HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ilya Kovalchuk to the Devils UPDATE: NHL rejects contract (Part III)

Closed Thread

Old
07-22-2010, 10:56 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by symbology View Post
IMO, there are two reasons why the first two years are at $6M. #1) If there was going to be a lockout, Kovalchuk wanted to minimize his financial losses. #2) $6M is the number that allows his contract to grow to league maximum the very next year.
this makes no sense. The devils could have paid him league max off the bat, and that would minimize his losses due to a lockout/salary rollback because then he would get more guaranteed money upfront.

I believe that the devils basically said: sure, we'll give you 95/10, but we wont escalate to league max until after two years. The reasoning is twofold. First of all, it's heatley protection. If kovy demands a trade within two years, the devils havnt lost too much money. Secondly, I believe the devils are expecting a salary rollback, and this would allow them to pay significantly less than the 95M/10 because by the time IK's contract gets to those max year's, his salary will have been rolled back by 5-10%.

07-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Blackjack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshots1515 View Post
Yeah, I mean I'm not all for seeing goalies get run, especially because they are a lot more immobile. Just sick of seeing them barely get tapped and calls being made. Special rules for it might not be a bad idea, although I'm not sure exactly what.
Well, I'm just glad that Patrik Roy played before the era of the trapazoid - that made for some entertaining youtube videos.

I'm going to assume that since The Wings are in the Western Conference, Detroit is on the Pacific Coast somewhere. Certainly not a couple hundred miles West of Buffalo, forcing the team to fly thousands of unnecessary miles every year. That would be ridiculous.

Anyway, waaay over here in the Eastern Time Zone, it's pretty late, so I have to go to bed.

Goodnight.

Old
07-22-2010, 11:08 PM
slapshots1515

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
Well, I'm just glad that Patrik Roy played before the era of the trapazoid - that made for some entertaining youtube videos.

I'm going to assume that since The Wings are in the Western Conference, Detroit is on the Pacific Coast somewhere. Certainly not a couple hundred miles West of Buffalo, forcing the team to fly thousands of unnecessary miles every year. That would be ridiculous.

Anyway, waaay over here in the Eastern Time Zone, it's pretty late, so I have to go to bed.

Goodnight.
Can't share the Patrick Roy-watching love. Wings fan and all, you know. Even the hockey fan in me has to draw a line somewhere.

Yeah, the league seems to think so at least. Heck, half our games during the year aren't even done by now! But goodnight.

Old
07-22-2010, 11:09 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

This is great, read the first thread about it on the Devils board for a good laugh.

On the bright side, maybe Devils fans will realize that Lou dosn't have as much power as they thought. That thread is hilarious though.

Old
07-22-2010, 11:34 PM
TOML

'Lou is a pimp'

FAIL

Old
07-22-2010, 11:43 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:

Goodnight.
Elvis has left the building...........thank god

Old
07-22-2010, 11:53 PM
None Shall Pass
Got Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshots1515 View Post
Even the hockey fan in me has to draw a line somewhere.
This assures me that you are not the CBA.

Old
07-22-2010, 11:54 PM
Omar Little
Omar comin yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
This is great, read the first thread about it on the Devils board for a good laugh.

On the bright side, maybe Devils fans will realize that Lou dosn't have as much power as they thought. That thread is hilarious though.
You mad?

Old
07-22-2010, 11:59 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Reynolds View Post
You mad?
Not in the least. What reason would I have to be upset? I see Kovalchuk signing with the Devils shortly with an adjusted contract.

Old
07-23-2010, 12:22 AM
Dialamo
Nu Joyzee Dovals

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
'Lou is a pimp'

FAIL
I'm a little confused. Are you trying to troll again?

Old
07-23-2010, 12:25 AM
slapshots1515

Quote:
Originally Posted by None Shall Pass View Post
This assures me that you are not the CBA.
haha

Old
07-23-2010, 12:26 AM
slapshots1515

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
'Lou is a pimp'

FAIL
Come on man. No trolling needed.

Old
07-23-2010, 12:33 AM
Isles_Guy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Ugh, now you're doing it too?

My reaction would be pretty much the same as when they outlawed half of Brodeur's game. Shrug my shoulders and hope that we can win despite the league hating us.

I believe both terms are correct, I looked them up in the dictionary. I use arbiter because it's shorter...
arbiter comes from the latin, which is the original form, I just use it because I was a fed for so long and the government is anal retentive

Old
07-23-2010, 01:53 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
this makes no sense. The devils could have paid him league max off the bat, and that would minimize his losses due to a lockout/salary rollback because then he would get more guaranteed money upfront.

I believe that the devils basically said: sure, we'll give you 95/10, but we wont escalate to league max until after two years. The reasoning is twofold. First of all, it's heatley protection. If kovy demands a trade within two years, the devils havnt lost too much money. Secondly, I believe the devils are expecting a salary rollback, and this would allow them to pay significantly less than the 95M/10 because by the time IK's contract gets to those max year's, his salary will have been rolled back by 5-10%.
Or Vanderbeek who is bleeding money every season with no end in sight wants one more shot at the Cup before Marty retires, the veterans go and he sells the team...I don't think he will get that Cup but he will continue to see his Wall Street money dwindle.

Old
07-23-2010, 02:34 AM
Xander Crews
Genius Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Or Vanderbeek who is bleeding money every season with no end in sight wants one more shot at the Cup before Marty retires, the veterans go and he sells the team...I don't think he will get that Cup but he will continue to see his Wall Street money dwindle.
I could definitely be wrong but i was pretty sure the Devils fans were talking about how they have been making money and not losing it since the new area opened.

Old
07-23-2010, 03:40 AM
MountainGoat
Re-sign Jagr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
u mad? or just bitter?

there's a reason Vanderbeek was voted 2nd best owner in the NHL by Sports Illustrated, the guy got us a new arena for **** sake and the team has been profitable the last three years

seriously though, 90% of the post's in this thread are from king's fans, whats that tell you?

Closed Thread