HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carter/Giroux/Leino/Zherdev cap hit next year?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-23-2010, 05:16 AM
  #1
phillyfanatic
Registered User
 
phillyfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
Carter/Giroux/Leino/Zherdev cap hit next year?

Curious what you think these guys will want/get? Also curious the max you give for each

Carter:
Giroux:
leino:
zherdev:

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 05:25 AM
  #2
phillyfanatic
Registered User
 
phillyfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
Carter:6-6.5
Giroux:3-4.5
leino:2-3.5
zherdev:4-5

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 06:30 AM
  #3
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,548
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Carter I'd say 6-7 mil but I fully expect him to be traded at the deadline.
Giroux will probably be in the 3-4 range.
Leino is a crap shoot at this point. If he plays like he did in the playoffs I could see him getting 3-4 million, maybe not from the Flyers but from someone.
Zherdev is in the same boat as Leino. If he produces he could see a pretty nice raise into the 3-4 million area, but if he craps out I could easily see him just heading back to Russia or playing for a lower salary than he is now.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 06:35 AM
  #4
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,839
vCash: 156
someone is gonna be gone, and i think its gonna depend on leino and zherdev. no clue what they'll make, depends on how their season goes.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 06:44 AM
  #5
El Emperor
Registered User
 
El Emperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Woodstown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
someone is gonna be gone, and i think its gonna depend on leino and zherdev. no clue what they'll make, depends on how their season goes.
I think it's going to work this way... if Carter is still around by next offseason... Carter and Giroux will probably still be around. Then MAYBE Zherdev OR Leino can be fit into the books (not both).

If Carter is gone (and if so, the return better be epic), I would expect all three of the others to stick around.

Of course all of this depends on how well they play throughout the year.

I'm pretty sure the one guy that is a lock for the Flyers 2011 season is Giroux... but knowing Homer, who knows?

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 07:08 AM
  #6
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,484
vCash: 500
We can't resign all of them next year..

Some of them are goners.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 07:11 AM
  #7
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic
 
might2mash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Bend
Country: United States
Posts: 4,616
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan333 View Post
I'm pretty sure the one guy that is a lock for the Flyers 2011 season is Giroux... but knowing Homer, who knows?
Don't count on it. I've decided my next jersey will be a Giroux, so he probably won't last past the trade deadline.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 07:21 AM
  #8
chimrichalds18
the key
 
chimrichalds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,769
vCash: 500
Another good reason to get rid of Briere asap. Not personal, strictly business. His contract's already cost us and it's only gonna get worse.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 07:43 AM
  #9
Snotbubbles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Another good reason to get rid of Briere asap. Not personal, strictly business. His contract's already cost us and it's only gonna get worse.
Easier said then done.

First you have to find a team that Briere would waive his NMC to go to. Then that team has to be willing to eat Briere's salary. Briere's salary doesn't drop until the 13/14, chances are he's probably with us until then.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 08:36 AM
  #10
chimrichalds18
the key
 
chimrichalds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Easier said then done.

First you have to find a team that Briere would waive his NMC to go to. Then that team has to be willing to eat Briere's salary. Briere's salary doesn't drop until the 13/14, chances are he's probably with us until then.
No I completely understand -- I know it's easier said than done -- but it's like the Campbell situation in Chicago: Holmgren should be shopping that. It should be #2 on his priority list behind getting a goalie.

I guess if Briere doesn't want to go, he doesn't have to, but you might as well try. LA might actually be a decent destination for us to try to shop him. I wouldn't even care if we got a ****** return for him -- 50/60 cents on the dollar. I can't see how that contract doesn't kill us in the future.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 08:48 AM
  #11
agrudez*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
Carter: 7-8 (unless we front load the hell out of it)
Giroux: 2-3 for 2 years or 3-4 for 3-4 years
leino: 2-3
zherdev: 4-5

C'est ne bonne pas mon amis.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 08:52 AM
  #12
Snotbubbles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Carter: 7-8 (unless we front load the hell out of it)
Giroux: 2-3 for 2 years or 3-4 for 3-4 years
leino: 2-3
zherdev: 4-5

C'est ne bonne pas mon amis.
7-8 for Carter and I'm letting him walk and taking the draft picks.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 08:58 AM
  #13
bennysflyers16
Registered User
 
bennysflyers16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,661
vCash: 50
No way Carter gets over 6 mill from us unless he scores 40 goals and puts up over 80 points . I would offer him 9 years , 47 mill with it front loaded, but no way he gets over 6 mill.

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 09:06 AM
  #14
chimrichalds18
the key
 
chimrichalds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
No way Carter gets over 6 mill from us unless he scores 40 goals and puts up over 80 points . I would offer him 9 years , 47 mill with it front loaded, but no way he gets over 6 mill.
Just out of curiosity, are you saying there's no way the Flyers will offer him anything over 6 million, or are you saying there's no way he deserves 6+?

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 09:13 AM
  #15
tlkamps
Registered User
 
tlkamps's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 196
vCash: 500
I posted this in the Zherdev signing topic but it applies here as well.

I could definitely see this happening. Leino has a disappointing season this year, so we bring back Zherdev at 3m, Giroux at 3.5m and Carter at 7 for 13.5 total. Which is that amount we plan on having next year anyway. Hopefully accounting for a +2m cap raise and we should be in good shape for maybe 1 bottom 6 player and an AHL call up.

tlkamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 09:21 AM
  #16
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Carter I'd say 6-7 mil but I fully expect him to be traded at the deadline.
Yeah, makes sense. Flyers in first place in the Atlantic, second in the East, and Cup contenders trade their 1C and leading scorer, Jeff Carter, because he's having too good a season and will need a raise.
Yeah, that's going to happen.

Give your head a shake.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 09:28 AM
  #17
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,422
vCash: 500
Carter being leveraged for cap space and assets makes the most sense especially if he commands over 6M. The only way to justify paying him that much or beyond in the 7M range is if he becomes more of a consistent player offensively. The whole disappearing act for 10 games and appearing for 5 games is getting old. He has to become more of a consistent player instead of streaky to warrant tying up so much money given the other contracts that will be up. I don't see Leino and Zherdev together being signed...one of them is gone. Giroux should be back but he will need to put together a consistent year as well. Any long term injuries with either of these guys though will be tough in gauging their values going forward especially if it's Carter. I don't know if the Flyers should wait in his case until the end of the season to possibly part ways if the goaltending situation is still shaky. They may be forced in some ways to trade him earlier despite Holmgren's death grip on him.

As far as Briere...well yeah unloading his cap hit would make a lot of sense but not so much if you want anything in return asset wise. It would be another Gagne situation. That's why again Carter makes more sense on many levels. He is the most tradeable asset we have and again if he gets some kind of major injury the Flyers will be screwed ..kind of like when we were held hostage by Primeau that one year.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 09:30 AM
  #18
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,032
vCash: 500
I can't see the Flyers offering Carter more than Richards. I figure they'll offer him a long term deal at about the same rate. Either he takes it or leaves it, and the one thing the Flyers have going for them is he seems to be firmly entrenched in the Philly area.

Leino and Zherdev...too early to tell. Leino was awesome in the playoffs but we haven't seen him during the regular season. Zherdev has a ton to prove. With Giroux, it's hard to say but I think 3-4 million.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 09:31 AM
  #19
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Every one of these guys has a lot to prove this year. Doesn't really make sense to put a number on them at this point.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 09:32 AM
  #20
McNasty
Registered User
 
McNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Rutgers
Country: United States
Posts: 5,634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Carter being leveraged for cap space and assets makes the most sense especially if he commands over 6M. The only way to justify paying him that much or beyond in the 7M range is if he becomes more of a consistent player offensively. The whole disappearing act for 10 games and appearing for 5 games is getting old. He has to become more of a consistent player instead of streaky to warrant tying up so much money given the other contracts that will be up. I don't see Leino and Zherdev together being signed...one of them is gone. Giroux should be back but he will need to put together a consistent year as well. Any long term injuries with either of these guys though will be tough in gauging their values going forward especially if it's Carter. I don't know if the Flyers should wait in his case until the end of the season to possibly part ways if the goaltending situation is still shaky. They may be forced in some ways to trade him earlier despite Holmgren's death grip on him.

As far as Briere...well yeah unloading his cap hit would make a lot of sense but not so much if you want anything in return asset wise. It would be another Gagne situation. That's why again Carter makes more sense on many levels. He is the most tradeable asset we have and again if he gets some kind of major injury the Flyers will be screwed ..kind of like when we were held hostage by Primeau that one year.
Hes our best trade chip because he's our best forward. Trading him to keep Giroux Leino and Zherdev would be stupid.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 09:37 AM
  #21
chimrichalds18
the key
 
chimrichalds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Carter being leveraged for cap space and assets makes the most sense especially if he commands over 6M. The only way to justify paying him that much or beyond in the 7M range is if he becomes more of a consistent player offensively. The whole disappearing act for 10 games and appearing for 5 games is getting old. He has to become more of a consistent player instead of streaky to warrant tying up so much money given the other contracts that will be up. I don't see Leino and Zherdev together being signed...one of them is gone. Giroux should be back but he will need to put together a consistent year as well. Any long term injuries with either of these guys though will be tough in gauging their values going forward especially if it's Carter. I don't know if the Flyers should wait in his case until the end of the season to possibly part ways if the goaltending situation is still shaky. They may be forced in some ways to trade him earlier despite Holmgren's death grip on him.

As far as Briere...well yeah unloading his cap hit would make a lot of sense but not so much if you want anything in return asset wise. It would be another Gagne situation. That's why again Carter makes more sense on many levels. He is the most tradeable asset we have and again if he gets some kind of major injury the Flyers will be screwed ..kind of like when we were held hostage by Primeau that one year.
I'm just going to address your last paragraph. With regards to unloading Briere, the primary goal of unloading him would be to get space, not assets. Also, Carter -- he's not even in his prime -- he's getting there, and he's a proven scorer. He's done it and he can do it again. Briere's past his prime, but he's still effective. All that taken together - there's no reason why we shouldn't be trying to move Briere now. We need to try to win the Cup within the next 2-3 years. Trading Carter and getting assets doesn't help us do that...trading Briere for a roster player or two, maybe a pick, does (while allowing us to keep people like Carter, Giroux, etc)

I'd be surprised if we keep Carter, Richards, and Briere, only because that's basically 3 $6 million contracts. Also ask yourself this: how many times has Briere been the best player in a game for us over the course of the season. Richards? Carter? Briere's not even close to the other two in that category.

Something's gotta give, so we'll see.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 09:50 AM
  #22
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Hes our best trade chip because he's our best forward. Trading him to keep Giroux Leino and Zherdev would be stupid.
Thank you for stating what should be obvious.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:04 AM
  #23
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Carter being leveraged for cap space and assets makes the most sense especially if he commands over 6M. The only way to justify paying him that much or beyond in the 7M range is if he becomes more of a consistent player offensively. The whole disappearing act for 10 games and appearing for 5 games is getting old. He has to become more of a consistent player instead of streaky to warrant tying up so much money given the other contracts that will be up. I don't see Leino and Zherdev together being signed...one of them is gone. Giroux should be back but he will need to put together a consistent year as well. Any long term injuries with either of these guys though will be tough in gauging their values going forward especially if it's Carter. I don't know if the Flyers should wait in his case until the end of the season to possibly part ways if the goaltending situation is still shaky. They may be forced in some ways to trade him earlier despite Holmgren's death grip on him.

As far as Briere...well yeah unloading his cap hit would make a lot of sense but not so much if you want anything in return asset wise. It would be another Gagne situation. That's why again Carter makes more sense on many levels. He is the most tradeable asset we have and again if he gets some kind of major injury the Flyers will be screwed ..kind of like when we were held hostage by Primeau that one year.
Plus you move Cartsie and get back a solid return you have now restocked the cupboard. Look at Boston moving Kessel, and Philly has a much better, deeper team than Boston. At some point the love for Carter was to wane and he needs to be realized as a commodity who can get significant return.

The options will basically be...Carter for four years @$7mill or eight years @$6mill and a NMC/NTC. See ya.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:05 AM
  #24
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
I'm just going to address your last paragraph. With regards to unloading Briere, the primary goal of unloading him would be to get space, not assets. Also, Carter -- he's not even in his prime -- he's getting there, and he's a proven scorer. He's done it and he can do it again. Briere's past his prime, but he's still effective. All that taken together - there's no reason why we shouldn't be trying to move Briere now. We need to try to win the Cup within the next 2-3 years. Trading Carter and getting assets doesn't help us do that...trading Briere for a roster player or two, maybe a pick, does (while allowing us to keep people like Carter, Giroux, etc)

I'd be surprised if we keep Carter, Richards, and Briere, only because that's basically 3 $6 million contracts. Also ask yourself this: how many times has Briere been the best player in a game for us over the course of the season. Richards? Carter? Briere's not even close to the other two in that category.

Something's gotta give, so we'll see.

Briere shows up in the clutch......Cartsie, eh not so much, advantage Briere.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:18 AM
  #25
langerrr
Registered User
 
langerrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Williamstown, NJ
Posts: 75
vCash: 500
i wouldn't mind giving giroux a johan franzen type deal.. 11 years at 43.5 million which makes a caphit of 3.95 million a year.. give carter a front loaded contract with a cap hit around the same as richards 5.75

leino and zherdev are both UFA i would actually prefer to lockdown leino first for a 3 year/9 million contract... a caphit of 3 million.

as for zherdev i think its too early to tell i dont think the flyers will be able to hold onto him after this season.

langerrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.