HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sami Salo...injured again during summer training (achilles tendon busted)

Old
07-23-2010, 01:16 PM
Reign Nateo

vCash: 500
If it's a full achilles tear we may not see Sami Salo for some time. Good thing Gillis didn't rush the Bieksa trade, looks like we'll need him now. Should have the depth to cover his end anyway now. As long as no one else gets hurt!

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:17 PM
metric

Canucks statement

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm...twt-vancanucks
Quote:
Vancouver Canucks defenceman, Sami Salo suffered an Achilles tear while training and is out indefinitely pending further evaluation. There will be no further comment from the club or Salo at this time.

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:19 PM
Canucker

First off....is it a reliable source? Yesterday there was a rumor going around that Rick DiPietro was killed in a car accident, then he was busted up in the car accident, then there was no car accident...so I'm skeptical until word actually comes down from the Canucks themselves, or at least a reliable source.
Second...if in fact he has ruptured his achilles tendon, that is a very nasty injury to recover from when you are younger, its a whole lot harder to recover from in your mid to late 30's. If these rumors are true and the injury is as serious as it could be and given Salo's injury history it could be the end for him in the NHL. He probably could spend the entire year on the LTIR then head back across the pond.
Third...if true, this makes things a little more interesting as to what Gillis is going to do regarding Bieksa and/or Mitchell.

Edit. I guess word came down....Poor Salo can't catch a break, unless its one of his bones.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:20 PM
DreamCatcher*

DreamCatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Slapshot_11

Sign Mitchell now

Slapshot_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

I think from an asset management point of view, it would be wise to trade Bieksa for assets, and re-sign Mitchell to a 2.5m/year contract. Then trade Obrien free up the additional contract hit from the Raymond contract.

It would be close, but I think it would fit under the cap.

Uhmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
topheavyhookjaw

Hmm, makes things interesting to say the least. I'd have to think this means if they were to trade Bieksa, O'Brien, Alberts and Rome all have to make the roster and we go with 7 like this:

Ballard-Hamhuis
Edler-Ehrhoff
Alberts-O'Brien
Rome

or they keep Bieksa and trade O'Brien.

I guess the other option is to trade Bieksa for a cheaper defender.

Makes Gillis' life a little more difficult than expected.

topheavyhookjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:22 PM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
You know that Gillis signed Joel Perrault to a one way contract less than 3 hours into free agency right?
That doesn't change the fact it would be nice to have a proper 4th line center. Joel has 70 NHL games to his name.

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:22 PM
Agent007

He's basically going to miss the first 2 to 4 months of the season.

Hopefully he's out for 4 months so that when he does get back he can take 2 months to get back into the groove of things and be ready for playoff action.

Salo wasn't going to play an 82 game season so maybe this just means he's more likely going to be available for the playoffs....then again it is Salo....

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:23 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

So what are our options?

Keep Bieksa, sign Mitchell?

07-23-2010, 01:24 PM
The Cowboy Poet

Quote:
You know that Gillis signed Joel Perrault to a one way contract less than 3 hours into free agency right?
That's why I said a proper fourth line centre. The Canucks are not unfamiliar with signing a player for the Moose/call up on a one way contract.

The Cowboy Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:25 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Roll View Post
That doesn't change the fact it would be nice to have a proper 4th line center. Joel has 70 NHL games to his name.
Was just pointing out that Gillis seems to think Perrault is good enough. Obviously we'd all like to see someone much more exciting. And then upon signing someone much more exciting, we'd pine for someone else.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:25 PM
metric

I still don't want Bieksa. I hope Gillis plans to either sign one (Mitchell - if healthy, Hendry, whoever). The only good thing with this is that Bieksa's value technically goes up. With Salo getting hurt, Bieksa no longer "has" to be moved so Gillis can raise the price a smidge.

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:26 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

As others have said, I'd rather trade Bieksa now than later (when Salo gets back) and get more value for him. We have 10 teams who are interested now...we probably won't have that many later in the season.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:26 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
This is a blessing in disguise if we re sign Mitchell because of it.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
So what are our options?

Keep Bieksa, sign Mitchell?
It doesn't really make sense to keep Bieksa as when Salo comes back, they would have to dump him quickly to get Salo off LTIR, which would bring back value significantly lower than what they could get now. It would make more sense to trade Bieksa now and sign a cheap defenceman who can be waived/traded when Salo comes off LTIR.

NHL defenceman available who might sign cheap:
Willie Mitchell
Shoane Morrisonn
Mike Mottau
Brian Pothier
Paul Mara
Mike Weaver
Aaron Johnson
Shane Hnidy

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:28 PM
fvari

Last edited by fvari: 07-10-2014 at 11:05 AM. Reason: So sensitive...
fvari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:29 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Was just pointing out that Gillis seems to think Perrault is good enough. Obviously we'd all like to see someone much more exciting. And then upon signing someone much more exciting, we'd pine for someone else.
Has Perrault changed his game since last season? Is he on a knew workout regimen? I can't honestly believe this guy is our answer to the fourth line when he had trouble cracking the Coyotes lineup the past two seasons? He's played 9 games in the last two years...

Is there honestly something I'm missing on this guy? Whats Gillis' inside track, if he does think Perrault is good enough?

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:30 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvari View Post
Why are people freaking out? This is pretty great news imo.

Settle down. We don't need to sign Mitchell or keep Bieksa, our D is just fine as it is.

Ballard, Hamhuis, Edler, Ehrhoff, Obrien, Rome, Alberts. Granted there is some disparity between the top 4 and bottom 3, but so what. We're talking about guys we can limit to 5 minutes a game if we need to.

Bieksa still needs to go, and hopefully Salo is on LTIR long enough where we get a significant cap advantage out of it so we can make trade deadline moves if we need to.

This is a good thing! It gives us some real cap flexibility to fill holes unforeseen in the offseason.
Good first post, welcome!

Old
07-23-2010, 01:31 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Has Perrault changed his game since last season? Is he on a knew workout regimen? I can't honestly believe this guy is our answer to the fourth line when he had trouble cracking the Coyotes lineup the past two seasons? He's played 9 games in the last two years...

Is there honestly something I'm missing on this guy? Whats Gillis' inside track, if he does think Perrault is good enough?
Uh oh the grit police just showed up.

I think Gillis' inside track might be having professional scouts, who tell him if he should sign someone or not.

Old
07-23-2010, 01:32 PM
Flash Walken

Until a doctor or a team comes out and declares Mitchell healthy, I think it should be assumed that he isn't.

Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:32 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
All Gillis said about him is "he has a chance to make the team". When Gillis says that, it usually ends up meaning he's a longshot.

Besides, the Moose need a top line centre and the fact the Canucks have signed no one else to fill that role suggests Perreault is Moose bound.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:34 PM
DreamCatcher*

Bieksa will still be traded due to cap complications and Salo will eventually return. It seems more likely that one of our prospects will have to step up during camp to fill into this minutes and I'm banking on Lee Sweatt to do that. Sweatt was signed to a one-way contract and he has his sights set on making the NHL, he's also a RHS which Canucks would desperately need if Bieksa is traded/Salo injured.

DreamCatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:34 PM
xtr3m

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvari View Post
hopefully Salo is on LTIR long enough where we get a significant cap advantage out of it so we can make trade deadline moves if we need to.
Not again...

It doesn't accumulate. LTIR only allows the team to exceed the cap on emergency basis, until the player comes back.

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:35 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Uh oh the grit police just showed up.
More like the reading comprehension police are showing up....now.

Where did you read anything about grit in my post? You must have a rather large problem bordering obsession if you have to respond to an unrelated post in such a fashion. I was genuinely being inquisitive as to why you, or Gillis thinks this guy can pull a regular shift in the NHL.

Do you know anything about this guy? Seen him play?

Please, help me out, I'm just curious thats all.

Quote:
I think Gillis' inside track might be having professional scouts, who tell him if he should sign someone or not.
Rrrrrrrrright. Those scouts haven't been wrong in the past.

You're right, discussion not needed, close the boards.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote