HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Trade Rumours site - Need your help

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2010, 02:47 PM
ymorin007*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ymorin007*
NHL Trade Rumours site - Need your help

I’ve decided to make a site come to life and take time to work on it. Also I’ve choose to post this message here because I’m a fan of the Habs but also because I’ve been reading a lot of the post here and some of you have a great knowledge of the sport so why not start with you guys.

Goal of the site
like most of you I love reading rumours about trades but finding which have a better success rate is harder to find and that’s where my site comes in. I want to create a site where everyone can make rumours about trades. They would simply create an account and then they would choose the players and the team that the rumour relates too. That’s where the goal of my site comes in because they will be scored on the result of the rumour with a point system. That score will be a great asset to those who are on top since they could use that score to promote their own site and it will give us, the fan, a list of those who deserve our visit. So this is the goal but keep in mind it’s still just a concept and that’s where a need your help to make it happen.

How can you help
Since your help will make this site a much better user experience I will need people to brainstorm ideas, for survey analysis, define business requirements, manage different section of the site, content, testing, promotion. It won’t take too much of your time since I will prepare must of the work but I will mostly appreciate your input. To make things clear I want your honest opinion and suggestions; believe me it won’t hurt my feelings.

I will take care of the Development since I run my own Internet Company.

What’s in it for you
the site membership will be free but I will accept advertising and with that revenue I will share them with all the contributors of the site.

So if you are interested in the idea and wish to help me then please send me a PM and I will create you a user account on my google Apps to continue discussion.

Last edited by ymorin007*: 07-24-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old
07-24-2010, 03:24 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
So this site is dedicated to making fake rumors?

Old
07-24-2010, 03:25 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post

I GUESS i could program some sort of procedural generating rumour thing for the website....

Old
07-24-2010, 03:30 PM
ymorin007*

Quote:
Not really because rumors that won't happen will just get you a bad score in our point system.

Old
07-24-2010, 03:37 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymorin007 View Post
Not really because rumors that won't happen will just get you a bad score in our point system.
Oh i see so its basically a rumor mill.

Whereever you hear a rumor you post it on the site, kind of like to gather rumors everywhere.

Theres just one thing I'm wondering about, this point system, it will be pretty tough because the rumors that come out into on the net, rarely happen, so wouldn't this mean everyone gets a bad score till someone gets lucky?

Old
07-24-2010, 03:38 PM
Mue

Quote:
Theres just one thing I'm wondering about, this point system, it will be pretty tough because the rumors that come out into on the net, rarely happen, so wouldn't this mean everyone gets a bad score till someone gets lucky?
Sounds familiar.

Old
07-24-2010, 03:41 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
Sounds familiar.
Hendricks Hockey uses a similar system.

Eklund just guesses i'm almost positive by now lol

Old
07-24-2010, 03:45 PM
ymorin007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
Sounds familiar.
This system has no intention of getting those people high score point but its to get the best score point out of everyone else even if they have 10% and the rest have 4% the question is wish site will you go visit the 10% guy of the 4% guy. And they can use that against each other to get more visitors.

Old
07-24-2010, 03:50 PM
Mue

Quote:
This system has no intention of getting those people high score point but its to get the best score point out of everyone else even if they have 10% and the rest have 4% the question is wish site will you go visit the 10% guy of the 4% guy. And they can use that against each other to get more visitors.
I understand your goal.

Old
07-24-2010, 03:55 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
The last thing the internet needs is another rumor site, unless your catering to 14 year olds.

How about a fact site.

Old
07-24-2010, 04:21 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

mrinsane = 0.00%

Can't touch that.

--------

Why should we go there? Why don't you just copy & paste all the great work we do here?

Old
07-24-2010, 05:43 PM
Ginu

How is this different than hockeytraderumors?

Also, 99.9% of rumours are false according to your model because they get a bad score. How do you know that a rumour wasn't discussed but just not triggered? That doesn't mean that it's a false rumour (does this even make sense?).

Old
07-24-2010, 06:28 PM
ymorin007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post

Also, 99.9% of rumours are false according to your model because they get a bad score. How do you know that a rumour wasn't discussed but just not triggered? That doesn't mean that it's a false rumour (does this even make sense?).
From looking at this site I don't think they provide a service for users to create their own account and then by able to create rumors.

Our site will be database-driven. This will provide us with much more control over the users activities. By activities I mean creating rumors that will be tracked in our database.

To better understand what I mean lets take a simple scenario.
- Ek creates an account and log in into the member area;
- He click on the option "create a rumor";
- On that page a drop-down list of players are available to him to select.
- He choose the players and the teams they are rumored to be traded.
- Click on submit and wait.

This is where our point system will take action. The big part of this project will be to create the logic for the point system. But that's the fun of the project.

Also, 99.9% of rumours are false according to your model because they get a bad score.
Not sure I understand but I will answer you this its not about getting 100% or even 50% success rate its about getting the best score compare to the other users and its just for the fun of it. I understand that most of the time the rumors don't work but let's say for example that Ek decide to use it then he will only enter those that are from his system at E-4-5 because they give him the better chance of scoring a better score and that don't stop him from using his site to write the other rumors/gossip he heard.

In a way people that don't have any reliable sources won't be motivated to create a rumor since they know they will get bad score.

Hope this help a little bit more to understand the project.

Old
07-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Aurel Joliat

THIS is a real rumours site :

90 % of time when he post something, it will happen

Last edited by Blind Gardien: 07-26-2010 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Site rules - link removed
Old
07-25-2010, 10:18 AM
Ginu

Quote:
From looking at this site I don't think they provide a service for users to create their own account and then by able to create rumors.

Our site will be database-driven. This will provide us with much more control over the users activities. By activities I mean creating rumors that will be tracked in our database.

To better understand what I mean lets take a simple scenario.
- Ek creates an account and log in into the member area;
- He click on the option "create a rumor";
- On that page a drop-down list of players are available to him to select.
- He choose the players and the teams they are rumored to be traded.
- Click on submit and wait.

This is where our point system will take action. The big part of this project will be to create the logic for the point system. But that's the fun of the project.

Also, 99.9% of rumours are false according to your model because they get a bad score.
Not sure I understand but I will answer you this its not about getting 100% or even 50% success rate its about getting the best score compare to the other users and its just for the fun of it. I understand that most of the time the rumors don't work but let's say for example that Ek decide to use it then he will only enter those that are from his system at E-4-5 because they give him the better chance of scoring a better score and that don't stop him from using his site to write the other rumors/gossip he heard.

In a way people that don't have any reliable sources won't be motivated to create a rumor since they know they will get bad score.

Hope this help a little bit more to understand the project.
Anybody can create an account on hockeytraderumors. Seems like your idea is similar to that.

Old
07-25-2010, 12:46 PM
ymorin007*

Also some functionality that was brainstorm are:
- Rumors Alert (ex.: You want to receive emails when they are rumours about Lecavalier and the Habs, then you would select the player from the drop-down and the team and if any rumors created match this then you would get a alert);
- Search rumors by Players and/or by Teams;
- Search rumors by Users;
- Each user could add a link to their site in their profile, this would be a incentive for them to post on our site.
- Each user could add a widget to their site with the rumors they created from the site.

This is some of the ideas that was proposed.

Old
07-25-2010, 12:57 PM
icerocket

Sorry but Eklund already beat you to the market of BS rumours.

Better luck next time.

Old
07-25-2010, 12:59 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
- Rumors Alert (ex.: You want to receive emails when they are rumours about Lecavalier and the Habs, then you would select the player from the drop-down and the team and if any rumors created match this then you would get a alert); This one's okay.
- Search rumors by Players and/or by Teams; I like this.
- Search rumors by Users; I really like this.
- Each user could add a link to their site in their profile, this would be a incentive for them to post on our site. Very good, given the user has a website of his/her own.
- Each user could add a widget to their site with the rumors they created from the site. I love this idea.

Also, will each user have their own profile for the website?

Old
07-25-2010, 01:06 PM
ymorin007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
- Rumors Alert (ex.: You want to receive emails when they are rumours about Lecavalier and the Habs, then you would select the player from the drop-down and the team and if any rumors created match this then you would get a alert); This one's okay.
- Search rumors by Players and/or by Teams; I like this.
- Search rumors by Users; I really like this.
- Each user could add a link to their site in their profile, this would be a incentive for them to post on our site. Very good, given the user has a website of his/her own.
- Each user could add a widget to their site with the rumors they created from the site. I love this idea.

Also, will each user have their own profile for the website?
Yes each user that create an account will have their own profile. On that profile they will be able to track a history of all the rumors they have made and much more.

Old
07-25-2010, 01:16 PM
ymorin007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
Sorry but Eklund already beat you to the market of BS rumours.

Better luck next time.
I understand that most of the rumors will not happen but people have to not get emotional attach to the rumor and just have fun with them because if you look at those boards each time someone post a rumor then most of the time they get the most views and reply from all the post. So I think we can have a market for this type of site.

If Google would have ask you your input about creating another Search engine would you have told them "Sorry but Yahoo already beat you to the market of Search Engine." We can always do better.

Old
07-25-2010, 04:01 PM
neofury*

Quote:
I understand that most of the rumors will not happen but people have to not get emotional attach to the rumor and just have fun with them because if you look at those boards each time someone post a rumor then most of the time they get the most views and reply from all the post. So I think we can have a market for this type of site.

If Google would have ask you your input about creating another Search engine would you have told them "Sorry but Yahoo already beat you to the market of Search Engine." We can always do better.
There's a market for almost any type of site if you

A) Advertise by google
B) Do the site right.

I like your ideas and those submitted by another user above and I think a tracking system for these rumor artists could be good. For all we know Eklund has one of the better accuracies out there, it would be nice to find out exactly how accurate these people are.

Only problem I see is getting Eklund and other people to use it themselves. I think you'd be better off deligating that type of thing to users from within the community and the guy in charge of Eklund rumors will post anything Eklund writes about, that is until Eklund himself chooses to claim his site and use it. I've heard rumors out of TSN and other sports networks as well, would it include their rumors too? Because again I think it would be difficult to have the people (who are for lack of a better word) producing these rumors to get them into using the site before seeing it in action.

Or else it would be a pretty pointless site and if people don't see it in action right away they may not pay it a second visit.

Old
07-25-2010, 04:14 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
One more question ; Are you hosting with Xoopla?

Old
07-25-2010, 04:35 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
For all we know Eklund has one of the better accuracies out there, it would be nice to find out exactly how accurate these people are.

/.
From

http://hockeybuzzhogwash.com

For every 1 rumor Eklund gets correct, he gets approximately 30 incorrect (457 wrong, 15 right for 3.1%)

- He finished off 2008 calender year (exactly 1 year of our tracking) with a 2.3% accuracy rating

Old
07-25-2010, 04:44 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
From

http://hockeybuzzhogwash.com

For every 1 rumor Eklund gets correct, he gets approximately 30 incorrect (457 wrong, 15 right for 3.1%)

- He finished off 2008 calender year (exactly 1 year of our tracking) with a 2.3% accuracy rating
thats interessing and it's exactly what the OP propose but with all the rumors sites/peoples. i think it's great idea and could become popular in the hockey world. Also, It could help some unknown blogger with good source become very popular.

Old
07-25-2010, 05:10 PM
ymorin007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
thats interessing and it's exactly what the OP propose but with all the rumors sites/peoples. i think it's great idea and could become popular in the hockey world. Also, It could help some unknown blogger with good source become very popular.
That's exactly it. I want this site to give opportunities to unknown blogger to become respected and it will provide so much more visibility to their own site.

Its true that getting the top dog (HB and others) to join will be harder but if the unknown blogger come and join and they become successful I think it will attract others to join.

I want to make it a community of rumors. It will be for the fun of it and keep in mind everyone can use it you don't have to have a "insider source" you could have heard it on the radio or any other type of media and decided hummm...yah that could make sense that rumor I will "gamble" on it and create it on the site...you see where I going with that. I've read so many of your post and you have really good knowledge of the game so when Ek tells you that X player will be trade for Y guys you know if this could have the potential to happen and if you think so then go ahead and create a rumors and like Ek you don't have to tell your source if you don't want too.

Closed Thread