HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Is Carter next to go? (link to National Post)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-22-2010, 01:25 PM
  #76
rban*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
I think we would have with a legit 5-6 d pairing. We came 1 overtime period and a game 7 away, it was ********* close.
Even with the existing D, Philly couldve with a decent goalie.

At the very least, if Leighton was half-decent a Game 7 wouldve been guaranteed. Philly outplayed badly the Hawks in both that third period AND the OT session. Philly was well on the way to Game 7 until doofus Leighton struck...

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 01:31 PM
  #77
MSSLYNX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 565
vCash: 500
Does anyone know of any media outlet outside of Philly that has criticized Homer's off-season moves?
---
Montreal media often cite Holmgren for being active and mostly right. Mtl would use a Zherdev to boost top 6 scoring and Shelley/Walker for toughness. Also sayin Philly's 4th line never fun to play against year in year out.

One exception: not fixing the goalie situation is a negative even from the Mtl media.

MSSLYNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 01:44 PM
  #78
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
Even with the existing D, Philly couldve with a decent goalie.

At the very least, if Leighton was half-decent a Game 7 wouldve been guaranteed. Philly outplayed badly the Hawks in both that third period AND the OT session. Philly was well on the way to Game 7 until doofus Leighton struck...
Yeah i bet leighton really thought, i know what will be fun, i'll let the ****ing puck in for ***** and giggles.

FFS leighton was a journey man goaltender that played his heart out and punched well above his weight for the flyers. Rip into the guy a little more why don't you. I bet he was dieing to give up probably his only chance at winning a stanley cup.

I love the way people blame leighton for losing us the cup. How about thanking the guy for taking us there, consider we were out of a play-off spot untill he showed up and gave us 17 wins.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 02:02 PM
  #79
agrudez*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Yeah i bet leighton really thought, i know what will be fun, i'll let the ****ing puck in for ***** and giggles.

FFS leighton was a journey man goaltender that played his heart out and punched well above his weight for the flyers. Rip into the guy a little more why don't you. I bet he was dieing to give up probably his only chance at winning a stanley cup.

I love the way people blame leighton for losing us the cup. How about thanking the guy for taking us there, consider we were out of a play-off spot untill he showed up and gave us 17 wins.
Most people do thank him, I know I felt much better with Leighton than Boucher in net and when he got injured I was honestly fearful of making the playoffs (rightly so, it would seem), but that does not excuse the fact that he is not a very good goalie and there were at least 5 goalies better than him on the market this year (Biron, Turco, Nabokov, Mason, Ellis). Three of which signed for less or slightly more money than Leighton, the other went home to mother Russia because he was getting lowballed (hello buyer's market for goalies) and the other is still jobless almost a month into free agency.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 02:10 PM
  #80
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Yeah i bet leighton really thought, i know what will be fun, i'll let the ****ing puck in for ***** and giggles.

FFS leighton was a journey man goaltender that played his heart out and punched well above his weight for the flyers. Rip into the guy a little more why don't you. I bet he was dieing to give up probably his only chance at winning a stanley cup.

I love the way people blame leighton for losing us the cup. How about thanking the guy for taking us there, consider we were out of a play-off spot untill he showed up and gave us 17 wins.
Lets get something straight: Chris Pronger and Mike Richards took us there.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 02:18 PM
  #81
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Yeah i bet leighton really thought, i know what will be fun, i'll let the ****ing puck in for ***** and giggles.

FFS leighton was a journey man goaltender that played his heart out and punched well above his weight for the flyers. Rip into the guy a little more why don't you. I bet he was dieing to give up probably his only chance at winning a stanley cup.

I love the way people blame leighton for losing us the cup. How about thanking the guy for taking us there, consider we were out of a play-off spot untill he showed up and gave us 17 wins.
1) No one single player is responsible for getting a team anywhere. It's a team game for ****s sakes.

2) Even if it were up to one or two players to take their team somewhere, it was Pronger, Laviolette, and Richards that brought us to where we got last year. Not Leighton.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 02:21 PM
  #82
Murphy7
Drop the puck
 
Murphy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country:
Posts: 1,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
I never did understand this whole 'lose a player for nothing' BS. Carter makes, what? 5, 6 mil a year?

SO why does Philly have to trade him for 'something substantial'?

If he leaves next year, then guess what? Flyers have 5 or 6 million xtra dollars to go shopping with. Both in cash and available capspace.

There is no such thing as 'losing a player for nothing'. U 'lose' a player, u free up a bundle of cash. Head to Macy's and start splurging.

And forget about the notion of ' there'll be nothing to buy, available FA pool may be thin next year'. For that kind of cash, there'll ALWAYS be somethig available that can help ur team.

Cash and freed up capspace is king. Always.
None of us are worried about next year at this point. Homer isn't, why should we? Our concern is the remote possibility of dealing Carter this year for minimal return (a remote possibility being bandied about by the mainstream media).
If Carter bolts next season as an RFA, the Flyers will take the picks and the available cap space and prep for a 2011-12 run at a Cup and begin to stock the future talent pool.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 02:24 PM
  #83
phlocky
Registered User
 
phlocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,132
vCash: 500
I ****ing Skellator trades Carter for Thomas I may become so enraged that I personally take a crowbar and bash his ****ing brains in and follow that up with ******** down his throat!!!!

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:09 PM
  #84
agrudez*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
I ****ing Skellator trades Carter for Thomas I may become so enraged that I personally take a crowbar and bash his ****ing brains in and follow that up with ******** down his throat!!!!
The third asterisk'd word is puzzling me.... I am usually good at these.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:10 PM
  #85
bennysflyers16
Registered User
 
bennysflyers16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,525
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
The third asterisk'd word is puzzling me.... I am usually good at these.
What is Pooping ?

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:13 PM
  #86
phillyfanatic
Registered User
 
phillyfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Lets get something straight: Chris Pronger and Mike Richards took us there.
Your wrong there Jester. Daniel Briere ring any bells? Hartnell? Leino? Giroux? Gagne? The team played great, Pronger and Richards were great, but the whole team was outstanding to beat New Jersey (including Boucher). The team played amazing to beat the Bruins in 4 straight (including Leighton). The team played amazing against the Habs (including Leighton).

It was by no means a two man show. Agreed?

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:15 PM
  #87
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Your wrong there Jester. Daniel Briere ring any bells? Hartnell? Leino? Giroux? Gagne? The team played great, Pronger and Richards were great, but the whole team was outstanding to beat New Jersey (including Boucher). The team played amazing to beat the Bruins in 4 straight (including Leighton). The team played amazing against the Habs (including Leighton).

It was by no means a two man show. Agreed?
Without Richards and/or Pronger we don't make the playoffs. Especially Pronger.

Without Pronger it's arguable that we're a cellar dweller.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:16 PM
  #88
agrudez*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
What is Pooping ?
It is an eight letter word and is something one can stick down another's throad...

All I can come up with is bull****, but the bull wouldn't be censored and the context doesn't fit. Truly baffling...

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:23 PM
  #89
healthyscratch
Registered User
 
healthyscratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
It is an eight letter word and is something one can stick down another's throad...

All I can come up with is bull****, but the bull wouldn't be censored and the context doesn't fit. Truly baffling...
What's another curse word for pooping??

healthyscratch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:38 PM
  #90
jd2210
Registered Non User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Shelley is the Superstar.

Walker is the Franchise.
Shelly=Superstar and Walker=Warrior

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:41 PM
  #91
Jimmy Villa
Registered User
 
Jimmy Villa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bristol
Country: England
Posts: 549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
What's another curse word for pooping??
S-H-I-T-T-I-N-G?

Do I win?!?


Jimmy Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:43 PM
  #92
Jimmy Villa
Registered User
 
Jimmy Villa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bristol
Country: England
Posts: 549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
I never did understand this whole 'lose a player for nothing' BS. Carter makes, what? 5, 6 mil a year?

SO why does Philly have to trade him for 'something substantial'?

If he leaves next year, then guess what? Flyers have 5 or 6 million xtra dollars to go shopping with. Both in cash and available capspace.

There is no such thing as 'losing a player for nothing'. U 'lose' a player, u free up a bundle of cash. Head to Macy's and start splurging.

And forget about the notion of ' there'll be nothing to buy, available FA pool may be thin next year'. For that kind of cash, there'll ALWAYS be somethig available that can help ur team.

Cash and freed up capspace is king. Always.
Most teams, I would agree.........But did you SEE how Holmgren has managed this off season?!?

Can you imagine what contract he could come up with having 5 or 6 million dollars at his disposal?!?

My god, think of the massacre

Jimmy Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:44 PM
  #93
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,454
vCash: 500
No Way

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.