HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are you comfortable with Leighton and Boucher duo 2010-11?

View Poll Results: Are you comfortable with Leighton and Boucher duo 2010-11?
Yes 14 10.14%
No 74 53.62%
What can you do? 50 36.23%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-22-2010, 03:54 PM
Kaktus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Yes I do. I don't get uncomfortable until I know it's a problem.
By that time, we won't have cap room for anythign good.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:00 PM
ArmchairGM

Would prefer a better tandem, but I am ok with Leighton for now. Would have preferred a better situation given how much cap space we had to spend. Unlike most, I don't think Leighton is ECHL fodder.

ArmchairGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:02 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Where's Emery? He's not listed on the roster, Parent gone too.

I see a pattern here. Those two along with Gagne and Tollefsen had injury problems last season, Homer "fired" all four of them. If you sign with the Flyers you better not get injured
Briere
Betts
Powe
Lappy
Carter
Leighton
Boucher

All suffered injuries of some description last year, and yet they're magically still Flyers....

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:03 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Briere
Betts
Powe
Lappy
Carter
Leighton
Boucher

All suffered injuries of some description last year, and yet they're magically still Flyers....
Considering none of them are defensemen, they're probably on the way out too.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Bryz4shiz

No, I don't see how any one could be confident. Hell, its possible that it could work well, but there are lots of potential pitfalls, like injuries for one.

For the record I'd rather have OKT and more cap room/Gagne than Meszaros or Walker.

Bryz4shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:04 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10KeithLeClair25 View Post
No, I don't see how any one could be confident. Hell, its possible that it could work well, but there are lots of potential pitfalls, like injuries for one.

For the record I'd rather have OKT and more cap room/Gagne than Meszaros or Walker.
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. You don't know what you're saying.....

Old
07-22-2010, 04:06 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
By that time, we won't have cap room for anythign good.
With the options they have to work Turco in, if it gets to that point, they have bigger problems than goaltending, and I'll gladly jump on to the Fire Homer bandwagon. Until then, we'll see.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
With the options they have to work Turco in, if it gets to that point, they have bigger problems than goaltending, and I'll gladly jump on to the Fire Homer bandwagon. Until then, we'll see.
What problems? The only other problem I can see from over here is discipline. Was that what you were referring to?

Discipline is not even a problem under current head coach. It’s a working progress. Now, if we still had J.Stevens then yes. It is unsolvable problem.

Old
07-22-2010, 04:19 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
What problems? The only other problem I can see from over here is discipline. Was that what you were referring to?

Discipline is not even a problem under current head coach. It’s a working progress. Now, if we still had J.Stevens then yes. It is unsolvable problem.
Management.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:20 PM
Jester

However, asking where Emery is and arguing that there is is some conspiracy against injured players... high comedy. I mean, why wouldn't Homer re-sign a guy that as of now is physically incapable of playing hockey and may never be able to play again? It's just the right thing to do!

Last edited by GKJ: 07-22-2010 at 06:52 PM. Reason: QDP
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:20 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:

It's amazing what giving each player a clearly defined role and meeting with them regularly for frank discussion can do for a team.

I think that's like, I dunno, leadership.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:21 PM
phillyfanatic

I voted Yes - I was hoping Leighton would come back early from injury in the playoffs, play well and show that his regular season was no fluke. He did that, got spanked in the finals, but I am OK with Leighton to start the season. I understand this will come with a major flaming.

My preference would be Leighton/Turco, but if we started the season tomorrow, I have confidence in Leighton - especially in front of this team. Sorry, I should have just left this post alone.....

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:23 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
I voted Yes - I was hoping Leighton would come back early from injury in the playoffs, play well and show that his regular season was no fluke. He did that, got spanked in the finals, but I am OK with Leighton to start the season. I understand this will come with a major flaming.

My preference would be Leighton/Turco, but if we started the season tomorrow, I have confidence in Leighton - especially in front of this team. Sorry, I should have just left this post alone.....
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I don't happen to agree with it, but then you don't agree with mine. There's only a problem if one of us chooses to be a dick about it.

Old
07-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Terence Peterman

Anyone who says "yes" is either a troll or a jolly green dumbass.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:25 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I'm sure he didn't, it just wasn't here.

However, asking where Emery is and arguing that there is is some conspiracy against injured players... high comedy. I mean, why wouldn't Homer re-sign a guy that as of now is physically incapable of playing hockey and may ever be able to play again? It's just the right thing to do!
You know what else is? Giving Leighton the reins. Why not? He's a good guy! He deserves it! He's paid his dues!

Pay no attention to his NHL statistics and his body of work as a whole. Matter of fact, don't even pay attention to how he looks when you actually watch him play. Holmgren has shown that he knows exactly what he's doing -- so let's just sit back and enjoy the Michael Leighton years.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:27 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
It's amazing what giving each player a clearly defined role and meeting with them regularly for frank discussion can do for a team.

I think that's like, I dunno, leadership.
Leadership or no leadership. When head coach lays down a low and makes some of your core players bag skate. You know where leadership is coming from. In hockey a lots of times is starts with head coach unless you have well oiled machine like NJ Devils in mid 90th, same thing you could say about now days Red Wings, or wings under Yzerman.

Old
07-22-2010, 04:27 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I don't happen to agree with it, but then you don't agree with mine. There's only a problem if one of us chooses to be a dick about it.
Agreed. I know where you stand and you know where I stand. If 50 games into next year Leighton is having a Craig Anderson year, then I won't be here saying - see, told ya - but I will be very happy. If 50 games into next year Backlund is starting, I fully suspect everyone to be saying, see Homer, told ya. And honestly, that would be correct. Even though I have faith in Leighton, I 100% agree that Homer is taking a HUGE risk here. Again, my preference would be Leighton/Turco. But I do like Leighton. And hopefully, I am not being a dick about it

Old
07-22-2010, 04:29 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Agreed. I know where you stand and you know where I stand. If 50 games into next year Leighton is having a Craig Anderson year, then I won't be here saying - see, told ya - but I will be very happy. If 50 games into next year Backlund is starting, I fully suspect everyone to be saying, see Homer, told ya. And honestly, that would be correct. Even though I have faith in Leighton, I 100% agree that Homer is taking a HUGE risk here. Again, my preference would be Leighton/Turco. But I do like Leighton. And hopefully, I am not being a dick about it
Turco is a gamble and I'd want Leighton as the backup in case **** goes wrong.

But there is a better than average chance that an aging Turco with our defense in front of him can make a strong return to form.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:32 PM
Wolfy*
The Hobbit Rules!

Quote:
Briere
Betts
Powe
Lappy
Carter
Leighton
Boucher

I did not include a sore thumb. Two weeks or more on IR and you can obviously kiss your future as a Flyer goodbye. That's bad I'd say.

Wolfy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:33 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
My issue is that, I think even Backlund could post a .905-.910 sv% with our team. I genuinely don't believe it's going to be difficult to play behind our squad. As someone (I believe Jester) said earlier, I'm of the belief that whoever is in net will be fine against most squads, but struggle against the better ones.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:33 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Where's Emery? He's not listed on the roster, Parent gone too.

I see a pattern here. Those two along with Gagne and Tollefsen had injury problems last season, Homer "fired" all four of them. If you sign with the Flyers you better not get injured

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:38 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Until they prove they can't be trusted, there is no reason not to trust them. Boucher played great when he had. As did Leighton. Would I like a better option? Of course. But I am not going to call the season over because of the duo that backstopped the team to an Eastern Conference Championship.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:42 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Until they prove they can't be trusted, there is no reason not to trust them. Boucher played great when he had. As did Leighton. Would I like a better option? Of course. But I am not going to call the season over because of the duo that backstopped the team to an Eastern Conference Championship.
They kind of have proven that.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:44 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Turco is a gamble and I'd want Leighton as the backup in case **** goes wrong.

But there is a better than average chance that an aging Turco with our defense in front of him can make a strong return to form.
Honestly, if we sign Turco.....I don't think they are handing him the keys and saying drive. He will have to beat out Leighton to get the #1 job. But Leighton/Turco I think one of those goalies has a great year. And more importantly, when one gets cold, a solid replacement is there to take over.

Old
07-22-2010, 04:48 PM
CTU2fan

I voted "what can you do" because really...what can you do?

The thing is, I didn't really love any of the FA options either. The UFA's were a bunch of career backups (a crapshoot), aging Turco, and Nabokov. I'm willing to ride with Leighton (since we don't have a choice anyway) and hope that he can tighten up his 5-hole issues, but that Kane goal haunts me. I'm going to hate watching Flyers games filled with anxiety because the most inocuous shot might find its way through.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote