HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tampa Bay / Québec connection theories

View Poll Results: How come is there so many Québec guys in Tampa
Guy Boucher has that much influence. 28 15.73%
A move to Quebec city is in the books, if not for 2011, soon. 32 17.98%
Yzerman is a Quebec lover 11 6.18%
Coincidence (ya right) 92 51.69%
Other reason 15 8.43%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2010, 10:10 AM
alexstream

vCash: 500
Tampa Bay / Québec connection theories

Ok, with ALL these guys from Quebec in Tampa Bay (more than Montreal, and we might even have to go back to the Nords to find that many people from Quebec at important positions in a NHL team), I'm still questionning the reasons behind "how / why it is happening".

Is it because Boucher has a very strong influence over Yzerman.
Is it because Yzerman loves guys from Quebec?
Is the franchise moving to Qc city soon?
what else?

Old
07-24-2010, 10:13 AM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 286
2 of the 4 players from Quebec have been on the roster since 2000 and one of the four is not a lock to make the team. Boucher was hired because he was the best coaching prospect available, just ask Columbus.

Besides, with the surge in ticket sales since Yzerman was hired it wouldn't make sense, if Vinik wanted to move the team he would try to kill the ticket base not raise it. And considering he just relocated his family here from Boston it's just an interesting coincidence.

EDIT: Since there is a poll now I would say Pouliot, Lacroix and Raymond were influenced by Boucher, Gagne was an Yzerman move.

Last edited by Going Back to Cally: 07-24-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old
07-24-2010, 10:16 AM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Patrick View Post
2 of the 4 players from Quebec have been on the roster since 2000 and Boucher was hired because he was the best coaching prospect available, just ask Columbus.
This.

Yzerman obviously has no problems with French staff and players, but I think he went and got the best guys available. It just happened that those guys were from Quebec, but I don't really see anything else.

Old
07-24-2010, 10:17 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Since RDS seems to think Pouliot and... whoever the other crappy Quebec born player are important. RDS are a joke.

Old
07-24-2010, 10:35 AM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Since RDS seems to think Pouliot and... whoever the other crappy Quebec born player are important. RDS are a joke.
As if it were really front page material... Seriously, who gives a flying **** about those Quebecois players?

Old
07-24-2010, 10:37 AM
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL View Post
As if it were really front page material... Seriously, who gives a flying **** about those Quebecois players?
Unfortunately, a lot of them do.

Old
07-24-2010, 10:41 AM
Thinkbig

Quote:
funny how on the jessiman article they write this:

Cette année-là, le Canadien avait opté pour Andrei Kostitsyn au 10e rang alors que les Bruins avaient sélectionné Patrice Bergeron en deuxième ronde.

I was like wtf LOL

Old
07-24-2010, 10:48 AM
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkbig View Post
funny how on the jessiman article they write this:

Cette année-là, le Canadien avait opté pour Andrei Kostitsyn au 10e rang alors que les Bruins avaient sélectionné Patrice Bergeron en deuxième ronde.

I was like wtf LOL

Seriously man....

Old
07-24-2010, 10:50 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
Ok, with ALL these guys from Quebec in Tampa Bay (more than Montreal, and we might even have to go back to the Nords to find that many people from Quebec at important positions in a NHL team), I'm still questionning the reasons behind "how / why it is happening".

I doubt Boucher cares about bringing Quebecers or not. And as other said, Lecav and St-Louis have been there for a long time
Quote:
Boucher was one of the best option around, and Gagne was just available. If Yzerman loved Quebecers so much, why didn't he select more of them for the Olympic team?
Quote:
I doubt it.
Quote:
what else?
Coincidence. It's not like Tampa is choke full of Quebecers either. It just that their most prominent players happen to. But the reasons are purely historical.

Old
07-24-2010, 10:57 AM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
No.

Quote:
No.

Quote:
No.

Quote:
what else?
Nothing.

Old
07-24-2010, 11:17 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Wishful thinking from the same bunch who want the Habs to be all Quebec players, all French players.

Like always, people from the press and around here jump to easy wishful conclusions, without researching it a bit.

Jeff Vinik is an american investment banker, from Boston nonetheless. If he ever wants to sell the Bolts, he would be doing this to upgrade the sale, to make a profit, but then, would Quebecor have enough to move the team, and then, it might end-up being too much.

So come on, give a rest. The core's two leaders are French Quebecers, I think that's quite enough to conclude they added other Quebecers so they could fit with the core's leaders?

Yeah, I bet that's way too far-fetched.

Old
07-24-2010, 11:29 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

I don't it's totally a coincidence. Tampa's franchise revolved for a long time around Marty and Vinny. I remember them signing Veilleux and Tanguay last year, and this year, they acquire Pouliot and Gagne, plus they hire Boucher. I do think the move to get Pouliot was in the hope that surrounding him with other French Canadians might make him feel comfortable, and it might "trigger" something. That move, I think at least, is no coincidence. Boucher... Well, calling him the best coach available is quite a stretch. What exactly has he done? Nothing THAT impressive to get hired straight out of the AHL after a single season. The "Psychological" factor, the fact that he's a motivator, a communicator, AND a French Canadian had to do with it: They have this huge contract in Vinny they are stuck with for a lot more years. They want to get him back on track. Probably the best way. As for Gagné, Tampa had the cap space to get him, they basically gave nothing in return... Great move. Nothing to do with anything, beside getting a very good player for cheap.

Do I think Yzerman has a crush on French Canadians? Not at all. I just think he's a very smart man that's trying to properly surround and make his superstars happy.

Comment you shouldn't make: Stamkos is their superstar!

Old
07-24-2010, 11:32 AM
usernam

Why did we draft/sign so many Americans? Are we moving to the US?

Old
07-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMo316 View Post
Why did we draft/sign so many Americans? Are we moving to the US?
I think you are on to something.

Kansas City Canadiens

I like the sound of that!

Old
07-24-2010, 11:34 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
No connection what-so-ever to Quebec. At all.

Yzerman brought in Boucher, because he's probably the best rookie coach out there and knows how to handle young players.

Yzerman traded for Gagne because it's a great addition to the team and he gave away not too much in return.

Yzerman signed Pouliot because... well, really I don't know, maybe a good bottom 6 player but not front page material.

But I do understand one complex. The Original Poster wants a team badly in Quebec. So badly that when he says a francophone coach brought in to lead the team and they acquire a few more francophone guys, suddenly the team has a connection to Quebec and will move there. Does it make sense? No, because none of these moves indicate that a franchise is moving anywhere.

Old
07-24-2010, 11:41 AM
habdynasty

french would rather live in Florida than Quebec i guess.....

Old
07-24-2010, 12:05 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
RDS is QUEBEC broadcaster and gives news of interest to a QUEBEC BASED AUDIENCE.

I'll bet swedish media follow swedish players with a particular interest, even the third-rate ones, and the same things apply to finnish, slovakian, russian media.

What is that so ******* hard to understand, moron?

The joke is the constant and unrelenting bashing of anything Quebec on this board.
They make it seem as though Pouliot was a great signing and will help the team. He wasn't, and he won't.

I have nothing against RDS posting news about local guys, but don't make it seem like it's important.

Old
07-24-2010, 12:06 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
I don't it's totally a coincidence. Tampa's franchise revolved for a long time around Marty and Vinny. I remember them signing Veilleux and Tanguay last year, and this year, they acquire Pouliot and Gagne, plus they hire Boucher. I do think the move to get Pouliot was in the hope that surrounding him with other French Canadians might make him feel comfortable, and it might "trigger" something. That move, I think at least, is no coincidence. Boucher... Well, calling him the best coach available is quite a stretch. What exactly has he done? Nothing THAT impressive to get hired straight out of the AHL after a single season. The "Psychological" factor, the fact that he's a motivator, a communicator, AND a French Canadian had to do with it: They have this huge contract in Vinny they are stuck with for a lot more years. They want to get him back on track. Probably the best way. As for Gagné, Tampa had the cap space to get him, they basically gave nothing in return... Great move. Nothing to do with anything, beside getting a very good player for cheap.

Do I think Yzerman has a crush on French Canadians? Not at all. I just think he's a very smart man that's trying to properly surround and make his superstars happy.

Comment you shouldn't make: Stamkos is their superstar!
If you actually want to use common sense and look for common denominators, look for McGill connections, or ex-player-coach relationships.

The assistants were with McGill with Boucher. Pouliot was ex-Rimouski, when Boucher was there.

Gagne was just cheap, theres no link. When you can dump Matt Walker and a pick for Simon Gagne, you do that deal 11 times out of 10.

Old
07-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
RDS is QUEBEC broadcaster and gives news of interest to a QUEBEC BASED AUDIENCE.

I'll bet swedish media follow swedish players with a particular interest, even the third-rate ones, and the same things apply to finnish, slovakian, russian media.

The joke is the constant and unrelenting bashing of anything Quebec on this board.
Well then, you can go back to RDS talkbacks, they will fit your "personality".

I'm French and I'm utterly tired of RDS using their soapbox to promote nationalistic pride, and the worst is that they are not doing this out of some misplaced sense of loyalty to the province and it's people, they are doing this for ratings and ratings only, they are pandering and catering to the generation of idiots who don't know why they want independance, but know they want independance, for merely a question of pride, because they sure as hell don't understand the world they live in, and the little difference it will make, and the fact that we'll lose our Canadian sovereignty way before we'll even have independance in Quebec. RDS is galvanizing this sentiment throughout the young population, the new Habs audience, and it's not a good thing. Since they are saying the things they want to hear, now it has become common for young fans to have more trust in what some moron like Bergeron says, than what someone from the Habs brass says.

Old
07-24-2010, 12:21 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

Then why did they have to mention that Bergeron was drafted in the 2nd round while we opted for A.Kost???..What does this have anything to do with the player signed by Yzerman???...
It is only another one of their rant.

I don't care that it's front page. There's very little action so pretty much every news is front page for them. But there has always been clear bias and lack of professionalism with RDS. It's not just their articles, but their news shows and habs coverage as well.

Old
07-24-2010, 01:09 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Then why did they have to mention that Bergeron was drafted in the 2nd round while we opted for A.Kost???..What does this have anything to do with the player signed by Yzerman???...
It is only another one of their rant.

I don't care that it's front page. There's very little action so pretty much every news is front page for them. But there has always been clear bias and lack of professionalism with RDS. It's not just their articles, but their news shows and habs coverage as well.
The problem with RDS and the "sheep" masses of the French speaking population is that they don't believe in a Best Player Available drafting philosophy... Instead they believe in "Best Francophone Available".

If you could choose between Mike Cammalleri and Simon Gagne... I don't doubt a lot of Quebecers would rather Gagne just because of the last name.

Old
07-24-2010, 01:20 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Rds is just trying to get ratingd and there is absolutly nothing wrong with that

You think TSN isn't biased C'mon

Old
07-24-2010, 01:25 PM
Turboflex*

TBL ---> QC fantasies are silly, they just got a new billionaire owner.

The Bolts were doing pretty well attendance wise before the ownership circus and poor management set them back for years and produced dismal seasons of lottery drafting. Those fans will come back with some reasonable on ice success. All the big french-canadian players (3) & coaches are a coincidence.

Phoenix, Florida & Atlanta are way more likely to move than TBL, the RDS.ca/PQ crew needs to get back to realty.

Last edited by Turboflex*: 07-24-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old
07-24-2010, 01:41 PM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
RDS had superstar Bruno Gervais on their front page yesterday and his opinion on Kovalchuk signing. Seriously, who effing cares about what he thinks? Even Isles fans consider him as the most useless player and the NHL.

Old
07-24-2010, 01:42 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitsky View Post
Rds is just trying to get ratingd and there is absolutly nothing wrong with that

You think TSN isn't biased C'mon
They are more professional then RDS, though.

There is a lot of homerism in the Toronto media itself, but most of it is in the papers and not on TSN it self. I recall articles in Toronto papers about Cammalleri not signing in Toronto, and the fact we drafted a Toronto-born prospect in PK Subban. Not to mention several years ago Don Cherry was constantly *****ing that Toronto didn't draft Cogliano.

Closed Thread