HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Did Pronger drive the decision to add D-Men?

Old
07-20-2010, 05:38 PM
DenverBoone

vCash: 500
Did Pronger drive the decision to add D-Men?

The article on the Flyers website is written in a way that suggests Pronger has enough clout to sway the front-office toward these moves. His comments make sense. He couldn't do it all himself and the club needs to be able to ice a 3rd pairing it can rely on in key situations in the playoffs. I wonder how he views the goalie situation?

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 05:56 PM
Garbage Goal

"Get a reliable third pairing" is different then "ruin our cap situation, trade away our best winger, and get eight NHL d-men on the roster".

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 06:02 PM
mm6492

3rd pairing, not a 4M dollar defenseman....

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 06:03 PM
ilovetheflyers8

At the end or towards the end of the playoffs I think he mentioned not playing 30 minutes every night would be good but, yeah I don't think he meant take it this far. I think getting O'Donnell might've been good enough.

edit: Or maybe not? I'd like to think Bartulis would be okay wit O'Donnell but I don't know?

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 06:49 PM
turkinaa

Well with getting Meszaros and signing O'Donnell, along with resigning Coburn, we have 6 D who should be upgrade as a group along with keeping Bartulis (and I agree that probably a better vet in O'Donnell would help him). With Walker we now have 8 D under contract. I can't see Pronger having any sway over this, but he is right. By the last couple of games the team was tired, especially him from playing so many minutes. Of course, I don't think he said "Go out and get me 3 more defensemen for a combined cap hit of 6.7 million!"

This seems to be Homer more addressing an area of need (D who can actually be relied on as a 3rd pairing/being able to play more than 3 mins a game) by mistakenly/purposefully overcompensating (3 new D giving us 8 signed NHL level D) for a different area of weakness (goaltending) that continues to be ignored/swept under the carpet (signing Leighton). Yes getting the D was important, but the manner of which it occurred was idiotic and probably not an idea of Pronger.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 10:48 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
The article on the Flyers website is written in a way that suggests Pronger has enough clout to sway the front-office toward these moves. His comments make sense. He couldn't do it all himself and the club needs to be able to ice a 3rd pairing it can rely on in key situations in the playoffs. I wonder how he views the goalie situation?
Publicly Pronger supported resigning Leighton, who knows what he said in private. I also don't think the goalie situation is resolved. I could see Walker being dealt to a team like Minnesota for Harding or somewhere else for cap room to sign a goalie.

Re: adding to the 3rd pairing, everyone knew we had to do something. What we did was ridiculous overkill.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 11:46 PM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

Is it so crazy to think that Lavi will try to run 4 defensive lines, interchanging a few skaters on 3 lines? I have no explanation why you need 8 defensemen under contract, 7 above 1 million dollars.

Old
07-20-2010, 11:48 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
Is it so crazy to think that Lavi will try to run 4 defensive lines, interchanging a few skaters on 3 lines? I have no explanation why you need 8 defensemen under contract, 7 above 1 million dollars.
This is a big of red herring. Bartulis will be with the Phantoms, they won't carry 8, unless another deal happens. Technically, we have a whole bunch of D under contract, how many of them are on the NHL roster is all that matters. We have the most expensive D in the league now, but also one of the best - while still retaining a whole bunch of talented young forwards.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 01:26 AM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Pronger is so Machiavellian you don't know what he really thinks. Did he want more D? Leighton back? Did he want to play fewer minutes? Or did he think it was no big deal? He sort of said both things at different times. At this point I am not into finger pointing, the early days of free agency proved a detriment, let's hope the coming days make up for it.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 06:57 AM
CptCannon

Pronger to be the GM of Flyers once he retires?

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 07:44 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCannon View Post
Pronger to be the GM of Flyers once he retires?
I've got no problem with him running things now.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 10:44 AM
Sundevil9

I thought the need to add D-men was apparent when Lavi played four d-men through the majority of the playoffs.

That strategy seems to work through three playoff rounds, not four.

Sundevil9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 10:49 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Both Pronger and Timonen want to play as much as possible. They aren't going to be the ones to limit their own icetime. But the 3rd pairing is certainly far stronger right now and much less of a liability. Though, blaming the 3rd pairing for our SCF loss is a bit disingenuous.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 11:54 AM
BWAVgal
WAR FACE!!!

vCash: 50
No, Pronger didn't drive the decision. The Cup Finals did. Pronger and Timonen aren't getting any younger and our bottom two guys in the Finals were brutal. I think that drove the decision to add d-men.

BWAVgal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 01:36 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Both Pronger and Timonen want to play as much as possible. They aren't going to be the ones to limit their own icetime. But the 3rd pairing is certainly far stronger right now and much less of a liability. Though, blaming the 3rd pairing for our SCF loss is a bit disingenuous.
We lost the cup because of a blatenet coaching blunder in game 2. We were CLEARLY outplaying them in their building in game 2 and after our goalie froze the puck, our coaching staff decided to leave our 3rd pairing on the ice against the Hossa line, which had that same 3rd pairing chasing the puck right before the goalie froze the puck. With Chi getting the final change, why in the hell would you leave your 3rd pairing on the ice in the defensive zone???? Guess what, Chi won control of the puck, our 3rd pairing chased the puck without ever catching up to it, and they scored the first goal of the game. We were still a little stunned by the turn of events from that goal (WE controlled the game up to that point and for all our hard work we found ourselves trailing in the game) when Eager threw the puck at the net for the luckiest shot of his life and goal number 2. That right there was the game. If we win that one, we leave Philly after game 4 up 3-1 in the series and I can't see the Hawks coming back from down 3-1 in the finals.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 01:39 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
when Eager threw the puck at the net for the luckiest shot of his life and goal number 2. That right there was the game. If we win that one, we leave Philly after game 4 up 3-1 in the series and I can't see the Hawks coming back from down 3-1 in the finals.
Ben Eager wasn't born a sniper.

He was made a sniper.

By this man:

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 01:41 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Ben Eager wasn't born a sniper.

He was made a sniper.

By this man:

Just remember, he's getting ready to choke that puppy to death cause that's how he rolls, you know, choking. <cough> <cough>

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 01:54 PM
MSSLYNX

We were CLEARLY outplaying them in their building in game 2 and after our goalie froze the puck, our coaching staff decided to leave our 3rd pairing on the ice against the Hossa line...
--
I remember that vividly! Could not understand why...

MSSLYNX is offline   Reply With Quote