HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey North America beginner league

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-23-2010, 09:13 AM
  #1
joeydzzle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
Hockey North America beginner league

So I've been playing league 8c (beginner league) adult hockey at the ice house for 2 season and I'm tired of being one of the worst players on my team. I start w little hockey experience. I can hold my own but I'm no where near as good as most of the players on my team (most have no business being in a beginner league).

I'm from north jersey and I was looking into adult hockey clinics. Does anyone have any thoughts on hockey north america (hna)? I know the ice house usually has beginner clinics in the fall too. Any help would be great.

joeydzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 09:19 AM
  #2
PuckHogs29
Registered User
 
PuckHogs29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydzzle View Post
So I've been playing league 8c (beginner league) adult hockey at the ice house for 2 season and I'm tired of being one of the worst players on my team. I start w little hockey experience. I can hold my own but I'm no where near as good as most of the players on my team (most have no business being in a beginner league).

I'm from north jersey and I was looking into adult hockey clinics. Does anyone have any thoughts on hockey north america (hna)? I know the ice house usually has beginner clinics in the fall too. Any help would be great.
I used to play at the Ice House all the time and still go there for open hockey in the fall/winter cause it's the closest rink to me. I just joined HNA this year and I'd highly recommend it even if you're looking at the beginner league. At times HNA is a pain in the rear but they're still miles above the Ice House. Also depending on what you want to spend and how far to travel the rink at the Palisades mall has a clinic on Tuesday nights at 10. 20 bucks gets you an hour of skills/drills and an hour scrimmage. Floyd Hall at Montclair U also has clinics, check their website at www.floydhallarena.com. The biggest thing is to just get out there and keep playing, keep practicing even if it's informal stuff like open hockey.

If you're looking to make the switch from house league to HNA though I'd say go for it 100%. I doubt I'd go back to house league unless HNA folded.

PuckHogs29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:32 AM
  #3
Skraut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Enter city here
Posts: 10,344
vCash: 500
I started in the Cleveland HNA this past winter, and love it. Had 8 weeks of "Training Camp" from an NHL player who lives in town, then scrimmages for the remainder of the season.

It's a bit pricey, especially the first season because they make you buy your jersey's from their supplier, but the competition is good and professional. HNA has pretty strict codes of conduct, so going from the winter games with them to the local rink's summer beer leagues where fights constantly break out were a bit of a shock.

Definitely recommend it.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:41 AM
  #4
Cowbell232
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydzzle View Post
So I've been playing league 8c (beginner league) adult hockey at the ice house for 2 season and I'm tired of being one of the worst players on my team. I start w little hockey experience. I can hold my own but I'm no where near as good as most of the players on my team (most have no business being in a beginner league).

I'm from north jersey and I was looking into adult hockey clinics. Does anyone have any thoughts on hockey north america (hna)? I know the ice house usually has beginner clinics in the fall too. Any help would be great.
How far are you from Dunellen?

The Rock Ice Center has a "Tuesday Night Clinic", which runs year round. It gets to be a bit on the pricey side (~$400 for a 13-week session) but the amount of improvement from every player that goes is absolutely amazing. You can also pay per session to see if you like it. We have everyone from D-leaguers who can barely skate to fringe B-leaguers come out and it's a lot of fun for everyone. I know it sounds hard to believe, but we all get along and push each other to be better. It's a great group of regulars.

We do 30 minutes of drills, whether it's skating/shooting/etc. with 2-3 coaches instructing us, and then a 3 period 20 running minutes game with a coach on each bench instructing everyone and a referee of course.

My name is Steve, don't be afraid to ask around for me if you decide to come out. I've only missed one Tuesday night in the last 5-6 months.

__________________
"Why I'll be a Devil forever [...] two words. Trust and respect." - Mr. Pat Burns
"I learned not to question Cowbell's willingness to ban." - Brian Boyle
Cowbell232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:43 AM
  #5
joeydzzle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
I started in the Cleveland HNA this past winter, and love it. Had 8 weeks of "Training Camp" from an NHL player who lives in town, then scrimmages for the remainder of the season.

It's a bit pricey, especially the first season because they make you buy your jersey's from their supplier, but the competition is good and professional. HNA has pretty strict codes of conduct, so going from the winter games with them to the local rink's summer beer leagues where fights constantly break out were a bit of a shock.

Definitely recommend it.
Really? I was under the assumption that the "uniform" rule was only for intermediates and up. Damn so do I need to buy matching helmets and socks? How much did everything cost you?

joeydzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 11:16 AM
  #6
Skraut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Enter city here
Posts: 10,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydzzle View Post
Really? I was under the assumption that the "uniform" rule was only for intermediates and up. Damn so do I need to buy matching helmets and socks? How much did everything cost you?
Might be different for each area but I think I paid nearly 150 for the jersey and socks. I don't remember off the top of my head because it was mandated where you get your jersey from, they just rolled the price in to the first year fees.

For our 2nd year we have to buy a 2nd jersey (white) but are planning on spending less than half because we're getting the jersey from another supplier.

It may be different if you're joining an existing team. Our group all went through the training class together and we had enough people to form a team. Naturally when EVERYBODY is new, the team is pretty bad, but it's a pretty unique bonding experience to go through everything together.

We may have been a special circumstance because of this, I don't know.

Helmets don't need to match. We have a couple with red helmets and one guy with gold.


Last edited by Skraut: 07-23-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 12:09 PM
  #7
Renneys Revenge
 
Renneys Revenge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 33
vCash: 500
I started as a beginner with HNA and my experience was really positive. I am in a different league right now because of location, but when I return to school in the Fall I definitely plan on joining it back up. Great program.

Renneys Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 07:17 PM
  #8
joeydzzle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
How are the first 8 weeks of actual lessons? I've been skating for a while, but I feel like I need to go back to square one and learn the fundamentals of skating (stopping, skating backwards, cross overs, tight turns)

joeydzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 07:29 PM
  #9
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Can't speak from a beginner's perspective, but I was one of the officials or their "championship" up in Toronto, and out of all the games I did, had not a single typical men's league problem, meaning, all of the guys were good guys, there was no BS, no ringers, there were some guys better than others, but that's just the natural order of things, some areas were better, ie, Chicago's Div 4, might be better than Cleveland's Div 4, etc, but they were still pretty close.

Real positive experience on the officials side, doing any HNA game, and that says something right there.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 11:17 AM
  #10
DevilsFan38
Registered User
 
DevilsFan38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckHogs29 View Post
I used to play at the Ice House all the time and still go there for open hockey in the fall/winter cause it's the closest rink to me. I just joined HNA this year and I'd highly recommend it even if you're looking at the beginner league. At times HNA is a pain in the rear but they're still miles above the Ice House. Also depending on what you want to spend and how far to travel the rink at the Palisades mall has a clinic on Tuesday nights at 10. 20 bucks gets you an hour of skills/drills and an hour scrimmage. Floyd Hall at Montclair U also has clinics, check their website at www.floydhallarena.com. The biggest thing is to just get out there and keep playing, keep practicing even if it's informal stuff like open hockey.

If you're looking to make the switch from house league to HNA though I'd say go for it 100%. I doubt I'd go back to house league unless HNA folded.
I live close by so I go to the clinics at Floyd Hall a lot, they usually have one Thursday evenings (times vary, generally around 9:30) and Sunday mornings at 8:10. It's an hour, they start with skating, then some puck drills, other drills (2 on 1's, etc), and generally finish with a 10 minute scrimmage. There's usually a really wide mix of skill levels, you get a few people who can barely skate up to a few guys who probably play in C leagues.

I like it, the mix of skills is nice because then you play with some better guys who can push you. And the instructors are good about mixing up the drills so it's not the same stuff every week.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 07:24 AM
  #11
Skraut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Enter city here
Posts: 10,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydzzle View Post
How are the first 8 weeks of actual lessons? I've been skating for a while, but I feel like I need to go back to square one and learn the fundamentals of skating (stopping, skating backwards, cross overs, tight turns)
For us there were quite a few skating drills, teaching, and helping people get better at many of the basic skills (stops, crossovers, backwards skating, pivots etc). There were also basic shooting lessons and puck carrying drills. We walked through plays, making sure everybody understood where they should be and why, and ended each practice with some 3 on 3 games.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 01:14 AM
  #12
Renneys Revenge
 
Renneys Revenge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 33
vCash: 500
my experience was about the same as skraut's. everyone i started with could skate (some better than others) and anyone falling behind such as those who didnt know how to stop got help from the other coach so as not to stop the practice. after basic skating technique we did puck carrying and passing, then moved on to shooting. at the end of each session we would scrimmage, luckily we had 1 goalie learning and another who just came for the practice. the mood is relaxed and everyone is there to have fun. didnt encounter any goons the whole time (thank goodness haha wouldve had to drop the gloves!)

Renneys Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.