HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rangers pick up two.

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2003, 04:51 PM
NYR469

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
Sounds like there's a deal in the works where the Rangers protect these 2 guys for Carolina and trade them back after the waiver draft. Unlike traded players before the waiver draft, waived players can be reacquired. There's got to be something going on. I can't believe it's a coincidence that both these players were claimed by the Rangers and they both went on waivers at this particular time. Carolina could have a post-waiver draft deal in the works with a 3rd team too.
that is definitely not the case cause the rangers don't have any spots open to protect guys...they already are going to have to expose someone like petrovicky that they don't want to lose. there is absolutely no way they are going to expose barnaby and lacouture to do carolina & atlanta a favor like that

Old
09-30-2003, 04:54 PM
Dr Love

Heins was sent down to the AHL last week. In doing so, he was put on waivers. Thus, he was eligible, and was, picked up on waivers. Has nothing to do with the waiver draft.

Old
09-30-2003, 04:56 PM
Jericho584

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
that is definitely not the case cause the rangers don't have any spots open to protect guys...they already are going to have to expose someone like petrovicky that they don't want to lose. there is absolutely no way they are going to expose barnaby and lacouture to do carolina & atlanta a favor like that

Actually, according to recent NY media stories its very possible Barnaby is gonna be cut lose at the waiver draft, apparently Sather is unhappy with him and he's unsure about his role on the team. I would like to see him back because he's one of the few role players capable of stepping in on a top scoring line if (when) one of our top liners gets hurt.

Old
09-30-2003, 04:58 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

i dont get the point of this

heins and heerama will only be extras at best for slats, does he hope to slip them thru waivers when he sends them to hartford?

Old
09-30-2003, 04:59 PM
Koltsov71

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude
JUst a bad move by a bad team. Let go over Teterenko ,Boulerice or Daniels ridiculous
Those guys have their roles and fill them well.

Heerema wasn't doing that.

Old
09-30-2003, 05:00 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho584
Actually, according to recent NY media stories its very possible Barnaby is gonna be cut lose at the waiver draft, apparently Sather is unhappy with him and he's unsure about his role on the team. I would like to see him back because he's one of the few role players capable of stepping in on a top scoring line if (when) one of our top liners gets hurt.
According to Larry Brooks you mean because the following day every other paper had quotes from Sather stating he had no intentions on moving Barnaby essentially refuting Brook's original claim.

Old
09-30-2003, 06:27 PM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho584
I don't think Sather's unhappy with him, and I don't see why he would after Barnaby's efforts, but it's a simple numbers game..

It basically comes down to Petro/LaCouture Simon/Barnaby..

The Rangers PK is pretty bad, so Lacouture has to stay.. Petro can kill, but having Barnaby and Simon in the lineup gives it a nice edge (but also one that could cause that ill fated PK to have to do a lot of work).. Simon is a recent pickup, has more size and has put up better numbers, more consistently, especially when healthy than Barnaby..

Of course, all this could be alleviated by exposing Messier and Malakhov (can't leave Kasparaitis open, the Ranger blueline needs whatever bite he can provide), but I wouldn't hold my breath expecting them to be left unprotected..

As far as the new guys, who knows if a deal is in place, maybe it has to do with one of the bubble guys mentioned above, but either way, they're good insurance policies for any prospective loses in the waiver draft, and the Rangers might finally find some depth..

Old
10-01-2003, 10:41 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
From best I can gather the upcoming waiver draft has nothing to do with these players being released on waivers, Carolina could have just left them exposed and lost them there unless a deal has been made with another team to re aquire them.

However, it's smart on the Rangers part because a team can only lose a maximum of three players at the draft unless more are offered or at the time of the draft they acquire another player and are forced to expose someone else. With these two players being added prior to the draft, it lowers the percentage of their regular roster players being grabbed and especially as in the case with Hereema it's unlikely these players won't be grabbed by someone else.

There "could" be a third team in the mix such as Pittsburgh or Nashville who have agreed in a back door deal to get these players back to Carolina in exchange for future considerations (for example).

Just MO.

Old
10-01-2003, 10:56 AM
Sled2300

It just does not seem fair that teams would be allowed to conduct themselves this way. The whole point of the waiver draft is to redistrabute NHL quality players around the league. This is something I would like to see addressed for the next CBA.

We need to help the small market teams not pilage them at every oppertunity.

What's the matter Sather? You can't afford to give up one of your coveted "big money no heart players". Sather is what is wrong with the NHL today people. The sooner this is realized league wide, the better off we will all be.

Old
10-01-2003, 11:45 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
YES !!!! I called it ! Both players are available in the waiver draft.
**(Takes bow)**

Old
10-01-2003, 07:36 PM
Dorthmall

Send a message via AIM to Dorthmall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
Interesting thing about Heerema is he's exempt from the waiver draft, but eligible for regular season waivers. He could have been assigned to the AHL before the roster deadline and the waiver problem would only have come up if the Canes called him up and attempted to send him back down. I think there's some deals worked out that'll happen after the waiver draft.
Are you sure about this? Heerema is on the unprotected list and JD confirmed it during the game.

Old
10-01-2003, 07:46 PM
JSmith81x
Your weapon is guilt

vCash: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
However, it's smart on the Rangers part because a team can only lose a maximum of three players at the draft unless more are offered or at the time of the draft they acquire another player and are forced to expose someone else. With these two players being added prior to the draft, it lowers the percentage of their regular roster players being grabbed and especially as in the case with Hereema it's unlikely these players won't be grabbed by someone else.
Correct. They gain protection from losing their one players by offering up the two new players that might garner interest from other teams.

Carolina was probably just trying to sneak Heerema through waivers, hoping other teams would be busy sorting out their own players to notice him.

Old
10-02-2003, 05:22 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
i dont get the point of this

heins and heerama will only be extras at best for slats, does he hope to slip them thru waivers when he sends them to hartford?
I think they are nothing more than depth additions, it protects the rangers depth a bit if they lose petrovicky during the waiver draft...both guys will probably play in hartford (or sit in the press box) while everyone is healthy and then they will be used as callups in the event of injury (and with some of the old, injury-prone guys the rangers have it is basically a given that they will need guys who can step in during injuries throughout the year)

Old
10-02-2003, 05:35 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sled2300
It just does not seem fair that teams would be allowed to conduct themselves this way. The whole point of the waiver draft is to redistrabute NHL quality players around the league. This is something I would like to see addressed for the next CBA.

We need to help the small market teams not pilage them at every oppertunity.

What's the matter Sather? You can't afford to give up one of your coveted "big money no heart players". Sather is what is wrong with the NHL today people. The sooner this is realized league wide, the better off we will all be.
first off how would you change the CBA to prevent this?? are you going to tell teams that they aren't allowed to waive a player or send a player down?? cause that is the only way you can prevent teams from waiving a player to send them down...

and anyway you want to slice it, waivers and the waiver draft benefit the weak/poor teams FAR more than the good/rich teams. the reason for that is that the good/rich teams are normally much deeper and therefore are more likely to have a good player that is the odd man out...the system, while not perfect, is set up to allow bubble players that could play on less deep teams to get a shot with a club that could actually use them and allows the teams with less depth to add depth (most good teams won't claim guys cause they have no room for their own bubble players, no less someone else's)...

and we both know that if buffalo had claimed them you wouldn't be complaining...lets be realistic and just admit that your problem is not with guys being claimed off waivers, it is the fact that the rangers were the ones that grabbed them...not to mention the fact that both players are available in the waiver draft so any team (including carolina and atlanta) could take them if they want

lastly, as far as sather being what is wrong with the league, there are LOTS of things about sather and the way he runs the rangers which you could apply that arguement and it would be pretty tough to dispute, but claiming 2 minor leaguers off waivers is NOT one of those things...

Old
10-02-2003, 07:09 AM
Sled2300

NYR469

I'm not going to try to pretend that I have the answers on how the new CBA can be fixed. Simply put I think it would be nice to have a committee look at the types of transactions that are within the rules of the CBA but could be considered detrimental to the rest of the league. I'm also not going to venture a guess as to the rational behind what Sather has done here. However, the hypothesis that Dar put forward is what I was most interested in commenting on. If this is in fact the only reason that Sather did this then that seems to me to be an unfair activity even though it is completely with in Sather's right to do so and technically has not done anything wrong.

Just seems to me that there are rules in this current CBA that have been created with the best intensions (i.e.. waiver draft - to redistribute talented players to avoid hording by talent heavy teams) yet they have such apparent loop holes.

In this case, a team can only lose 3 players. Rangers have picked up two bodies for nothing at all. They now can only really be out one asset that they had prior to the acquisition of those players. I just don't understand why these players were placed on the waiver wire prior to the draft when the teams themselves could have used the players as bait to protect against losing more assets. Pit and CAR can now lose 4 players each and have nothing to show if they do not select anybody in the draft.

Your right if Buffalo had claimed those players I would not have said a word. The problem is that they did not. Maybe it was because the Rangers were to quick to the punch, maybe it was because they did not have the foresight to protect their own assets against being pillaged. I choose to think that it could have been because although they may have wanted to acquire two players they could not manage it from a financial stand point.

I'm not trying to say that this is the single biggest thing that is wrong with Sather. If that is the way it came across I apologize. The point I wanted to make is that it is not so much the single actions of this man but rather his whole mentality "I will do what I want when I want and I care little about what the ramifications are to the league and to the teams that are lower on the totem pole then I." It is just another example of how little this man cares about the evolvement of the league and only about how he can make himself as the focal point of discussion weither it be positive or negative.

Old
10-02-2003, 07:32 AM
L.I.RangerFan

Sled2300

Remember that every team in the league had a chance to claim these players. If more than one claim is made, the player would go to the team with the least amount of points, in this case last year. So being the Rangers finished 12th from the bottom, 10 teams, not including Carolina had a chance to claim them.

I am not a fan of Slats but if you can get 2 possible additions PRIOR to the waiver draft for just cash that could possibly slip through the draft, then you do it. But remember that 10 other teams passed on them. So maybe they are not as good to other teams as Sather thinks they are for the Rangers.

Old
10-02-2003, 08:07 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sled2300
Simply put I think it would be nice to have a committee look at the types of transactions that are within the rules of the CBA but could be considered detrimental to the rest of the league.
i think you are blowing the impact of these moves WAY WAY WAY out of proportion...a team claiming 2 minor leaguers off waivers is not detrimental to the rest of the league. by claiming heerema, one thing and one thing only changes and that is that heerema will play in hartford instead of lowell

there are 20,000 problems the league needs to worry about before something like this is even an issue...the day something like this becomes a major concern is the day the nhl is in great shape

Closed Thread