HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Voinov to leave for KHL if he doesn't make Kings?

Old
07-23-2010, 08:45 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

vCash: 500
I'd love for Voy'o to make the team, but I have a feeling Deslauriers will be the one making the jump over Hickey, etc.

If he does go back to play for the KHL I wish him the best of luck. No harm, no foul...

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 09:20 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I remember him saying that in an interview last year. Now if he doesn't make the team, the Kings will still have his rights for a finite period of time correct? And if he was to go to the KHL and perform well, is there a chance he could come back if there was an injury or possibly invited back to camp next year?
Same. He did say it in an interview prior. I think he would be allowed to make the move as long as the deal he signs is a one year deal, though I would really prefer him staying in the North American system. Either way, his chances of making the team aren't that bad, so I guess we will wait and see.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 11:14 PM
Scrivezina
AMart Jazz Hands!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Would suck for him, but there are a lot of defensemen in Manchester that can be used for a call up.

If Voynov comes to camp in great shape and wins the #6 job, then good for him. If not, have fun in the KHL.
Word

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 11:53 PM
no name

If he plays that card then **** him. Seriously, If he's not ready then he has to understand that.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 12:14 AM
deano

Jesus, some of you people crack me up. If this kid was North American, he would be signing his first pro contract this year. As in just leaving junior hockey. You people talk like he's paid his dues, and if he doesn't make it this year, then back to Russia. Defenseman take longer to reach their potential as has been reiterated on these boards a thousand times. If he bolts back to Russia, it's just another black mark on Russian prospects, who have been continuously hammered for their low character and selfish play/actions. It's the biggest reason why the NHL will always be the best league in the world. The players care, and will sacrifice what is needed to reach their goal. In Russia......well their national team play should show you everything you need to know about the current mind set of Russian hockey. A team of individuals.

deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 05:39 AM
zeppelin97

If the kings can get 1-2 guys per draft, thats pretty good. May be Lomardi put too much thought into the V selection. He's russian, so of course he may be allured by $$$ vs less lucrative entry level stuff.

On a side note, I'm kinda irked by Lombardi's drafting methods. He seems to be drafting by need lately. Taking Schenn over OEL when Kings needed center depth, taking Teubert over Myers cause Kings needed toughness, his comments on drafting forwards after the 1st round this year.

What if OEL ends up better than Myers?

zeppelin97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 10:40 AM
T2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano View Post
Jesus, some of you people crack me up. If this kid was North American, he would be signing his first pro contract this year. As in just leaving junior hockey. You people talk like he's paid his dues, and if he doesn't make it this year, then back to Russia. Defenseman take longer to reach their potential as has been reiterated on these boards a thousand times. If he bolts back to Russia, it's just another black mark on Russian prospects, who have been continuously hammered for their low character and selfish play/actions. It's the biggest reason why the NHL will always be the best league in the world. The players care, and will sacrifice what is needed to reach their goal. In Russia......well their national team play should show you everything you need to know about the current mind set of Russian hockey. A team of individuals.
Bingo. Voynov is a nice prospect, but he's not anything special at this point. He has put up some decent numbers in the AHL, but hasn't shown the poise and ability to get on the team's radar. Let's face it, the benchmark for a 20 year old, can't miss defense prospect is whether or not other teams' fans know about him. I doubt any of us would care about Voynov were he not LA property. Sorry Slava, you've got some more growing up to do, mentally and as a hockey player.

T2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 10:47 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
I have to agree with this. He made a commitment to stick it out and develop his game in North America. He should honor it. The Kings have put a lot of time, money, and effort into his development. He is going to get his chance in the NHL, if not with the Kings then with another team, if not this coming season, then within the next 1-3 years.

Don't be self-serving kid.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 11:22 AM
JMFJ 3

Two years without a sniff of the NHL, I'd flee for the more lucrative KHL if I had to spend another season in the AHL too.

JMFJ 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 11:52 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFJ 3 View Post
Two years without a sniff of the NHL, I'd flee for the more lucrative KHL if I had to spend another season in the AHL too.
As another poster stated if he was on a regular development path this coming season would be his first in the AHL. The Kings have handled this kid just fine. He will be making a mistake if he doesn't honor his commitment. He should at least give it another two years in Manchester before he changes direction. I am sure he is going to get a shot in the NHL at some point.

But hey, don't get what you want when you want it? Take your ball and go home, right?

Old
07-24-2010, 12:06 PM
JMFJ 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
As another poster stated if he was on a regular development path this coming season would be his first in the AHL. The Kings have handled this kid just fine. He will be making a mistake if he doesn't honor his commitment. He should at least give it another two years in Manchester before he changes direction. I am sure he is going to get a shot in the NHL at some point.

But hey, don't get what you want when you want it? Take your ball and go home, right?
It's a tough decision. Would you rather fight your way into the NHL making 65K a year, riding the bus and living in a city like Manchester ,New Hampshire? Or would you rather live like an NHL player right NOW in an inferior league? If I was Slava I'd wait another year and if things aren't starting to shape up I'd book my ticket back to Chelyabinsk.

JMFJ 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 12:07 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
He made a commitment to stick it out and develop his game in North America. He should honor it.
He said all along that he would go the KHL after two seasons in the AHL.

Quote:
well their national team play should show you everything you need to know about the current mind set of Russian hockey. A team of individuals.
I blame capitalism!

-

Again, we're not losing him. If he doesn't make the team, he'll play in the KHL for one year, and try making the NHL again next year.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 12:52 PM
deano

Quote:
It would be one thing if his development had stalled, or he just wasn't getting his chance because spots were unavailable. Voinov get's a ton of ice time in Manchester, and is used in all situations. To leave for the selfish reason of money, at such a crucial time in development, when all opportunities are being handed to you, would speak volumes of his character. Maybe you should ask yourself that question again?

Old
07-24-2010, 01:03 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
It's a tough decision. Would you rather fight your way into the NHL making 65K a year, riding the bus and living in a city like Manchester ,New Hampshire? Or would you rather live like an NHL player right NOW in an inferior league? If I was Slava I'd wait another year and if things aren't starting to shape up I'd book my ticket back to Chelyabinsk.
A little short term pain for long term gain never hurts a kid, and that's what he is, he is still a kid.

Old
07-24-2010, 01:13 PM
scramble91

Quote:
It would be one thing if his development had stalled, or he just wasn't getting his chance because spots were unavailable. Voinov get's a ton of ice time in Manchester, and is used in all situations. To leave for the selfish reason of money, at such a crucial time in development, when all opportunities are being handed to you, would speak volumes of his character. Maybe you should ask yourself that question again?
now that naive to think that 90% of professional athletes wouldnt do the same thing....

Dont give me this sacrifice, blah blah...they play the game for money..plain and simple. In most cases, if someone offers more money, they will play for them.

Its not about character..its about $$$

scramble91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 01:21 PM
socalpuck

This will be a interesting camp for the D with Voinov, Martinez, Muzzin, Martinez, Campbell all competing for 1-2 spots on the big club.
Also if Voinov does go to the KHL this may not be all that bad. He will continue to develop over there and that would free up some ice time for the other prospects in the AHL maybe even Teubert

socalpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 01:37 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalpuck View Post
This will be a interesting camp for the D with Voinov, Martinez, Muzzin, Martinez, Campbell all competing for 1-2 spots on the big club.
Also if Voinov does go to the KHL this may not be all that bad. He will continue to develop over there and that would free up some ice time for the other prospects in the AHL maybe even Teubert
Big assumption that his development will continue on the proper curve in the proper way. If Bernier can wait until he is 22 years old, why can't this kid? He isn't even 21 yet, and as has already been stated if he was on a regular North American development curve, this coming season would be his first in the AHL. People should remember that the Kings could have asked him to play a year in juniors like Loktionov did where he would have not been paid at all.

Old
07-24-2010, 01:48 PM
johnjm22

Being a 20 year old kid, living in a completely different country, trying to deal with the language barrier can't be easy. I can't blame him for wanting to go to his homeland for a year.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 02:26 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Big assumption that his development will continue on the proper curve in the proper way. If Bernier can wait until he is 22 years old, why can't this kid? He isn't even 21 yet, and as has already been stated if he was on a regular North American development curve, this coming season would be his first in the AHL. People should remember that the Kings could have asked him to play a year in juniors like Loktionov did where he would have not been paid at all.
So? Why is this kid wrong for wanting to go some place where he makes more money and is closer to home? What's to say that Bernier wouldn't go back to Canada if he was offered say $500,000 for a year if he faced playing another year in the minors next year?

It seems like people are calling him selfish here. To want to do what's best for yourself is fine, as another poster said, it's not like almost all players don't play for money. What if he signs for one more year at 65K in Manchester and then suffers a bad injury and isn't the same. He'd regret not signing in Russia maybe for the rest of his life.

We all have to pay the bills, and it's not like he's made millions already, so to jump at the money, and be closer to home, easy decision in my books.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 02:47 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

An intended trip to the KHL tells me the NHL is not his only priority and that is unfortunate. It is partially a character issue and partly financial. A player with his skill set (I am higher on him than any other defensive prospect we have) should be patient and pay his dues. He is not dominating the AHL. He isn't in a situation akin to Bernier where he has nothing left to prove there.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 03:00 PM
deano

Quote:
Originally Posted by scramble91 View Post
now that naive to think that 90% of professional athletes wouldnt do the same thing....

Dont give me this sacrifice, blah blah...they play the game for money..plain and simple. In most cases, if someone offers more money, they will play for them.

Its not about character..its about $$$
Of course it's about character. If your goal is to play in the NHL, and you are this close, you sacrifice and put the work in to get there. If you mostly care about making a few extra dollars in the short term, then by all means, give up your "dream" and go play for pay. Maybe we just live in a generation of low character people who would sacrifice their ideals for a big screen tv and an over priced vehicle. It's not always about the money for everyone, but by your argument, I must assume that it is for you.

Old
07-24-2010, 03:17 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
An intended trip to the KHL tells me the NHL is not his only priority and that is unfortunate. It is partially a character issue and partly financial. A player with his skill set (I am higher on him than any other defensive prospect we have) should be patient and pay his dues. He is not dominating the AHL. He isn't in a situation akin to Bernier where he has nothing left to prove there.
This is pretty much all that remains to be said on the subject.

The post regarding him being in a foreign country, with a language barrier, so maybe he should run home to mama for a year...

If not now then when does he become acclimated to North America? Maybe the Kings made a mistake by not forcing him to play junior hockey for a year so he could be around kids his own age. Oops, did I just say Lombardi might have made another mistake?

Old
07-24-2010, 03:18 PM
T2M

Quote:
Of course it's about character. If your goal is to play in the NHL, and you are this close, you sacrifice and put the work in to get there. If you mostly care about making a few extra dollars in the short term, then by all means, give up your "dream" and go play for pay. Maybe we just live in a generation of low character people who would sacrifice their ideals for a big screen tv and an over priced vehicle. It's not always about the money for everyone, but by your argument, I must assume that it is for you.
I think the reasonable question in all of this is just how close is Voynov from making the NHL? I mean, really, when we look at the depth chart he's still got a ways to go--and that's barring trades. I don't blame him for taking the money. As a hockey player he's got maybe 15 more years to make his living at this game before he has to transition to something else when he has no skills other than hitting a piece of rubber with a stick. The KHL offers an awful lot of money and if you don't think you'll make it to the NHL then why not? All this paying your dues stuff... I don't know how many of us wouldn't have taken the easy job that paid millions of dollars at 20 instead of holding out and hoping for a chance at a more prestigious (but by no means better paying) job. That's what Voynov's up against, and just because we're Kings fans doesn't mean that the team is anything more than an employer to him. He doesn't share our sense of sacrifice.

T2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:

I blame our parents.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 03:24 PM
KingPuckChoo

hey ive noticed something very twilight zoney

Deslauriers; born: 02-22-1991
Garrett Roe; born: 02-22-1988
Juraj Mikus; born: 02-22-1987

im afraid...

KingPuckChoo is offline   Reply With Quote