HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Versus Top-10 Goaltenders List

Old
07-25-2010, 10:15 AM
dtrap

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
75% of this board does.

including me.

most overrated goalie in the history of the game.

On the flip side, Hasek is, in my opinion, the greatest goalie to ever lace em up.
Ok 75% of THIS BOARD calls Marty a system goalie. Thanks for making my point for me.

Sorry if I don't see a group of Rangers fans as the primary source to evaluate a Devils goaltender lol

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 10:15 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Just for the record, I'm embarassed for the sport of hockey that Versus is their main broadcasting network in the USA (NBC doesn't count because they do like 2 games a week).

I'm not surprised by the list though. I see these type of rankings in every sport, the NFL being one of the most prevalent, where a player has one great season and all of a sudden it's like "OMG OMG THEY'RE THE BEST PLAYER IN THE SPORT." I never take these rankings too seriously in any sport because they too often fail to rank players or teams based on consistency.

Versus needs to stick to broadcasting ****ing fishing or Indy car racing.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 10:23 AM
xxxZENxxx

Henrik should be in the top 3 and is a better goalie now than Brodeur. This really wasn't the case when Marty was in his prime, but now there isn't even an argument.

Follow me and real-time hockey news on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/bszen27

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 10:28 AM
dtrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Just for the record, I'm embarassed for the sport of hockey that Versus is their main broadcasting network in the USA (NBC doesn't count because they do like 2 games a week).

I'm not surprised by the list though. I see these type of rankings in every sport, the NFL being one of the most prevalent, where a player has one great season and all of a sudden it's like "OMG OMG THEY'RE THE BEST PLAYER IN THE SPORT." I never take these rankings too seriously in any sport because they too often fail to rank players or teams based on consistency.

Versus needs to stick to broadcasting ****ing fishing or Indy car racing.
I don't know why people hate on Versus so much. I think their television broadcasts are excellent. They do a solid job, and there is no doubt the NHL is their primary sport.

The problem is that the NHL screwed up. They need to go back to ESPN on their hands and knees.

Old
07-25-2010, 10:37 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
I don't know why people hate on Versus so much. I think their television broadcasts are excellent. They do a solid job, and there is no doubt the NHL is their primary sport.

The problem is that the NHL screwed up. They need to go back to ESPN on their hands and knees.
It's because no one knows wtf versus is. Everybody knows ESPN. The NHL is losing whatever popularity they have left by selling their TV rights to versus.

edit: also ESPN broadcasts Poker, Bowling, Softball and freakin' Billiards. You don't think that if the NHL proposed a competent plan to them they wouldn't take it? Hell even if they broadcast hockey on ESPN2 that would be fine. The NHL is settling for less with Versus.

Last edited by Stugots: 07-25-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 10:43 AM
turcotte8

Quote:
So you like watching games with terrible announcers, no replays, and cutting away from live action to show someone on the bench?

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 10:49 AM
Fataldogg

Meh, just an opinion I don't agree with. Personally, I don't find the list being credible with Henrik not being in the top-3 / top-5.

It's just one or two editors opinion's though. You can look at the general consensus via the best goaltender threads here on the HF Boards and see that Lundqvist is widely considered a top-3 goaltender by most hockey fans.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 11:17 AM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
It's because no one knows wtf versus is. Everybody knows ESPN. The NHL is losing whatever popularity they have left by selling their TV rights to versus.

edit: also ESPN broadcasts Poker, Bowling, Softball and freakin' Billiards. You don't think that if the NHL proposed a competent plan to them they wouldn't take it? Hell even if they broadcast hockey on ESPN2 that would be fine. The NHL is settling for less with Versus.
I think ESPN would love to get back into hockey now. But after the lockout, NO ONE knew what the heck was going to happen. However, I think the league thinks its partnership with Versus is a good one, as Versus seems willing to work with the league to help feature the games, as the NHL is its anchor.

Also, the conflicts of interest and nepotism involved (Comcast/Xfinity and the NBC merger, Xfinity owning Versus, Xfinity owning the Flyers, Snider's big hand in all things involving the BOG) must be considered.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 11:20 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Haha. Not surprised this is a list put out by VS. I think Lundqvist is a top 3 goalie easy. No way Anderson is top 5. He shouldn't even be top 10. This is a terrible list.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 12:34 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post

On the flip side, Hasek is, in my opinion, the greatest goalie to ever lace em up.
I basically agree. He never looked pretty doing it, but the guy could stop pucks like no other. The only guy I put on Hasek's level is Roy.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

If you watch versus and their horrific hockey coverage you can't take anything that they say seriously. I have a 50+ inch TV and they block out 35 inches of it with ads and useless graphics, not to mention the worthless sideline bimbos.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 01:26 PM
Ola

If 30 gm's were to pick a goalie for one season, I don't think 3 would pick Backstrom over Hank.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 02:11 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Dude...Ryan Miller has been arguably the best goalie in the NHL for about 3 years now...lol
Didn't see this gem last night...He's had 1 year...1 year with a GAA under 2.5, and a save percentage over .920.

In the past three years, he's played 76 games (awesome), 59 games (what?), and 69 games (nice). He's won 35+ twice, and only three times in his entire career.

How he's been the best goalie in the NHL for the past three seasons is beyond me when you root for a guy who in that same three year span....

Played over 70 games each season, always won 35 or more, and never had a save percentage under .910 or a GAA over 2.45.

The love for Miller after one elite year confuses me. That's all.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 02:29 PM
dtrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
So you like watching games with terrible announcers, no replays, and cutting away from live action to show someone on the bench?
If you look close enough that stuff happens during every broadcasts sporting event.

I have a serious question? Do you understand how a TV crew and broadcast is put together? When there isn't a replay it means one of two things. A) The play wasn't caught on any of the cameras. B) The director made a decision not to show it.

In fact when it comes to hockey, a lot of times the home team and road team broadcasts combine cameras. Say if the Rangers are in Carolina, MSG will own 6 of the cams and Fox Sports Carolina will own 6 of the cames. The trucks park right next to each other and both crews use all 12 cameras and can pick and chose which one they want to use at any given time. Then they just lay the network specific graphics over them.

Old
07-25-2010, 02:32 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
My problem with that list is that there are too many goal tenders before Hank. Bryz had a good season but he hasn't proved that hes not a fluke. Hank is consistently good. he should be 2nd or 3rd on that list honestly. and Brodeur is...good. (shivers just saying that) but he's been on a good team. eh i dunno.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 03:05 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
If you look close enough that stuff happens during every broadcasts sporting event.

I have a serious question? Do you understand how a TV crew and broadcast is put together? When there isn't a replay it means one of two things. A) The play wasn't caught on any of the cameras. B) The director made a decision not to show it.
It happens way more often on VS than other networks.

So either -
A) they have crappy cameramen who can't follow they action

or

B) they have an idiot director who doesn't show replays so we can watch someone on the bench, or he's forced to show a promo about Bull Riding coming on after the game while we sit and wonder why the hell someone is getting a penalty.

Either way it's bad coverage by the Network.

Almost no one I've ever talked to or reading people's opinions on the internet thinks VS does a good job. You are in the very small minority.

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 03:22 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
I don't know why people hate on Versus so much. I think their television broadcasts are excellent.
I've been in marketing and braodcasting for 30 years and their broadcasts suck. Robotic, scripted and completely unable to capture the flow of the game. Their second tier announcers are awful too.

Quote:
You nailed this one. The promotional value that ESPN brought to hockey was worth far more than the rights fee. A classic case of stepping on dollars to pick up dimes.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 04:00 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I've been in marketing and braodcasting for 30 years and their broadcasts suck. Robotic, scripted and completely unable to capture the flow of the game. Their second tier announcers are awful too.
Seconded. Versus' production quality is second-rate at best.

My favorite bits are when they try and queue up a prerecorded phone interview as a "live chat" with someone. It's not even passable, but they keep trying it.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 05:40 PM
dtrap

Quote:
Well with some of the local/regional tv stuff I deal with for work anything looks good haha.

Quote:
You nailed this one. The promotional value that ESPN brought to hockey was worth far more than the rights fee. A classic case of stepping on dollars to pick up dimes.
I think eventually the NHL will end up back on ESPN. The problem is that the NHL needs ESPN far more than ESPN needs the NHL.

Old
07-25-2010, 05:49 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Some of those goalies have never even won a playoff round.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 05:52 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Backstrom, Anderson and Bryzgalov ahead of Hank is a joke.
Precisely. But I'd add Miller as well.

Although I do believe Miller and Backstrom deserve to be on that list.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 06:06 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIsDifferentHer View Post
In terms of ability, no, but in terms of the last 4 years, his stats and play justify him at that spot for me.
He is a product of the Wild's system. Roloson and Backstrom both had their best years, statistically, on the Wild. That is more than coincidental. It did not surprise me at all with the numbers that Backstrom put up w/ the Wild. I will give him his props getting his Vezina nomination / putting up the numbers he had but I don't think he is a great goaltender.

This past year, when he didn't have shut down defense in front of him, when he didn't have a decent team, he put up mediocre numbers and the Wild miss the playoffs. I think that speaks volume. Lundqvist also played on a poor team, played on a team that lacked fundamental defense, etc, and he had an excellent season. Great goaltenders will do well no matter what system or team is in front of them. Granted, they will do better with a better team in front of them but they can still hold their own when they have a so-so team in front of them. Henrik is in another hemisphere than Backstrom.

I think he is a solid goaltender, top-15, but has no business being mentioned in the top-10 / top-5. Just my opinion.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 06:12 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Seconded. Versus' production quality is second-rate at best.

My favorite bits are when they try and queue up a prerecorded phone interview as a "live chat" with someone. It's not even passable, but they keep trying it.
Do not really understand all the negativity about Versus in this thread, minus the goalie list. Does anyone in the U.S. think NBC, CSN or anyone else puts on a better telecast? I can really only compare Versus to NBC here because the homer CSN telecast does not stand up. Even down to the broadcast quality. Why is the picture so much better on Versus than CSN?

Versus at least stepped up to the plate for Hockey. It's the only network in the U.S. playing games on a national level for the entire season.

I'd like to see the NHL back on ESPN, one game a week or something. Completely agree with the previous posters comments regarding the NHL needing ESPN more than the other way around. It will also give the NHL more coverage on the station.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 11:11 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
Precisely. But I'd add Miller as well.

Although I do believe Miller and Backstrom deserve to be on that list.
i can see both sides of the Miller-Lundqvist debate. IMHO they are both elite, worth class, brick walls back there. id take either of them in a heartbeat.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 06:33 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Didn't see this gem last night...He's had 1 year...1 year with a GAA under 2.5, and a save percentage over .920.

In the past three years, he's played 76 games (awesome), 59 games (what?), and 69 games (nice). He's won 35+ twice, and only three times in his entire career.

How he's been the best goalie in the NHL for the past three seasons is beyond me when you root for a guy who in that same three year span....

Played over 70 games each season, always won 35 or more, and never had a save percentage under .910 or a GAA over 2.45.

The love for Miller after one elite year confuses me. That's all.
I think it's justified. That shock at 59 games is kind of weird... considering he sprained his ankle that year... when our Gomez fell on him. It wasn't benchings or bad play. It was an injury. There is alot wrong with that list, but Ryan Miller probably isn't one of them.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote