HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Rank the best Czechoslovakian (+ CZE + SVK) players

Old
07-25-2010, 12:04 AM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ushvinder View Post
I think you underrate cechmanek a little bit, this guy was a vezina caliber goalie for like 3 years, alot of guys that you rank above him were never in contention for a major award.
A lot of people think I overrate Cechmanek. I even had the audacity to suggest he was among the top 120 goalies of all-time when I selected him as one of the best undrafted players following atd10, mld10, aaa10, and aa10.

The thing is, his greatness was very short-lived. And the degree of his greatness is very disputable to begin with. His personal numbers (sv%) were very good but a lot of people think there was a lot of team effect in that.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 12:19 AM
ushvinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
A lot of people think I overrate Cechmanek. I even had the audacity to suggest he was among the top 120 goalies of all-time when I selected him as one of the best undrafted players following atd10, mld10, aaa10, and aa10.

The thing is, his greatness was very short-lived. And the degree of his greatness is very disputable to begin with. His personal numbers (sv%) were very good but a lot of people think there was a lot of team effect in that.
He still accomplished more than svoboda and bobby holik, 3 years of great goaltending is better than a career of mediocrity.

ushvinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 08:51 AM
Martinson

Send a message via ICQ to Martinson
Before he came to NHL he had already estabilished himself as an elite european goaltender. It's not like he appeared for those 3 years out of nowhere without any achievment.

He has WC gold medal 1996, 1999 and 2000. In 2000 he was selected the best GK of the tournament. (+ bronze in 1997, 1998)

He was part of the Nagano squad in 1998.

He has won the czech league 6 times!
(voted 5 times the best goaltender of the league + once play-off MVP)

And then he entered NHL...

Martinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 07:51 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinson View Post
Before he came to NHL he had already estabilished himself as an elite european goaltender. It's not like he appeared for those 3 years out of nowhere without any achievment.

He has WC gold medal 1996, 1999 and 2000. In 2000 he was selected the best GK of the tournament. (+ bronze in 1997, 1998)

He was part of the Nagano squad in 1998.

He has won the czech league 6 times!
(voted 5 times the best goaltender of the league + once play-off MVP)

And then he entered NHL...
I know... but at the same time his critics will ask, "what was the competition like? And who did he beat out for these honours?"

I would personally think that he transcended the competition level by 2000, though.

Old
07-26-2010, 04:18 AM
zorz

Quote:

Quote:
I know... but at the same time his critics will ask, "what was the competition like? And who did he beat out for these honours?"

I would personally think that he transcended the competition level by 2000, though.
But still czech players cannot be ranked strictly according to NA POV. European accomplishments are considered a little bit higher here than in America and this fact needs to be counted. So I think at least you are not overrating him in your list.

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 04:54 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
But still czech players cannot be ranked strictly according to NA POV. European accomplishments are considered a little bit higher here than in America and this fact needs to be counted. So I think at least you are not overrating him in your list.
I would have to rewrite the whole list if I did it that way. My whole basis was their performance against the very best competition (NHL plus best on best international) with more minor consideration to lesser leagues and tournaments.