HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

DeBoer's Future

Old
07-22-2010, 03:03 PM
gizmo12688

vCash: 50
DeBoer's Future

This season will determine Deboer's future with the Panthers, and I know a lot of you are hoping for the tank. If the team has another season like the last, DeBoer is gone. Is that what the majority of fans want?

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:40 PM
Gudbranson44

vCash: 500
i dont want him gone.. i want to give him a shot with a decent, motivated team. just not this year.
tallon knows he is a great coach, and even when sexton started the tanking in february, he still did whatever he could to win games. he is a winner coach, and we're happy to have him.

Big problem for the panthers have been the turnover of coaches and gms. let this guy for once settle and hand him players who cares

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:50 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisournextbure View Post
i dont want him gone.. i want to give him a shot with a decent, motivated team. just not this year.
tallon knows he is a great coach, and even when sexton started the tanking in february, he still did whatever he could to win games. he is a winner coach, and we're happy to have him.

Big problem for the panthers have been the turnover of coaches and gms. let this guy for once settle and hand him players who cares
I agree. I want him here at least until next season, where we should really see Tallon's plan take shape. Unless DeBoer really does a bad job outside of the team tanking, he should be allowed to come back the season after next.

There are tendencies in his coaching that I am not that happy with though. I would like to see him mature more as a coach, and he can do that, even if we dont make the playoffs. I just think that this turnover on head coaches needs to come to a halt for a while, as I think we currently have a very good GM/coach tandem.

pb1300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:53 PM
Laus723
Future Now

On the fence with DeBoer, plenty I don't like about the guy. I think his head is quietly on the block and Tallon will look for another Quenneville to come in.

07-22-2010, 05:03 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I think PDB becomes the sacrificial lamb this season because of an under talented roster. There just isn't a coach that is capable of doing something with this roster and PDB will be fired wrongfully so because of it, which sucks because I think he's a good coach who deserves to prove he can be here with a decent roster.

Rattrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 05:06 PM
panthersfan751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I think PDB becomes the sacrificial lamb this season because of an under talented roster. There just isn't a coach that is capable of doing something with this roster and PDB will be fired wrongfully so because of it, which sucks because I think he's a good coach who deserves to prove he can be here with a decent roster.
While he does deserve a better roster, he's made mistakes along the way. If Tallon thinks someone else would be a better coach for this team, I wouldn't be really upset to lose DeBoer.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 05:08 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
While he does deserve a better roster, he's made mistakes along the way. If Tallon thinks someone else would be a better coach for this team, I wouldn't be really upset to lose DeBoer.
I don't think he is perfect, but I happen to enjoy his coaching style and think it can be very effective with a "not ******" NHL roster.

Rattrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 05:49 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
I wouldn't be overly distraught to see him go, but I doubt a poor performance this year would be his swan song. I can't imagine Tallon and the other higher-ups expecting the playoffs, this year.

As far as the belief that DeBoer would do better with a better roster...duh? Any coach would do better with a better roster.

StrangeVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 05:56 PM
Gudbranson44

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
I wouldn't be overly distraught to see him go, but I doubt a poor performance this year would be his swan song. I can't imagine Tallon and the other higher-ups expecting the playoffs, this year.

As far as the belief that DeBoer would do better with a better roster...duh? Any coach would do better with a better roster.
not necessarily.. calgary? carolina? there are many

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 06:10 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
I like the well-spoken Pete. Better than JM's choppy english. Seriously though, unless Tallon already has 'his' guy in mind, I wouldn't want to see Pete go even if we tanked this season. I'm with others, give him that competitive roster to play with and base his job performance off of that.

About the only fault I see with Pete is keeping Hulton around. But since he did, we better see some improvement in the power play, tank roster or not. I will say that our power play towards the end of last season looked way better than it did before that.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 06:29 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
I like the well-spoken Pete. Better than JM's choppy english.
I always enjoyed hearing JM talk about the "turd" period. It was very descriptive.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
I always enjoyed hearing JM talk about the "turd" period. It was very descriptive.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 07:25 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
On the fence with DeBoer, plenty I don't like about the guy. I think his head is quietly on the block and Tallon will look for another Quenneville to come in.
Agreed. didnt like the way he hndled Boynton; didnt like him benching Tarnasky after booth 2; not sure if he is agressive enough for Tallons likings. 23 points first 20 games or im wagering his history.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 08:13 PM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Agreed. didnt like the way he hndled Boynton; didnt like him benching Tarnasky after booth 2; not sure if he is agressive enough for Tallons likings. 23 points first 20 games or im wagering his history.

I agree with this, especially the Boynton incident, I still believe it cost us a playoff spot. The big Mac nailed to the bench show was idiotic, as was the Ellerby quality time parade. I'm not in love with him. I also believe coaches aren't as important to stability as owners/GMs are. They come and go.

CatscratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 08:45 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatscratchFever View Post
I agree with this, especially the Boynton incident, I still believe it cost us a playoff spot. The big Mac nailed to the bench show was idiotic, as was the Ellerby quality time parade. I'm not in love with him. I also believe coaches aren't as important to stability as owners/GMs are. They come and go.
We don't know exactly what happened with Boynton though, I would kill for a transcript of what was said behind the scenes. Also no NHL team (or minor team) would give Mac big minutes. He is good for a fight and not much else. We need fourth liners who can be a little more productive as far as points go.
I would like to see Pete here for another two seasons at least to give him a chance with the rebuild. He did a great job in Kitchener and maybe needed a little time to adjust from coaching boys to coaching men. He also coined the "hard to play against" philosophy before Tallon got here.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 10:32 PM
KWGoon

There's two ways I'd let PDB keep his job. One, make the top 1-8 (close doesn't count). Two, after the trade deadline, if playoffs are unlikely, execute a perfectly camouflaged tank to end up at 15 and land the #1 pick.

End up in spots 9-14 = have a nice life somewhere else.

Nothing personal.

KWGoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 10:44 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

I really think DeBoer is the right coach for this team as their future brightens over the next few seasons. I don't 100% agree with every decision he's made, but I like him overall. I would hate to see him lose his job because of another poor season by a roster that even a Jack Adams Award winner may not be capable of getting to the postseason. If a better option to Tallon is available and he thinks that candidate will really make an impact on our future with re-building, I do believe he would go for it.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 10:48 PM
16Skippy

At the end of last season I would have said just give him one more year, but I don't think it's fair to expect him to deliver us playoffs with this roster.

16Skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:08 PM
Pantherfan12

I like Deboer and I want him to stay. I have my issues with him, such as benching Mac and Nasty after Booth was knocked out, as well as his mis-use of enforcer/fighters on our team. I don't like how he handled Ellerby and only giving him 2 min a game. Lastly, I don't like how he preaches "you either give 110% or you sit" and doesn't enforce it. There have been many players over the 2 seasons Deboer has been here who should've riden' pine due to poor performance, yet Deboer would reward them with top 2 line minutes.

Overall, I really have enjoyed his up-tempo style he has the team playing, and I think he really can be a great coach for our team. I also feel alittle sad for the guy because he had a pretty incredible resume and a successful career before coming to Florida. His team was always in the post season, he had a few coach-of-the-year awards and I believe the team he coached won 2 championships. I just want to see him have the same success with the Panthers.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:16 PM
panthersfan751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
I like Deboer and I want him to stay. I have my issues with him, such as benching Mac and Nasty after Booth was knocked out, as well as his mis-use of enforcer/fighters on our team. I don't like how he handled Ellerby and only giving him 2 min a game. Lastly, I don't like how he preaches "you either give 110% or you sit" and doesn't enforce it. There have been many players over the 2 seasons Deboer has been here who should've riden' pine due to poor performance, yet Deboer would reward them with top 2 line minutes.

Overall, I really have enjoyed his up-tempo style he has the team playing, and I think he really can be a great coach for our team. I also feel alittle sad for the guy because he had a pretty incredible resume and a successful career before coming to Florida. His team was always in the post season, he had a few coach-of-the-year awards and I believe the team he coached won 2 championships. I just want to see him have the same success with the Panthers.
And don't forget that DeBoer continued to play "his" players such as Campbell and Oreskovich even after they didn't warrant a lot of playing time.

DeBoer playing favorites is another thing that must stop. Thankfully those two players are gone, but I hope he actually follows through on this "accountability" he's talked about.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 04:38 PM
vektorious

I personally wouldn't mind seeing a change behind the bench if Deboer doesn't prove soon that he is the man for the job. Regardless of the roster he has made some decisions that have caused me to scratch my head and wonder what is he thinking? For me the most frustrating thing to watch was the way he handled the shoot out line up this past year.

vektorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Biggzy*

I honestly don't give a **** who's behind the bench. I'd just like to win.

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote