HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Street Hockey

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-22-2010, 12:27 AM
  #51
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW
 
ShawnTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 8,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyGaloshes View Post
Word...I'll be there. I'll send out an email right now to the people I play with and let you know in the next couple of days how many of us are coming.
Im one of the few young guys that actually play. We play with guys in the age range of 30-50, so depending on how young you guys are, go easy on them.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 12:54 AM
  #52
JonnyGaloshes
Registered User
 
JonnyGaloshes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Philadelphia
Posts: 396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Im one of the few young guys that actually play. We play with guys in the age range of 30-50, so depending on how young you guys are, go easy on them.
Haha, we're all mid to late twenties, but three of our friends have birthdays this weekend. We'll probably be moving like 70 year-olds by Sunday night.

JonnyGaloshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 08:05 AM
  #53
JSTAFF
Registered User
 
JSTAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
I might come over and play, shawn.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 08:45 AM
  #54
Gordie Howe Headlock
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Phila
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
You can count me in; I just responded to the email that mike sent.

What's the surface like? Right now I have hard wheels on my skates because I've been skating with my dog, should I switch to my softer ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
I envy you very much sir. 7 blocks down is heaven.
It's funny in the 4 years that I lived down here I've only gone to pats/geno's once or twice. I prefer the cheesesteaks of a couple other establishments.

Gordie Howe Headlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 10:50 AM
  #55
goog
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 12
vCash: 500
Im very interested in play where ever on sunday evening. I also joined the mailing list. Im also pretty sure my roomatte will play as well.

goog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 10:56 AM
  #56
JSTAFF
Registered User
 
JSTAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
I gotta find some hard wheels hmmm

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 11:58 AM
  #57
agrudez*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
I've never played roller hockey, but am really interested in getting started, I was curious if you all play with full gear or just a stick, helmet, skates? Also, what suggestions do you have for type of gear that would be cheap and still good?

I am going to be training my ass off for the next month to get good enough to keep up with you all and then try to sneak into some pickup games, definitely will be a power forward/grinder type (5'10 220, athletic and very strong legs, core and upper body), so I am going to be focusing on working on skating, puck control around the crease and deflections, as well as my normal 2 hour lifting sessions 6 days a week. Any other suggestions?

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 12:15 PM
  #58
McDugan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 147
vCash: 500
I just signed up for the mailing list. I'm years and years removed from playing any kind of hockey and looking to get back into it.

What is the typical skill level range? I'd love to come out but who wants to be a total waste out there. I have no idea what my ability level would be in an actual game setting, but I'm pretty certain I've got some learning and work ahead of me.

McDugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 12:19 PM
  #59
Gordie Howe Headlock
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Phila
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
I gotta find some hard wheels hmmm
You need to checkout www.BigHardWheels.com/hard_big_wheels

Gordie Howe Headlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 01:27 PM
  #60
JonnyGaloshes
Registered User
 
JonnyGaloshes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Philadelphia
Posts: 396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
I've never played roller hockey, but am really interested in getting started, I was curious if you all play with full gear or just a stick, helmet, skates? Also, what suggestions do you have for type of gear that would be cheap and still good?

I am going to be training my ass off for the next month to get good enough to keep up with you all and then try to sneak into some pickup games, definitely will be a power forward/grinder type (5'10 220, athletic and very strong legs, core and upper body), so I am going to be focusing on working on skating, puck control around the crease and deflections, as well as my normal 2 hour lifting sessions 6 days a week. Any other suggestions?

I can't speak for the Jersey guys we're playing with on Sunday, but the people I play with just use skates and a stick. Some also use gloves, which I would recommend.

As for skill level...again I can only speak for my guys, but some are pretty good and some are medium-good I would say. We are all relatively strong skaters.

No one is a dick if you mess up though, so don't be afraid to make mistakes and get creative. I've seen far too many soccer pickup games ruined by guys taking things too seriously and sucking all the fun out of it for everyone else.

JonnyGaloshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 01:58 PM
  #61
agrudez*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyGaloshes View Post
I can't speak for the Jersey guys we're playing with on Sunday, but the people I play with just use skates and a stick. Some also use gloves, which I would recommend.

As for skill level...again I can only speak for my guys, but some are pretty good and some are medium-good I would say. We are all relatively strong skaters.

No one is a dick if you mess up though, so don't be afraid to make mistakes and get creative. I've seen far too many soccer pickup games ruined by guys taking things too seriously and sucking all the fun out of it for everyone else.
Well, at the moment I am a below average skater and have average hands when playing hockey in shoes, so clearly it will take a month before I am comfortable getting out there without embarrasing myself. I did the same thing with softball (in 2 weeks) and went from 8 hole hitter platooning at 2nd and right field to the league MVP hitting clean up and playing every inning at short.

Hockey is a way harder sport, though, so I am hoping it will only take a month to get good.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 02:19 PM
  #62
JonnyGaloshes
Registered User
 
JonnyGaloshes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Philadelphia
Posts: 396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Well, at the moment I am a below average skater and have average hands when playing hockey in shoes, so clearly it will take a month before I am comfortable getting out there without embarrasing myself. I did the same thing with softball (in 2 weeks) and went from 8 hole hitter platooning at 2nd and right field to the league MVP hitting clean up and playing every inning at short.

Hockey is a way harder sport, though, so I am hoping it will only take a month to get good.

In all honesty, I think you should come out and give it a shot if you feel at all comfortable on your skates. If you can skate backwards, turn, etc., you'll definitely be able to hang. You'll learn more from playing one game than you will in a month of practicing by yourself.

It's all about fun anyway...no one will give you any ****. The hardest part of any sport is not being afraid to suck.

JonnyGaloshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 02:21 PM
  #63
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW
 
ShawnTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 8,881
vCash: 500
Wow, really does seem like I am getting a ton of people to turnout around here.

Whoever wants to show up, feel free.

The guys I play with like to bust on each other constantly, but thats what you get when you play pickup hockey.

If you guys get ragged on, dont take it personally, its all in good fun.

The skill level is a pretty good. No one REALLY truly sucks, and we do have one kid who will likely skate circles around everyone, but its great when we get two goalies, because you would be surprised at some saves they can pull off (be it that most of them are EXTREMELY lucky).

As for equipment, some guys go out in the full garb with helmet girdle shinpads, just about everything, but most of us play with skates, gloves, and stick because thats essentially all you need.

Even if you are a beginner, dont be intimidated to go out. I know I was when I first started playing a few years back because I didnt want to feel like an idiot being the only guy not being able to skate or play well for that matter. But the more and more you play with better people, the better you get, and that comes pretty naturally.

I hope to see you guys all out there on Sunday, or at least most of you, anyways.

I am on a separate mailing besides the one that JonnyGaloshes created so I will let you know how many people will be showing up on Sunday from the guys that I know and I will relay that to you guys.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:36 PM
  #64
JonnyGaloshes
Registered User
 
JonnyGaloshes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Philadelphia
Posts: 396
vCash: 500
Do you guys use a ball or a puck?

JonnyGaloshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:42 PM
  #65
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW
 
ShawnTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 8,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyGaloshes View Post
Do you guys use a ball or a puck?
Ball.

I am VERY against using a puck outside. It just sucks, that and I suck using a puck to begin with.

We use Red G-Force balls with water in them because they dont get soft and dont bounce either. Perfect for this weather. We switch to the orange G-Force's in the winter.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:45 PM
  #66
JonnyGaloshes
Registered User
 
JonnyGaloshes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Philadelphia
Posts: 396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Ball.
Thank ****ing god.

JonnyGaloshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:50 PM
  #67
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW
 
ShawnTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 8,881
vCash: 500
Just wondering for all you guys....


How many of you guys are likely going to show up to play hockey in Jersey on Sunday with me and the other guys I play with?

I just want to get a quick rundown to see how many people I can be expecting.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:50 PM
  #68
JSTAFF
Registered User
 
JSTAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyGaloshes View Post
Do you guys use a ball or a puck?
Outdoor ball is only option imo

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:53 PM
  #69
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW
 
ShawnTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 8,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
Outdoor ball is only option imo
Absolutely, even though its really light compared to a puck and easier to lift, it has more of a puck feel along the blacktop and rolls much better where as the puck dies down if you dont put enough power on the pass.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:12 PM
  #70
Gordie Howe Headlock
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Phila
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Just wondering for all you guys....


How many of you guys are likely going to show up to play hockey in Jersey on Sunday with me and the other guys I play with?

I just want to get a quick rundown to see how many people I can be expecting.
I'll be there.

Is it a blacktop surface?

Gordie Howe Headlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:18 PM
  #71
Richyrich
Registered User
 
Richyrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,164
vCash: 500
Jesus chrsit I need to get my license so I can get out to that Marlton game on a consistent basis. I am pathetic that I haven't gotten it yet

Richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:18 PM
  #72
JonnyGaloshes
Registered User
 
JonnyGaloshes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Philadelphia
Posts: 396
vCash: 500
I'm guessing 5-6 of my guys will come (myself included).

Gordiehoweheadlock is playing too. I haven't head back from the others on HF who signed up for the mailing list though, so there might be more.

JonnyGaloshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:19 PM
  #73
Richyrich
Registered User
 
Richyrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Absolutely, even though its really light compared to a puck and easier to lift, it has more of a puck feel along the blacktop and rolls much better where as the puck dies down if you dont put enough power on the pass.
I find the difference in weight to be negligible. It's the passing that makes a huge difference. Pucks just flip and hop way too much outdoors

Richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:26 PM
  #74
JSTAFF
Registered User
 
JSTAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
I'm trying to get me some outdoor wheels for Sunday. If I can get them in time I'll be there

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:43 PM
  #75
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW
 
ShawnTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 8,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
I'm trying to get me some outdoor wheels for Sunday. If I can get them in time I'll be there
If you are coming over here down route 73, stop by Play it Again sports. Its right across from the Macaroni Grille and On the Border. They definitely have outdoor wheels.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.