HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Marc Pouliot signs with Lightning

Closed Thread

Old
07-23-2010, 05:21 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

vCash: 500
Marc Pouliot signs with Lightning

DC reported via his blog, and confirmed by EE on twitter, that the Lightning have just signed forward Marc-Antoine Pouliot on a 1-year, 2-way deal.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightn...ntoine-pouliot

Sorry about the thread deletion. I was trolling the Marty thread about 10 minutes before this news broke, and that post got moved mistakenly into this topic, and first chronologically, so when I went to delete it...I accidentally the whole thread.

Old
07-23-2010, 05:26 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

I was wondering where he'd land.

For those wondering: Big, skates well, great passer but has never blossomed offensively in the NHL. He's decent defensively and can kill penalties but isn't a world beater at either. Then again, players usually develop that as they get older and he's only 25.

Frustrating to us because he was a first round pick in a loaded draft, but you probably won't have those expectations so he should be a fine 4th liner or a great call-up.

Was let go because he wasn't the ideal bottom-six guy in Edmonton. We wanted grit and heart. Not so much actual playing ability.

Old
07-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post

For those wondering: Big, skates well, great passer but has never blossomed offensively in the NHL. He's decent defensively and can kill penalties but isn't a world beater at either. Then again, players usually develop that as they get older and he's only 25.

Frustrating to us because he was a first round pick in a loaded draft, but you probably won't have those expectations so he should be a fine 4th liner or a great call-up.

Was let go because he wasn't the ideal bottom-six guy in Edmonton. We wanted grit and heart.
LAAAAAAMMMMMMEEEEEEE

Old
07-23-2010, 07:12 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

He was with Rimouski when Guy Boucher was coaching there.

Looks like a similar situation with Purcell. Semi-young player with good hands, that put up good numbers in juniors and the AHL, but just can't stick around in the NHL. Mable a change of scenery will be helpful.

Last edited by TheDaysOf 04: 07-23-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old
07-23-2010, 07:41 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Pouliot is clearly an NHL player and should do well in Tampa.

He has had terrible luck in Edmonton in that he always seems to miss the start of the season due to injuries and things. He always joined us midway through and I always liked his game.

Oiler fans always were on his case but that is due to the fact that we passed up on some great players to draft him in 03.

He isn't physical but is pretty decent at everything else.

Give him some decent linemates and icetime, and you have a 40+ point player who can also play in his own end.

Old
07-23-2010, 11:03 PM
Alaix
I believe.

vCash: 883
I wish the Lightning would move to Quebec city lol!

Another player from Quebec in your team. Incredible

Old
07-23-2010, 11:15 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
I think this is a good signing for the Lightning. I wish he could play on the 4th line. He definetly has what it takes to play in the NHL full-time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaix View Post
I wish the Lightning would move to Quebec city lol!

Another player from Quebec in your team. Incredible
another jealous fan?

Old
07-24-2010, 12:11 AM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

A reclamation project, that right up the Wings' alley. I'm not surprised to see Yzerman give the guy a shot. Guys like this have their NHL careers flash before their eyes and will play like they know how much it means to be a part of this league. Those are the types of players championship teams need; young, hungry, and grateful to be playing hockey.

Of course, I'm just assuming he falls along those lines, hopefully he does.

Old
07-24-2010, 12:25 AM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140

I think that he is VERY underrated defensively and can become a very solid two-way 3rd line center.

Yzerman is doing an amazing job of getting the right players for short team deals.Gagne, Kubina, Clark, Pouliot all have got 1 or 2 year deals...which gives the team options later on. I also hear you guys might get Asham which would be a great pickup.

Possible lines:
Gagne - Lecavalier - Malone
Downie - Stamkos - St.Louis
Carter - Pouliot - Asham
Szczechura - Thompson - Purcell

Hedman - Ohlund
Kubina - Clark
Wishart - Lundin

Ellis
Smith

This actually looks like an NHL team! Last season you guys were very thin at forward. But with Gagne and some of these other additions, it might be a decent group!

Thoughts on my lineup projections? Can A.Carter make the team finally?

Old
07-24-2010, 03:21 AM
garmonbozia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
I think that he is VERY underrated defensively and can become a very solid two-way 3rd line center.

Yzerman is doing an amazing job of getting the right players for short team deals.Gagne, Kubina, Clark, Pouliot all have got 1 or 2 year deals...which gives the team options later on. I also hear you guys might get Asham which would be a great pickup.

Possible lines:
Gagne - Lecavalier - Malone
Downie - Stamkos - St.Louis
Carter - Pouliot - Asham
Szczechura - Thompson - Purcell

Hedman - Ohlund
Kubina - Clark
Wishart - Lundin

Ellis
Smith

This actually looks like an NHL team! Last season you guys were very thin at forward. But with Gagne and some of these other additions, it might be a decent group!

Thoughts on my lineup projections? Can A.Carter make the team finally?

I don't think Anson Carter has played professional hockey in a few years and isn't currently projected to play for the Lightning next year.

Did you mean Carter Ashton? If so, there are jobs that could be won by him or other prospects dependant on how training camp goes, but, it is FAR far more likely that he returns to the WHL for another season.

Old
07-24-2010, 05:54 AM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140

yes, I meant Carter Ashton.

why was it in last season's camp everyone said he ALMOST made the team and now, a year later, he is most likely going back to Whl? that makes no sense to me...

Old
07-24-2010, 06:36 AM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
yes, I meant Carter Ashton.

why was it in last season's camp everyone said he ALMOST made the team and now, a year later, he is most likely going back to Whl? that makes no sense to me...
Yzerman is preaching patience. Thats why this Pouliot siging makes so much sense, it buys time for our youngings to actually develop. The closest forward wise to make the team is Tyrell, and I honestly think he will start off in Norfolk as well. Pretty much every prospect we get from here on out will probably see time in the AHL before the NHL. Which is a very good thing.

The jump from Juniors to the NHL is so huge that you never want to rush the kids and have a chance of them being overwhelmed. The only prospect that seems to have an actual roster spot this season seems to be Wishart and even he will have ot battle it out with someone. Unless Ashton completely Wows us, hes still a couple of years away.

Old
07-24-2010, 07:25 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

I don't see Pouliot playing 3rd line center regularly. That's a spot that still needs to be filled IMO.

Downie-Stamkos-St.Louis
Gagne-Lecavalier-Malone
Purcell-xxxxxxxx-Pouliot
Szczechura-Thompson-xxxxx

Needless to say, if we sign any more forwards, somebody we've generally considered a lock for opening night (Harju, Persson, and to decreasing degrees Wright, Jones, Tyrell and/or Ashton) probably isn't going to be there.

I'm also not totally sold on the notion that Purcell is a lock to make the team either. (although I'm not saying he's the one that won't make the cut) The qualifying statement we've always used to describe him was that he wasn't the best player, but he played okay with Vinny. Well, now we have Gagne. Where does that leave Teddy? What does that say about GMSY's confidence in him?

He did score 9 points in 19 games, but then again he only scored 9 points in 19 games, playing on a line with Vinny Lecavalier. Kings fans said he sucked when we got him. There's got to be a reason for that.

Kings fans are expecting a winner soon, we weren't.

Purcell is on a one-way deal, (one-year) so that gives me some confidence, but it doesn't make it a sure thing. That's the deal he got last year in LA too.

I'm thinking some of the Purcell love comes from the same place as the admiration of Lundin. A relative bright spot in a bad string of seasons. Overachieving low expectations is being interpreted as being a top end talent.

That being said, Lundin > Purcell

Last edited by Felonious Python: 07-24-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old
07-24-2010, 08:24 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Downie-Stamkos-St.Louis
Gagne-Lecavalier-Malone
Purcell-Persson-Pouliot
Szczechura-Thompson-Harju

This team is softest in NHL.

Old
07-24-2010, 08:54 AM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post

Was let go because he wasn't the ideal bottom-six guy in Edmonton. We wanted grit and heart. Not so much actual playing ability.
I didn't see a lot of the guy but he seems like a player that can't finish well enough to play the top 6 and isn't interested in doing what is needed from a bottom 6 role.

Alex Giroux- type?

Old
07-24-2010, 11:35 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Downie-Stamkos-St.Louis
Gagne-Lecavalier-Malone
Purcell-Persson-Pouliot

Go piss and moan elsewhere, nobody gives a damn about these posts.

Old
07-24-2010, 02:18 PM
CSampson

Quote:
Downie-Stamkos-St.Louis
Gagne-Lecavalier-Malone
Purcell-Persson-Pouliot

You've seen this team play??

Lucky.

Old
07-24-2010, 03:34 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

truth hurts?

Old
07-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 169
Rather be soft and talented than tough and bad. Go watch MMA or something, we are talking about hockey.

07-24-2010, 04:10 PM
Benders Lindyhop

Quote:
Downie-Stamkos-St.Louis
Gagne-Lecavalier-Malone
Purcell-Persson-Pouliot

No they really aren't. And I find it odd that a Red Wings fan is talking **** about a "soft" team. You would think that you would appreciate talent and skill over the goon factor.

Old
07-24-2010, 04:12 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Downie-Stamkos-St.Louis
Gagne-Lecavalier-Malone
Purcell-Persson-Pouliot

This is the new NHL, being tough or soft isn't a world beating difference maker anymore. Sorry.

Closed Thread