HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offer Sheet

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-24-2010, 11:03 PM
  #1
morgan_mtl
Registered User
 
morgan_mtl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 104
vCash: 500
Offer Sheet

Was just wondering your guys opinion of a player on the team you route for signing a offer sheet. For me I guess it would depend on the player and I understand that in the end it is a job and a buissness. I just think that if it was a player I really liked and was a fan of. It would bother me that he would be willing to play for another team by signing that offer sheet from another club then trying to work with his team to make sure he plays for the crest on the front of his jersey. Please discuss.


Last edited by morgan_mtl: 07-24-2010 at 11:18 PM.
morgan_mtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 11:07 PM
  #2
Crimson Skorpion
Moderator
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 29,991
vCash: 500
Awards:
Well, obviously it's upsetting, not only to the fan base but to the entire team as well. Not only is he accepting an offer to play for another team, based on the money they're giving him but he's also forcing the team that holds his rights to make a movie quickly and either let him go or sign him for money they may have not given him.

It's not the 70s and 80s anymore. Most players don't stick with one team their entire career. It's now all about the money, which is a shame.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 11:45 PM
  #3
MasterD
Registered User
 
MasterD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Well, obviously it's upsetting, not only to the fan base but to the entire team as well. Not only is he accepting an offer to play for another team, based on the money they're giving him but he's also forcing the team that holds his rights to make a movie quickly and either let him go or sign him for money they may have not given him.

It's not the 70s and 80s anymore. Most players don't stick with one team their entire career. It's now all about the money, which is a shame.
Then again, that's the whole workplace in today's world... I'm a nurse in a hospital's emergency room. If another hospital called me and said "hey there! We're offering 30% more salary to do the exact same thing here, wanna come?" I'd go see my boss, offer to match, and get the **** out if they don't!

The only difference I can see is if the player is actually on the team he always rooted for... then he might accept the lower price tag. Other wise, say if a Montreal born player is playing for Carolina... then I expect him to sign for the best possible deal!

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 11:51 PM
  #4
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD View Post
Then again, that's the whole workplace in today's world... I'm a nurse in a hospital's emergency room. If another hospital called me and said "hey there! We're offering 30% more salary to do the exact same thing here, wanna come?" I'd go see my boss, offer to match, and get the **** out if they don't!

The only difference I can see is if the player is actually on the team he always rooted for... then he might accept the lower price tag. Other wise, say if a Montreal born player is playing for Carolina... then I expect him to sign for the best possible deal!
You can't necessarily put yourself in the same situation, some of these players are making millions, sure an extra 10 % might get you another ferrari or a few extra rooms in that house you're building, but at some point you wouldn't be able to spend that much if you tried. Comparing lower to middle class people to sports stars isn't a viable argument, imo.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 01:01 AM
  #5
InglewoodJack
Registered User
 
InglewoodJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Châteauguay
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,792
vCash: 905
Well a player needs incentive to stay somewhere. Whether it be money, friends, lifestyle. I mean, say you're living in Montreal, you're not really close with the team, and you get an offer from San Jose, and you rather the sun and the heat. Well, Why shouldn't you take the better offer? Morals and pink-colored shades aside, life is about making the best choices for you and yourself only. Do what improves your life, not what makes others happy.

InglewoodJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 01:26 AM
  #6
Stradale
Registered User
 
Stradale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
You can't necessarily put yourself in the same situation, some of these players are making millions, sure an extra 10 % might get you another ferrari or a few extra rooms in that house you're building, but at some point you wouldn't be able to spend that much if you tried. Comparing lower to middle class people to sports stars isn't a viable argument, imo.
Its more than 10% when it comes to offer sheet.

Lets take Price as example. Let's say a desperate team signs him an offer sheet of 4M$/season for 5 years, that's around 1.5M$ more of what he may get in Montreal. It's easy to say 1.5$M, its not that "much" but after 5 years, its 7.5M$. It makes a huge difference.


It's easy for us to say, they're making so much money! They should be loyal to their team and blabla.. It's not like that anymore. Want it or not, its all about money and business. Team are no longer loyal to their players and coaches either. It's all business people, face it.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 01:47 AM
  #7
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Its more than 10% when it comes to offer sheet.

Lets take Price as example. Let's say a desperate team signs him an offer sheet of 4M$/season for 5 years, that's around 1.5M$ more of what he may get in Montreal. It's easy to say 1.5$M, its not that "much" but after 5 years, its 7.5M$. It makes a huge difference.


It's easy for us to say, they're making so much money! They should be loyal to their team and blabla.. It's not like that anymore. Want it or not, its all about money and business. Team are no longer loyal to their players and coaches either. It's all business people, face it.
Pretty much, that's his mansion in europe right there. Necessary? No, but if offered...why not?

It's like me winning lotto 50 million and being like "I only need 2 million to not work and live fairly comfortably for the rest of my life, split the other 48 million with the rest"....uhhh no. I'm taking it and doing what I want with it. Don't care if I get 20 ferraris. I played, I won(prob give some to charity but u know what i mean). Someone offers you the money, you accept if you like the deal/team situation.

It's about more than money. If say a rebuilding team signs a young d-men or young top 6 forward. It's not the same opportunity, they are basically saying "hey buddy, forget playing 3rd line minutes, here's more money and a chance to be a star. We'll give you first line minutes and you won't be the 'depth' anymore, you'll be the go to guy." Why say no?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 01:56 AM
  #8
MasterD
Registered User
 
MasterD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
You can't necessarily put yourself in the same situation, some of these players are making millions, sure an extra 10 % might get you another ferrari or a few extra rooms in that house you're building, but at some point you wouldn't be able to spend that much if you tried. Comparing lower to middle class people to sports stars isn't a viable argument, imo.
I think YOU'RE actually comparing yourself to them in the wrong way.... it's not "just 10% more", and a few millions is not something you can't spend.

I don'T know if I can explain this right, but... there's a saying that goes "the more money you have, the more money you spend", and in my opinion that is 100% true except a few people here and there. When you have millions, and you are surrounded by millionnaires, you don't buy a 200 000$ house in Deux-Montagnes like we do.

You think someone like Maxim Lapierre, who makes a little under a million a year lives in a small house and drives a 5 years old Corolla? When he has Gomez parked next to him with his Rolls Royce or whatever the hell he drives? Don't think so. And these guys have no pension plans, no salary past their retirements, etc.

Now, I an NOT saying we should pity them, of course, I am just saying that for most of these guys (remember, offer sheets are offered to RFAs, meaning guys under 27, who are generally not completely proven, otherwise they'd be signed by their respective teams to high salaries) might have a very short career, and have to get enough money to last a life time.

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 11:16 AM
  #9
ruski17
Registered User
 
ruski17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 855
vCash: 500
If I'd offer an offer sheet to anyone. It would have to be Neal, but it can and probably backfire. If we send an offer sheet before Price is signed, we can expect one for Price. Also, we can forget about trades with that team for the time being as GMs who sned out offer sheets to another team usually pisses off the other team's GM.

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 11:22 AM
  #10
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
I understand why the player signs it and don't blame the player. I don't understand why the GM does it. It isn't worth the bridges burned and until I see Edmonton winning a cup as a direct result of said offer sheet I stand by that statement.

Had they gotten Vanek I think Buffalo would probably be one of the best teams in the NHL by now and maybe even had won a cup. I think they should've let Vanek walk.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 11:30 AM
  #11
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 32,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan_mtl View Post
Was just wondering your guys opinion of a player on the team you route for signing a offer sheet. For me I guess it would depend on the player and I understand that in the end it is a job and a buissness. I just think that if it was a player I really liked and was a fan of. It would bother me that he would be willing to play for another team by signing that offer sheet from another club then trying to work with his team to make sure he plays for the crest on the front of his jersey. Please discuss.
I find it's not that great for the most part.

In order to get a player(not have the team match), you have to overpay plus you give up a lot of picks. Not really a step in the right direction. If you make a reasonable offer, it probably gets matched and you piss off the other GM for no good reason.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 11:33 AM
  #12
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
You can't necessarily put yourself in the same situation, some of these players are making millions, sure an extra 10 % might get you another ferrari or a few extra rooms in that house you're building, but at some point you wouldn't be able to spend that much if you tried. Comparing lower to middle class people to sports stars isn't a viable argument, imo.
The average NHLer has a 4 year career and probably makes like 4 million in that time.

They have a very limited career earning potential. The average NHLer cannot just live in a mansion. You'd be just as well off - if not better - if you made $150,000 your entire life.

Not a bad salary, but hardly enough to consider which extra Ferrari you want.

If I was a superstar, I might consider a hometown discount, but if I was anything 2nd line or lower, I'd take whoever gave me the most guaranteed money and the best career opportunity. If that meant signing an offer sheet, so be it.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 11:38 AM
  #13
CrAzYNiNe
Registered User
 
CrAzYNiNe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,108
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
I think offer sheets should be easier as teams are signing players to almost career long contracts.

In the NFL they have a really cool way of doing it:
If you sign a player to a offer sheet, you give the right to sign your own RFAs.

I guess in a year of week RFAs on your team, you go for someone on the other team and see what happens.

Not 100% certain, this is mainly from playing madden

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.