HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are you comfortable with Leighton and Boucher duo 2010-11?

View Poll Results: Are you comfortable with Leighton and Boucher duo 2010-11?
Yes 14 10.14%
No 74 53.62%
What can you do? 50 36.23%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-22-2010, 08:57 PM
Flyerfan808

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
no reason why you should not state your opinion..

and i agree with it 100% aswell..

Turco/Leighton combo (if do-able) would make for a exciting season.. i look forward to seeing it happen..

would love to be at the training camp and watch the goalies fighting for starter position..
Call me synical but I think the "fight" for the starter job between MFL and Marty Turco would look more like a war between mice and men.

I too would love to be there.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 10:52 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
I've been wondering if Biron was offered a contract or not?

edit: I'm guessing not because he would probably be paid at least a bit more here, and would probably have a shot at playing more games here than behind Lundqvist.
The Flyers have a history of not dealing with players that either choose arbitration or ask for way too much money.

Biron's agent ruined his career. He'd still be the starter and may well have his name on the Cup if he took a reasonable contract.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 12:34 AM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
Call me synical but I think the "fight" for the starter job between MFL and Marty Turco would look more like a war between mice and men.

I too would love to be there.
im going to disagree.. i think Leighton knows his going forward career is on the line this season..

how he does will determine if hes a NHL goalie or back to minors for his duration..

with that in mind i have to beleive he will be better then he ever has been, cuz he has to be..

but then again im a huge Leighton fanboy. so maybe im biased..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:03 AM
Mr Oysterhead

If the question refers to whether or not I expect us to win a cup, thats probably a no. I still think we'd be good enough to make the playoffs and then who knows. It certainly isn't an inspiring tandem.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:26 AM
StandingCow

No, both are only decent backup goalies... when is this franchise going to learn that we need a damn goalie?!

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:40 AM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
im going to disagree.. i think Leighton knows his going forward career is on the line this season..

how he does will determine if hes a NHL goalie or back to minors for his duration..

with that in mind i have to beleive he will be better then he ever has been, cuz he has to be..

but then again im a huge Leighton fanboy. so maybe im biased..
You're absolutely right, Leighton will have the fight of his career coming up in camp and that will be a huge motivator for him. As it currently stands MFL has to outperform: Boucher, Backlund, and possibly one of Ericsson/Bobrovski. As a 'Leighton hater' I would not be surprised if one of them stole the starting job from him outright nor would I be surprised if he won it.

However, if Turco gets thrown in the mix in the next couple weeks, then Mikey had better be on his **** come training camp. Either way he needs to take advantage of his time with Reese and get some serious work in beforehand.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 02:31 AM
PhilaFlyers

Nope.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 02:37 AM
Stockholm Syndrome

What can you do?

I like Michael Leighton. Just not as our starting goaltender. I did notice that he has somewhat of a mean streak. Hopefully he can summon the other, more important parts of Hextall's game. Like stopping pucks, for instance.

Stockholm Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 02:48 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post

I am very excited about this team. I think Homer has made some big mistakes this offseason, but looking at the end result - I am pretty excited to see this season start. If we sign Turco, I will be ecstatic.
this does not compute. Holmgren made some big mistakes but you are excited to start the season? Am I the only one missing something here?
if we sign Turco. I am begining to think its not going to happen now
Whats Holmgren/Snider going to do if the Flyers start 4-11-1 and Leighton and Boucher combined GAA is over 4?
I could give a rats ass if we have 6 future HOF on the blueline if you have jack and **** inbetween the pipes its not going to matter. If we pay 2.4 million for 2 goalies you pretty much get what you pay for. What happened last year was a aberration with our goaltending getting as far as we did with it.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 02:49 AM
Ola

Someone named Stockholm Syndrome posting in this thread is very very very fitting!!!

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 09:51 AM
dr.rosenrosen

How long/short is the leash on the Leighton/Boosh experiment. How far into the season do we get before the flyers look at themselves and say "oh crap we need a goalie!"

dr.rosenrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 09:55 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.rosenrosen View Post
How long/short is the leash on the Leighton/Boosh experiment. How far into the season do we get before the flyers look at themselves and say "oh crap we need a goalie!"
Assuming we are rolling with Boucher and Leighton and Turco is not coming here in August or September

If Boucher plays in pre-season like he did last year I'd show him the door before season starts. I mean why have him?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:00 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
this does not compute. Holmgren made some big mistakes but you are excited to start the season? Am I the only one missing something here?
if we sign Turco. I am begining to think its not going to happen now
Whats Holmgren/Snider going to do if the Flyers start 4-11-1 and Leighton and Boucher combined GAA is over 4?
I could give a rats ass if we have 6 future HOF on the blueline if you have jack and **** inbetween the pipes its not going to matter. If we pay 2.4 million for 2 goalies you pretty much get what you pay for. What happened last year was a aberration with our goaltending getting as far as we did with it.
Based on your name, I can see this is something you are a little biased on. I am very excited with this team, period. I think our top 9 can compete against all teams in the league. Our top 6 D may be the best in the league. The question is in goal. As Jester has pointed out, even if they are "not good", there is a very good chance that due to the strong team in front, they will still post .910ish 2.50ish numbers against the teams not named Pittsburgh and Washington (maybe a couple of others).

If we start 4-11-1 to start the season, I'll buy you a coke. It ain't happening. No way. If it does, again it was Jester that said "We're ******'. That is when the "Jeff Carter for Tim Thomas" rumours might actually have legs. And that would be no good for us.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:16 AM
CharlieGirl
Summer

Quote:
How long was Stevens allowed to overstay?
How long have the Flyers not had a goalie?

The answer to both is "far longer than it should have", which means that the likelihood of watching Leighton/Boucher suck ass will go longer than it should as well.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:53 AM
clodejirew

I honestly think that if the flyers don't sign another goalie, like Turco, that Backlund and Bobo both are going to get a good look for a spot in the NHL and maybe #1.

clodejirew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:55 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 800
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
No ****ing way.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 11:38 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

BIG EFFIN NO!

I hope Leighton reads this board and proves the majority of us wrong but something tells me that a lot of us will be proven right somewhere down the line. He's not starter material. If he had grabbed the finals series by the nutz I would have more confidence in him but c'mon the guy obviously fell massively short...not even a little. He totally regressed in his fundamentals and more often than not looked nervous and it was embarassing to have to listen to the announcers critique the guy and bring up the fact he wasn't playing well in the series. I don't mind Leighton as a person and as an above average backup but I can't take him seriously as a starter and despite what management is saying I don't think they are completely sold....this is all going to become a moot point eventually I think anyway.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 12:00 PM
qwertysac

Not at all.

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 12:02 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Based on your name, I can see this is something you are a little biased on. I am very excited with this team, period. I think our top 9 can compete against all teams in the league. Our top 6 D may be the best in the league. The question is in goal. As Jester has pointed out, even if they are "not good", there is a very good chance that due to the strong team in front, they will still post .910ish 2.50ish numbers against the teams not named Pittsburgh and Washington (maybe a couple of others).

If we start 4-11-1 to start the season, I'll buy you a coke. It ain't happening. No way. If it does, again it was Jester that said "We're ******'. That is when the "Jeff Carter for Tim Thomas" rumours might actually have legs. And that would be no good for us.
first off my name is a play(I think thats the right word to use) on the name I had when I first signed up here which was FireClarkeDotCom. taken from a website someone started(not me) back in the day. I picked this name the day Holmgren became GM. At first it was a joke. Now i would have to think it isnt and a mojority of the Flyer fans on this board would agree that Holmgren needs to be fired.
I think our top 9 could have competed against anyone before we traded Gagne. I still think we will have question marks on defense. Coburn and Carle still need guys to "babysit" them. Walker sucks, O'Donnell cant skate.
While i think Turco is far from a elite, he would be a major upgrade over any of the 2 clowns we have in goal now. When you have our all powerfull GM saying he likes our goaltending(probably the only GM who thinks that) then I would bet against Turco coming here. If happens, great. If not I wont be shocked.

EDIT: I dont think we will start 4-11-1 either, I was just throwing a number out there in case we sart the season struggling, mainly because of goaltending.
judging by this poll at least we know the fans who will blame Pronger,Timonen, Coburn ect ect. when Leighton gives up a goal from center ice. Probably the same group of fans who think Niittymaki is a starting goalie in the NHL based on a 7 game winning streak in 7 straight starts.

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 07-23-2010 at 12:37 PM.
GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 12:25 PM
Jester

Quote:
If it doesn't work out, and Turco has already signed somewhere... we're going to be good and proper *ed if Leighton/Boucher come out of the gate and play like their actual talent level, not what they showed at times last year (I think people forget that prior to his play against the Devs, Boucher was very much a backup when he was out there and returned to that form against the Bruins).

Maybe some other moves are going to be made, but we don't have a ton of assets to trade, and we won't have a ton of cap space once we get to the season (I don't think teams are going to be jumping to dump cheapish goalies that are good enough that you'd want them starting games for you on a regular basis).

That's what is so *ing stupid about what Holmgren has done here. Your 3rd pairing D doesn't need to be set in the summer... you can figure it out during the season, those guys are always available as the season progresses. Goalie... you need to have that **** locked down.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 12:32 PM
dr.rosenrosen

well i guess it's one more year of going into the year not knowing if your goalie situation will make it through the first month. hopefully backlund or bobo can step up and prove to really be number goalies not just fillers and pipe dreams.

dr.rosenrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 12:46 PM
DenverBoone

One positive thing about the logjam at defense is injury potential. We were blessed with a relatively healthy top 4 last year and we probably took it for granted. With Pronger and Timonen aging, either one of them could sustain an injury that keeps them out for a while. Then, we may be glad we have Mezaros and O'Donnell to step up (and I guess Walker). Granted there were probably a million better ways to address the depth issue.

Notwithstanding, failing to address the goalie situation is inexcusable. It's been covered ad-nauseum, but whoever 6 they play are going to have extreme pressure on them not to make any mistakes, because frick and frack in net can't stop a softie. So all year in the GDT's, we are going to be on every d-man's mistake when it causes a goal, knowing Homer could have brought somebody in to potentially cover those mistakes.

So, when Carle, Coburn, Pronger and Kimmo inevitably go brain-dead on a play, it is that much more more likely to result in a goal. Seems like a recipe for disaster.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 12:49 PM
CTU2fan

Quote:
The problem is, honestly, regular season Leighton was pretty much fine. Playoff Leighton was fine until he faced a superior offense. Unless he utterly craps the bed I don't think Homer will ever see an urgent need for an upgrade, so we'll roll into the postseason with Leighton and dread every minute of a series with the Caps or Pens.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 12:52 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post
The problem is, honestly, regular season Leighton was pretty much fine. Playoff Leighton was fine until he faced a superior offense. Unless he utterly craps the bed I don't think Homer will ever see an urgent need for an upgrade, so we'll roll into the postseason with Leighton and dread every minute of a series with the Caps or Pens.
You know what's awesome? Another team we are likely going to not really want to see with their finishers?

Tampa Bay Lightning.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:08 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You know what's awesome? Another team we are likely going to not really want to see with their finishers?

Tampa Bay Lightning.
So true. From what I understand, Gagne would only waive to Tampa......but damn, if he stays healthy, they are going to be a force. Can you imagine a 7 game round 1 series against Tampa Bay with Richards vs. Downie? Then Gagne rolls out and scores game winners. I think I have woken up in a sweat dreaming about this. Topper will be in Ellis turns out to be the guy we "should" have signed and takes insult to Philly not showing interest.

Tampa=dangerous. Especially for the Flyers.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote