HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Gary Bettman doing a good Job as the NHL Commissioner??

Old
07-24-2010, 12:46 PM
ILuvLucic*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bruins248 View Post
First off all I come in Peace, I'm not trolling I already posted this on the Bruins, and Leafs Board, so I thought I would get the Option of you Habs Fans, I personally thing the Salary Cap was a great Idea. But Bettman is trying to sell Hockey to Americans moving team or giving expansions to city's that aren't really NHL markets Phoenix, Anaheim, Florida, San Jose, Nashville, Tampa Bay, Columbus. what it is doing is watering down the league. the NHL is getting as bad as the NBA. Please answer YES/NO then give a short reason why you feel that way.

Thank you for reading
Yes, he is doing an acceptable job as league commissioner.

In terms of new teams/relocation, he swung and missed with the Florida Panthers, the Atlanta Thrashers and the Phoenix Coyotes. These three franchises have had little to no success and are not filling the seats. As for the Dallas Stars, Carolina Hurricanes, Nashville Predators, Minnesota Wild and Colorado Avalanche and the Anaheim Ducks he has found some good American markets with a pretty loyal fan base. The jury is still out on the Bluejackets who could become a very successful franchise if Howson's work pays off. You can't blame the man for trying to expand his business and exploit new markets, the league could have been worse off if he would have sat on the group of teams he started off with (Tampa Bay and San Jose were not his doing by the way).

Watering down the league is not what he is doing, there is so much talent out there in the world that you can have a very competitive league with over 600 players from across the globe. Each draft, of the 7+ players each team drafts only 1-2 ever make it to the league. It's still the best of the best that are playing. The large array of players also brings more chances of potential top players and interesting story lines for marketing the game. I'd even argue that the salary cap chasing away NHL level players to other European pro hockey leagues is doing more to "water down" the level of competition.

As for the NBA comparison, the NHL will never become a joke like that league.

ILuvLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 01:40 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezia View Post
Yes, he is doing an acceptable job as league commissioner.

In terms of new teams/relocation, he swung and missed with the Florida Panthers, the Atlanta Thrashers and the Phoenix Coyotes. These three franchises have had little to no success and are not filling the seats. As for the Dallas Stars, Carolina Hurricanes, Nashville Predators, Minnesota Wild and Colorado Avalanche and the Anaheim Ducks he has found some good American markets with a pretty loyal fan base. The jury is still out on the Bluejackets who could become a very successful franchise if Howson's work pays off. You can't blame the man for trying to expand his business and exploit new markets, the league could have been worse off if he would have sat on the group of teams he started off with (Tampa Bay and San Jose were not his doing by the way).

Watering down the league is not what he is doing, there is so much talent out there in the world that you can have a very competitive league with over 600 players from across the globe. Each draft, of the 7+ players each team drafts only 1-2 ever make it to the league. It's still the best of the best that are playing. The large array of players also brings more chances of potential top players and interesting story lines for marketing the game. I'd even argue that the salary cap chasing away NHL level players to other European pro hockey leagues is doing more to "water down" the level of competition.

As for the NBA comparison, the NHL will never become a joke like that league.
The product was watered down in the mid-90s with the expansions. It was an unavoidable shortcoming of expanding the league. Thing is, we've spent more than a decade now with the same constant number of teams, and the league has become undiluted as it was in the early years of the big expansion of the 90s. I think this league has never seen as much talent. The last time it was close to that is when there were only 6 teams, and at that time, scouting wasn't what it is today.

If we keep it up at 30 teams, in 10 years from now, the competition will be feirce in the league, and there will be much less difference between the last place team and the first place team.

A new expansion will be in the works in the next 10 years.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 01:46 PM
No Team Needed

bettman has the same goal as commissioner that others have had. he wants a major tv deal. and thats suicide, hockey is too expensive to play to appeal to everyone.

canadian fans focus on nothing but the jets and nordiques, but to me, letting the minnesota north stars goto dallas but protecting the phoenix coyotes is insanity. if it was okay to see the hottest bed for american hockey go away for a couple years, why isn't it okay to see the hottest temperature? lol. who cares if there is an owner issue. if the toronto maple leafs had an ownership issue, would you ship them to portland? what about the new york rangers? to this day the wild get screwed out by having to pay much more in travel costs due to being in the northwest division. they belong in the central.

the southern expansion was a necessary risk but it was done wrong. two teams in florida in two years? ill never get over how dumb that was. a third team in california? bad move.

that all said, the salary cap makes hockey fool proof. you can complain about kovalchuk contracts all you want but at least, unlike mario lemieux's deal in pittsburgh, his contract is not going to bankrupt the team. those days are over, and thats a good thing.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 10:46 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Clearly huh? Why because you say so. Many people watched hockey under both Campbell and Ziegler and still don't like Bettman. You don't speak for everyone. Bettman has done some things well. Drastic steps to improve the game, like?
Of course, you were probably asleep the last few years (my guess is you simply don't have any hockey acumen) but Bettman is credited with removing the boring clutching and holding as well as the trap as a strategy. He is also responsible for the salary cap which has and will continue to save markets that cannot compete with NY or Chicago in revenues and we could have become like Baseball, a league where only the filthy rich has a chance of winning. By the way, even Montreal was in some trouble before the cap. Now that is something, no?

Tell me, since pretend to have a clue abut Campbell and Ziegler, what have they actually accomplish to improve the game? What have they actually done to leave a positive mark on hockey in general?

Last edited by Sargent Pepper*: 07-24-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 11:33 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
bettman has the same goal as commissioner that others have had. he wants a major tv deal. and thats suicide, hockey is too expensive to play to appeal to everyone.

canadian fans focus on nothing but the jets and nordiques, but to me, letting the minnesota north stars goto dallas but protecting the phoenix coyotes is insanity. if it was okay to see the hottest bed for american hockey go away for a couple years, why isn't it okay to see the hottest temperature? lol. who cares if there is an owner issue. if the toronto maple leafs had an ownership issue, would you ship them to portland? what about the new york rangers? to this day the wild get screwed out by having to pay much more in travel costs due to being in the northwest division. they belong in the central.

the southern expansion was a necessary risk but it was done wrong. two teams in florida in two years? ill never get over how dumb that was. a third team in california? bad move.

that all said, the salary cap makes hockey fool proof. you can complain about kovalchuk contracts all you want but at least, unlike mario lemieux's deal in pittsburgh, his contract is not going to bankrupt the team. those days are over, and thats a good thing.

The answer is without a national presences, there is no hope for a national tv contract......clear and simple. So the league will protect all peripheral markets that contributes to supports the notion of the NHL covering all the critical areas to secure a TV market in the USA (from that perspective, Minnie is low in the list from a network executive viewpoint due to a relatively low population...where Arizona is considered a large TV market). I am not saying it make sense, I am just pointing out how they are looking at it.

Old
07-24-2010, 11:47 PM
tinyzombies

Bettman sided with a faction of the owners that wanted to push the cap through. He saved the league. Bottom line. Great job in my book, otherwise Walmart and the Rangers would be buying the Cup every year. And by upholding the cap against the Devils and Kovalchuk, he continues to do the job.

Getting a TV contract is a longterm project and depends on the large media centers winning. The Chicago market just rebounded in a big way. If New York or LA were to win the Cup or play each other more often, ratings would lift. Especially if it were in the playoffs. Maybe it's time to reconsider who plays who come playoff time if they are thinking TV contract. If LA played NY or CHI in the playoffs, the ratings would hit the roof.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 03:04 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:

Why was the southern expansion necessary? What did it do? Nashville is operating the same way as what the Quebec Provincial Goverment was proposing when they wanted to buy the Nords as far as cutting cost and operating with the bear minimum for a few years. What's funny it's that the Preds are doing that in a cap World and the Nords were saying the cap was the thing that would save them.

The southern cities brought nothing to this league. Garry had stars in his eyes with no logical basis to this plan. And he fell on his face. And still the owner tolerate this con man.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 10:14 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
Of course, you were probably asleep the last few years (my guess is you simply don't have any hockey acumen) but Bettman is credited with removing the boring clutching and holding as well as the trap as a strategy. He is also responsible for the salary cap which has and will continue to save markets that cannot compete with NY or Chicago in revenues and we could have become like Baseball, a league where only the filthy rich has a chance of winning. By the way, even Montreal was in some trouble before the cap. Now that is something, no?

Tell me, since pretend to have a clue abut Campbell and Ziegler, what have they actually accomplish to improve the game? What have they actually done to leave a positive mark on hockey in general?
You mean he enforced the already existing rule book? Wow, isn't that earth shattering. Variations of the trap still exist and will never be removed. He is a smart business man for sure, but he hasn't made the game any better, at least not imo, not by a long shot.

Ziegler presided over the most exciting hockey ever.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 11:06 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

I think despite the flack that Bettman has got/gets he has done a satisfactionary job... That's not to say I wouldn't prefer a Canadian who is more hockey savvy then Bettman in his position.

Once Quebec and Winnipeg get their teams back I will be satisfied.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 12:20 PM
Mr San Diego Hab
Mosdell = Cup Champ

Quote:

Why was this a bad move?
You may think another city should have been chosen, but itís not like the Ducks franchise is struggling from a financial standpoint.

Mr San Diego Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 12:51 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bruins248* View Post
First off all I come in Peace, I'm not trolling I already posted this on the Bruins, and Leafs Board, so I thought I would get the Option of you Habs Fans,
I'm curious, why are you so interested in what different teams fans think? Why not just post this in the main forum and get everyone's opinion? Why go to each forum separately?

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 01:17 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Why was the southern expansion necessary? What did it do? Nashville is operating the same way as what the Quebec Provincial Goverment was proposing when they wanted to buy the Nords as far as cutting cost and operating with the bear minimum for a few years. What's funny it's that the Preds are doing that in a cap World and the Nords were saying the cap was the thing that would save them.

The southern cities brought nothing to this league. Garry had stars in his eyes with no logical basis to this plan. And he fell on his face. And still the owner tolerate this con man.
first of all, gary bettman is not conning the owners. bettman is the owners puppet.

second, southern expansion was necessary to see how much wayne gretzky did at growing the game of hockey in the united states. it was smart to try to facilitate the growth of the game by putting teams in non traditional markets. the problem is, they grew too fast. two teams in florida is one too many. three teams in california is one too many. nashville and phoenix should have had successful ahl clubs before trying nhl clubs. and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSDHab View Post
Why was this a bad move?
You may think another city should have been chosen, but itís not like the Ducks franchise is struggling from a financial standpoint.
they have some of the worst local tv ratings in the nhl, thats why. not this year but previous years before.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 01:30 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
You mean he enforced the already existing rule book? Wow, isn't that earth shattering. Variations of the trap still exist and will never be removed. He is a smart business man for sure, but he hasn't made the game any better, at least not imo, not by a long shot.

Ziegler presided over the most exciting hockey ever
Too funny.....is the thread not about "doing a good job"? try to stay focus on the subject, will you? Now, what has Ziegler ever done for the game? Sitting still and doing nothing does not constitute doing a good job!

Last edited by Sargent Pepper*: 07-25-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old
07-25-2010, 01:34 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Ellerection View Post
I think despite the flack that Bettman has got/gets he has done a satisfactionary job... That's not to say I wouldn't prefer a Canadian who is more hockey savvy then Bettman in his position.

Once Quebec and Winnipeg get their teams back I will be satisfied.
I think we all agree with that. However, that is purely determined by economic factors rather than a Commish sole decision (eg. Do we have a solvent owner who is willing to be engaged - We can say yes in both cases as an apparent eventual owner has been identified in both cities. Do we have an economy and a league system that can sustain hockey in those markets - now we can say yes in both cases). Do we have the proper facility to sustain an NHL team in the long run - yes in Winnipeg but it is still unsure in Quebec City, just yesterday the mayor said that a new hockey facility is contingent on getting the Winter Olympics in 2022 (as more Federal money would be available to build the 19,000+ seats arena.))

Old
07-25-2010, 01:41 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:

Not sure I follow you. It is very obvious why the league wanted two Florida teams......to create a regional rivalry. Its actually the best way to help those teams survive. It may not have panned out as well as one would like too but when those teams are wining, no one is complaining about the amount of fans in the stands (When the Panthers were winning, the facility was full every night....same for Tampa Bay). The fact that they both made some bad "hockey" decisions is not the league s fault.

With regards to California, all three teams are doing well at the gate. Why is it an issue to have 3 teams there? because of TV ratings alone? How else are you going to get the southern part of the US to accept and love Hockey as a major sport if you dont take your opportunities at showing the sport everywhere you can (and where it is actually profitable?)

Lemieux did not bankrupt his team (nor did his deal do that). It was the lack of willingness of all parties to do their share for a new facility that was the issue. The Igloo should have been closed in the 80s.....not in 2010! That building simply could not contribute enough financially for an NHL team trying to compete. I get what you are tying to say, but Lemieux is actually the savior of that city, not the one who almost took it down....

Last edited by Sargent Pepper*: 07-25-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old
07-25-2010, 02:21 PM
Mr San Diego Hab
Mosdell = Cup Champ

Quote:
first of all, gary bettman is not conning the owners. bettman is the owners puppet.

second, southern expansion was necessary to see how much wayne gretzky did at growing the game of hockey in the united states. it was smart to try to facilitate the growth of the game by putting teams in non traditional markets. the problem is, they grew too fast. two teams in florida is one too many. three teams in california is one too many. nashville and phoenix should have had successful ahl clubs before trying nhl clubs. and so on.

they have some of the worst local tv ratings in the nhl, thats why. not this year but previous years before.

and obviously not the cup yearÖSo over time, would you say the Duck following is growing?
I would, but since I live somewhat close to the area maybe itís just easier for me to notice that local sports fans are paying more attention to the Ducks.
But again, the team is solid financially so itís not like they are dragging the league down.

Mr San Diego Hab is offline   Reply With Quote