HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it possible to keep the big three together?

Old
07-24-2010, 08:38 PM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

vCash: 500
As for the original question, yeah they definitely can. Other teams have kept higher paid guys together before and even with budget restraints, I'm sure we can as well. You also never know what'll become of the new CBA.

Management might decide to trade one, though. It makes sense to some degree, because having three forwards this good is a major luxury, and if we were to trade one, their value may be enough to help the team out tenfold. My guess is that they'll try and keep them all together, though. Getzlaf and Perry is one of the league's best duos, and Bobby is not only on their level, but he's a major fan favorite who played a lot of hockey in California. These three are so valuable to this franchise, and if they're able to make smart decisions with the rest of the team, they won't even be tempted to deal one away.

Gibsons Finest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 09:16 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Getzlaf and Perry were so easy to re-sign, never any of this ******** that's going on with Ryan. So he goes first.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 09:35 PM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax00 View Post
Getzlaf and Perry were so easy to re-sign, never any of this ******** that's going on with Ryan. So he goes first.
Well, we don't necessarily know if they were easy to negotiate with or Burke just never did much negotiating. Getzlaf, by the looks of things, was, as he took very good value early on, but I've always found it odd that Perry got a matching contract, despite clearly being not worth as much as him. Burke also overpaid Kunitz by a fair amount, I don't imagine much negotiating was done there.

Gibsons Finest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 09:42 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Seems like I'm in the minority, but if it came down to Perry or Ryan, I'd trade Perry. Ryan can anchor a line and IMO, Perry can't. Ryan's the type of player that can anchor our second line for years to come, he just creates offense at a higher level than Perry does.

Perry's one of the best complimentary wingers in the league, but he's still a complimentary winger IMO, whereas Getzlaf and Ryan can make a line.

Put Lupul on Getzlaf's wing and I'd wager he's a 35 goal scorer over the course of a full season. Then acquire a good complimentary center like Patrick Sharp, or hope one of our center prospects develops as planned to play with Ryan.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 10:13 PM
defer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Naked View Post
Seems like I'm in the minority, but if it came down to Perry or Ryan, I'd trade Perry. Ryan can anchor a line and IMO, Perry can't. Ryan's the type of player that can anchor our second line for years to come, he just creates offense at a higher level than Perry does.

Perry's one of the best complimentary wingers in the league, but he's still a complimentary winger IMO, whereas Getzlaf and Ryan can make a line.

Put Lupul on Getzlaf's wing and I'd wager he's a 35 goal scorer over the course of a full season. Then acquire a good complimentary center like Patrick Sharp, or hope one of our center prospects develops as planned to play with Ryan.
i agree when you only take into account on-ice things. off-ice it may be different but none of us are in the locker room or in contract negotiations.

defer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 10:14 PM
kenabnrmal

I love how a player (agent) cannot even allow contract negotiations to stretch into July before he's slapped with the "me-first-attitude" tag by his previously adoring fans.

Of course, all this matters so much more to the fans than it does to the individual who actually has relationships, a career, a potential legacy, and millions upon millions of dollars. Who does he think he is letting this run this long? I mean, the fans know exactly what's best in this scenario...we read a couple of quotes from the GM and, more importantly, many many blog and message board posts from other impatient fans attempting to garner truth from the same few quotes.

I love the summertime.

To answer the question, there is probably a way to keep them together, but who knows what'll happen in the next year, let along past that. It may not make sense to keep all three. Right now I don't see any reason not to, unless Ryan becomes entirely unsignable.

kenabnrmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 10:17 PM
alx83*

Perry played without Getzlaf a lot this season and looked fantastic. His team leading points showed me he can in my opinion.

alx83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 10:27 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by defer View Post
i agree when you only take into account on-ice things. off-ice it may be different but none of us are in the locker room or in contract negotiations.
My opinion of Ryan off the ice is based on everything I've actually seen and know about the guy, which isn't much, but he's always seemed like a stand up guy with an outstanding character to me and our former GM as well. I hold no grudges against a person deciding what he thinks is best for his life. I won't make assumptions, so that's all I can go off of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alx83 View Post
Perry played without Getzlaf a lot this season and looked fantastic. His team leading points showed me he can in my opinion.
Really, we must have been watching different players. Perry disappeared for a large stretch of the season, where he had something like 3 goals in 30 games. I love Perry, he's a great player, but he's not the offensive catalyst that Ryan is.

Edit: It was 4 goals and 17 points in 27 games. I'm also fairly certain that during that time, there were many games where we were questioning Perry's overall compete level, something that doesn't happen as often with Ryan.

Last edited by Vinegar Strokes: 07-24-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 11:02 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
I would keep Perry over Ryan. I think he's better and fits the team better. He certainly fits better with Getzlaf. I think he will remain the more valuable player (but probably not as high scoring). I also think Ryan might be worth more in trade since he's shinier and newer.
I agree. Players like Perry are hard to come by and have more value to teams than guys like Ryan.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 11:11 PM
alx83*

Yeah. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, but Perry is easily one of the best if not the best players who crash the net. That's something that Ryan and even Getzlaf don't do as much.

Old
07-24-2010, 11:51 PM
Takao
kesbae

Quote:
Yeah. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, but Perry is easily one of the best if not the best players who crash the net. That's something that Ryan and even Getzlaf don't do as much.
Some of Ryans best goals come from him crashing into the net

Takao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 12:01 AM
2faded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
I agree. Players like Perry are hard to come by and have more value to teams than guys like Ryan.
Care to elaborate, because i would have to strongly disagree.

2faded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 12:27 AM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2faded View Post
Care to elaborate, because i would have to strongly disagree.
Perry is a winner, he's won at every level he's played at, something Ryan has yet to do. He's clutch in the playoffs, grittier, more willing to go to the dirty areas, better in front of the net, works harder, is better at agitating and is better defensively. He does all the little things you need to do to win. His only downfall is his consistency but Ryan isn't exactly consistent either and both disappeared for long stretches last year.

I'll take all the intangibles Perry brings over the extra 10 goals Ryan scores every year. Ryan is flashier and has more natural talent but Perry is the better player.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 12:30 AM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Perry is a winner, he's won at every level he's played at, something Ryan has yet to do. He's clutch in the playoffs, grittier, more willing to go to the dirty areas, better in front of the net, works harder, is better at agitating and is better defensively. He does all the little things you need to do to win. His only downfall is his consistency but Ryan isn't exactly consistent either and both disappeared for long stretches last year.

I'll take all the intangibles Perry brings over the extra 10 goals Ryan scores every year. Ryan is flashier and has more natural talent but Perry is the better player.
Im inclined to agree, though to be fair to Ryan he hasn't had the same opportunities to win that Perry has. And he hasn't had as much chance at the NHL-level to display some of those Perry-type intangibles and grittiness. I see Ryan has actually having more offensive "franchise-sort" of upside, but Perry's definitely a unique player.

kenabnrmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 02:00 AM
alx83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfold View Post
Some of Ryans best goals come from him crashing into the net
My bad, I meant to say in front of the net. Perry got to be the biggest ******* when it comes to agitating the goalie, but only to every other teams' fans and not us. Ryan doesn't station himself in front of the net like that.

Old
07-25-2010, 02:11 AM
Takao
kesbae

Quote:
My bad, I meant to say in front of the net. Perry got to be the biggest ******* when it comes to agitating the goalie, but only to every other teams' fans and not us. Ryan doesn't station himself in front of the net like that.
That I agree with, but mostly because when the RPG line is out there we only need Perry doing that, which means Ryan wouldn't have to. Never really saw him do it when he was with Koivu-Selanne/Sexton

Takao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 10:24 AM
getzforfighting*

Send a message via MSN to getzforfighting*
perry over ryan

getzforfighting* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 11:00 AM
defer*

Quote:

I agree with that. I think Ryan is a more natural scorer and therefore will require/demand more money also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabnrmal View Post
Im inclined to agree, though to be fair to Ryan he hasn't had the same opportunities to win that Perry has. And he hasn't had as much chance at the NHL-level to display some of those Perry-type intangibles and grittiness. I see Ryan has actually having more offensive "franchise-sort" of upside, but Perry's definitely a unique player.
I think that Ryan is newer, flashier and has more upside even though he may never reach the all around level that i think perry is at.

the only problem is that Perry cannot carry a line. I think his play style makes it so other players do not like to play him, but the truth is that if we put him on a second or third line he would not be able to play his style without getzlaf.

one more thing, everyone says that perry benefits from getz, which is true, but i think everyone fails to see how getzlaf benefits from having someone like perry playing on his line.

defer* is offline   Reply With Quote