

Now with respect to the employment offers as inducements at the bigger schools is also just so much "hooey",there are probably the same number of light switches at every institution that require being turne on and off at different times of the season ,so equal opportunity on that one. I have heard that Mary's had a $5 million dollar endowment left for the exclusive use of Men's hockey???? it hasn't bought them more than one national championship.

Every school,including STU has a fixed number of Full ride ,shall we say "inducements" for the purpose of assisting those student/atheletes,the rub at STU as I understand it is THEY ARE NOT BEING USED and have NOT BEEN USED by current Coach Scrouge except in rare cases of excellance ( not a good plan).
Recruiting at STU needs a big upgrade to get back to the days that a level playing field is possable. There will be no joy in STUville until realistic evaluation of the assets and competant recruiting gets underway......it may not be Rocket science but current recruiting leadership at STU doesen't seem to be getting it.

Old
07-21-2010, 07:08 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Stu

Remember back when Laurier/waterloo hosted the Nationals and STU represented the AUS, that is what STU fans expect. When they knocked off the favoured Huskies a few years ago in Halifax and sent them packing. When they came to within one game of winning the AUS championship against an X team that would go on to play for a National Championship.
They expect to compete with SMU or anyone else in the league, right now they just haven't attracted enough elite talent. The new rink with may help recruiting, but they are losing a loyal fan base and need improvement!.
By the way, when has Saint Mary's become a model program?

Old
07-22-2010, 01:21 PM
Island Husky

I am not speaking for SMU, Red Army East, These are my personal opinions as this is a public forum. Now then, I didn't say Dal was better than SMU in men"s hockey. That should be more than obvious. Here is the line just in case you cannnot fathom it."It has taken us a lifetime at Saint Mary's and Trevor's 14 years or whatever, to catch up to Dal's hockey school size". Hockey school size, see that? You have to read the end of the sentence, see the point of the sentence is called the object.
It is obvious you don't know what a hockey school does for a program. So I'll explain it to you. The bigger it is, the more students they get, the more work they have to offer players, especially new recruits. I worked at SMU Hockey School and know quite a bit about Dal's. It was larger, far larger. It is further obvious you have no idea of the facilities each offered at its hockey school, Saint Mary's had its Alumni Arena while Dal had the Memorial Arena. I won't elaborate on the differences. Nowhere did I stipulate Saint Mary's is a model program. I don't know who is and on what basis it would be decided anyway. I'll say it again. Every school has its advantages, every school does some things well and some things poorly. If either of you two knew anything about the past, you would know that in 1985/86 Saint Mary's went 0-26, the result of a scandal the year before involving an ineligible player, nearly putting the program under, and for which ( since you seem to be confusing my personal opinions with some sort of Saint Mary's stance) "they" struggled to overcome for years and years and years. Trevor Steinburg took over in 1997 and in 14 years did what it took. But it took 14 years nevertheless.
As for the endowment, it was never publicized by the family or the university, but since speculation is rampant, I heard it was lower than that, and was to be used to build a new arena.
I'm not even going to bother with the rest of your arguments, trying to counter them, Rantfather, They are filled with "probably" and " I heard". But especially the one about 50% are Arts students while the other 80% are something about wanting to be..math wizards, I admit I don't understand the point, especially when 50 + 80 = 130.
If you can't see the difference between student employment opportunities at a place like UNB/Dal/SMU and St Thomas, no amount of explanation from me is going to convince you.

Old
07-22-2010, 01:50 PM
rantfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Husky View Post
I am not speaking for SMU, Red Army East, These are my personal opinions as this is a public forum. Now then, I didn't say Dal was better than SMU in men"s hockey. That should be more than obvious. Here is the line just in case you cannnot fathom it."It has taken us a lifetime at Saint Mary's and Trevor's 14 years or whatever, to catch up to Dal's hockey school size". Hockey school size, see that? You have to read the end of the sentence, see the point of the sentence is called the object.
It is obvious you don't know what a hockey school does for a program. So I'll explain it to you. The bigger it is, the more students they get, the more work they have to offer players, especially new recruits. I worked at SMU Hockey School and know quite a bit about Dal's. It was larger, far larger. It is further obvious you have no idea of the facilities each offered at its hockey school, Saint Mary's had its Alumni Arena while Dal had the Memorial Arena. I won't elaborate on the differences. Nowhere did I stipulate Saint Mary's is a model program. I don't know who is and on what basis it would be decided anyway. I'll say it again. Every school has its advantages, every school does some things well and some things poorly. If either of you two knew anything about the past, you would know that in 1985/86 Saint Mary's went 0-26, the result of a scandal the year before involving an ineligible player, nearly putting the program under, and for which ( since you seem to be confusing my personal opinions with some sort of Saint Mary's stance) "they" struggled to overcome for years and years and years. Trevor Steinburg took over in 1997 and in 14 years did what it took. But it took 14 years nevertheless.
As for the endowment, it was never publicized by the family or the university, but since speculation is rampant, I heard it was lower than that, and was to be used to build a new arena.
I'm not even going to bother with the rest of your arguments, trying to counter them, Rantfather, They are filled with "probably" and " I heard". But especially the one about 50% are Arts students while the other 80% are something about wanting to be..math wizards, I admit I don't understand the point, especially when 50 + 80 = 130.
If you can't see the difference between student employment opportunities at a place like UNB/Dal/SMU and St Thomas, no amount of explanation from me is going to convince you.
Rantfather will eat crow on this one and you are right to admonish me for selective arguing to make my point,spurious logic at best..........I love your energy and passion man as I am full of too much of it myself.
The 50% $ othe 80% (sic) reference and mathematical genious reference was meant to be funny ,I guess that I missed that one by "just that much".
I will try and be less funny as it wasn't funny anyway and I do appreciate your p.o.v and welcome it. ENJOY THE HOCKEY MAN and let's hope that it happens sooner than later as it's obvious even to me that I'm losing it.

Old
07-25-2010, 02:03 PM
STUTOMMIES

Exhibition for STU

The Tommies will be playing the Quinnipiac Bobcats on October 3rd and the Sacred Heart Pioneers on October 2nd.

Sat 2 St. Thomas (MB) Exhibition 7:05 PM

Sun, Oct 03 St. Thomas TD Bank Sports Center - Hamden, Conn. 2:00 p.m.

Old
07-25-2010, 03:31 PM
rantfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
The Tommies will be playing the Quinnipiac Bobcats on October 3rd and the Sacred Heart Pioneers on October 2nd.

Sat 2 St. Thomas (MB) Exhibition 7:05 PM

Sun, Oct 03 St. Thomas TD Bank Sports Center - Hamden, Conn. 2:00 p.m.
It occurs to me STUTOMMIES that you might have an opinion on the coaching situation with the Mens hockey @ STU.
Is 8 years a long enough trial run with which any valid evaluation might be made on the Eagle's record at STU?
I happen to believe that it is more than enough.

Old
07-25-2010, 05:20 PM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantfather View Post
It occurs to me STUTOMMIES that you might have an opinion on the coaching situation with the Mens hockey @ STU.
Is 8 years a long enough trial run with which any valid evaluation might be made on the Eagle's record at STU?
I happen to believe that it is more than enough.
Well Rantfather, I have been trying to stay out of this debate but since you ask I will wade in.

My former website was bombarded with comments concerning Eagles and his tenure at STU. I read them all and often times would verify were they came from to suit myself. There were many posts from the same people but there was many unique ones as well. I think it was a pretty well known fact that I tried to support Eagles and perhaps even defend him. With that said, by the end of it, the comments got to me and perhaps started to sink in.

Long and short of it, if STU wants someone who will work hard, be loyal, and honest they have the right person.

If they want a good recruiter, social butterfly, and friend to all they don't have the right person.

I know the statistics of the team and they are not flattering since Eagles has taken over. Maybe they aren't his fault? Maybe he is the wrong coach for the institution where he is the coach? Perhaps at a larger school he could have better success with a large course offering and unlimited budget? I don't have answers for any of those things.

I want and I have always wanted my team to win and I have little hope of this happening. I would like to see us beat UNB on a regular basis, that isn't going to happen either.

On the plus side I don't have to go to the games anymore if I don't want to and give to something that just continues to break my heart.

I remember a time when UNB fans use to hate the Tommies and wouldn't hold back on the insults. They pity us now. There isn't even any use to teasing them, as the only one that looks STUpid is me.

The UNB fans have been quiet on this issue. As our natural rival (far from the biggest for years) how do you feel about sTu's current state of affairs and what can be done? I don't think the media guys should comment in this forum but I do think they should pay attention to what people are saying here.

kexoduc, drummer, foyle, rob, super squirrel, squirrel for ever, what is wrong?

AUS Fan, Island Husky, Alpine, Blue Ealge, Timbit, what do you think from outside the Freddy district?

I got carried away, I'm sorry. Woe is me.

Old
07-25-2010, 07:44 PM
kexodusc

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
Well Rantfather, I have been trying to stay out of this debate but since you ask I will wade in.

My former website was bombarded with comments concerning Eagles and his tenure at STU. I read them all and often times would verify were they came from to suit myself. There were many posts from the same people but there was many unique ones as well. I think it was a pretty well known fact that I tried to support Eagles and perhaps even defend him. With that said, by the end of it, the comments got to me and perhaps started to sink in.

Long and short of it, if STU wants someone who will work hard, be loyal, and honest they have the right person.

If they want a good recruiter, social butterfly, and friend to all they don't have the right person.

I know the statistics of the team and they are not flattering since Eagles has taken over. Maybe they aren't his fault? Maybe he is the wrong coach for the institution where he is the coach? Perhaps at a larger school he could have better success with a large course offering and unlimited budget? I don't have answers for any of those things.

I want and I have always wanted my team to win and I have little hope of this happening. I would like to see us beat UNB on a regular basis, that isn't going to happen either.

On the plus side I don't have to go to the games anymore if I don't want to and give to something that just continues to break my heart.

I remember a time when UNB fans use to hate the Tommies and wouldn't hold back on the insults. They pity us now. There isn't even any use to teasing them, as the only one that looks STUpid is me.

The UNB fans have been quiet on this issue. As our natural rival (far from the biggest for years) how do you feel about sTu's current state of affairs and what can be done? I don't think the media guys should comment in this forum but I do think they should pay attention to what people are saying here.

kexoduc, drummer, foyle, rob, super squirrel, squirrel for ever, what is wrong?

AUS Fan, Island Husky, Alpine, Blue Ealge, Timbit, what do you think from outside the Freddy district?

I got carried away, I'm sorry. Woe is me.
All I know for sure is a few of my STU buddies are pretty down in the dumps and as good hockey fans it sucks that they're losing the will to cheer their team on. They don't deserve that.

If I were a STU fan, I'd have to ask some questions.

Seems the brass at STU either doesn't care about win/loss records, or doesn't have the governance structure and will to make a change. It's got to be one of these two scenarios because I can't imagine any other scenario allowing the program to continue this long without some sort of change in approach. If it's the former, that's fine, that's the school's right to live by that philosophy. Ain't the STU I remember though...

I guess STU like any other school should ask itself why it has an AUS hockey team, and if its current situation is working to accomplish those goals? If it's just to give people a chance to play, AUS level is probably an ineffective way to accomplish this as it rewards the privileged few, whereas club level teams can be better avenues to distribute the wealth and opportunity. But that's usually not why schools participate in CIS varsity level sports.

If it's to promote community, campus life, and the STU brand as a flagship program, I guess I'd question if the results are being met? In most organizations, the CEO answers to the Board. Methinks the blame directed at Coach/AD Eagles might be aimed one tier too low on the org chart. If I was a Tommies fan, I'd get these questions answered, and then determine how I felt about supporting the Coach/team.

I can't sit here and say with certainty that a different coach could do any better. Jadran Beljo wasn't coming to STU, JB probably still leaves, etc...some bad luck here too. A lot of CIS coaches don't do a better job than Mike Eagles, they just don't play 12 games a year vs Acadia, SMU and UNB. I bet a lot of teams go 2-10 or worse in those 12 games. Then you go .500 in the next 16 games against 4 other pretty tough teams. Tough conference to play in.

I do think the 2010 Tommies were a far stronger team than the 2009 Tommies, and the hate on for Eagles was at least a year too late, and didn't recognize this. But probably 7 of 8 teams improved last year so that didn't really buy much for STU. Maybe they'll have enough improvement from within to make a run this year.

I just want my team to win. I've never got any satisfaction out of seeing other teams lose. (other than good natured ribbing of a few Tommies fans). Probably why I was cheering for SMU in March.

Hope it works out for you guys. Everyone's better off with a competitive STU team.

Old
07-26-2010, 06:29 AM
TomBull

Quote:
JB probably still leaves, etc...some bad luck here too
I disagree. If Bowers was shown some appreciation he might still be there. If Eagles had recruited some players for him to play with coupled with the appreciation he would be turning pro this year. He said the PC things to the media on the record but why Bowers left was not a secret.

How many others either fast tracked their education at STU or just plain left early or quit???? How many players have brought others to the program???? These are subtle questions that nobody answers but they are part of the Eagles legacy.

Old
07-26-2010, 07:40 AM
FreddtFoyle

I've said before that STU's relatively limited academic programs are a recruiting hurdle, and I had an enlightening conversation once with former Tommies captain Kyle MacAllister about just that. In a nutshell Kyle felt that kids in the OHL, and that league, were paying more attention to academics and as a result over-agers coming out of the OHL had more options -- those kids now have the grades to look at getting into degree programs of their choice, and not just settle for a school "that will let them in". His words.

As Ken has noted, STU plays in the most competitive conference in the CIS, and if you're not keeping up you're falling behind. Look, I like Mike and respect him, but maybe the Tommies should follow the NCAA lead and hire a contracted designated recruiter, say someone like Tom Coolen who is now teaching locally full time. STU has some good programs, and some provincially-unique ones such as journalism and criminology which might appeal to hockey players. It is a good student-focused school. There is a great ratio of coeds to males on campus. There is a small(er) but loyal following and you get to be the underdog in the same market as one of the top programs in the country. Package all of that up, sell it.

Personally, count me as someone who wants to see a better, more competitive Tommies team. The STU-UNB rivalry is dormant to say the least, which is sad considering this used to be the most intense match-up in CIS hockey.

Old
07-26-2010, 09:53 AM
rantfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
I've said before that STU's relatively limited academic programs are a recruiting hurdle, and I had an enlightening conversation once with former Tommies captain Kyle MacAllister about just that. In a nutshell Kyle felt that kids in the OHL, and that league, were paying more attention to academics and as a result over-agers coming out of the OHL had more options -- those kids now have the grades to look at getting into degree programs of their choice, and not just settle for a school "that will let them in". His words.

As Ken has noted, STU plays in the most competitive conference in the CIS, and if you're not keeping up you're falling behind. Look, I like Mike and respect him, but maybe the Tommies should follow the NCAA lead and hire a contracted designated recruiter, say someone like Tom Coolen who is now teaching locally full time. STU has some good programs, and some provincially-unique ones such as journalism and criminology which might appeal to hockey players. It is a good student-focused school. There is a great ratio of coeds to males on campus. There is a small(er) but loyal following and you get to be the underdog in the same market as one of the top programs in the country. Package all of that up, sell it.

Personally, count me as someone who wants to see a better, more competitive Tommies team. The STU-UNB rivalry is dormant to say the least, which is sad considering this used to be the most intense match-up in CIS hockey.
Limited acdemic programs at STU?
actually there is an academic advantage for STU students in that they can take up to a certain number of courses offered in other faculties at UNB and count those towards their degree.
The quote from Macker in a court of law would be called hearsay evidence and I doubt very much that he said any such thing.
Pay Tom Coolen to recruit players for STU;why would you? when their is more than one alumnae who would gladly do it for no remuneration also I am aware that in head to head recruiting for the same talent ie Mat Hogan( to name just one),it was STU who was successful at recruitng Mat to STU and for a lot less $$$$$ than was being offered by Acadia.
I have 1st hand knowledge of this as I am on a 1st hand knowledge basis with the guy who recruited him.
Certainly many of us are missing the "days of wine and roses" but they eventually will return,all without the assistance of infidels.

Old
07-26-2010, 11:34 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Limited acdemic programs at STU?
actually there is an academic advantage for STU students in that they can take up to a certain number of courses offered in other faculties at UNB and count those towards their degree.
You raise a good point I should have mentioned. Back when STU won the AUS, several of their players constructed pseudo-Business degrees by majoring in Economics at STU and essentially minoring in Business Admin at UNB. And of course, who can forget when Johnny Lorenzo was apparently taking "Engineering" at STU, or so his bio for the AUAA All-Star team said at the time ...

My original point was to imply that STU is viewed as a liberal arts school, and there is nothing wrong with that, but recruiters have to work that much harder to assure potential recruits that they can get the education they're looking for.

Last edited by FreddtFoyle: 07-26-2010 at 11:37 AM. Reason: had UNB instead of STU
Old
07-26-2010, 11:54 AM
rantfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
You raise a good point I should have mentioned. Back when STU won the AUS, several of their players constructed pseudo-Business degrees by majoring in Economics at STU and essentially minoring in Business Admin at UNB. And of course, who can forget when Johnny Lorenzo was apparently taking "Engineering" at STU, or so his bio for the AUAA All-Star team said at the time ...

My original point was to imply that STU is viewed as a liberal arts school, and there is nothing wrong with that, but recruiters have to work that much harder to assure potential recruits that they can get the education they're looking for.
Thank you for those clarifications.

Old
08-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Island Husky

No problem, that ( my passion, yours, everybody else's on this site) is what also makes us, I'll speak for the conference on that one, the best in the country. Have been on vacation, well, away for weekends the last four weekends, which made for a lot of work during the week, haven't had time to get on and am only now catching up. Yet to catch up to it, but I assume everyone has heard of Randy Cameron at UPEI and Matt Boyle. Thought Cameron was a good catch, been following him since he played Midget in Cornwall. But this belongs on the CIS recruiting thread

Old
08-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Island Husky

Couple of interesting things, first the point someone made about most coaches and going 2-10 and then .500 against the others, very good point, just shows how tough it is in this conference for anyone, for the line between first and last I really believe is rather narrow. Not that you guys needed to be reminded of this. One year at St Mary's, ( and we were having a lot of the same problems STU is now), we went 3-1 before the first set of rankings came out and put us 7th or 8th. Then we lost 19 in a row and finished at something like 4-20-2. I also like the comment about if you're not keeping up, you're falling behind, which I think also speaks to the competitiveness, hell, ultra competitive conference I like to say it is now. But what to do about the current situation? First of all Hope, until someone says "It's over", there is always hope for change. I worked for SMu during those dark dark years, and believe me, the problems and things people were saying, are very similar to what is being said now.(about STU) We also had a fierce rivalry with Dal, our much larger neighbours to the North, and we also took a shellacking from them time after time, then Acadia got into it for good measure. The rivalries I find, are disappearing everywhere, players are such buddies with the other guys now, I mean, UPEI and Moncton were infamous by their rivalry, Acadia/Dal too. Secondly, I'm serious about enlisting the help, that may take a coaching change yes, as someone questioned " Hire someone who is a "social butterfly and friend to all " ( STU Thommie) Yup, that is what I mean. I have a very good and close friend who coached in the CIS, and refused to be that, and unfortunately for him, (I still rate him as one of the best coaches ever and a great recruiter, what he did recruit worked miracles) the alumni support dropped off considerably. What did Al MacAdam and PeeWee do that was different because I am telling you there were some good players on that team. One night they came into SMU's old barn, for a Sunday night game, after they had played down in the US, including against UMaine on Saturday night! and wiped us off the map with a 5-1 win, and they were supposed to be the tired ones! Dan Preston, Hogan, Pat Powers, another huge defenceman, can't remember his name, there were a couple of them actually. I mean those were high priced guys, Dave Gilmour... If it was University support..and they have cut it, entirely plausible, then to the alumni you need to turn. It has to be a collective effort. Jim Bottomley said publicly when Dal was going through a tough spell in 1998-99 ( they only had two years! tough eh?) "We ( speaking for the Dal alumni) will help him, but he has to ask for our help...". They're out there guys, bring them in, feed them, let them tell all their stories about how great they were, and get them onboard. One of the first things TS did at Saint Mary's was reengage the alumni after they wandered off aimlessly the preceding years.
Now to be perfectly honest, no trashing of the coach, or anyone's team, nothing like that, well...when we were going through that time prior to TS taking over, we hoped like hell, and sort of intuitively expected as individuals, that at the end of the coach's current contract we knew he'd be moving on. "You can't take these things personally", no matter how great you were, i.e. NHL or whatever, so said my favorite coach ever, Jacques Demers, to the attendees at a coach conference. It was hard on him after that, but he left and a new day began. It's a tough call, and admittedly, we didn't have to make it in the end, to collectively urge him to either change or move along. I can only support you guys in whatever decision it is. And good luck fellas, Geez I remember the days I used to just get sick at the thought of going into the LBR, and getting run out of the place....

Old
08-11-2010, 04:23 PM
rantfather

Welcome back Island Husky,I remember those mentioned well as I was Al MacAdams recruiter back then,the big guy on D might have been Quade Lightbody another of my recruits.

Al MacAdam entrusted me and co-operated fully in the recruitment of all those players of that era and supported my efforts in landing those guys but just for the record NOT ONE of those recruits received one cent more than CIS guidelines of the time.

STU had the good fortune to have had such a fine coach and todays version does not measure up and "THEREIN LIES THE RUB"

After 8 years of a losing record I have started to agitate a return to better recruiting practices that I hope will start the Tommies back to respectability.

I concur with your observation about the AUS being the finest in the land and take in games in all conferences annually to assure myself.

Looking forward to the beginning of the AUS as like yourself my passion is the hockey.

Last edited by rantfather: 08-11-2010 at 04:25 PM. Reason: typos
Old
08-12-2010, 07:10 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Welcome back Island Husky,I remember those mentioned well as I was Al MacAdams recruiter back then,the big guy on D might have been Quade Lightbody another of my recruits.

Al MacAdam entrusted me and co-operated fully in the recruitment of all those players of that era and supported my efforts in landing those guys but just for the record NOT ONE of those recruits received one cent more than CIS guidelines of the time.

STU had the good fortune to have had such a fine coach and todays version does not measure up and "THEREIN LIES THE RUB"

After 8 years of a losing record I have started to agitate a return to better recruiting practices that I hope will start the Tommies back to respectability.

I concur with your observation about the AUS being the finest in the land and take in games in all conferences annually to assure myself.

Looking forward to the beginning of the AUS as like yourself my passion is the hockey.
They haven't had a losing record in all of Eagles' 8 years. Let's be fair now. However, I do believe his best before date has long expired.

Old
08-12-2010, 08:00 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
They haven't had a losing record in all of Eagles' 8 years. Let's be fair now. However, I do believe his best before date has long expired.
last 2 seasons, they have had a losing record.

Old
08-15-2010, 09:10 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Welcher status

I have heard that Wes Welcher won't be back this season, playing senior in NFLD.
Another hole for Mike to replace!

Old
08-18-2010, 12:12 AM
Rob

Anyone have the Tommies exhbition schedule?

Closed Thread