HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Is Tampa soft?

Closed Thread

Old
07-22-2010, 11:18 AM
ultra63

vCash: 500
Is Tampa soft?

"Top Softest teams

1)Wings
2)Caps
3)Montreal
4)TB
5)Carolina
6)Florida
7)Buffalo
8)Phoenix"

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=801499&page=4

We have a small forward with a rep as a dirty player and we have some big Dmen but we have no big goon who likes to fight heavyweights and is good at it. Do we need one?

Old
07-22-2010, 11:39 AM
peanutvendor

Fighting for the sake of fighting is overrated. I love it when they show the bench during/after a fight and several players look disinterested.

That being said, downie Malone lecavalier hedman smaby smith will all fight if need be.

Old
07-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Benders Lindyhop

We do not need a goon on this team. Please read this:

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightn...ughness-enough

Quote:
Boucher said he isn't necessarily opposed to having an enforcer on the team. But he added, "It always depends. I've had teams with enforcers. I've had teams with no enforcers. I’ve won with both. The reality is you need an enforcer, in my book, if he can play the game. If he can’t play the game it just makes somebody unhappy not playing much. It also prevents some other guys who could bring a lot of stuff on the ice. I’m all for enforcers if they can hog a lot of minutes during the game, use them for penalty kill or against top lines. I don’t like guys sitting on the bench. I use everybody. I use all my four lines. I use all my defense. Everybody has got a role on the team. And when a guy has only that role I don't feel comfortable about it."
Says it perfectly there, thanks Coach. And now today it's being reported that they are looking at Asham. That's the kind of guy we need.

In addition, why do we give a **** what hf boards thinks? They are mostly pretty sure that we shouldn't have a team either. Do we believe that?

Old
07-22-2010, 11:49 AM
Kusic
Be The Thunder

Send a message via ICQ to Kusic
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
Says it perfectly there, thanks Coach. And now today it's being reported that they are looking at Asham. That's the kind of guy we need.
3rd line: Purcell - Harju/Wright - Asham .....not bad

Old
07-22-2010, 12:11 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:

In addition, why do we give a **** what hf boards thinks? They are mostly pretty sure that we shouldn't have a team either. Do we believe that?
'bout time.

Old
07-22-2010, 12:12 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

There are a reason why the "HF experts" are on HF.

Don't buy the ********.

Also our forwards are terrible, and our defense is worse.

Old
07-22-2010, 12:20 PM
LetsNotUseNames

I don't care if Tampa has a designated enforcer. I prefer having players like Malone and Downie who can score and who have a presence on the ice that deters other player from taking runs at Stamkos, St. Louis, etc...

I've been to a lot of hockey games, both ECHL and NHL, but only in the South. Sadly, I get the feeling that a lot of "fans" come to games in hopes of seeing a fight. "Fans" that don't know what offsides is, or think icing belongs on a cake. I'm not opposed to fighing in the game, but there are so many other aspects of the game that make it entertaining.

Old
07-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutvendor View Post
Fighting for the sake of fighting is overrated. I love it when they show the bench during/after a fight and several players look disinterested.

That being said, downie Malone lecavalier hedman smaby smith will all fight if need be.
Number of career fights: (including juniors, Europe, minors, NHL) according to dropyourgloves.com

Downie: 89
Thompson: 40
Malone: 34
Lecavalier: 33
Kubina: 28
Jones: 22
Ohlund: 14
Lashoff: 12
Wright: 8
Smaby: 7
Clark: 5
Hedman: 5
Smith: 4
Stamkos: 3
Gagne: 2
Harju: 2
Persson: 2
Szczechura: 2
Ellis: 0
Lundin: 0
Purcell: 0
St.Louis: 0

If we add Aaron Asham, he'll have the most at 143. Really good record too. 49-14-29 (4 unfair)

Last edited by Felonious Python: 07-22-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old
07-22-2010, 12:57 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Malone and Downie say hi

Old
07-22-2010, 01:21 PM
gobolt7

The enforcer on this team is a PP unit that consists of Gagne, Lecavalier, St. Louis, Kubina's booming shot and Stamkos from the left circle.

Let people take dumb penalties, I like PP goals.

Old
07-22-2010, 01:22 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobolt7 View Post
The enforcer on this team is a PP unit that consists of Gagne, Lecavalier, St. Louis, Kubina's booming shot and Stamkos from the left circle.

Let people take dumb penalties, I like PP goals.
Amen.

Old
07-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Skip Bayless
Kristers God-levskis

vCash: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Number of career fights: (including juniors, Europe, minors, NHL) according to dropyourgloves.com

Downie: 89
Thompson: 40
Malone: 34
Lecavalier: 33
Kubina: 28
Jones: 22
Ohlund: 14
Lashoff: 12
Wright: 8
Smaby: 7
Clark: 5
Hedman: 5
Smith: 4
Stamkos: 3
Gagne: 2
Harju: 2
Persson: 2
Szczechura: 2
Ellis: 0
Lundin: 0
Purcell: 0
St.Louis: 0

If we add Aaron Asham, he'll have the most at 143. Really good record too. 49-14-29 (4 unfair)
Just curious, what's the team's combined record?

Old
07-22-2010, 02:29 PM
DarrylshutzSydor

Aaron Asham = heart and soul and 100% effort

Old
07-22-2010, 03:17 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:

Link or something to this? This makes me happy as he is one of the 3 guys I was hoping we would grab to help fill out the bottom 6.

Old
07-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Benders Lindyhop

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightn...ng-arron-asham

Quote:
Take heart those of you from the recent debate on this blog who said the Tampa Bay Lightning needs to add some toughness. The team, apparently, has inquired about free agent Arron Asham. Agent Jarrett Bousquet said he has spoken to Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman, though he added he hasn't spoken to Yzerman in about a week and characterized Tampa Bay's interest only as "mild."

The level of the Lightning's interest is difficult to pinpoint. The team, under Yzerman, has adopted a policy of not commenting on potential player acquisitions, and Yzerman has been busy the past week or so with the acquisition of Simon Gagne in trade from the Flyers and the signing of two assistant coaches. A third assistant, by the way, is expected to be signed by the end of the week.
The agent may say that the interest is only mild, but who knows. The tires have been kicked, so I guess we'll see. The important part to me is that SFY isn't done yet, and he is interested in adding some toughness, but most likely not at the expense of giving up a roster space for a multi-dimensional guy, i.e. Asham.

Old
07-22-2010, 03:30 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightn...ng-arron-asham

The agent may say that the interest is only mild, but who knows. The tires have been kicked, so I guess we'll see. The important part to me is that SFY isn't done yet, and he is interested in adding some toughness, but most likely not at the expense of giving up a roster space for a multi-dimensional guy, i.e. Asham.
Thanks for the link/info. And I completely agree. Id love Asham or Madden on this team for a decent contract for 1-2 years.

Old
07-22-2010, 04:00 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 169
I'd rather be soft and good than tough and bad. Last year we had the 2nd most penalty minutes and the 4th most fighting majors and it got us no where except allowing the 4th most PP goals.

I'm fine with fights of emotion but the league would be a much better place if they got rid of staged fights. People can go watch boxing.

07-22-2010, 04:06 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Tocchet View Post
Just curious, what's the team's combined record?
The records over who won fights aren't complete. Especially for older juniors and minor league scraps. If someone didn't see it live, or have since put it on YouTube, then there's no one to make a decision. And when there is, it's subjective.

You can see how Asham's record is missing a significant amount of outcomes. Those are just the ones that have been reviewed. It's not entirely fair to judge a fighter's ability based on an incomplete record. Especially in terms of a whole team, and given that theoretically, fighting another junior player may be "easier" than fighting an NHLer.

It is very impressive that the fights Asham has been reviewed for, come out in favor of him more often than not, especially given how often he throws down.

Closed Thread