HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Staal resign, Willie Mitchell signing?

Old
07-24-2010, 10:30 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

vCash: 500
willie mitchell ? yellow flag on the concussion issue !

I would have preferred to see Bobby Sanguinetti get a shot, instead of throwing a contract at an established guy with brain issues.

regarding Staal, If the terms finish when he is a UFA that would be best for the player and his agent is obviously taking that position. Shorter term means another RFA negotiation...

personally I wouldn't mind seeing a 2 year deal similar to the one worked out with Brandon Dubinsky

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 12:46 AM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post

I would have preferred to see Bobby Sanguinetti get a shot, instead of throwing a contract at an established guy with brain issues.

regarding Staal, If the terms finish when he is a UFA that would be best for the player and his agent is obviously taking that position. Shorter term means another RFA negotiation...

personally I wouldn't mind seeing a 2 year deal similar to the one worked out with Brandon Dubinsky
Willie Mitchell = Shutdown, defensive defenseman

Bobby Sanguinetti = offensive defenseman

We already have an offensive guy in MDZ, who is better at that role. We need another guy who is a proven defense first, stop the other team from scoring, player.

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 06:43 AM
AJRanger

I do like how this guy takes a shot at Eklund for getting followers for 'nothing'. Pot, kettle.

Anyway, I'm not high on Mitchell, I'd rather Sather used any free $ to get some goals from somewhere.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 07:53 AM
UAGoalieGuy

I would like to see another offensive piece added to the team before the season starts. It looks like the team could be going into camp with the top 6 wingers being Prospal, Dubinsky, MZA, and Gaborik. I'm ok with that. I could see Sather looking to upgrade on Christiansen if the price is right. I see Anisimov fighting (and winning) the second line center position.

If no other offensive piece is added, and the Rangers do waive Redden (Which I think they are going to), adding a defensive d-man like Mitchell is not the worst thing in the world if the price is right. If it's around $2 million for a one year contract, the risk is worth the reward. It would bring another veteran presence on a pretty young backline. I'm not 100% sold on Gilroy at this time and I don't think that Torts is either. Run a D of:

Staal - Roszival
MDZ - Girardi
Mitchell - McD
Eminger/Gilroy

If Mitchell is better from his concussion issues (Which it more then likely would be if the Rangers offered him a contract), that's a very solid D. The pairing of Mitchell - McD is good as well, giving McD a vet presence with him and allowing him to try to be a little more offensive because of Mitchell's stay-at-home type style.

Those pairings really do help compliment one another. Staal can be a bit more offensive (And try to improve on his offensive game from last season) paired with Roszival. Same can be said for MDZ.

Again, it wouldn't be the worst signing in the world if the money was right and there were no other offensive options out there. That D more then likely would lower the shots on goal per game. That combined with the more games that a back-up like Biron can handle will mean a more rested Lundqvist towards the end of the season and hopefully for the playoffs.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 09:05 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

You could ask NYRFAN218 how much I want Mitchell. Everytime we discuss the NYR, I mention how I want to sign Mitchell. He's just a very very solid hockey player. Always been a fan of his. I'd actually feel safe if Gilroy was out there with Mitchell. His mistakes are few and far between, from what I've seen.

Ih8theislanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 09:27 AM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
If Mitchell is better from his concussion issues (Which it more then likely would be if the Rangers offered him a contract), that's a very solid D.
There's one little problem, though.

And most people who have never had a severe concussion do not comprehend it.

Once you've had a severe concussion, followed by Post Concussion Syndrome: there's a very high likelyhood that you will suffer more concussions from even marginal physical contact.

The chances for reoccuring concussions and long term concussion symptoms will vary from indvidual to individual and will often depend on the severity of the first concussion. Some never really have much of a problem. Some never have another one. But the more severe the concussion, the more fragile and more susceptible.......more vulnerable you become to future concussions and a long term syndrome.

And Mitchell's concussion seems like it was very severe. The article talks about the emotional and physical side effects and symptoms of concussions. And the emotional aspect is often over-looked. Concussions ******* you up.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 11:08 AM
xxxZENxxx

The original poster is clearly a nobody in terms of actually knowing hockey sources. Considering Mitchell is still recovering from a concussion, the Rangers are looking to lock up Staal to a 6 year deal, and Sather has been on vacation for a week... his post doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Follow me on twitter for real-time hockey news:
http://twitter.com/bszen27

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 12:11 PM
Vitto79

i am sure Sather has his cronies working on things and keeping him in the loop,,,

digging for more on Mitchell to Rangers, seems close as ever , Rangers want a physical done ,,,,,,,,,,,,dude said this recently, who knows if its true

ps Jessiman minors deal to the Hawks......did we ever get a 7th rounder or something?

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 02:17 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post
There's one little problem, though.

And most people who have never had a severe concussion do not comprehend it.

Once you've had a severe concussion, followed by Post Concussion Syndrome: there's a very high likelyhood that you will suffer more concussions from even marginal physical contact.

The chances for reoccuring concussions and long term concussion symptoms will vary from indvidual to individual and will often depend on the severity of the first concussion. Some never really have much of a problem. Some never have another one. But the more severe the concussion, the more fragile and more susceptible.......more vulnerable you become to future concussions and a long term syndrome.

And Mitchell's concussion seems like it was very severe. The article talks about the emotional and physical side effects and symptoms of concussions. And the emotional aspect is often over-looked. Concussions ******* you up.
Concussions are a lot less predictable than other injuries. Jeff Beukeboom still suffers from post concussion symptoms a full decade after his retirement. On the other hand Frank Gifford sat out a full season for the football Giants after a severe concussion but he came back and played three seasons at a Pro Bowl level. Never know with knocks on the head.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 09:47 PM
GAGLine

Quote:

A 2 year deal would be foolish. The only reason to give him a 2 year deal is to get him at a lower cap hit now, but in 2 years, we'd pay for it as he'd get much more money as an arb-eligible RFA. By signing him long term, his cap hit will be a little higher now, but the later years will be a bargain.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 09:51 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
Willie Mitchell = Shutdown, defensive defenseman

Bobby Sanguinetti = offensive defenseman

We already have an offensive guy in MDZ, who is better at that role. We need another guy who is a proven defense first, stop the other team from scoring, player.
personally I would prefer a lower paid offensive defenseman who plays the game

over an older expensive vet who has concussion issues and quite likely will not play

not sure how the cap hit will affect things either.

NY needs offense right ?

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 11:41 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quality over Quantity tells me we should sign Mitchell. I'd much rather have one open spot for competition than be in a position where we're giving two spots to either Eminger, Redden, Gilroy and/or two rookies.

Staal, Roszival, Mitchell, Girardi, MDZ, Defenseman X makes me much happier with our defense, and it probably means less wear on Lundqvist over the longhaul.

I also would imagine he'd come at a discount rate considering the quality of the defenseman pool in UFA this year and his injury history. Worst case scenario he doesn't pan out and gets thrown on LTIR and we're back to where we started. I don't see the problem.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 12:02 PM
Ola

Guys, for a D to hold his stick out towards the boards these days -- in the NHL -- have become a lot more valuble then it was some time ago.

I would definitely say that its a big factor that always needs to be considered.

And its equally important both offensively and defensively, the D to D blueline pass these days takes just isn't that dangerous after the bluelines have been moved out as far as they have. Its only really on the PP, and really more so on the 5 on 3, that a D can step in a few strides before he shoots as it gets dangerous.

Defensively its just lets the D's move the puck up ice faster.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 12:34 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
personally I would prefer a lower paid offensive defenseman who plays the game

over an older expensive vet who has concussion issues and quite likely will not play

not sure how the cap hit will affect things either.

NY needs offense right ?
Ask Hank if he would prefer having top-cover from his defensemen or if he would rather be left wide open by a rookie who hasn't proven an ability to play consistent NHL level defense...

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 12:53 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Can anyone verify this as a source? It seems to me that anyone can throw something on Twitter and everyone goes in a tizzy.
I agree. We live in a society where Twitter is considered news. Twitter is not a news source.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 01:24 PM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
I agree. We live in a society where Twitter is considered news. Twitter is not a news source.
It absolutely is when you're following legitimate sources. Plenty of legit sources in the Sports media use it as a way to quickly reach users.

ESPN, CNN, NY1, News 12, the MTA, WSJ all have contributors who tweet regularly. I follow Zipay and a bunch of other beat writers and get links/updates from Twitter all the time.

Of course going by RUShockeyFan1123678 w/ 0 followers isn't going to be legit, but don't discount it as a helpful news source.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Vitto79

lets do this along with Frolov...........resing Staal duhhhh..................sign Mitchell, waive Redden........wh's with me!?,lol

Old
07-26-2010, 09:10 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
lets do this along with Frolov...........resing Staal duhhhh..................sign Mitchell, waive Redden........wh's with me!?,lol
I am.

Resign Staal, sign Mitchell, and Waive Redden

Look for a top 2 line C, and I call this a sucessful offseason.

Prospal-Savard-Gaborik
Frolov-Anisimov-Aasen
Dubinsky-Drury-Callahan
Avery-Christensen-Prust
Boogard

Rozsival-Del Zotto
Staal-Girardi
Mitchell-McDonagh

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 09:17 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I am.

Prospal-Savard-Gaborik
Frolov-Anisimov-Aasen
Dubinsky-Drury-Callahan
Avery-Christensen-Prust
Boogard

Rozsival-Del Zotto
Staal-Girardi
Mitchell-McDonagh

perfect, if they can pull that off its a solid lineup..........did i just say that?

Old
07-26-2010, 09:20 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I am.

Prospal-Savard-Gaborik
Frolov-Anisimov-Aasen
Dubinsky-Drury-Callahan
Avery-Christensen-Prust
Boogard

Rozsival-Del Zotto
Staal-Girardi
Mitchell-McDonagh
I don't see how that fits the cap, but that's more than a "solid lineup". That's a pretty damn good one. With or without Mitchell/Savard I still see us contending from the 6-10 seeds.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 09:22 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
I don't see how that fits the cap, but that's more than a "solid lineup". That's a pretty damn good one. With or without Mitchell/Savard I still see us contending from the 6-10 seeds.
i may be wrong but say they have 9 million left and they can sign Frolov for 2.5 and Staal 4.5 so thats 7 million..............sign Mitchell for 2 million so theres the cap

send Redden down is 6.5 and replace him with Savard

do able no?

Old
07-26-2010, 09:27 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
i may be wrong but say they have 9 million left and they can sign Frolov for 2.5 and Staal 4.5 so thats 7 million..............sign Mitchell for 2 million so theres the cap

send Redden down is 6.5 and replace him with Savard

do able no?
I don't think the number is $9 million. However, Frolov for around 2.5 and Staal for around 4.5 seems to be about right. So there's your 7 million, likely covering the majority of the summer cap (even with the 10% overage).

You could obtain Savard later on when Redden's cap hit actually falls off after training camp, however, I wouldn't go that route. I just don't see Savard as improving anymore.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 09:53 PM
bscharf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
I don't think the number is $9 million. However, Frolov for around 2.5 and Staal for around 4.5 seems to be about right. So there's your 7 million, likely covering the majority of the summer cap (even with the 10% overage).

You could obtain Savard later on when Redden's cap hit actually falls off after training camp, however, I wouldn't go that route. I just don't see Savard as improving anymore.

Where are you hearing frolov for 2.5???

Im hearing 4.

bscharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 10:12 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Too bad Savard has gone on record multiple times saying he'd waive his NTC for Ottawa and Toronto. . . not New York

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 10:20 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscharf View Post
Where are you hearing frolov for 2.5???

Im hearing 4.
uhh...everywhere is saying that
check the frolov thread

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote