HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brock Trotter to the KHL

Old
07-24-2010, 05:44 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I'm not so sure, trotter's problem is that he plays soft. Not to say that the KHL is a completely soft league, but I just don't see how he can improve that aspect of his game there. I doubt we see him with the habs.
By NHL contract, I mean from another team. He's not NHL material, imo. Habs certainly don't need him. Just get Pierre Dagenais back, though I think he's making 4 mill in the k....

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 05:46 PM
Haberdashery

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabuseMoi View Post
*high-5*
I was going to add that we harlem knew him, but though better of it....:-)

Haberdashery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 06:59 PM
habtastic

avtsin for trotter I guess? Markov becoming Canadian threw the whole system upside down.

this is upsetting. I liked trotter from what I saw of him. A lot more than Maxwell, but I'm still expecting good things from both Maxs (actually all 3 if you could Mr. 3rd Line) down the road.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 07:02 PM
TheBuriedHab

Heh, I find this a strange move. I think he had a real good shot at the big club because he had to clear waivers to be sent down this year. Maybe the org told him to take it? who knows, too bad though.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 07:07 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
For reference, in the AHL, these are the top salaries:

http://www.capgeek.com/leaders.php?type=AHL_SALARY

Then minus taxes.
wow, I thought the top salary in the AHL was 105k.

how are these salaries possible? I can't believe Corey Locke makes a 1/4 mil

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 07:09 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

So is he coming to Habs camp and going KHL if he doesn't crack the team? After the year he had I can't see him skipping out on Habs camp to play KHL.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 07:20 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post

Yeah me too. Still, you realize guys like say sanford, who was a mentor for desjardins in the AHL got 200k, a lot for AHL but...the guy makes at least 500K as a backup in NHL, which he has experience in. To give him a deal where he'd be in the AHL, you kind of have to sweeten the deal a bit, so I get it. Even corey locke, monster AHL producer. Having a guy like this on your AHL team is huge, because if a team goes further into playoffs, prospects get more experience and all that. Having legit scorers for your prospects to play with is worth it.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 07:29 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post

That 105K is the "cap" to be except from re-entry waivers when the player is eligible for waivers, nothing to do with the maximum AHL salary you can give on a NHL contract.

habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 07:33 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Yeah me too. Still, you realize guys like say sanford, who was a mentor for desjardins in the AHL got 200k, a lot for AHL but...the guy makes at least 500K as a backup in NHL, which he has experience in. To give him a deal where he'd be in the AHL, you kind of have to sweeten the deal a bit, so I get it. Even corey locke, monster AHL producer. Having a guy like this on your AHL team is huge, because if a team goes further into playoffs, prospects get more experience and all that. Having legit scorers for your prospects to play with is worth it.
Also guys like Jankevski and Henry, big tough NHL vets who know how to take names, how to calm refs, how to change the tone of a whole bench and/or game at times are worth a much bigger salary than a guy with talent but who's murder to look after. It's not surprising that what the AHL really pays for is reliabilty, experience and ability to impact a game other than on the scoresheet.

Look at Darche. Odds are more than decent he'll be making half a mil and playing in the A at some point this year, and the Dogs will be praying he clears waivers, cause when he's in the A he's a legit impact player. In the NHL he's one less headache, and not much more.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 08:42 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
This is bizarre to me. Trotter's one of the few Habs prospects with top 6 potential, albeit as a longshot. Still, if injuries hit he was well placed to step in. The story linked by Habs I/O says he could make "up to" 250,000. So his top flight experience in the KHL isn't worth what he'd make money or experience wise if he could manage to spend 1/3-1/2 the season in the NHL, which was not an unrealistic hope for him. Not to mention the difference in standard of living, transportation, training facilities etc. I'm sure it's a step up from the AHL, but frankly it's not even a chance to pad his numbers, given the averages in the KHL.

Maybe PG told him he had no future withe the club and/or his agent said he wasn't NHL bound. Otherwise this just seems a strange choice for him. It's not like he's Russian. The whole season will spent in an alien, isolating environment. After all, how many NA guys go the KHL and later say "that was great! I'm so glad I did that."?
There's the chance he could of signed with an out clause, as perhaps he didn't like the Habs offer and wanted to use the KHL to see if he can get more money or to see if he can pressure the Habs into a one way contract. who knows, perhaps we'll hear more about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I'm not so sure, trotter's problem is that he plays soft. Not to say that the KHL is a completely soft league, but I just don't see how he can improve that aspect of his game there. I doubt we see him with the habs.
If he can improve his skating and foot speed on the bigger ice, it will help his game for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
By NHL contract, I mean from another team. He's not NHL material, imo. Habs certainly don't need him. Just get Pierre Dagenais back, though I think he's making 4 mill in the k....
We sent him a QO so we retain his NHL rights.

Quote:
It shows me that the Habs really wanted Sanford back, since they doubled his AHL salary as he made 105K last year but will get 200 this year. But i'm glad they did it, he has looked great in Hamilton for the most part, easily one of the very best goalies in the AHL.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 09:02 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
....you think a guy with 20 minutes of total NHL ice time is going to get a one-way contract.......?
I don't see where I wrote that...

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 09:04 PM
Megaforce

..proof that underpaying minor leaguers hurts the big league team...

Byron Chichester taught me that there are two types of people in this world.

1-what's he done?
2-pay the man.

Trotter falls into the second category.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 09:52 PM
Patofqc*

Good ridance, a career AHLer at best

Patofqc* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 11:04 PM
jamz

if he was 4 inches taller he could've been a good NHLer

jamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 11:13 PM
Schooner Guy

Very bizarre, if true.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 11:31 PM
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 50
Didn't expect this at all, but best of luck to him. Maybe he develops over there and becomes a better player and then he'll come back. Still... odd.

"It's going to be great. I can't wait for the crowd, the noise, the energy in the building. I can't wait to take that all away from them."
- PK Subban
M.C.G. 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 11:34 PM
Bryzga lol*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamz View Post
Great analysis.

Bryzga lol* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 02:33 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
..proof that underpaying minor leaguers hurts the big league team...

Byron Chichester taught me that there are two types of people in this world.

1-what's he done?
2-pay the man.

Trotter falls into the second category.
Ever consider overpaying minor leaguers costs...uhmm...maybe the entire franchise's ability to run without going into the red? Some minor leaguers get top dollar, some don't. Also, ever consider, if you're getting say, 60k in the AHL and have a deal of 850K in the NHL, won't you have that extra motivation to make the NHL instead of get lazy and comfortable? Really...think about consequences of throwing money around. That's the price, if you don't want to be here, don't play hockey for money. How much you suggest we give trotter anyway? nearly 300k+ to match what he'd get minus taxes in KHL?

Old
07-25-2010, 02:38 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
It shows me that the Habs really wanted Sanford back, since they doubled his AHL salary as he made 105K last year but will get 200 this year. But i'm glad they did it, he has looked great in Hamilton for the most part, easily one of the very best goalies in the AHL.
I think it's about more than that, Sanford can play games in the NHL as well, he provides legit experience should Price go down. We no longer have a Halak, so having that experience should an injury occur is very important. I'm aware we already have a backup, but look at a team like Philly...you never know and should be prepared. As you said though, he was good in AHL, worked well with desjardins, so let's keep him and help desjardins along.

Old
07-25-2010, 10:54 AM
The Price is Right

Brock Trotter signs a 250,000$ Contract With Riga Dynamo

Wow if this is ture that is pretty funny

https://twitter.com/FredPoulin98

The Price is Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 11:01 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Price is Right View Post
Wow if this is ture that is pretty funny

https://twitter.com/FredPoulin98
Already a thread dedicated to this:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=802615

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 02:13 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I guess I'll put this as a rumour until it's confirmed. Although, I don't see why anyone would make this up. I actually don't mind this that much. Since he's North American, I have confidence he'll return. The KHL is a higher level that the AHL which can help with the evolution of his game. Something tells me if this is true, it may be a mutual agreement between the Habs management and Trotter. This way Trotter, who's unlikely to make the Habs as a regular and needs to clear waivers to return to the AHL, can remain in the organization and progress.
I think this removes Trotter's contract from our maximum of 50 for 2011-12, but we retain his rights until June 30 2015.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 09:29 PM
Adam91

I don't know how people are saying this guy is/was a career AHL'er.

He's already over a PPG player in the league with 2 NHL gp at the age of 22. If its a one year deal I'm not that upset as he gets a years experience in a slightly better league then comes back next season to find a roster spot.

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 11:46 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamz View Post
We have a lot of prospects that fits into that category.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 11:54 PM
Miller Time

good for him...

he wasn't going to be ready for an NHL role this year, playing in the KHL gives him a similar level of competition that he'd get in the AHL, but at a much bigger salary.

given that foot speed/skating are areas he needs to improve, perhaps playing on the bigger ice surface will help him work on those elements.

Mark Giordano, who is now a very solid top-4 for the flames (and could even end up a solid top pairing guy in the near future) did the same thing a few seasons ago... and he had played close to 50games in the previous NHL season... flames low balled him so he walked, got paid, played a bigger role in russia than he would have had with the flames, and then came back to the NHL.

I don't know that Trotter will ever develop into a player good enough for a full time role in the NHL, but i have no problem with him going to Russia instead of riding buses in the AHL as he works to get to the NHL level.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote