HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Hamilton Bulldogs have a new head coach; Randy Cunneyworth

Old
07-22-2010, 06:56 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
My only concern is the fact that we don't follow the Boucher trend. New style of coaching, more communication. Younger guys teaching still young guys. That bothers me though I'm not exactly a Cunneyworth/Ladouceur expert. Hearing guys talk about them, you don't hear the new style but more about the old one.

I guess we'll see soon. But really dissapointed that Weber's work wasn't recognized. Geez that Cincinnati team has seen probably 100 different players in the 3-4 years and with the success he had, the guy had to be a strong candidate....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 07:10 AM
ScopeHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
My only concern is the fact that we don't follow the Boucher trend. New style of coaching, more communication. Younger guys teaching still young guys. That bothers me though I'm not exactly a Cunneyworth/Ladouceur expert. Hearing guys talk about them, you don't hear the new style but more about the old one.

I guess we'll see soon. But really dissapointed that Weber's work wasn't recognized. Geez that Cincinnati team has seen probably 100 different players in the 3-4 years and with the success he had, the guy had to be a strong candidate....
Although isn't there still an assistant coach position open? Wouldn't mind seeing him or Mike Keane get it.

I'm happy with the Cunneyworth signing because he played a courageous game and I'm assuming he will teach his players to play the same way. Buffalo has definitely shown that they can develop players and Cunneyworth is probably the most responsible for this.

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 09:20 AM
Habitants

Michel Bergeron is a fukn ******!

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 10:10 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post

I like the toughness that Cunneyworth showed, hopefully he teaches that to our prospects. I like the 2nd / late hit on Verbeek and the way he hit Muller as Muller was coming to fight him.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 10:23 AM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeHockey View Post
Although isn't there still an assistant coach position open? Wouldn't mind seeing him or Mike Keane get it.

I'm happy with the Cunneyworth signing because he played a courageous game and I'm assuming he will teach his players to play the same way. Buffalo has definitely shown that they can develop players and Cunneyworth is probably the most responsible for this.
Weber is too good to be an AHL assistant. I heard rumors that he's being interviewed for the Peoria head coaching job and the NHL Wild assistant job.

Really dissapointed that he counted rise in our system, because he will coach in the NHL.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 10:27 AM
McTusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestriker View Post
If you never played hockey to a minimum competitive level (let's say Midget AAA and up) you know sweet **** about the game. Implementation of systems, drills, etc. Simple as that.

You can't say you "know your hockey" by watching games on TV, listening to Joel's intermission antics and watching l'académie McDonald.
It's true, you also can't criticize a book if you have never written one, a movie if you have never directed or produced one or even written a screenplay, a song if you don't play an instrument, even a politician if you have never been one before.

McTusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 10:57 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Great piece on Cunneyworth. From what I've read from that article, I'm really excited about this guy. Apparently he is great at developing players in the AHL, like he has a knack for it, and he can get the best out of them. I'm happy hearing that.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Kamal...ndys/137/29453

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 10:09 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quick question...did probably miss the memo.....did Cunneyworth hired Ladouceur or did the Habs appointed Ladouceur to Cunneyworth? 'Cause the way it's written, it seems to be the latter. Which would be strange isn't? You might sometimes ask a new head coach to try to "like" the assistant coaches in place...but you don't often go pick an assistant coach instead of letting your new coach get the guys he wants with him....

Old
07-22-2010, 10:44 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Thanks.
That is interesting.

I am sorry to see Boucher gone.

As for the new coach, we should give him a chance.
Let's see what he does.

PG has not been there a year. Let's see what he does.
It takes a few years (at least two or three) before having a good perspective on GMs.

Just to throw in some fun facts.

In Cunneyworth's time in Rochester, he helped a great deal in the development of Gaustad, Vanek, Pominville, Roy, etc.... Not to mention hes worked with Tavares and Eric Staal already. He knows how to develop young kids.

Old
07-22-2010, 10:59 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitants View Post
Michel Bergeron is a fukn ******!
Why? what did he say?

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 12:17 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
hahahahahahahahahahaha What a clown
He doesn't say anything that far fetched, actually. He's saying hire Quebec coachs to help them graduate. And he's right. Nobody will hire them if the Habs don't.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 12:55 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
He doesn't say anything that far fetched, actually. He's saying hire Quebec coachs to help them graduate. And he's right. Nobody will hire them if the Habs don't.
not true, if your good enough they will hired you. you think Boucher only had interview with the habs last year ?

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 12:57 AM
elsubz

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Why? what did he say?
Said that Norman Flynn was a better candidate

Last edited by elsubz: 07-23-2010 at 01:04 AM.
elsubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 07:06 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
It's true. But it doesn't mean we should pick any Quebec coach just because they are from Quebec, while ignoring great candidates passing by.

We recently hired a great Quebec coach - Boucher - and he chose to leave us after a single year. I prefer to hire someone who will be willing to stay with us for a while and do a great job instead of someone who only see the habs as a stepping-stone toward another organisation.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Subban76

Quote:
It only makes sens if that coach is the best available at developing our prospects.

The AHL is there to develop our prospects, not our coaches. I would rather have a good coach that develops our kids vs. developing a coach that could mess up our kids because of is lack of experience. Which is more valuable to an organization, developing prospects or coaches? Asking the question is answering it! Coaches are free and easy to get from other organizations, not prospects.

Habs decided that no Quebec coach was worth it this time around unlike Boucher last year. Sometimes people like to complicate things and whine for nothing.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
True. But he cannot be reason #1 to hire a coach. You can't be working with people you don't necessarily want to work with OR prefer to work with other people only based on the fact that you have to help certain coaches to graduate.

I have no problem hiring a guy I have a good communication with and that sees the development of my players the same way that I do. Then, if the choice is between a Q guy with no pro experience and a OHL guy with the same resume, don't worry, I'd personnally choose the Q guy without hesitation......But I don't see how our situation right now fits the profile.

Habs interviewed both Tourigny and Vincent last year....who knows if they liked or not what they heard. Personnally, I'm not a Vincent fan. Can imagine others not being as well. Then, even if you might like those guys, you have a guy who has plenty of AHL experience and a good resume as far as developing players especially the way that Martin loves his players.

I'd go as far as having a theory on this......Cunneyworth was brought in the organization for the short but also mid term. Short 'cause he did prove he can bring results to young players. Mid term, 'cause the day that Muller and/or Pearn leaves, this Martin's mandate or the next one if ever....Cunneyworth will be beside Martin in no time with the possibility of seeing a Ladouceur taking charge behind an AHL bench. Tons of things can change, that's for sure. But seeing that they might not be entirely thrilled by what the Q has to offer them right now (which does seem like Tourigny, Vincent and....nothing else), they might see the situation differently.

Who knows what were their views on Benoit Groulx. Here's a Q coach that could have been a fine candidate....but what do you do with the fact that knowing that an AHL job was on the line, for the Habs farm team, Groulx goes from an AHL team to a junior team and sign a fine contract. Now, pretty sure that he was able to break that AHL contract based on the fact that he was going back to the Q for his family and all.....Probably would not have been able to break a contract to go on another AHL team.

Old
07-23-2010, 03:26 PM
dcal64

Quote:
So should the Canadiens field a team of only Quebec players, because no other team wants to hire them?

I think the Canadiens policy should be preference to Quebec players and coaches if they are of equal talent to what is available. If we start to hire coaches or players simply because they are from Quebec, then sadly we will never win another Stanley cup.

dcal64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcal64 View Post
So should the Canadiens field a team of only Quebec players, because no other team wants to hire them?

I think the Canadiens policy should be preference to Quebec players and coaches if they are of equal talent to what is available. If we start to hire coaches or players simply because they are from Quebec, then sadly we will never win another Stanley cup.
There are great coachs in Quebec right now. No reasons to not hire them. But Cunneyworth is Gauthier's friend. Les petits amis.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Matteus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
True. But he cannot be reason #1 to hire a coach. You can't be working with people you don't necessarily want to work with OR prefer to work with other people only based on the fact that you have to help certain coaches to graduate.

I have no problem hiring a guy I have a good communication with and that sees the development of my players the same way that I do. Then, if the choice is between a Q guy with no pro experience and a OHL guy with the same resume, don't worry, I'd personnally choose the Q guy without hesitation......But I don't see how our situation right now fits the profile.

Habs interviewed both Tourigny and Vincent last year....who knows if they liked or not what they heard. Personnally, I'm not a Vincent fan. Can imagine others not being as well. Then, even if you might like those guys, you have a guy who has plenty of AHL experience and a good resume as far as developing players especially the way that Martin loves his players.

I'd go as far as having a theory on this......Cunneyworth was brought in the organization for the short but also mid term. Short 'cause he did prove he can bring results to young players. Mid term, 'cause the day that Muller and/or Pearn leaves, this Martin's mandate or the next one if ever....Cunneyworth will be beside Martin in no time with the possibility of seeing a Ladouceur taking charge behind an AHL bench. Tons of things can change, that's for sure. But seeing that they might not be entirely thrilled by what the Q has to offer them right now (which does seem like Tourigny, Vincent and....nothing else), they might see the situation differently.

Who knows what were their views on Benoit Groulx. Here's a Q coach that could have been a fine candidate....but what do you do with the fact that knowing that an AHL job was on the line, for the Habs farm team, Groulx goes from an AHL team to a junior team and sign a fine contract. Now, pretty sure that he was able to break that AHL contract based on the fact that he was going back to the Q for his family and all.....Probably would not have been able to break a contract to go on another AHL team.
I believe that Groulx was not really an option this time around probably for the reasons you mentionned (broke AHL contract to go back to the Q while invoking family reasons)..so the timing just wasn't right. Otherwise I have a feeling he would have been considered. And I don't see who else in the Q would have been a candidate.

That being said, Cunneyworth did well in sending young players to the Sabres with some regularity while he was there so he certainly deserves the opportunity.

But I would have loved for Boucher to spend 2-3 years in the AHL and graduate along with the likes of Kristo, Leblanc and maybe Tinordi...

I sure hope Cunneyworth will find a way to help Max Pac get back some confidence and find his role as a pro player.

Matteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 06:35 PM
Hfboards2010

Smells like putrid nepotism. Are we getting Alfredsson soon, we need a captain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestriker View Post
If you never played hockey to a minimum competitive level (let's say Midget AAA and up) you know sweet **** about the game. Implementation of systems, drills, etc. Simple as that.
You had to wait until Midget AAA to learn about systems, drills, etc.?

If you want to go that route, might as well say that if you haven't played in the NHL, you know sweet whatever about the game.

Hfboards2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 07:56 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
There are great coachs in Quebec right now. No reasons to not hire them. But Cunneyworth is Gauthier's friend. Les petits amis.
Maybe cunneyworth is better, ever think of that? ****.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 08:20 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Quote:
Theres a different between great coaches in the Q, and great coaches for the AHL.

Cunneyworth was almost a no brainer from what I've read about him, and he is an excellent choice.

Old
07-23-2010, 08:38 PM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Maybe cunneyworth is better, ever think of that? ****.
Apparently not...

buddahsmoka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 08:47 PM
mtl_felix

Canadiens hire a french coach: "That was the obvious choice! Best candidate by far!"
Canadiens hire a non-french coach: "Bad choice! Our french coaches are much better!"

Clearly to be able to say they're much better choices, they'd have to know the other coaches too.
Why is Cunneyworth a bad choice?

mtl_felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 09:45 PM
Max Levine

I understand the frustration among french quebecers. After all, Pierre Boivin is the one who said the organization would emphasize on the hiring of french elements (or quebecers). Funny to see the Lightning giving the impression of going in that direction, lol

When I first heard the news of Cunneyworth/Ladouceur being hired, I saw it as a pretty good move. It is quite normal that Gauthier/Martin, or anyone else, would try to duplicate previous success. Dominic Moore was picked up because Martin was aware of his value. Cunneyworth's playing style corresponds perfectly to JM's preferences. Reading how Randy's coaching style conforms to Lindy Ruff's and thus made for an easier transition for the youngsters in the Sabres organization made me think that Martin was surely looking for the same result.

My main concern goes along the same thought process of Whitesnake: the Randys are old style. Quite the opposite of what has been implemented last season with tremendous success.

Personally, I don't care much about a coach statistics in the AHL. Sure, winning is important; fans want to see their team being successful. But this team is used first and foremost for the development of young players. Coaches success should be examined through that development. I asked, last year, if Boucher would be able to obtain the same kind of results in the NHL because I saw him as an educator; the perfect development instructor. I still believe that is what our farm team coaches must be. Are the Randys specialized in development and teaching? Or were they hired to implement the same style of play JM is using? Is the latter course of action the ideal strategy to get the best results from youngsters aiming at a NHL career?

One thought I had concerned Sergei Kostitsyn. How could it be that SK accepted Boucher's directives (mind you, I am only assuming but it seemed like it) but, when he returned to JM and the Habs, he still couldn't deal with the authority? There was little doubt in my mind that Boucher would have been able to get the best of SK while Martin was failing. Was the transition poorly administered? Was this an element that Gauthier/Martin were considering when shopping for the Bulldogs coaching staff? Individuals who would impose the same coaching style, procedure, technique?

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote