HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Three Years Later: David Legwand's Contract

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-24-2010, 01:10 PM
  #26
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
It's not Smithson's fault, it's Trotz's fault for putting him out there with him. Legwand's production is pretty predictable depending on his linemates. If he has guys that can score, his numbers go up, if he has guys that have minimal offensive skills, the numbers go down. It was proven last year. Play with Smithson and Ward for a bulk of the year and his numbers stunk. Play with Dumont in the playoffs and his numbers were the best on the team.

Will the real David Legwand show up this year? Who knows. Will Trotz put him in a position to score points with linemates that are his equal offensively, another big question mark. Having a fourth line grinder who's best offensive move is dump and chase is not going to help anyone score goals.
So yea, leaving out that Legwand had over 50% more icetime than Smithosn, and also leaving out the 8 seasons he was on a scroringline with non-scoringine numbers.

Personally, I think Legwand belongs on the 3rd line. Smithson on the 4th. He just not that skilled when he crosses the blueline. You can point to the year he scored 27 goals. I point to the years that Krivokrasov, Kjellberg, and Johansson got 20+ goals when they were getting scoringline time out of default. He also played with much more assertion in his game the year he scored 27 goals, which has been non-existent in his game until the playoffs last year.

The person I want to have better chance is Martin Erat. He's been forced to play with Legwand all these years. Even playing with an average Marcel Goc made him shine more. Would love to see what Erat could do with a real scoringline center.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 01:18 PM
  #27
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
So yea, leaving out that Legwand had over 50% more icetime than Smithosn, and also leaving out the 8 seasons he was on a scroringline with non-scoringine numbers.

Personally, I think Legwand belongs on the 3rd line. Smithson on the 4th. He just not that skilled when he crosses the blueline. You can point to the year he scored 27 goals. I point to the years that Krivokrasov, Kjellberg, and Johansson got 20+ goals when they were getting scoringline time out of default. He also played with much more assertion in his game the year he scored 27 goals, which has been non-existent in his game until the playoffs last year.

The person I want to have better chance is Martin Erat. He's been forced to play with Legwand all these years. Even playing with an average Marcel Goc made him shine more. Would love to see what Erat could do with a real scoringline center.
He played quite a bit with Arnott last year. Was that enough of a sample to see what he could do?

You talk about Legwand and 8 seasons of him not scoring. Let's see, the first few years he was here he played with NHL castoffs that had career years with him. Where are any of those guys now? Out of the NHL and Legwand is still here. Then he gets a great winger to play with and his numbers go up. That winger gets taken away and his numbers go down. Do you see the correlation now? If Legwand has talent playing with him they make him better. When he has lesser talent with him, his play suffers. Legwand is not a Crosby in that he makes those around him better. He's not that type of player. He plays up or down to the level of his linemates. That is unfortunate but I also don't think Crosby could turn Smithson into a 40 point a year guy.

You say he's no good once he's over the blueline? If the other team knows the other guys on his team aren't offensive threats, Smithson, they can collapse on him and take away the ice. If he's got guys like Erat and Kariya out there, that can beat you, they have to respect them and aren't able to collapse and take away the ice and Legwand can do well in that situation.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 04:49 PM
  #28
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 14,336
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
It's all Smithson's fault. We'll leave out that Legwand got over 50% more ice time than Smithson.

3 years later, he's overpaid, and we still have 4 years to go. No way he'd get that money now. He was paid to be a 60 point player who was defensively responsible. That's only happened once his career, which coincided with his UFA year. This was the first year he was moved off a true scoring-line, but still got 18 min of icetime a game and 2 minutes of PP time a game. I would venture that 10 goals with 18 min of icetime a game is the least production for any NHLer getting 18 min a game.
If Leggys productivity last year becomes his permanent productivity, then you have a point.

but its much more likely last year was an aberration. Even if he doesnt get back to the mid twenties in goals I suspect he'll hit the high teens again.

if the market for centers is determined by mikko koivus deal then legwand is a relative bargain.

does anyone really think that MK brings 2.25 mil a year more to the table than Legwand?

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 05:18 PM
  #29
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
If Leggys productivity last year becomes his permanent productivity, then you have a point.

but its much more likely last year was an aberration. Even if he doesnt get back to the mid twenties in goals I suspect he'll hit the high teens again.
It's more likely that his 60 point season was the aberration, which also just happened to be his contract year. 9 years on a scoringline is sample size enough. He also played more than one season with Kariya. But we pull out the "well, he was recovering from an injury that season" excuse for that one.

I would like to see him play more like he played his contract year. He fought and took a beating despite his lack of strength. He's been coasting on the perimeter ever since singing his big contract, which makes him less effective offensiley, more suituable as a checking line center, and not worth 4.5m a year.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 06:31 PM
  #30
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,240
vCash: 500
Why is it dead horses which get whipped? Why not mules? Donkeys?

Right now the test for Legwand is this year. IF he can't produce this year with the plethora of talent about him at wing and forward then he's earned his rep.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 07:07 PM
  #31
roseyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
It's not Smithson's fault, it's Trotz's fault for putting him out there with him. Legwand's production is pretty predictable depending on his linemates. If he has guys that can score, his numbers go up, if he has guys that have minimal offensive skills, the numbers go down. It was proven last year. Play with Smithson and Ward for a bulk of the year and his numbers stunk. Play with Dumont in the playoffs and his numbers were the best on the team.

Will the real David Legwand show up this year? Who knows. Will Trotz put him in a position to score points with linemates that are his equal offensively, another big question mark. Having a fourth line grinder who's best offensive move is dump and chase is not going to help anyone score goals.
Smithson was put on the line at the beginning of the season with Legwand due to injuries. Smithson scored 6 quick goals and then scored 3 the rest of the year. When a player goes 40 games without scoring a goal then it's more than just linemates. Dumont was moved on different lines with whoever and he scored. I'm sure Trotz went through the thoughts that if Legwand would wake up and be somewhat the player he was supposed to be. Then after a period of time he just played Legwand to his strength which is defensive. If Legwand was paid 3.5ml instead of 4.5ml then I wouldn't be that alarmed. Which would free up some more money to add to the offensive. You made the statement "I've never expected Legwand to put up monster offensive numbers". But you keep referring to the year that he scored 27 goals. If you don't pay a player the top salary on the team for monster offensive numbers then what do you pay him for. You don't pay top salary for defensive. Those go to defenseman.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 09:07 PM
  #32
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
Smithson was put on the line at the beginning of the season with Legwand due to injuries. Smithson scored 6 quick goals and then scored 3 the rest of the year. When a player goes 40 games without scoring a goal then it's more than just linemates. Dumont was moved on different lines with whoever and he scored. I'm sure Trotz went through the thoughts that if Legwand would wake up and be somewhat the player he was supposed to be. Then after a period of time he just played Legwand to his strength which is defensive. If Legwand was paid 3.5ml instead of 4.5ml then I wouldn't be that alarmed. Which would free up some more money to add to the offensive. You made the statement "I've never expected Legwand to put up monster offensive numbers". But you keep referring to the year that he scored 27 goals. If you don't pay a player the top salary on the team for monster offensive numbers then what do you pay him for. You don't pay top salary for defensive. Those go to defenseman.
Explain Ryan Kessler and his soon to be $5 million salary.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 09:55 PM
  #33
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 45,123
vCash: 500
I understand why someone would look at Leggy's numbers and assume he's overpaid. In fact, he certainly was overpaid for what offense he brought last season. What I will never understand is the implication that Legwand comes out and plays with no heart. When you talk about how he did so well in what "happened to be his contract year" it implies that the guy only played to get paid. Legwand has as much desire to play as anyone in the league.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 10:14 PM
  #34
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Explain Ryan Kessler and his soon to be $5 million salary.
Kesler at 25 has more 20 goal seasons (3) than Legwand did at 25 (0).

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 03:10 PM
  #35
goalscorer
Registered User
 
goalscorer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Paducah, Ky
Posts: 330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Adding to this, he is also the all-time leading scorer in franchise history. One of 3 players with 100 goals, the only one with 150. One of 3 players with 200 assists, the only one with 250. One of 3 players with 300 points, the only one with 400.

Has also appeared in more games than any other player in franchise history
, take his defensive play into account with his offensive contributions and it's easy to see how he has stuck around for so long. He should still be able to finish his career with 700-800 points, and if he did he would certainly not be the first player to have his jersey retired with 700 points.

But by all means, if the masses want to keep complaining about the guy, then go for it. I'll continue to enjoy watching you folks look stupid.
You really have no argument there. Yah, he is the teams leading scorer, point getter and has played the most games for us....He has been with the franchise since it started. I would be suprised if he wasn't.

And to say people sound stupid for complaining about Legwand for whatever reasons is indeed stupid. I am not a huge fan of his, but I respect what he brings to our franchise. I respect his accomplishments and the fact that he will be a pred for life. But this is entertainment. People can complain for whatever reasons they want. It's like going to a movie and not enjoying an actors role. Who cares, it's that persons opinion.

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 04:03 PM
  #36
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by goalscorer View Post
You really have no argument there. Yah, he is the teams leading scorer, point getter and has played the most games for us....He has been with the franchise since it started. I would be suprised if he wasn't.

And to say people sound stupid for complaining about Legwand for whatever reasons is indeed stupid. I am not a huge fan of his, but I respect what he brings to our franchise. I respect his accomplishments and the fact that he will be a pred for life. But this is entertainment. People can complain for whatever reasons they want. It's like going to a movie and not enjoying an actors role. Who cares, it's that persons opinion.
This may be the best post I've read on the Legwand debate in some time. Thank you.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 05:12 PM
  #37
Legionnaire11
Registered User
 
Legionnaire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hendersonville
Country: United States
Posts: 2,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by goalscorer View Post
You really have no argument there. Yah, he is the teams leading scorer, point getter and has played the most games for us....He has been with the franchise since it started. I would be suprised if he wasn't.
And there's a reason (several actually) that he has been able to stick around longer than anyone else and top the record books. Meaning that yes there is an argument, a very good one. And folks who complain about legwand do often appear to be foolish for failing to notice those reasons.

As for hockey being entertainment, to some maybe. But it's naive to simplify it to that point. This game is big business, it's a way of life for thousands involved with the pro game. For professional men, it's a test of character every time they take the ice. So while some can choose to view it as simply a game to spend entertainment dollars on and form simple opinions of, others can choose to engross themselves in the depth and complexities involved.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 06:40 PM
  #38
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Adding to this, he is also the all-time leading scorer in franchise history. One of 3 players with 100 goals, the only one with 150. One of 3 players with 200 assists, the only one with 250. One of 3 players with 300 points, the only one with 400.

Has also appeared in more games than any other player in franchise history, take his defensive play into account with his offensive contributions and it's easy to see how he has stuck around for so long. He should still be able to finish his career with 700-800 points, and if he did he would certainly not be the first player to have his jersey retired with 700 points.

But by all means, if the masses want to keep complaining about the guy, then go for it. I'll continue to enjoy watching you folks look stupid.
It's all out of default. He has the most points in Preador history-- who is he competing against for this? 5 years of Cliff Ronning? 7 years of Scott Walker? Erat is the only real competition, and he started in the NHL 2 years later.

We'll leave last year's stats out the equation, since playing with Smithson for half the time killed any chance of him scoring a goal Lets take his first 9 years in the league... mostly all on scoringline getting loads of icetime and 3-4 minutes of PP time a game. 9 years on a scoringline and 369 points. I challenge you to find any NHL scoringline player who's scored less in 9 years.

In terms of the "heart of lion"... I was impressed in 06-07 when he battled hard. He's not strong, yet still went the front of the net and took a beating. Still battled in the corners, eventhough he was the one on his but most of the time. And his stats went up. That kind of play has been nearly non-existent since he signed his big contact, until the playoffs last year. Where has that willingness been? But yea, yea, it's all the Legwand haters dreaming it up. Well leave out that Trotz has said repeatedly he needs to more assertive in his play and Poile has said he has to step it or "he's not going to be happy."

I don't hate Legwand, I just don't think he has what it takes to reliable scoringline player in the NHL. Yes, he's stats would go up if he was playing with Ovechkin 22 minutes a game, but so would Patrick Kjellberg, Cliff Ronning, Radek Bonk, Sergie Krivokrasov, and <insert any name>. IMO, he's a great 3rd line cetner who can play 2nd line if he has linemates that will generate the load of the offense. Unforunatley, he's not paid to to be a borderline 2nd/3rd liner.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 06:58 PM
  #39
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
It's all out of default. He has the most points in Preador history-- who is he competing against for this? 5 years of Cliff Ronning? 7 years of Scott Walker? Erat is the only real competition, and he started in the NHL 2 years later.

We'll leave last year's stats out the equation, since playing with Smithson for half the time killed any chance of him scoring a goal Lets take his first 9 years in the league... mostly all on scoringline getting loads of icetime and 3-4 minutes of PP time a game. 9 years on a scoringline and 369 points. I challenge you to find any NHL scoringline player who's scored less in 9 years.

In terms of the "heart of lion"... I was impressed in 06-07 when he battled hard. He's not strong, yet still went the front of the net and took a beating. Still battled in the corners, eventhough he was the one on his but most of the time. And his stats went up. That kind of play has been nearly non-existent since he signed his big contact, until the playoffs last year. Where has that willingness been? But yea, yea, it's all the Legwand haters dreaming it up. Well leave out that Trotz has said repeatedly he needs to more assertive in his play and Poile has said he has to step it or "he's not going to be happy."

I don't hate Legwand, I just don't think he has what it takes to reliable scoringline player in the NHL. Yes, he's stats would go up if he was playing with Ovechkin 22 minutes a game, but so would Patrick Kjellberg, Cliff Ronning, Radek Bonk, Sergie Krivokrasov, and <insert any name>. IMO, he's a great 3rd line cetner who can play 2nd line if he has linemates that will generate the load of the offense. Unforunatley, he's not paid to to be a borderline 2nd/3rd liner.

And there's the point I disagree with. He's not paid to be a 3rd liner yet his coach puts him there with 3rd and 4th line talent.

You say he's been on a scoring line his 9 years here. Playing with Kjellberg, Krivakrasov, Johansson and everyone he's played with does not make him a top line center or player. He was put in that position because no one else on the roster had any talent. Also, when a team knows that he's the only talent on a team, they can put their checking line out against him and nullify his skills. The reason good team are hard to shut down are because of depth of lines and players. If you have one good line, matchups will usually outweigh talent on the ice. When we did add talent, Legwand produced just fine. When he was bumped down to talentless lines, he didn't fare as well.

Arnott put up decent numbers while he was here because he always had offensive players on his lines, always. If Legwand were always given top line talent and PP time equivalent to that of Arnott, I'm sure the numbers would've been comparable. I also would've liked to have seen what Arnott would've done with guys like Smithson and Ward and his wings for a season.

I also like that you have this notion that Legwand isn't physical or goes to the corners or does things to help the team win games. He is easily our best forechecker, will go to the net on the PP, unlike most of our guys, skates hard every shift and most of all, never complains about the way he's being used or making excuses for his lack of offense. He is a team guy and does what is asked of him.

I would love to see him take his game to the next level and be a complete all around player at both ends of the ice. I would hope the playoffs are his wake up call.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 07:42 PM
  #40
David Singleton
HFB Partner
 
David Singleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dickson, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
mostly all on scoringline getting loads of icetime and 3-4 minutes of PP time a game. 9 years on a scoringline
Criticism is great, but it should be accurate.

Legwand's PP time (per game):

1998-99, 1:49 (1 GP)
1999-00, 2:16 (6th forward)
2000-01, 2:15 (7th forward)
2001-02, 1:49 (8th forward)
2002-03, 4:42 (1st forward, followed by Johansson, Walker, Petrov, Orszagh, Arkhipov, Hall... you get the picture)
2003-04, 3:04 (6th forward)
2005-06, 3:55 (6th forward)
2006-07, 2:01 (8th forward)
2007-08, 3:30 (4th forward)
2008-09, 2:43 (5th forward)
2009-10, 1:38 (8th forward, behind O'Reilly)

The only time Legwand has sniffed 4:00 of PP time on the top unit was with, less than capable players. His greatest year offensively saw him average 2:01 of PP time.

Legwand is not an elite offensive player. To claim, however, that he's been playing on "scoring lines" for nine years and been given loads of PP time (implying top unit PP time, which he's only received once in his career) is patently false.


Last edited by David Singleton: 07-25-2010 at 08:01 PM.
David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 08:19 PM
  #41
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
Criticism is great, but it should be accurate.

Legwand's PP time (per game):

1998-99, 1:49 (1 GP)
1999-00, 2:16 (6th forward)
2000-01, 2:15 (7th forward)
2001-02, 1:49 (8th forward)
2002-03, 4:42 (1st forward, followed by Johansson, Walker, Petrov, Orszagh, Arkhipov, Hall... you get the picture)
2003-04, 3:04 (6th forward)
2005-06, 3:55 (6th forward)
2006-07, 2:01 (8th forward)
2007-08, 3:30 (4th forward)
2008-09, 2:43 (5th forward)
2009-10, 1:38 (8th forward, behind O'Reilly)

The only time Legwand has sniffed 4:00 of PP time on the top unit was with, less than capable players. His greatest year offensively saw him average 2:01 of PP time.

Legwand is not an elite offensive player. To claim, however, that he's been playing on "scoring lines" for nine years and been given loads of PP time (implying top unit PP time, which he's only received once in his career) is patently false.
Legwand has been on a legitimate scoring line for only a few years ... 03-04, 05-06, 06-07 and 07-08 .... in the earlier years the team lacked anything that could be called a legit scoring line ... the past two years he's lacked scoring talent on the wings.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 09:07 PM
  #42
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 45,123
vCash: 500
Come on, guys. Stats aren't for message boards, much less threads about David Legwand.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 09:38 PM
  #43
David Singleton
HFB Partner
 
David Singleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dickson, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Legwand has been on a legitimate scoring line for only a few years ... 03-04, 05-06, 06-07 and 07-08 .... in the earlier years the team lacked anything that could be called a legit scoring line ... the past two years he's lacked scoring talent on the wings.
2003-04 is being generous, but I agree overall.

For those years...


2003-04, 82 GP, 18 G, 29 A, 47 Pts (0.57 Pts/G) - 4th most points on team behind Scott Walker (67), Zidlicky (53), and Erat (49)
2005-06, 44 GP, 7 G, 19 A, 26 Pts (0.59 Pts/G) - 10th most points on team
2006-07, 78 GP, 27 G, 36 A, 63 Pts (0.81 Pts/G) - 3rd most points behind Kariya (76) and Dumont (66)
2007-08, 65 GP, 15 G, 29 A, 44 Pts (0.68 Pts/G) - 5th most points behind Dumont (72), Arnott (72), Radulov (58), and Erat (57)

From a Pts/G perspective, 2006-07 was great and 2007-08 was pretty good. Calling a line of Walker, Legwand and Erat a legitimate scoring line in 2003-04 is being generous, but he scored at an average clip. 2005-06 was the injury shortened season.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 10:52 PM
  #44
adsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,140
vCash: 500
Nashville has always been offensively challenged. That made Rads leaving a tragedy. Kariya was a big boost. When you have more offensive talent you make the defense's job harder. Obviously, if you have two good scoring lines the top defenders can't play against both.

Leggy has done what he could. He isn't an Ovie type player. Playing with Smithson will drag down your stats. He wasn't an offensive force in Milwaukee. I am surprised that he has lasted this long in the NHL.

This is my key to pro sports. If you want to get rid of a manager or a player, who can you get to replace him? You want an improvement over what you have. I don't see the Preds getting too many guys better than Legwand without breaking the bank. I am not a Legwand fan, but I am a realist about what the Preds can get on the open market in the next 3 or 4 years. Build from within and fill holes with free agents.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 11:14 PM
  #45
I Will Son
An Army of One
 
I Will Son's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 8,504
vCash: 500
Legwand is one of the most solid players we have. If we didnt have him in the playoffs I dont know what the series would of looked at. Hes also one of our best if not our best penalty killer. And he really has never had an offensive dynamo next to him other than when Kariya was here. Yes he doesnt put up the offensive numbers everyone expected him to put up but offense isnt the only part of game. Legwand is and will be one of my favorite preds for a long time. I have come to accept the fact that a lot of fans are going to criticize him.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 11:24 PM
  #46
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
Criticism is great, but it should be accurate.

Legwand's PP time (per game):

1998-99, 1:49 (1 GP)
1999-00, 2:16 (6th forward)
2000-01, 2:15 (7th forward)
2001-02, 1:49 (8th forward)
2002-03, 4:42 (1st forward, followed by Johansson, Walker, Petrov, Orszagh, Arkhipov, Hall... you get the picture)
2003-04, 3:04 (6th forward)
2005-06, 3:55 (6th forward)
2006-07, 2:01 (8th forward)
2007-08, 3:30 (4th forward)
2008-09, 2:43 (5th forward)
2009-10, 1:38 (8th forward, behind O'Reilly)

The only time Legwand has sniffed 4:00 of PP time on the top unit was with, less than capable players. His greatest year offensively saw him average 2:01 of PP time.

Legwand is not an elite offensive player. To claim, however, that he's been playing on "scoring lines" for nine years and been given loads of PP time (implying top unit PP time, which he's only received once in his career) is patently false.
Are you really including '98? From '99-'2009 (9 seasons), his average is about 3 minutes (2.9 from my calculation). That's scoringline line time-- similar to what Hornqvist got this year.

Never did I say he had the most. In terms of your rankings.. you're also including players we got at the trade deadline who piled up most of their PP time with other teams. He's been atleast on the 2nd PP unit, and a few years on the 1st PP unit. In 07-08, you say he was 4th on the team. Nice to give the tie to Erat, who had the same 3:30 per game. That's first line PP time.

Also, he ranked FIRST in Even Strenth TOI/g for MOST of those years too. Add it all together, he's had plenty of icetime to show his offensive abilities.

The apologists always come back to linemates. Johansson, Smithson, whoever. I can't count how many times people blame Smithson for Legwand's 40 goal drought, conveniently leaving out Legwand had 50% more icetime than Smithson, 2 min of PP time, etc. This year he was given less opportunities. Why? Because he didn't deserve more. Still, he was 2nd on the team in ES time (3 seconds behind Arnott), and had the 2nd most PP time among centers. Goc had 11 sec / game of PP time. O'Reilly had more per game, but only a handful of games.

But for me, it doesn't come down to stats. It comes down to his play. 1 in 10 years he's been a legit scoringline player, and it was his contract year. I don't expect it to magically happen for the next 4 years as he enters his 30's. I'm glad he's on our team, but the price is horrible, especially for a cash strapped team.


Last edited by dulzhok: 07-25-2010 at 11:31 PM.
dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 11:57 PM
  #47
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
The problem with expecting Legwand to ever become a dominant or "more assertive" offensive player as he was hyped to be in his draft year is that his skill does not allow for that to happen.

Legwand is one of the fastest skaters on the team, he sees the ice very well, and is probably our best defensive forward. He doesn't however possess the quick burst ability or change of direction necessary to create tons of offense for himself. Legwand has a very long skating stride. He gets the most out of every stride and will win a race to the puck because of that. He doesn't however have Klasen's turbo button ability to use a quick burst of speed to beat anyone, nor does he have Sullivan like change of direction to take advantage of defenders either.

Leggy has been most successful in his career when paired with Kariya and Erat for one reason...those two stretched the ice and allowed Legwand to enter the offensive zone at full speed, beating defenders to the front of the net, and putting the puck straight onto Leggy's stick to create scoring opportunities.

Last season, Legwand either entered the zone with little support (Smithson and Ward trailing the play) or entered commonly after Smithson or Ward had already dumped the puck in and given up possession.

With the lineup changes this summer, Coach Trotz has the ability to put Legwand back onto a line with wingers that play a puck possession game and could re-create the magic Legwand found in the 2006-07 season.

Erat also plays better in a puck possession style offense (ie: all the delays and spin-o-rama's he employs) and could also have a solid season with the right linemates.

I truly believe that if Trotz plays with a line of Legwand centering Kostitsyn and Erat early in the season we will all be pleased with the results...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 12:28 AM
  #48
predsblog
Registered User
 
predsblog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Erat also plays better in a puck possession style offense (ie: all the delays and spin-o-rama's he employs) and could also have a solid season with the right linemates.

I truly believe that if Trotz plays with a line of Legwand centering Kostitsyn and Erat early in the season we will all be pleased with the results...
My thoughts exactly... People complain that Legwand and Erat had no chemistry in the past, but they were part of a very successful line with Kariya. If the goal is to forecheck and play keep-away with the Legwand-line, Erat is perfect. Kostitsyn can easily keep up to their speed and adds a much needed scoring touch.

predsblog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 12:53 AM
  #49
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by predsblog View Post
My thoughts exactly... People complain that Legwand and Erat had no chemistry in the past, but they were part of a very successful line with Kariya. If the goal is to forecheck and play keep-away with the Legwand-line, Erat is perfect. Kostitsyn can easily keep up to their speed and adds a much needed scoring touch.
Welcome to the board! Yeah, I saw that suggestion in the article and it just went along with my initial thought when Kostitsyn was signed and it was made clear he would be given a chance to make the Predators lineup.

Trotz has so many options available entering training camp. I really don't think anyone (including the coaching staff) have the slightest clue what our opening night lineup will look like. No matter who I've seen try, everyone has been frustrated in the end after leaving a player out of the lineup.

Competition brings out the best in everyone. I certainly hope, even as a Legwand fan, that competition and an abundance of skill throughout the lineup brings out the best in David Legwand for the 2010-11 season and beyond. I think we can all agree on that!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 02:48 AM
  #50
goalscorer
Registered User
 
goalscorer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Paducah, Ky
Posts: 330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
And there's a reason (several actually) that he has been able to stick around longer than anyone else and top the record books. Meaning that yes there is an argument, a very good one. And folks who complain about legwand do often appear to be foolish for failing to notice those reasons.
Such as he was drafted at eighteen years old, that he was our first ever draft pick, that he fits into Trotz's mold, that has good speed, that he's sound defensively? I'm sure you can come up with more...my point was that he is a decent player, but any decent player who has played ten years with an expansion franchise will and should hold most of the records. Maybe this will help...


Legwand -704- 152- 255- 407 Ten season as a Predator
Arnott -275- 107- 122- 229 Four Seasons as a Predator
Erat -552- 123- 229- 352 Eight Season as a Predator

Trade Legwand, add two seasons for Erat, he breaks the goals and assists all time and add six for Arnott even at his diminishing pace and he breaks both with ease. I'm not knocking Legwand, but there are quite a few players we've had or have that if stayed or stay for ten plus years then Legwand wouldn't/ won't have those records. We may have to agree to disagree here. Your original statement doesn't hold any water with me.

Most people complain about Legwand's pay. There are those who want him to be Ovechkin and don't see the defensive value he brings. And then there are those who just don't like him. They are entitled to their opinions. They may not be well thought out in their posts, but I certainly don't consider them stupid. They may not see the game how you or I see it. They may never have played and don't realize the complexities of being in a shutdown role, etc.

In conclusion, I don't agree with most of what you have posted, but I don't think your stupid or sound foolish. We see things differently and that's fine. Thanks for your contribution to these boards and for supporting the only NHL franchise that matters.

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.