Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How Handcuffed is Murray by Budget/Lupul's Status

Old
07-21-2010, 11:30 AM
caliamad

vCash: 500
How Handcuffed is Murray by Budget/Lupul's Status

While I've been in the band wagon that Murray has done very little this offseason, I'm beginning to wonder if he's handcuffed.

Murray still has to sign Bobby & Wiz, how much of his internal budget does he need to set aside

Lupul is having an MRI. Who wants to trade for a guy who hasn't played a game since 2009 and has 3 years @ 4.25 cap/salary.

Who wants Jason Blake 2 years 4/3 cap salary?

Where do you find salary/cap space to move for another defenseman?

I think the ducks can take on some salary in any deal, but I don't think its 4+ million.

The problem is besides, Blake & Lupul, we don't have smaller salaries we can move... expect possibly Marchant.

This leads me to believe that Murray might be handcuffed by the situation.

Unless a team gets frustrated by lack of movement, he has few options.

The two options I think he could pursue is

1. Blake + prospect/picks for Souray
2. Marchant + prospect for Bieska

In both cases we take on some salary which seems like is gold in NHL now (see Gagne deal, however I also heard he only lifted NTC for Tampa).

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 11:43 AM
Takao
kesbae

If I remember correctly, talks with Teemu should be going on this week.
NHL Network was showing the dates in which players will be having their hearings. Wiz's is on 8/3 I believe.

I really only think Murray is having problems with Ryan and Wiz. Once Selanne decides what he wants to do and And Wiz is either signed or not, he choose either to go the trade route with a defenseman or sign a FA.

Hopefully Lupul will be healthy, doesn't sound like things are gloom so we can only hope.

Takao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Pepper

I think Murray is just waiting for Wiz's and Ryan's situations to clear before making more moves.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 01:00 PM
Jerky Leclerc

Burke killed us in 07 when he signed Bertuzzi and Schneider to big contracts out of the free agency gates. We spent our cap space and made ourselves prey to desparate teams like Edmonton. Bob Murray is doing the prudent thing and waiting for Ryan to sign. We need to have enough cap space to deter other teams from making an offer sheet. Without any external pressure, the Ducks can sit on Ryan and force him to sign a deal that fits the team salary structure. If Selanne signs for 2.5 mil and Wiz for 3.5 mil, the Ducks would have enough for Ryan and another defensemen acquired through trade.

Jerky Leclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 03:14 PM
defer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
I think Murray is just waiting for Wiz's and Ryan's situations to clear before making more moves.
i'm sorry but that is stupid. I undertsand Teemu is awsome for his salary and one of my favorite players but he is kind of holding us back. I would rather he have retired before the drfat then wait this long to resign.

If he had retired then we could have either A. gotten some replacements with out draft picks and moved on.

B. established that we are not going to compete this year and structured our salary for the fairly deep free agency next year.

defer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 03:29 PM
getzforfighting*

Send a message via MSN to getzforfighting*
Quote:
Originally Posted by defer View Post
i'm sorry but that is stupid. I undertsand Teemu is awsome for his salary and one of my favorite players but he is kind of holding us back. I would rather he have retired before the drfat then wait this long to resign.

If he had retired then we could have either A. gotten some replacements with out draft picks and moved on.

B. established that we are not going to compete this year and structured our salary for the fairly deep free agency next year.
I undertsand teemu selanne is not to blame at all. Retiring before the drfat wouldnt have done a thing. Bob still has the ball in his court with all of this and nobody really understands that. Yes, Bobby is taking a bit longer than expected, but when Bobby gets signed (which he will, no doubt) then Murray will be able to 1) attract another FA like Mitchell or 2) Trade Lupul/Blake/Marchant, prospects etc for one of Souray, Bieksa or even Salvador. I also expect Wishnewski to be resigned, although Clarke Macarthur got 2.5 million in his hearing and he is garbage, we can expect Wishnewski to be around 3 million or so. Either way you look at it we will still be able to ice a good lineup with a good amount of wiggle space

getzforfighting* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 03:32 PM
justheducks

Send a message via AIM to justheducks
0% budget problems as long as Wiz doesn't get over $3.5 million at arbitration and Ryan doesn't get more then $5 million if he stays.

justheducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 06:01 PM
caliamad

Quote:

What makes you think he's the one holding up the show? How do you know Bob Murray didn't ask him to wait until he figures out Bobby & defense so he doesn't have to lowball him.

Old
07-21-2010, 06:03 PM
caliamad

If Boston can't find a good deal for Savard or Thomas, and Leafs can't find a deal for kaberle, how the hell do we expect Murray to move cap hit Blake or damaged goods Lupul.

Old
07-21-2010, 07:34 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
0% budget problems as long as Wiz doesn't get over $3.5 million at arbitration and Ryan doesn't get more then $5 million if he stays.
The problem is both of your "as long as ____" scenarios are quite possible.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 08:57 PM
defer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliamad View Post
If Boston can't find a good deal for Savard or Thomas, and Leafs can't find a deal for kaberle, how the hell do we expect Murray to move cap hit Blake or damaged goods Lupul.
thanks for the input.

Old
07-21-2010, 09:19 PM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

Maybe this is why Lupul had the MRI, to show potential suitors an update on his condition. Just a thought.

As for the original question, my guess is that he's handcuffed a fair bit by everything, and that he wants certain pieces in place, like Bobby and at least a verbal committment from Teemu, before making moves. It makes sense, as if he trades Lupul for a defenseman, Selanne retires and Bobby holds out, we're pretty much ****ed. I think Bobby's a bigger domino than Lupul at this point, but we'll see.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 11:13 PM
Pepper

Quote:

That's just utter crapola. Selanne is the least of our problems, his salary is pretty much set (low base + performance bonuses) like it has been since the lock-out.

He just wants to see what the team is going to look like, Murray has said he has no problems with this.

Ryan and the defense are the biggest question marks at this point.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 11:21 PM
defer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ryan Getzlaf View Post
Maybe this is why Lupul had the MRI, to show potential suitors an update on his condition. Just a thought.

As for the original question, my guess is that he's handcuffed a fair bit by everything, and that he wants certain pieces in place, like Bobby and at least a verbal committment from Teemu, before making moves. It makes sense, as if he trades Lupul for a defenseman, Selanne retires and Bobby holds out, we're pretty much ****ed. I think Bobby's a bigger domino than Lupul at this point, but we'll see.
am i the only one who thinks lupul can come back from this and play like he started to last year? i thought he played great for us before he was hurt.

Not to mention he is still young. i would much rather keep him and trade blake. blake has no value. a healthy lupul can get us pronger

Old
07-22-2010, 02:58 AM
caliamad

The problem is who would want blake? A team desperate to get to the cap floor?

I just don't see too many teams wanting to take him unless their giving us back a bigger problem.

Old
07-22-2010, 03:08 AM
defer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliamad View Post
The problem is who would want blake? A team desperate to get to the cap floor?

I just don't see too many teams wanting to take him unless their giving us back a bigger problem.
or we give an incentive like our 1st for 11.

Old
07-22-2010, 10:09 PM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

Quote:
am i the only one who thinks lupul can come back from this and play like he started to last year? i thought he played great for us before he was hurt.

Not to mention he is still young. i would much rather keep him and trade blake. blake has no value. a healthy lupul can get us pronger
I love Lupul, and would love to keep him, but it looks unlikely. The others are too valuable to trade and it's safe to say that unless Edmonton would accept Blake for Souray or something, it'll be next to impossible to trade him.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 10:15 PM
Selanne138

Quote:
or we give an incentive like our 1st for 11.
id rather keep blake than just throw away our first round pick for nothing

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 11:23 PM
getzforfighting*

Send a message via MSN to getzforfighting*
blake would be an awfully good mentor for eberle

getzforfighting* is offline   Reply With Quote