HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Experienced beer leaguers, please weigh in...

Old
07-22-2010, 10:37 AM
nystromshairstylist
Fire Capuano

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
If you want officials to call everything in men's rec hockey, you are gonna want to get into another sport because that won't happen, for 2 reasons, A. games would take way too long, and B. teams won't have enough players, typically in a men's game, for every penalty that is actually called, there are 3-4 that could have been called, that's just how it is.
I played many years of organized baseball and basketball - and reffed it too, so this is the case in most sports, many things won't be called.

HOWEVER, given how dangerous hockey is - look at the "slewfoot" issue mentioned in this thread - it is imperative that the refs blow the whistle on particularly aggregious plays, especially those with intent to injure. A 2-handed shove long after the puck was passed has no other purpose i can think of, and would it not be roughing even in the NHL? This is a no-checking league, so i cannot guess how someone can explain away a 2-handed push in a league where you are supposed to be chasing the puck - not the person.

Quote:
For the absolute moron who told you to slewfoot someone, the guy should never step on the ice again, that is absolutely brutal, and the guy obviously has never been on the receiving end of a well timed slewfoot otherwise he would know better than to state that.
I've fallen now several times backwards on my left hip, either through my own awkwardness or being pushed, etc. and it is getting more and more sore after each game - i wonder if i've seriously injured it...?

Since a slewfoot leads to someone falling directly backwards, I'd have to say that this is a rather improper, unsportsmanlike move...

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:52 PM
triggrman

vCash: 557
I'm not saying one way or the other as I have not seen you skate, but the guy might not have shoved you as hard as it felt. What I mean is he might have been giving you a "let 'em know you're there" shove in his eyes but you being a beginner it impact of the shove was much greater than he intended.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 10:47 PM
Hockeyfan68

Unfortunately I doubt there are men's hockey leagues without at least one dooooshbag team in it.

yeah .... guys who think there are scouts in the empty seats.

Friggin numbnutted backwoods Jamooks.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 11:06 PM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Unfortunately I doubt there are men's hockey leagues without at least one dooooshbag team in it.

yeah .... guys who think there are scouts in the empty seats.

Friggin numbnutted backwoods Jamooks.
Agreed. I hate losing. I mean absolutely HATE it. I play every game like its game 7 of the SCF, I'll admit that much. Theres a way to play extremly competitive and still dont be a ****** bag. If you want to win so badly, go down and block some shots. Back check like a beast, dish the puck to your team mates and get them involved in the play. I play in a beer league that would be considered B level. We have a guy on our team whos a novice player, on the lower scale of Novice as well. I just let him know, if you see me with the puck just crash the net. In a ten game season he notched 4 goals all because he did just that. He loved it.

Everyone pays to play, no need to be a ****** bag out there. Everyone has to go to work in the morning. Wish more people understood that.

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Toes

I was in a game with ******** like that one time. We were playing the championship game against a team up a tier, and they ****ing dominated us without discretion. After they got up 5-0, they were still shoving us around even though they were two years older and playing rough. The refs didn't call anything, so we decided to retaliate. Who knew that a couple of shoves, and a bit of smack talking would get you kicked out by the ref, even though the other team was doing it the entire game. By the end of the game, there wasn't anyone left on our bench.

Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 11:42 PM
Razzmatazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Believe me, it's 10 times more fun playing against people your skill level.

Oh, and if the league director wants to keep the teams, he'll want to make sure the refs are doing a good job. I won't pay to play with hacks.
In meaningful games, certainly...I usually play with people well beyond my level for pickup games so that I can at least come back to my appropriate level with the game slowed down a bit.

Last edited by Razzmatazz: 07-23-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 12:08 AM
The Spicy Shrimp

Reading this thread, I'm feeling good about going with a "beginner league" at a rink that focuses on training rather than a general D league at a rink that offers no classes at all. I don't think I could focus on getting better if I had to deal with men's league all stars.

The Spicy Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 12:23 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spicy Shrimp View Post
Reading this thread, I'm feeling good about going with a "beginner league" at a rink that focuses on training rather than a general D league at a rink that offers no classes at all. I don't think I could focus on getting better if I had to deal with men's league all stars.
Good luck finding one,

What area of the country are you in?

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 12:33 AM
The Spicy Shrimp

Quote:
Good luck finding one,

What area of the country are you in?
I already found it.

I'm in Detroit, so you can't spit without hitting a rink, but only one near me (Suburban Ice) really focuses on instruction.

The Spicy Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:56 AM
frito

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I'm not saying one way or the other as I have not seen you skate, but the guy might not have shoved you as hard as it felt. What I mean is he might have been giving you a "let 'em know you're there" shove in his eyes but you being a beginner it impact of the shove was much greater than he intended.
That would be the problem. A lot of these yahoos are playing in a divison three levels below their skill level. They need to save that crap for their own skill level and give the guys are playing at the appropriate level a chance to improve and succeed.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 04:36 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
A lot of the times, in men's rec hockey, the players don't know the limits of what they can do, what they can't do, what is incidental, and what has a message attached to it.

IE. the guy who pushed you after the pass, no one can come on here and tell you, yea, that's a penalty, without actually seeing it, sometimes it can be, sometimes it won't be.

If you want officials to call everything in men's rec hockey, you are gonna want to get into another sport because that won't happen, for 2 reasons, A. games would take way too long, and B. teams won't have enough players, typically in a men's game, for every penalty that is actually called, there are 3-4 that could have been called, that's just how it is.

For the absolute moron who told you to slewfoot someone, the guy should never step on the ice again, that is absolutely brutal, and the guy obviously has never been on the receiving end of a well timed slewfoot otherwise he would know better than to state that.
yes i have. why do you think i learned it?

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote