Ducks sign Defenseman Danny Syvret

Old
07-21-2010, 09:39 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostly Clueless View Post
I feel this might spell the end of Mikkelson in the Ducks organisation. Festerling will be the 7th and Syvret the #1 in Syracuse/first callup.
I think Syvret's signing is more to replace Salcido in the organization.

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Mooseduck

Ducks Official Link

I agree with Forbes re: Salcido replacement.

Mooseduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 02:32 PM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Looking at his junior career, how the **** has he been so unsuccessful at NHL level

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 02:36 PM
wesott11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
Looking at his junior career, how the **** has he been so unsuccessful at NHL level
Murrays probably saying the same thing

wesott11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
He's small for a defenseman. Listed at 5'11, that's probably a little generous. Giving up size on the blue line puts him at an immediate disadvantage, but he's also not...I guess the best word could be feisty...enough to make up for the size difference. There's no strength to fight those battles. And finally, his skating isn't enough to bridge that gap either. He's no slouch, but it's not outstanding. With smaller guys, you have to have that extra something, whether it's speed or grit or whatever to make up the difference.

This is something that was exposed a lot more when he played in the Western Conference before with Edmonton, compared to playing in the East with Philly last year, so it will be interesting to see how he does.

He was supposed to be an offensive defenseman, but keep in mind that most of that came from his 19-year-old season when he was playing for an absolutely stacked London Knights team during the NHL lockout. When you talk about his junior stats, you're only really talking about that one season. The rest of it was pretty ordinary for a junior-level offensive blue liner. In some ways, it is unfortunate for Syvret that he found himself as the powerplay guy alongside of Perry, Schremp and Bolland, because that explosion in production raised expectations.

After that, he washed out of the Edmonton system because he didn't put up points, but one could reasonably place as much blame on the Oilers development system (or lack thereof) at the time as on Syvret himself. He rebounded with the Flyers, but now he's 25 and there are younger players with bigger futures, both in Philly and now in Anaheim.

I stand by my Salcido remark. Syracuse will need an offensive blue liner to help carry the powerplay (especially if Sbisa is with the Ducks) and that's a role that Syvret filled admirably for the Phantoms last year. If need be, he can also fill in at the NHL level, but unless guys like Sbisa, Mikkelson and Festerling (all three have the equivalent or more of NHL experience despite being younger) can't nail down spots as the #5/6/7 defensemen, he should only see spot duty in Anaheim.

I believe Syvret was waived twice over the course of last season by the Flyers and cleared each time, which is a bit of an indication of his value. Players like him are a dime a dozen.

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 03:18 PM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Forbes View Post
He's small for a defenseman. Listed at 5'11, that's probably a little generous. Giving up size on the blue line puts him at an immediate disadvantage, but he's also not...I guess the best word could be feisty...enough to make up for the size difference. There's no strength to fight those battles. And finally, his skating isn't enough to bridge that gap either. He's no slouch, but it's not outstanding. With smaller guys, you have to have that extra something, whether it's speed or grit or whatever to make up the difference.

This is something that was exposed a lot more when he played in the Western Conference before with Edmonton, compared to playing in the East with Philly last year, so it will be interesting to see how he does.

He was supposed to be an offensive defenseman, but keep in mind that most of that came from his 19-year-old season when he was playing for an absolutely stacked London Knights team during the NHL lockout. When you talk about his junior stats, you're only really talking about that one season. The rest of it was pretty ordinary for a junior-level offensive blue liner. In some ways, it is unfortunate for Syvret that he found himself as the powerplay guy alongside of Perry, Schremp and Bolland, because that explosion in production raised expectations.

After that, he washed out of the Edmonton system because he didn't put up points, but one could reasonably place as much blame on the Oilers development system (or lack thereof) at the time as on Syvret himself. He rebounded with the Flyers, but now he's 25 and there are younger players with bigger futures, both in Philly and now in Anaheim.

I stand by my Salcido remark. Syracuse will need an offensive blue liner to help carry the powerplay (especially if Sbisa is with the Ducks) and that's a role that Syvret filled admirably for the Phantoms last year. If need be, he can also fill in at the NHL level, but unless guys like Sbisa, Mikkelson and Festerling (all three have the equivalent or more of NHL experience despite being younger) can't nail down spots as the #5/6/7 defensemen, he should only see spot duty in Anaheim.

I believe Syvret was waived twice over the course of last season by the Flyers and cleared each time, which is a bit of an indication of his value. Players like him are a dime a dozen.
Ah fair enough, thanks for that insight, makes more sense now to see why he hasn't done anything in the NHL.

Just seems he stunted his development when stepping out of juniors / was carried in that year in juniors.

Ah well, good signing for Crunch adds a lot of experience in the team.

Plus he scored a goal in the Winter Classic as Thomas was busy trying to knock Hartnell's [spelling] lights out

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Mooseduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 190Octane View Post
Maybe we could get Schremp, Bolland, Hunter and little Perry. Do it Murray.
Done.
http://www.syracusecrunch.com/News/Detail/2855

Well done sir.

Mooseduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:04 PM
Pepper

Don't forget Prust!

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote