HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Music

Old
07-25-2010, 10:42 PM
In The Flesh

vCash: 500
I echo the "rock today is worthless" folks

I like Classic Rock.

Flashback hosted by Bill St. James is the best radio show on the air.

My fav bands include Yes, Genesis, Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, Supertramp, Styx, & more

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 10:48 PM
bettercallstaal
Custom User Title

vCash: 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post

I like Classic Rock.

My fav bands include Yes, Genesis, Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, Supertramp, Styx, & more
I get what you and the other guy are getting at. Rock these days doesn't have the long term appeal that some of the older stuff has. It just doesn't... but I think it's because back in the day of all that music lasted that long was bc it was rock was the major genre of music... face it rock in general is in the minority these days... it's all hip-hop and r&b... and of course pop...

bettercallstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 10:54 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedwrister17 View Post
I get what you and the other guy are getting at. Rock these days doesn't have the long term appeal that some of the older stuff has. It just doesn't... but I think it's because back in the day of all that music lasted that long was bc it was rock was the major genre of music... face it rock in general is in the minority these days... it's all hip-hop and r&b... and of course pop...
thats def. a big part of it.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 11:11 PM
acapps10

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post

I like Classic Rock.

aside from the metal and progressive rock genres, i would agree that modern rock is indeed mostly a waste of time

acapps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 11:19 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

There's still some great stuff out there that echoes Genesis, Yes, Rush, etc. all that classic rock stuff. A lot of it is underground or not on mainstream radio.

Like The Derek Trucks Band is a great newer "jam" band with world influences but most of you probably know of them already from his excellent work with The Allman Brothers.

Of Montreal is like a cracked out Indie Rock version of Genesis with their albums being thematic and play-like.

Comets On Fire is more Black Sabbath than Wolfmother and Dead Meadow think they are.

Janelle Monae sounds like a cross between James Brown and Outkast with a Peter Gabriel, Neil Peart lyrical sci fi thing going on.

There's always great metal; Baroness is cool, Mastadon of course, High On Fire, one band I really recommend is Intronaut who are gonna be in NY in a few weeks. They're a melodic death metal band with a fretless bassplayer so it can kind of sound like old Sepultura meets Return To Forever/Weather Report at times.

Plenty of great stuff out there. As Mike Patton said in a Maxim interview the early part of last decade: "Modern music is like a sea of s*** you have to hold your nose and dive head first in, but eventually you'll get to a treasure chest."

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 11:27 PM
ManicSubsidal15

Send a message via AIM to ManicSubsidal15
Shameless plug haha but I'm in a punk/ska band called No Rights Reserved (myspace.com/norightsreservedmusic), we just came back from a 2 week tour going to Florida and back up to Boston then NY

The music on there's a bit outdated but we're recording a new album in the winter. That being said I'm into a whole buncha stuff: Blink 182, NOFX, Dillinger Four, Rush (just saw them at jones beach!), Metallica, Emmure, Acacia Strain, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Roots, Tribe Called Quest.

ManicSubsidal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 11:41 PM
emodwarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
now i know why every hockey video game soundtrack is so god damned awful...**** u *****
In my opinion, NHL 2009 had a pretty awesome video game soundtrack. Even my fiancee, who doesn't really like much that I do, thought the songs were good. Then I got 2010 and now I have to mute the TV whenever I play. Now THAT is one bad hockey game soundtrack. Not even The Scorpions can save it.

emodwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 11:47 PM
jdhebner
HFBoards Sponsor

Robin Trower and The Might Be Giants.

Oh and I used to yell at one of the members of Blink 182 for driving too fast down our street when he was a kid

jdhebner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 11:48 PM
Cmox

Quote:
Originally Posted by emodwarf View Post
In my opinion, NHL 2009 had a pretty awesome video game soundtrack. Even my fiancee, who doesn't really like much that I do, thought the songs were good. Then I got 2010 and now I have to mute the TV whenever I play. Now THAT is one bad hockey game soundtrack. Not even The Scorpions can save it.
I shut off all the music. All I hear is are "swooshes" and "whooshes" in the menu area.

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 02:59 AM
RegalRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
now i know why every hockey video game soundtrack is so god damned awful...**** u *****
While I don't agree with the accusatory nature of this post I have to say that I am a little surprised at the amount of modern popular hard rock and metal that's been popping up in this thread. I just thought there would be more of a diversity in what people are listening to. It seems like 60% hard rock and metal, 25% classic rock and 15% other. It's not bad, it's just interesting.

Maybe EA has a better understanding of their demographics than I give them credit for...

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 06:05 AM
jacko23
KCCO!

for me, its Dream THeater, as i lay dying, shinedown, a7x, ozzy, breaking benjamin, buckethead, and i listen to slipknot before all my games. yes its a superstition thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Force EVERY player to listen to Slayer, Cannibal Corpse, Napalm Death, Deicide, Carcass, Death, Cryptopsy, Exodus, Skeletonwitch, and Dream Theater and they'll stop being a bunch of limp wrists.
while i agree heavy music is GREAT to play hockey to, i dont even know how DT's heavy side fits in there! haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
this opinion is what's worthless. get off your high horse.
well then, your opinion is just as worthless, because thats all it is. OPINION. so get off YOUR high horse, and be more tolerant of peoples OPINIONS.> i agree with him though. there arent many new bands out there that dont just seem to be in it for a few bucks. most of the new bands i listen to have at least put out 3 albums so i can at least say they arent just todays flavor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmox View Post
I shut off all the music. All I hear is are "swooshes" and "whooshes" in the menu area.
with the exception of that stupid green day song, i like this year's soundtrack. i guess im in the minority. i like the NHL series because it has turned me on to some new bands. a7x, bullet for my valentine, protest the hero and a couple more are all bands i really enjoy that i discovered through NHL soundtracks.

jacko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 06:25 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Just saw Rush at Jones Beach on Saturday. Great show.

However, listening to Akon - "Gringo" currently.

Yes, I know I'm weird.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 07:22 AM
eco's bones

Kind of conventional but this summer has mainly revolved around Sublime and Dropkick Murphys. I've always liked Sublime because of the variety of music styles they were able to incorporate into their music. Being a long time fan of the Pogues--Dropkick Murphy's (even though they're Bruins fans) are not that big a reach and a lot more punkier.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 09:20 AM
zestystrat

Just got back from FloydFest in Va so....

Soulive
Eric Krasno and Chapter 2
JJ Grey and Mofro
Budos Band
Soulhound

I'm a little biased on the last one.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Mikey Radz

Lately I've been listening to Against Me!, The Gaslight Anthem, Modest Mouse, Ted Leo and the Pharmacists, Bruce Springsteen, Radiohead, The Replacements, The Clash, Brand New, The Menzingers, Weezer, Bomb The Music Industry! and Fake Problems.

Basically a big mix of Indie and punk rock. Also I've been a huge Green Day fan since I was a youngin so I'll always love them.

Mikey Radz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 02:13 PM
terrrrrible

last.fm group

i'm at work right now so i'll do some of the other stuff later. if someone wants to make a logo, post it here and i'll upload it.

terrrrrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 04:29 PM
Cmox

Quote:
Originally Posted by emodwarf View Post
Which Utters album is your favorite? The thing I like most about them is that they always seem to be having fun and it shows.

If you haven't heard the band Dear Landlord yet, you might want to check them out, too. Not exactly the same as Swingin Utters, but they definitely have that fun uptempo punk thing going on too.
Hey Emodwarf,
If you like Dear Landlord you should check out
The Copyrights
Off With Their Heads
Houseboat
The Dopamines

Old
07-26-2010, 04:39 PM
mullichicken25

Protest the Hero

their CD entitled "Fortress" is damn near a masterpiece

ranks up there with Master of Puppets as one of the greatest rock/metal albums of all time, in my opinion of course

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 04:59 PM
Mikey Radz

Quote:
Hey Emodwarf,
If you like Dear Landlord you should check out
The Copyrights
Off With Their Heads
Houseboat
The Dopamines
If you like all of these bands you should totally check out Latterman. Great band.

Old
07-26-2010, 05:00 PM
Cmox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Radz View Post
If you like all of these bands you should totally check out Latterman. Great band.
I love/ed Latterman. Their last album ruled.

Old
07-26-2010, 07:08 PM
Mikey Radz

Quote:
I love/ed Latterman. Their last album ruled.
Yup, my favorite album from them is "No Matter Where We Go". Sucks they disbanded. New Dopamines album is pretty rad. I just started getting into The Menzingers too.

Old
07-26-2010, 07:12 PM
terrrrrible

Latterman are so awesome. So bummed I only got to see them play one show, and that was for two and a half songs in an apartment building in Boston, until the cops came and broke it up.

terrrrrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 07:15 PM
Cmox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Radz View Post
Yup, my favorite album from them is "No Matter Where We Go". Sucks they disbanded. New Dopamines album is pretty rad. I just started getting into The Menzingers too.
Yeah, the dopamines rule. A lot of good stuff is comes of the mid-west.

Old
07-26-2010, 07:18 PM
Mikey Radz

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrrrrible View Post
Latterman are so awesome. So bummed I only got to see them play one show, and that was for two and a half songs in an apartment building in Boston, until the cops came and broke it up.
Cops are so not punk rock.

Old
07-26-2010, 08:19 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManicSubsidal15 View Post
Shameless plug haha but I'm in a punk/ska band called No Rights Reserved (myspace.com/norightsreservedmusic), we just came back from a 2 week tour going to Florida and back up to Boston then NY

The music on there's a bit outdated but we're recording a new album in the winter. That being said I'm into a whole buncha stuff: Blink 182, NOFX, Dillinger Four, Rush (just saw them at jones beach!), Metallica, Emmure, Acacia Strain, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Roots, Tribe Called Quest.
I will definitely check your music out, as it's probably my favorite genre. Also, Dillinger Four is so money.

Whoever it was that also mentioned Against Me! is my hero. Tom Gabel is the ****ing man.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote