HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Tampa Bay / Québec connection theories

View Poll Results: How come is there so many Québec guys in Tampa
Guy Boucher has that much influence. 28 15.73%
A move to Quebec city is in the books, if not for 2011, soon. 32 17.98%
Yzerman is a Quebec lover 11 6.18%
Coincidence (ya right) 92 51.69%
Other reason 15 8.43%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2010, 01:47 PM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitsky View Post
Rds is just trying to get ratingd and there is absolutly nothing wrong with that

You think TSN isn't biased C'mon
Ya, that big fat Bob MacKenzie sure is biased!

Old
07-24-2010, 01:48 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Ellerection View Post
They are more professional then RDS, though.

There is a lot of homerism in the Toronto media itself, but most of it is in the papers and not on TSN it self. I recall articles in Toronto papers about Cammalleri not signing in Toronto, and the fact we drafted a Toronto-born prospect in PK Subban. Not to mention several years ago Don Cherry was constantly *****ing that Toronto didn't draft Cogliano.
OMG! Balsilie is working behind the scenes... The Hamilton Canadiens!

Molson bought the team, knowing that he'd sell it to Ballsy once he could convince Bettman to move a team close to Toronto's (and Buffalo) market.

I think you may be on to something

Old
07-24-2010, 02:27 PM
Not The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Ya, that big fat Bob MacKenzie sure is biased!
He can't be biased, he's anglo!

Only Québécois can be biased.

Apparently RDS journalists are biased everytime they praise, talk about or mention another Québécois, because we suck and noting ever can be positive.

They shouldn't have talked to Bruno Gervais, they should have spoken to the great and infallible Bob of course...

Old
07-24-2010, 02:46 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
He can't be biased, he's anglo!

Only Québécois can be biased.

Apparently RDS journalists are biased everytime they praise, talk about or mention another Québécois, because we suck and noting ever can be positive.

They shouldn't have talked to Bruno Gervais, they should have spoken to the great and infallible Bob of course...

Ahhh...so because Anglos are bias as well, it makes it okay??....is that what you're trying to say??..

I don't care about anybody's opinion of the Kovalchuk deal. Maybe if they bring some new enlightment or info, I'll be interested. But I couldn't care less what a hockey player thinks about Kovalchuk's contract.

RDS is biased and lacks professionalism. When you hire people that can't speak proper french and put them on TV, you lack professionalism.
When you hire a moron as an analyst when he acts more like a fan means you lack professionalism.
When you spread rumors around (darkest day in habs history) as if they were facts, you lack professionalism.
When you publish articles where one ''journalist'' insults the new GM of the Habs saying moronic things as usual, you lack professionalism.

If you can't admit RDS is biased and lacks professionalism then you're really are blind. I don't care if TSN has a huge boner for Toronto, it doesn't make RDS any less crappy.

Old
07-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Sergei Goldenhands
Used Registerer

vCash: 50
Quote:

There is a lot of homerism in the Toronto media itself, but most of it is in the papers and not on TSN it self. I recall articles in Toronto papers about Cammalleri not signing in Toronto, and the fact we drafted a Toronto-born prospect in PK Subban. Not to mention several years ago Don Cherry was constantly *****ing that Toronto didn't draft Cogliano.
Haven't anybody noticed that 95% of the time TSN talks about a player signing or injury on SportsCentre and show highlights of that player scoring a goal on the habs goalie or making a huge check on a habs player even if that goal was like 3 years ago??? It cracks me up everytime

Old
07-24-2010, 03:32 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkbig View Post
funny how on the jessiman article they write this:

Cette année-là, le Canadien avait opté pour Andrei Kostitsyn au 10e rang alors que les Bruins avaient sélectionné Patrice Bergeron en deuxième ronde.

I was like wtf LOL
lol wut ? Seriously ?

Tampa Bay Nordiques. Moi J'aime ca moi. Hohoho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3pto View Post
Haven't anybody noticed that 95% of the time TSN talks about a player signing or injury on SportsCentre and show highlights of that player scoring a goal on the habs goalie or making a huge check on a habs player even if that goal was like 3 years ago??? It cracks me up everytime
TSN = Toronto Sports Network.

RDS is so much crap they have to have videos of Bruno Gervais talking about Kovalchuk's contract being rejected by the league.

I don't remember what the "R" in RDS stands for, but it doesn't specify homerism. It's suppose to be a news outlet for everything sports related for French people. TSN is for people in the GTA and then they show whatever else happened around the league.

I mgiht be wrong, wouldn't be surprised, but RDS just stands for Resultate (sp?) des sports ? Essentially, sports results, no ?

Last edited by Analyzer: 07-24-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old
07-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Franky Gee

"Réseau"

the french bashing here is funny

Old
07-24-2010, 03:44 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
If you actually want to use common sense and look for common denominators, look for McGill connections, or ex-player-coach relationships.

The assistants were with McGill with Boucher. Pouliot was ex-Rimouski, when Boucher was there.

Gagne was just cheap, theres no link. When you can dump Matt Walker and a pick for Simon Gagne, you do that deal 11 times out of 10.
Did you even read my post?

As for Gagné, Tampa had the cap space to get him, they basically gave nothing in return... Great move. Nothing to do with anything, beside getting a very good player for cheap.

Old
07-24-2010, 03:53 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

And I don't get what's the big deal with RDS following what's going on with French Canadian players from HERE. This channel is basically only available here in Quebec. They try to promote the QJMHL, to help develop OUR KIDS. Is that so bad? Their families, their friends, their whole cities are watching, hoping to know what's going on with that kid they grew up next to.

TSN love having Toronto kids on the air. When Cammelleri signed with us, they had this whole "Toronto-based" interview with him on Landsberg's show. I don't watch TSN a whole lot but I'm sure they do that often.

And what's wrong with interviewing Gervais? The guy is a player, he speaks French, he's articulate... Would you rather they interview Lance Armstrong about what he thinks on the Kovalchuk contract? Maybe a lot of players declined commenting on that stuff... And of course they're going to try and get a French speaking player, because their audience is French speaking...

A lot of you guys really dig HARD to find some conspiracy/nationalistic theories or agenda behind everything RDS says or does. YES, sometimes they can be stupid about stuff. Especially when it's draft time... Yes, sometimes, they do pimp up French Canadian players, or blame the Habs for not going after certain players based on their French-Canadianism. And it's lame. But some of you are trying way too hard here, and it's starting to sound like intolerance.

Old
07-24-2010, 04:23 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
And I don't get what's the big deal with RDS following what's going on with French Canadian players from HERE. This channel is basically only available here in Quebec. They try to promote the QJMHL, to help develop OUR KIDS. Is that so bad? Their families, their friends, their whole cities are watching, hoping to know what's going on with that kid they grew up next to.

TSN love having Toronto kids on the air. When Cammelleri signed with us, they had this whole "Toronto-based" interview with him on Landsberg's show. I don't watch TSN a whole lot but I'm sure they do that often.

And what's wrong with interviewing Gervais? The guy is a player, he speaks French, he's articulate... Would you rather they interview Lance Armstrong about what he thinks on the Kovalchuk contract? Maybe a lot of players declined commenting on that stuff... And of course they're going to try and get a French speaking player, because their audience is French speaking...

A lot of you guys really dig HARD to find some conspiracy/nationalistic theories or agenda behind everything RDS says or does. YES, sometimes they can be stupid about stuff. Especially when it's draft time... Yes, sometimes, they do pimp up French Canadian players, or blame the Habs for not going after certain players based on their French-Canadianism. And it's lame. But some of you are trying way too hard here, and it's starting to sound like intolerance.
I'm not making fun of Gervais, cause he's French, I'm making fun of him cause he sucks and why the hell would you interview a player about that ? This is like TSN interviewing John Scott on what he thinks about it. I, personally think it's stupid to interview players about that, especially a player who sucks ass. Go a head and show Q games, go a head and talk about hometown players, that's good. Once they start going off on how the Canadiens need to have a team full of Quebecers and it's stupid to draft anyone else over a Franco, that's when people hate RDS and everything associated with it. Sometimes they can be worse than Don Cherry at being xenophobic. Being that idiotic automatically gives me the right to demand more players from Renfrew.

Cammalleri goes on OTR a ton.

Old
07-24-2010, 04:32 PM
vstimpy

Yeahhh.. you are both right in your view...but what about the topic again ??

Oh yeah, Tampa and the Q love !

I think I just time that at least some quebec born peoples get to climb the ladder. CMON, many peoples find (and put up studies) it`s lacking Q-born players, even coachs, in the higher levels and now that there is some, we think it should be for another reason, except that they show the skills needed ?
why not..it's July !

Old
07-25-2010, 02:18 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
They make it seem as though Pouliot was a great signing and will help the team. He wasn't, and he won't.

I have nothing against RDS posting news about local guys, but don't make it seem like it's important.
It's important to Quebecois. In fact, after getting Gagne, when they signed Pouliot, I bet most french Quebecers became excited thinking "holly **** that's awesome, the french wave is going nuts outthere".

Old
07-25-2010, 02:22 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
The problem with RDS and the "sheep" masses of the French speaking population is that they don't believe in a Best Player Available drafting philosophy... Instead they believe in "Best Francophone Available".

If you could choose between Mike Cammalleri and Simon Gagne... I don't doubt a lot of Quebecers would rather Gagne just because of the last name.
And if these guys were Italians in an Italian population it would be the same thing. We're gonna like having our boys with us. National pride, identification. Nothing wrong with that.

Old
07-25-2010, 02:24 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:

There is a lot of homerism in the Toronto media itself, but most of it is in the papers and not on TSN it self.
That's because TSN is a national network. RDS is mostly in Quebec. You serve your clients like they want to be served.

Old
07-25-2010, 02:27 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post

I've always noticed the worst proponant of this french conspiracy are anglos from Montreal. Maybe they feel surrounded or something. lol

Old
07-25-2010, 04:05 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
The problem with RDS and the "sheep" masses of the French speaking population is that they don't believe in a Best Player Available drafting philosophy... Instead they believe in "Best Francophone Available".

If you could choose between Mike Cammalleri and Simon Gagne
... I don't doubt a lot of Quebecers would rather Gagne just because of the last name.
Wrong, it's mostly about knowledge or lack thereof. For a lot of people RDS is the only source for hockey info as they don't understand english well enough to look elsewhere. Therefore they're stuck with guys like Bergeron and co... not watching hockey outside RDS, not watching/listening hockey news outside RDS either...

whatever the reason, Gagné is no scrubs it's not like it's Cammy VS Pouliot you know... and knowing all his injuries were a thing of the past (guarenteed), not only frenchies would chose Gagné over Cammy...

Old
07-25-2010, 04:06 AM
TheBuriedHab

Well I don't find having those articles on quebec born players signing or having Bruno Gervais speak is "unprofessional".
However Rds does feel unprofessional with all the bashing they do of the Canadiens in the offseasons for a network that is the habs flagship station. Like having M. Bergeron saying the habs put themselves ten years back by signing Cunneyworth as their ahl coach. Stuff like that should not be on the site.
If they hired some more level headed people I would have alot more respect for them. But its obvious they like to stir up the pot, something Tsn doesn't do so drastically like Rds.

Old
07-25-2010, 04:11 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I've always noticed the worst proponant of this french conspiracy are anglos from Montreal. Maybe they feel surrounded or something. lol

they could very well all move west of Gatineau/Hull for all I care.

seriously, when you,re born and raised in Mtl, have parents and grand parents from Mtl, do not have IRL friends outside the Mtl area (or very few)... and you're saying they when refering to Québécois, we should kick you out of the province right away.

Old
07-25-2010, 05:25 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
Ok, with ALL these guys from Quebec in Tampa Bay (more than Montreal, and we might even have to go back to the Nords to find that many people from Quebec at important positions in a NHL team), I'm still questionning the reasons behind "how / why it is happening".

Is it because Boucher has a very strong influence over Yzerman.
Is it because Yzerman loves guys from Quebec?
Is the franchise moving to Qc city soon?
what else?
In 10 years time they will all be long gone from TB. Even Yzerman and Vinnie...

Old
07-25-2010, 06:00 AM
Max Levine

It's only two players. Gagne was picked up for a year for cheap because TB could afford it. And Pouliot is the 3rd line center they needed, also acquired for cheap. Since he played for Rimouski when Boucher was assistant-coach, surely GB must have recommended him.

Oh! And that story about the Lightning moving to Quebec City?

Last edited by Max Levine: 07-25-2010 at 06:05 AM.
Old
07-25-2010, 06:29 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Wishful thinking from the same bunch who want the Habs to be all Quebec players, all French players.

Like always, people from the press and around here jump to easy wishful conclusions, without researching it a bit.

Jeff Vinik is an american investment banker, from Boston nonetheless. If he ever wants to sell the Bolts, he would be doing this to upgrade the sale, to make a profit, but then, would Quebecor have enough to move the team, and then, it might end-up being too much.

So come on, give a rest. The core's two leaders are French Quebecers, I think that's quite enough to conclude they added other Quebecers so they could fit with the core's leaders?

Yeah, I bet that's way too far-fetched.
Great post Ozz, i wished i could explain myself this way, but certain people here will label me as dicriminatory.

Old
07-25-2010, 06:31 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
And if these guys were Italians in an Italian population it would be the same thing. We're gonna like having our boys with us. National pride, identification. Nothing wrong with that.
Just to help you out in english, this would refer to a CANADIAN BOY.

Old
07-25-2010, 08:51 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkbig View Post
funny how on the jessiman article they write this:

Cette année-là, le Canadien avait opté pour Andrei Kostitsyn au 10e rang alors que les Bruins avaient sélectionné Patrice Bergeron en deuxième ronde.

I was like wtf LOL
Thats RDS for you. Hindsight 100% of the time, and always seek out the Best Francophone Available that the Habs missed.

I seriously hope that Max Pacioretty develops into a star just to shut them up about Perron.

If there was a Franco drafted after Subban in 2007 that's had moderate success to date, they'd be complaining about it...

Old
07-25-2010, 08:51 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic View Post
Just to help you out in english, this would refer to a CANADIAN BOY.
Quebecers are de-facto an ethnic nation, as acknowledged by every single Quebec political parties in the last 25 years. Quebec isn't a political nation and will probably never be, but that's a completely different concept. In the context of Kimota's post, he was obviously referencing the first definition.

I personally don't agree the habs should go out of their way to bring quebec players, but I certainly understand the strong motivation to do so, if only for marketing reasons.

Old
07-25-2010, 08:58 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Quebecers are de-facto an ethnic nation, as acknowledged by every single Quebec political parties in the last 25 years. Quebec isn't a political nation and will probably never be, but that's a completely different concept. In the context of Kimota's post, he was obviously referencing the first definition.

I personally don't agree the habs should go out of their way to bring quebec players, but I certainly understand the strong motivation to do so, if only for marketing reasons.
I am all for drafting Quebec players as long as they are best player available or they fit a specific need to our hockey club. I supported the Leblanc pick and I still do. I just absolutely despise the fact that RDS constantly uses hindsight years down the road to try to justify their agenda.

If Leblanc busts and Jordan Schroeder becomes a star will they bring that up constantly? I'd say no.

Closed Thread