HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Was acquiring Meszaros a good or bad idea?

View Poll Results: Was acquiring Meszaros a good or bad idea?
It was a good idea 48 39.34%
It was a bad idea 35 28.69%
Mediocre idea 39 31.97%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-23-2010, 11:46 AM
clodejirew

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
We need to dispense with this idea that acquiring Meszaros made moving Gagne necessary. Clearly they had decided to move Gagne already, before they acquired Mesz and signed Zherdev. It was just a matter of finding the right place for Gagne.

I agree that they could have just signed O'Donnell to play with Oskars, but they wanted to really improve the D without significantly hurting the offense - which they did by signing Zherdev.

I'd still love to see a better goalie signed, but I'm resigning myself to the fact they might not....
I'm not saying the Meszaros trade forced Gagne out because they were already planning on trading Gagne. I'm saying that if they traded Gagne first, the return would of been more because the whole NHL wouldn't of known that the Flyers are desperate for cap space again.

clodejirew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 11:52 AM
TheHMan

My impressions of Meszaros is that he's a player who had his hype and status skyrocket because of a great 1st season. He was playing on a stacked Senators team and was the beneficiary of a lot of scoring and depth.

When pieces of the team needed to be carted off because of the salary cap, expectations of him grew and he never really managed to make an impact on the 2nd pairing. He, along with Redden was consistently our worst pairing and they constantly made boneheaded mistakes that left us fuming.

He's been a player who typically holds so much promise, but at the end of the day leaves you wanting more. Tampa sort of bought into his image the same way New York went with Redden and he's probably paid double of what he should be making. He's still young though so he may turn it around... unlike Redden.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertsGuns View Post
I'm not saying the Meszaros trade forced Gagne out because they were already planning on trading Gagne. I'm saying that if they traded Gagne first, the return would of been more because the whole NHL wouldn't of known that the Flyers are desperate for cap space again.
How many teams would Gagne agree to go to. Sending him to a team he wanted to play for and taking a crappy return seems more like a thank you to Gagne move then a move that was forced.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 12:04 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

good idea.
having only 4 serviceable d men is as bad or worse than having a ***** goalie.
I think he really benefits from the change of scenery.

And I think it extends Pronger's REALLY good seasons by at least one

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 12:19 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
didnt like it then and I still dont like it. There was no need to give up an asset to get a 4 million dollar middle pairing defenseman. yes no matter what some people may think on this board, draft picks are valuable. But hey who needs draft picks when you have studs like Pither and Testwuide in your system right?

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 07-23-2010 at 12:42 PM.
GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 12:36 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Of course he benefitted from playing with Pronger, Carle is an offensive minded defenseman, he needs someone to anchor him when he pinches. In '08-'09 Carle had to alter his game dramatically because Coburn was not that backstop that he needed.

Btw, how did playing with an all star defenseman work out for Coburn the last few seasons? If I recall correctly, he even made Timonen look bad, that is impressive. He actually didn't start playing semi-competent until he was demoted to the 3rd line and didn't have to match up against talented lines, which is right where he will be this upcoming season.
Finally, someone who has nailed it on the head with regards to Coburn. So far in Coburn's career, he's been nothing more than a better skating version of Randy Jones.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 12:38 PM
clodejirew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
How many teams would Gagne agree to go to. Sending him to a team he wanted to play for and taking a crappy return seems more like a thank you to Gagne move then a move that was forced.
It doesn't matter what team he goes to, if the flyers are in trouble with the cap and they need to send a player away, they are not going to get as much in return as if they weren't desperate for cap room.

clodejirew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 12:59 PM
qwertysac

Mediocre, adds depth on D, but way too big off a cap hit.

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:06 PM
DrHamburg

lol can we wait for him to play first? He has the talent clearly, but lets wait to see what he does. Maybe he works out great, or maybe he is awful.

DrHamburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Walnut

I said mediocre idea.

The cap hit was the start of a chain reaction that meant Gagne was traded. To me this means that JVR will need to have a breakout season to replace the scoring lost with Simon gone. May be a big ask. Yes Zherdev will probably get around 20 goals but the guy defends like the French Army.

I get the point was to sure up the 3rd D pairing which was awful during the playoffs and with that it mind, it does, even though Meszaros has pretty much been a minus player ever since leaving Ottawa & Chara. He played with Walker, another big man last year, and still was a -8 (I think).

Also by later acquiring O'Donnell & Walker, aren't we stifling the prospects we've got on D? Personally I think that we have a half decent prospect pool on D what with Bartulis, Marshall & Lehtivuori.

I still believe we could have signed any of the following to lesser valued contracts and our 3rd D pairing would have been improved and we could have stayed under the cap.

Aaron Ward, Shaone Morrisonn, Denis Grebeshkov, Paul Mara, Andy Sutton, Jay McKee & Brian Pothier.

Yes some may be the wrong side of 35, but they could bring a guy like Bartulis along and probably for less than 4m a year.

Walnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Banger

all depends on how he plays. If he's the Ottawa Mezaros it's a good deal, if he's the TB Mezaros it's a bad deal.

Banger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 03:28 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
lol can we wait for him to play first? He has the talent clearly, but lets wait to see what he does. Maybe he works out great, or maybe he is awful.
You need to see how he plays to know if this was a good or idea or not?

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 04:37 PM
rban*

Pronger is old, Timo is old. Anyone considered the possibility that youngsters Mesz, Coburn, and Carle are all there to support the performance of the two oldsters, which will steadily decline from now on out? Five hi paid Dmen is a bad idea ordianrily, but what about the context? Context being that Philly's two best D are both alarmingly old?

And also to eventually replace those two when they get way too old?

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 04:55 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Last 6 months Coburn? Haha. He had about 3 weeks of the regular season where he played competent and then round 3 he played well and 4 he was pretty good.

Carle outplayed both Coburn and Meszaros by a wide margin last year... Gagne scored the game 4 OT winner against Bos, what about the sick pass that allowed him to basically deflect it effortlessly into the net? How about game 5 when Carle tied a franchise record for assists in a game? Game 3 against Chi when he fed Giroux for the overtime game winner? Game 82 when he was the only person able to put the puck past the league's best goalie who was playing most likely the best game of his career?

Carle stepped it up all year and even more so in big spots, people jerk off Coburn for his play in the Finals, that -8 sure does get me hard, too, guys.

The rankings from '09-'10 goes like this:
Carle>>Meszaros>Coburn

The rankings for their careers goes like this:
Meszaros>Carle>>Coburn

The rankings of their natural talent goes like this:
Coburn>>Meszaros>Carle

Talent gets you **** all in this world except on this board of prospect huggers that think everyone will fulfill their potential to its fullest, news flash, 4 seasons into Coburn's career and he is still a ****ing moron.
Disagree with almost every carrot in this.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 09:01 PM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
It would have been a good idea to gain Meszaros and ditch Carle
That still puts our Defence in the same situation it was in last year. Obtaining a guy like Messy and keep Carle was the right move.

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 09:04 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrieresSalary View Post
That still puts our Defence in the same situation it was in last year. Obtaining a guy like Messy and keep Carle was the right move.
No, not at all.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 01:57 AM
CorpseLW

ewww... I voted for 'good move' but now I see the contract. he better play like he's born again.

CorpseLW is offline   Reply With Quote