HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tampa Bay / Québec connection theories

View Poll Results: How come is there so many Québec guys in Tampa
Guy Boucher has that much influence. 28 15.73%
A move to Quebec city is in the books, if not for 2011, soon. 32 17.98%
Yzerman is a Quebec lover 11 6.18%
Coincidence (ya right) 92 51.69%
Other reason 15 8.43%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2010, 09:02 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Wasn't some people suspicious of Yzerman for his lack of selection of Quebecois players for Team Canada? I think it's all coincidence.

Old
07-25-2010, 09:18 AM
PunkinDrublic*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Wasn't some people suspicious of Yzerman for his lack of selection of Quebecois players for Team Canada? I think it's all coincidence.
Now that's a great point, i remember RDS had an article as to how Stevey Y hated Lecavalier and this is why he wasn't chosen.

Old
07-25-2010, 09:44 AM
Matteus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
lol wut ? Seriously ?

Tampa Bay Nordiques. Moi J'aime ca moi. Hohoho.

TSN = Toronto Sports Network.

RDS is so much crap they have to have videos of Bruno Gervais talking about Kovalchuk's contract being rejected by the league.

I don't remember what the "R" in RDS stands for, but it doesn't specify homerism. It's suppose to be a news outlet for everything sports related for French people. TSN is for people in the GTA and then they show whatever else happened around the league.

I mgiht be wrong, wouldn't be surprised, but RDS just stands for Resultate (sp?) des sports ? Essentially, sports results, no ?
RDS stands for Réseau des sports.

But the more you watch them, the more you think "Ragots du sport" (sport gossip).

Old
07-25-2010, 02:33 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Nothing to this.

Old
07-25-2010, 02:49 PM
LastChancePrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
french would rather live in Florida than Quebec i guess.....
I would

Old
07-25-2010, 02:52 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHfan4ever View Post
I would
I would as well, and my money would also.

Old
07-25-2010, 03:39 PM
Forsead

To people dissing the choice of Bruno Gervais to gave his opinion you need to look up the article. He work with the nhlpa, being the representative for the NYI with Dipietro. Plus he was at a golf tourney so it was easy to have him in interview and he is a very intelligent and well spoken guy. I don't like RDS and their bias but at least criticize the right thing.

Last edited by Forsead: 07-25-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old
07-25-2010, 03:50 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
To people dissing the choice of Bruno Gervais to gave his opinion you need to look up the article. He work with the nhlpa, being the representative for the NYI with Dipietro. Plus he was at a golf tourney so it was easy to have him in interview and he is a very intelligent and well spoken guy. I don't like RDS and they bias but at least criticize the right thing.
I wasn't one of the one criticizing the Gervais interview, but I was unaware of that. Thanks for bringing it into perspective.

Old
07-25-2010, 05:07 PM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I would as well, and my money would also.
Beautiful home for under $150,000 and a life-time of nice weather.

Plus, getting tickets to a hockey game would be pretty easy too.

Old
07-26-2010, 01:01 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Ellerection View Post
I wasn't one of the one criticizing the Gervais interview, but I was unaware of that. Thanks for bringing it into perspective.
VID : first thing the interviewer says : j'voudrais l'opinion du représentant des Islanders...

TEXT : Les réactions au sujet du refus du contrat d’Ilya Kovalchuk continuent d’affluer et Bruno Gervais, adjoint au représentant des joueurs chez les Islanders de New York, admet que la décision de la LNH n’est pas si surprenante.

So, may not be your case, but let's say it was just another moronic excuse to go on a french bashing fest.

Old
08-16-2010, 11:08 PM
alexstream

As of July 26th, 62.5% thought it was just a coincidence and half of the respondent flamed the OP for starting such a "stupid poll"...

poll started on the 24th, Gagné move happened on the 19th, MA Pouliot on the 23rd...
----------
however, they still went out to get Mathieu Roy on the 29th and just now, Cedrick Desjardins

So, in order to save what's left of my dignity, let's dig it back to the surface and see if you really still think it's a frikkin coincidence!! LOL.

Old
08-16-2010, 11:16 PM
katatoniak

Coincidence

Old
08-16-2010, 11:16 PM
Sebaldian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
As of July 26th, 62.5% thought it was just a coincidence and half of the respondent flamed the OP for starting such a "stupid poll"...

poll started on the 24th, Gagné move happened on the 19th, MA Pouliot on the 23rd...
----------
however, they still went out to get Mathieu Roy on the 29th and just now, Cedrick Desjardins

So, in order to save what's left of my dignity, let's dig it back to the surface and see if you really still think it's a frikkin coincidence!! LOL.
Desjardins is from New Brunswick.

Old
08-16-2010, 11:48 PM
VL55

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
Ok, with ALL these guys from Quebec in Tampa Bay (more than Montreal, and we might even have to go back to the Nords to find that many people from Quebec at important positions in a NHL team), I'm still questionning the reasons behind "how / why it is happening".
Really? The Nordique of my youth had fewer talented quebecker player than today's Lightning. And yet there was a higher proportion of players from quebec in the league in those days.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...000471994.html

Look at that roster from the late days of the Nordique. See many people from Quebec at ''important position''? Claude Lapointe is the only one who played more than 50 game that year.

I am no hockey historian but Michel Goulet is the only player I can remember that fits your bill from Quebec's early days. Anyone can help me? (Seriously, I am not very good and I like to learn ).

Old
08-16-2010, 11:53 PM
VL55

Quote:
Originally Posted by the vinyl version View Post
Desjardins is from New Brunswick.
Does he even speak french or does just have a french surname? It doesn't matter one whit to his worth as a player but it'd be quite hilarious if he didn't speak french considering the storm in a water glass that his trade is causing.

Old
08-16-2010, 11:54 PM
JackZap

watch them hire Boivin

Old
08-17-2010, 12:03 AM
Not The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by VL55 View Post
Does he even speak french or does just have a french surname? It doesn't matter one whit to his worth as a player but it'd be quite hilarious if he didn't speak french considering the storm in a water glass that his trade is causing.
He speaks french and grew up in Quebec.

Old
08-17-2010, 12:04 AM
Sebaldian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VL55 View Post
He's from Edmundston, which if I recall correctly is on the border of Quebec and very French. That would be funny though.

Old
08-17-2010, 12:08 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

One thing, I went to a Panthers home game last winter when the Habs were playing and it was easily 2/3 Habs fans (my actual guess would be 4/5 but don't want to appear hyperbolic). Plus some locals told me they'd never seen such a big crowd. Many Quebecers spend winters in Florida, maybe Lightning management wants to exploit that?

Old
08-17-2010, 12:27 AM
Kenny Powders

omg so much quebecois, GIVE THEM THE CUP, THEY WILL WIN FOR SURE ..

Old
08-17-2010, 08:06 AM
Habitants

still waiting for them to sign Begin....

Old
08-17-2010, 08:46 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Partly coincidence

Partly trying to fill the MANY empty seats with the many Quebecois in Florida, which is a smart tactic business wise

just a theory

Anyways, **** TB

I'm really sick of hearing about them personally.

Old
08-17-2010, 09:33 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

I think it's partly a coincidence, and partly the result of the influence Boucher & Brisebois may have now.

But I'm not totally excluding the theory that a move to Quebec City is in the books. We've seen crazier stuff happening. The new owner, Jeff Vinik, looks very serious, but he also has the same first name than Jeffrey Loria... Let's say there is a verbal agreement between Vinik, Bettman and Péladeau. It would then be a very wise move to increase the value of the team in Péladeau's eyes. Money talks... especially for a businessman like Vinik!

I took this from an article about Vinik in the St. Petersburg Times :

Quote:
So maybe it's time for an owner with a grownup haircut. An owner with a tie around his neck and a Lightning pin in his jacket lapel. An owner who does not claim to be a hockey expert but seems to know the difference between his elbow and his assets. "His success is based on analyzing businesses and deciding which are good and which are bad, and then investing in the good ones," commissioner Gary Bettman said. "He doesn't make snap decisions.

Old
08-17-2010, 11:06 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
My hypothesis :

Yzerman was raised by the Red Wings, who have a tradition of having an english north american core supported by a strong second core from one country/region (Russians during the 90s, Swedes in the 2000s). Perhaps Yzerman came to the Lightning, saw that two of their stars were french (Lecavalier/St. Louis) and then decided he'd base his team's core on that a-la red wings. I think its a good system, better than having one or two players from each country then hope they get along.

Old
08-17-2010, 01:40 PM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
My hypothesis :

Yzerman was raised by the Red Wings, who have a tradition of having an english north american core supported by a strong second core from one country/region (Russians during the 90s, Swedes in the 2000s). Perhaps Yzerman came to the Lightning, saw that two of their stars were french (Lecavalier/St. Louis) and then decided he'd base his team's core on that a-la red wings. I think its a good system, better than having one or two players from each country then hope they get along.
yeah, that + many quebeckers in Winter time in Ft Lauderdale area.

two very potent "other" hypothesis
I don't buy the coincidence though.

Closed Thread