HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Bad skating technique?

Old
07-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Thepandamancan

vCash: 500
Bad skating technique?

So I just started playing hockey a few months ago and I'm improving with every game I play.

When I skate I use these velcro straps that I wrap around my ankles for extra stability. If I don't have these straps on, I'm fine but I notice my ankles wobble a bit and I don't feel like I have as much control. Even though my skates are as tight as can be and I can feel my ankle locked in place.

I have the Bauer Vapor RX05 roller skates and the boot is fairly stiff. I'm sure the models up would be better, but I'm just starting off.

I'm just wondering if I'm learning bad skating technique by using the straps as sort of a crutch or if I could use stiffer boots or even a combination of both?

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 06:04 PM
hoonking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepandamancan View Post
So I just started playing hockey a few months ago and I'm improving with every game I play.

When I skate I use these velcro straps that I wrap around my ankles for extra stability. If I don't have these straps on, I'm fine but I notice my ankles wobble a bit and I don't feel like I have as much control. Even though my skates are as tight as can be and I can feel my ankle locked in place.

I have the Bauer Vapor RX05 roller skates and the boot is fairly stiff. I'm sure the models up would be better, but I'm just starting off.

I'm just wondering if I'm learning bad skating technique by using the straps as sort of a crutch or if I could use stiffer boots or even a combination of both?
Take off the straps. It might take a couple skates to get strong enough ankles to feel as comfortable as you used to but you are using them as a crutch. You shouldn't buy a new boot unless you can squeeze with ease. Otherwise it should be fine for a beginner.

hoonking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 02:47 AM
biturbo19

It's been so long since i was learning to skate that it's hard to even think about...like, i don't really think about it, just sorta...do it. but the idea of 'locking ankles in place' doesn't sound like the right thing to be doing. And i'm honestly not sure what these 'velcro straps' are, don't think i've ever encountered them? but from what you describe, it sounds like a crutch, and probably something to be avoided.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 10:16 AM
Pog Form

If you're still learning to skate, this is going to cause you to develop bad habits and poor technique. If you can't flex your ankles forward, you won't be able to bend your knees properly to get the power you need to be effective. I understand that there are pros who tape their ankles, but you need to develop the fundamentals first and this includes strengthening your ankles and learning proper technique.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 10:39 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well at $100 I'm not sure they're going to have enough support for your ankles, that might be why you have to wrap them. You should be able to just lace them up and get enough support.

The key is to get a boot where your heel and ankle lock into place and never move around. If you can do that and the boot is stiff enough that you can't severely deform it with your bare hands, you should be fine.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Hawker14

As has been said, the boot itself should provide the stability you need, while still allowing necessary flexibility for your ankles.

The straps seem like a bad idea that will just delay your development.

A good plan for strengthening your ankles is to not tie the laces tight, the looser the better, and just go for a leisurely skate (daily if possibly) for 15-20 mins. You'll know that your ankles are strong enough when you get to the point of being able to leisurely skate with the laces not tied up at all, and the skates' loose.

Just remember to try to not get discouraged, as it takes time.

Last edited by Hawker14: 07-28-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Hawker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 09:40 AM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyToews View Post
As has been said, the boot itself should provide the stability you need, while still allowing necessary flexibility for your ankles.

The straps seem like a bad idea that will just delay your development.A good plan for strengthening your ankles is to not tie the laces tight, the looser the better, and just go for a leisurely skate (daily if possibly) for 15-20 mins. You'll know that your ankles are strong enough when you get to the point of being able to leisurely skate with the laces not tied up at all, and the skates' loose.

Just remember to try to not get discouraged, as it takes time.
this.ive been skating over 30 yrs, and i dont even use the top eyelets.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 12:23 PM
Blueland89

I have the exact same skate and just started about 2 months ago so I know exactly what you mean the rest of the skate is tight but around the ankle there is too much wiggle room it just takes time mine don't hurt anymore. It my just be bad form I started bending my knees more and it stopped not saying thats the answer but I also do lots of leg workouts don't know if that helps any either.

I don't know if this is common either but when I first started by lower back hurt also I don't know bending my knees more helped that too any input

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote