HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shea Weber named captain!!!

View Poll Results: Who's the captain?
Shea Weber 38 48.10%
Ryan Suter 16 20.25%
Steve Sullivan 11 13.92%
David Legwand 9 11.39%
Jerred Smithson 2 2.53%
Other 3 3.80%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-14-2010, 05:33 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
One day Shea Weber pulled up in a car and told me to get in.

We drove to the middle of nowhere, pulled over, and waited for 6 years. Eventually a town sprung up and a bar was built.

She Weber bought me a beer, burned the bar down, and then drove me home.

Shea Weber always leaves things the way that he found them.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 01:05 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

vCash: 500
Old Spice is really Shea Weber's sweat captured for normal mortals to feel 1% Weber like.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 07:24 PM
dulzhok

Now sign an extension? We can only hope. Very strong possibility he is over-sheeted next offseason. Even with 4 first rd picks as compensation-- especially for a good team that would likely be picking late in 1st rd

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 07:42 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Now sign an extension? We can only hope. Very strong possibility he is over-sheeted next offseason. Even with 4 first rd picks as compensation-- especially for a good team that would likely be picking late in 1st rd
I doubt it gets that far. Weber and Suter are the guys that Poile has been waiting to sign...homegrown star players, leaders on and off the ice, community figures, Olympic main-stays.

Poile will not let Weber get to offer sheet territory...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 07:46 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I doubt it gets that far. Weber and Suter are the guys that Poile has been waiting to sign...homegrown star players, leaders on and off the ice, community figures, Olympic main-stays.

Poile will not let Weber get to offer sheet territory...
If he wants 7-8m a year, do we sign him?

Old
07-18-2010, 08:29 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
I think Poile would jump at that opportunity if we could structure it like this:

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=252

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 06:36 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
I said the day that Duncan Keith signed his deal that Chicago did us a HUGE favor. He's the closest comparable Weber and his agent will have to reference. If we can get Shea signed to a LONG deal...creatively spreading the money out as necessary, for an average of 6.5 or so...I think we'll be thrilled. Keith winning the Norris this year is just icing on the cake. It takes Weber's agent's ability to say, "well, he's arguably better than Keith" since they're more or less equal defensively, Keith puts up better numbers offensively, and already has two significant pieces of hardware to his name. The only thing that could severely fudge this is up is if the Kings pay Doughty some absurd amount, or if the Blackhawks pay Seabrook more than Keith, which I don't think they will.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 06:48 AM
dulzhok

It's wishful thinking that Weber will take a deal like Kieth. It's picking the most financially friendly contract as a comparable. It's possible, but just wishful thinking at this point.

Phaneuf- 6.5. Chara- 7.5. Cambell-7.1. Redden- 6.5. Jaybo- 6.7.

I have little doubt Weber would fetch 7-8 millon on the open market (barring a horrible year next year). So the same Q-- If Weber wants 7-8m, do we give it to him?

Old
07-19-2010, 06:59 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
It's wishful thinking that Weber will take a deal like Kieth. It's picking the most financially friendly contract as a comparable. It's possible, but just wishful thinking at this point.

I have little doubt Weber would fetch 7-8 millon on the open market (barring a horrible year next year). So the same Q-- If Weber wants 7-8m, do we give it to him?
Phaneuf and MAYBE J-Bo are the only true comparables though. It doesn't just work like, "well, Chara makes 7.5 and Campbell makes 7.1...so I should too." Age and past accomplishment play huge into it...and Chara was 32 and was already a Norris finalist more than once. Poile said in a radio interview not too long ago, in regard to Hornqvist\contract negotiations in general, that GMs and agents typically model the general framework(assuming they're not miles apart) on an already-signed player that is MOST LIKE the player being negotiated, both in production and general age\role. Duncan Keith\Dion Phaneuf are a lot closer to the template for Weber than Brian Campbell or Wade Redden.

With all that said, Poile also stated that they were already talking to Weber about an extension, and Weber himself said that he was sure it wouldn't be a problem for either side. Weber wants to be here...the captaincy doesn't hurt...and Poile realizes as he has all along that we're talking about the face of our franchise. Even if it takes 7 million per(I don't think it will take that much, at least in average\cap hit, but just for argument's sake), I think we'd do that.

Keep in mind also...with the new CBA coming up, owners are playing it a little more conservatively. Everyone was sure, when Kovalchuk was turning down 10 mil\season from Atlanta, that it would pay off for him because 20 teams would give that to him. How's that working out now? I'm not sure that Weber would "easily" get 8 million dollars on the open market as you are, and I think the Kovalchuk situation speaks to that, or should at least make agents\players leery or being so confident that the open market is always the best solution.

Old
07-19-2010, 07:11 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:

Weber has all but stated outright that he will give a hometown discount. he has basically stated that he has no doubt that a deal will get done, and he knows the state of the preds finances. it wont shock me at all if Weber signs a Keith type deal.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:14 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

BTN - I think all of your points are valid, but if Weber hits the market, he will get 8 million. Teams would line up for him. I still think he signs for around 6.5-7 million on a long term deal.

07-19-2010, 09:22 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
BTN - I think all of your points are valid, but if Weber hits the market, he will get 8 million. Teams would line up for him. I still think he signs for around 6.5-7 million on a long term deal.
I would have believed that as well, prior to July 1, 2010. The climate is different in the FA marketplace. Who would have thought that Kovalchuk would be unsigned, nearly 3 weeks later? People should be lining up for the guy that has scored more goals than anyone else since the lockout, and has averaged in the mid-40s every year since 2002. He believed, and Jay Grossman believed, a similar idea to what you're stating. The reality they found was something different altogether. Case in point...the team that's supposedly the closest to signing Kovalchuk is reportedly unwilling to go above 7 million a year. A far cry from the 10 million+ Atlanta was offering. Who would have thought? Not me...and you can honestly say that Weber's value as a defenseman is equal or greater than Kovalchuk's as a forward in a weak FA class?

Old
07-19-2010, 10:01 AM
glenngineer

Weber could get $8 million on the open market. It all depends on who has cap space next year. Kovy isn't signed yet because only a few teams can sign him and the two leaders for him are not going to blow their budget and risk losing their good young players. We also have to remember, Lidstrom never signed for more than $8 million a season or at least his cap hit wasn't. If we're trying to build a team like Detroit in terms of salary structure and say, no one gets more than Weber and other guys will fall in line, I think we've accomplished something. I also think if he's willing to take a little less to build a winner here, other guys may look at that and go, that's pretty cool and want to play here as well. Then again, he could hit the open market and we lose him to a team that outbids us for him.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Let me start by saying Weber is an incredible player. hes in the top 5 D men in the league, and is a true superstar.

That being said, four first rounders is a lot of compensation, not to mention saving 7 million dollars. While odds are none of these players would turn out to be Shea "Freaking" Weber, Four stars can more than compensate for one superstar, plus we could sign a scorer with the 7 million we save.

Im very torn on this issue. Letting Weber go would be a massive PR hit, but could pay some huge dividends. Weber is the face of this franchise, and I'd hate to lose him.

Im also not sure any team would sign him to an offer sheet. No one (except Burke of course) enjoys losing first rounders. It would be interesting.

Im pretty much 50/50 on this. Your opinions?

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 11:05 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I think the difference between Kovalchuk and Weber is the perception about the intangibles. Weber is a bruiser, is perceived as a golden boy, who works hard, hits hard, plays rough, and does it all on the ice. Kovalchuk is viewed as a legitimate superstar, but one who has been unable to carry a team.....who has questionable defense in some circles and questionable adaptability. I think teams would be more comfortable shelling out the money for Weber than Kovalchuk. I think both are worth the salary, and I think the market has definitely worked against Ilya. Still, I think had Weber hit the market this year, he would have signed before Ilya.....and would have gotten close to 8 a year.

Just my 2 cents...

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 11:12 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Let me start by saying Weber is an incredible player. hes in the top 5 D men in the league, and is a true superstar.

That being said, four first rounders is a lot of compensation, not to mention saving 7 million dollars. While odds are none of these players would turn out to be Shea "Freaking" Weber, Four stars can more than compensate for one superstar, plus we could sign a scorer with the 7 million we save.

Im very torn on this issue. Letting Weber go would be a massive PR hit, but could pay some huge dividends. Weber is the face of this franchise, and I'd hate to lose him.

Im also not sure any team would sign him to an offer sheet. No one (except Burke of course) enjoys losing first rounders. It would be interesting.

Im pretty much 50/50 on this. Your opinions?
While 4 1st rounders is a nice consolation prize, elite defensemen don't come along very often, especially with the skill set of Weber. He is a guy you can build a team around. Once again, not often you get guys like that. At some point, a team has to pay it's star players. Also, depending on the team that could sign Weber to an offer sheet, where those 1st rounders are going to be would play a little into it. If it's a good team that's signed him, 4 late 1st rounders isn't that great a deal since they aren't going to be high picks and/or great players right off the bat. If they are good players, we'd have to pay them at some point too so do you pay Weber, a known quantity or take a chance and hope you land someone just as good down the road?

I think people get a little too wound up about us signing a guy that can score. We don't have the one or two guys that are studs but if 7 out of the 9 top 9 guys we'll have this year score 40-50 points each, we'll be ok. We did it by committee last year and did fine. If we can tweak our PP to be a little bit better, our record should be that much better. To have a team get 100 points with special teams play as bad as it was last year was a feat in and of itself.

Also, if we were to let Weber walk, what sign does that give to the rest of the team and more to the point Suter. I think we have to keep both of them and re-signing Weber I think helps us keep Suter as well. If Weber goes, I think we'll have to pay Suter big big money or let him go too and that would be a bigger disaster, having both of them walk away.

If I'm Poile, I give Weber and Suter what they want, within reason of course, let the bottom 4 defense come thru our system, have a score by committee approach up front and hope Rinne and the other goalies coming down the pike are good as well.

Old
07-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Scoring by committee works - IF - you have a committee that can score. Last year, we did not have that. We exiled Legwand to a line with Smithson/Ward....This effectively nullified one of the committee members. In other words, he wasn't even really a part of the team offensive gameplan. Dumont lost his touch.....he was then sent to the fourth line.....another hit to the gameplan. Hornqvist stepped up, but O'Reilly/Santorelli did not. This hurt. Arnott regressed, lowering the committee's ability to score. Erat was....well Erat. Sullivan regressed. In other words, we saw a committee that was understaffed and was seeing across the board regressions. This year should be different. A regressing and injury prone Arnott has been replaced with Lombardi. The offense will probably be a little less, but Lombardi trades in that hit in offense for a much much better fit schematically. This will allow Legwand to re-enter the offensive gameplan. This is a huge deal. Sullivan/Erat will probably provide similar production to last year, and I think it is reasonable to expect a small up-tick in Sully's production. It is also reasonable to assume Erat finally re-found his groove in the last half of the season and playoffs. He could actually earn that exorbitant salary next year if he plays as well as he did down the stretch over a full season. Wilson will be a full-time contributor, and we saw what he can do if healthy.....Add another new member to the committee, one who looks primed to breakout. Hornqvist is legit. There will be no third line minutes to start the season. THere is no guessing. HE will get first line minutes and should come close to last season's numbers. Who knows if Dumont steps up his game, but even if he doesn't, we now have legitimate scoring lines with an actual committee to work with rather than 1 scoring line, 1 god knows what line (Goc/Erat/whatever player Trotz is toying with at the time), 1 defensive line, and 1 energy/banished line.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 11:46 AM
glenngineer

Enoch, I think we'll end up with 3 number 2 lines when all is said and done. Also, even strength wasn't a problem for us scoring last year, it was on the PP. If the PP can rectify itself a little bit, we will have increased scoring. We'll also have Hornqvist on the PP for the entire year as opposed to him getting time increased as the season wore on. I also think injecting Wilson into Arnott's spot will help as will Lombardi.

I think a big wild card is SK. He has the potential to do some damage if given time and the right linemates. Even if he doesn't, I think we have 8 guys that can put up some points. You also have to realize, at one point last year, Washington and us were the only teams with I think 8 guys who scored over 30 points on a team. It's not perfect by any means but we had decent punch last year. I think we just need consistency and with having that many guys that can score, it should make us more consistent as we won't have to rely on one or two guys being hot all the time. If two of three lines are always going, we should be a tough team to defend.

Old
07-23-2010, 10:21 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Weber has all but stated outright that he will give a hometown discount.
Link??

Certainly we'd all like that, but I think Poile needs to feel this out. The is a decent chance he'll want upwards of $8m.

If Cambell can get 7.1m at 32, no telling what Weber can get at 26 years old. Is he that in love with Nashville that will sacrifice upwards of 10 million over the course of the contract?

Old
07-23-2010, 12:40 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

The chairman of the team blatantly stated that management knows what Weber wants and they are comfortable giving it to him. This after saying both Weber and Suter will be re-signed. What more do you want?

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Link??

Certainly we'd all like that, but I think Poile needs to feel this out. The is a decent chance he'll want upwards of $8m.

If Cambell can get 7.1m at 32, no telling what Weber can get at 26 years old. Is he that in love with Nashville that will sacrifice upwards of 10 million over the course of the contract?
I doubt Weber will get more then 8 mill. I'm thinking something like Keith's, maybe a little less.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 09:02 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
The chairman of the team blatantly stated that management knows what Weber wants and they are comfortable giving it to him.
If it's that easy, why is the deal not done?

People keep saying he will take 5.5m like Kieth. We all hope. But he would easily fetch 7.5-8m on the open market. Will he take a 10m cut to stay with the Pred? Maybe, but I have my doubts.

Old
07-23-2010, 09:37 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
If it's that easy, why is the deal not done?

People keep saying he will take 5.5m like Kieth. We all hope. But he would easily fetch 7.5-8m on the open market. Will he take a 10m cut to stay with the Pred? Maybe, but I have my doubts.
Poile stated he hasnt started negotiations with Weber because he wants to wait until Weber is in town so it can be done face to face.

just how stubbornly pessimistic can you be? Poile has said a deal will get done... Weber has said a deal will get done, and Cigarran has said they know the "zip code" of what Weber wants and they are prepared to give it to him... Id say thats a pretty good indication that the deal will get done..

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:07 PM
glenngineer

Are there any defesnsemen making over $8 million a season? Why would Weber be the first one to make that money then? He hasn't won a Norris or Stanley Cup. If Weber wanted out of Nashville so badly he would've signed a 4 year deal that made him unrestricted at the end of his deal. I'd worry more about Suter leaving than Weber going anywhere.

Weber will be the face of the franchise. We have never really had one per se and he is the exact guy that is perfect for the role. Give Weber, Trotz, Poile and the owners some credit here for all that they've accomplished and know about one another. It speaks highly of Weber to be named the captain of a franchise that has usually hung the C on only veterans.

Old
07-24-2010, 10:16 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Poile stated he hasnt started negotiations with Weber because he wants to wait until Weber is in town so it can be done face to face.

just how stubbornly pessimistic can you be? Poile has said a deal will get done... Weber has said a deal will get done, and Cigarran has said they know the "zip code" of what Weber wants and they are prepared to give it to him... Id say thats a pretty good indication that the deal will get done..
I never said I don't think we'll get a deal done with Weber. I also never said he will get over 8 million.

I saidwe just can't assume that Weber will take the most financially friendly contract out there (Keith) as a comparable. And I asked what if Weber wants 7.5m like a Cambell or Chara, do we give it to him? I think he would get atleast 7.5 on the open market. So for him to take 5.5m, he would be giving us a discount of atleat 10 million.