HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Versus Top-10 Goaltenders List

Old
07-26-2010, 07:43 AM
Chimp

vCash: 500
These lists are worthless and flavour of the day. Last season, this writer probably had Tim Thomas at #1. Where is he today?

But that doesn't stop them from writing down laughably inaccurate lists. The guy must be an Avs fan with Anderson(!) at #4. Brodeur is more overrated than ever, having Lemaire to shine his stats to no end, now that Bäckström is left to dry in Minnesota as his human self. Howard even breaking the top 10 is hilarious, but not as hilarious that Lundqvist barely got by Howard on the list.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 08:35 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Since the lockout, Lundqvist has the 2nd best GAA and 4th best save percentage in the league out of goalies who have played at least 200 games in that timeframe.

Lundqvist is a top 5 goalie at worst.
Simply and correctly put.

>>>>AND LOOK WHO'S BEEN IN FRONT OF HIM!!!!<<<<<

If Henrik had ANY of those other teams' defenses...ANY of them, I would bet my car on who would make #1...clear and away.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
It's because no one knows wtf versus is. Everybody knows ESPN. The NHL is losing whatever popularity they have left by selling their TV rights to versus.

edit: also ESPN broadcasts Poker, Bowling, Softball and freakin' Billiards. You don't think that if the NHL proposed a competent plan to them they wouldn't take it? Hell even if they broadcast hockey on ESPN2 that would be fine. The NHL is settling for less with Versus.
I don't love Versus, but I'd rather have full-on hockey coverage on Versus than be an afterthought on ESPN. ESPN has a wider reach than Versus, but I don't think that being on ESPN alone would make hockey more popular. Hockey has to improve it's popularity and make a good business case, then ESPN will make the investment. Then the NHL can continue to grow.

ESPN's coverage was no better than Versus, except that they had a couple of good personalities who love the game (Melrose, Buccigross). They even ditched NHL2Night. At least with Versus, the NHL is pretty much their big-ticket item.

I love the Tour de France and watch it each year. It's the same story there: on Versus, you get hours of coverage (though you sit through way too many "human interest" distractions); on ESPN, you'd get a half-hour wrap-up show or have to tape it, not-live, in the middle of the night.

If the NHL were on ESPN, it would mean that the sport is growing bigger, which would be great, but until that happens, Versus is fine with me.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 10:35 AM
pwoz

Hank is the best goalie in the world. 'nuff said.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 11:19 AM
GaborikEqualsGod1995*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
These lists are worthless and flavour of the day. Last season, this writer probably had Tim Thomas at #1. Where is he today?

But that doesn't stop them from writing down laughably inaccurate lists. The guy must be an Avs fan with Anderson(!) at #4. Brodeur is more overrated than ever, having Lemaire to shine his stats to no end, now that Bäckström is left to dry in Minnesota as his human self. Howard even breaking the top 10 is hilarious, but not as hilarious that Lundqvist barely got by Howard on the list.
You would be correct with that statement. Adrian Dater, the Avs beat writer made this list.

GaborikEqualsGod1995* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 12:27 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i can see both sides of the Miller-Lundqvist debate. IMHO they are both elite, worth class, brick walls back there. id take either of them in a heartbeat.
I'd rather have Lundqvist over Miller, but as a second choice, Miller wouldn't be bad at all. I understand where you're coming from.

The hype for Miller is ridiculous though, just because of last year. He had himself a superb season, but that doesn't mean he's #1.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 12:29 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
I'd rather have Lundqvist over Miller, but as a second choice, Miller wouldn't be bad at all. I understand where you're coming from.

The hype for Miller is ridiculous though, just because of last year. He had himself a superb season, but that doesn't mean he's #1.
I think there has been hype about Miller for a while. It just sorta went mainstream (for lack of a better term) this year because of the Olympics.

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 05:13 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
I think there has been hype about Miller for a while. It just sorta went mainstream (for lack of a better term) this year because of the Olympics.
I think Miller is put up there because of his Vezina year AND the Olympics. Before this year I had Miller as a top-6 goaltender. He was a solid goaltender in the NHL and had back to back appearances in the Conference Finals for the Sabres (granted the Sabres were a great team and he let up a soft goal against Alfredsson to be knocked out in 06-07). After this year I have him as a top-3. I would not label Miller as the best goaltender UNLESS he can have another two or three years like this in a row.

The reason why Brodeur / Lundqvist have been the two best goaltenders since the lock out is because of their consistency. Year in and year out I'd say Brodeur / Lundqvist are the two most consistent goaltenders and you know you're going to get a quality year out of them.

Personally, I think Henrik has been, overall, the best goaltender in the NHL since the lock out.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 08:24 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
I think Miller is put up there because of his Vezina year AND the Olympics. Before this year I had Miller as a top-6 goaltender. He was a solid goaltender in the NHL and had back to back appearances in the Conference Finals for the Sabres (granted the Sabres were a great team and he let up a soft goal against Alfredsson to be knocked out in 06-07). After this year I have him as a top-3. I would not label Miller as the best goaltender UNLESS he can have another two or three years like this in a row.

The reason why Brodeur / Lundqvist have been the two best goaltenders since the lock out is because of their consistency. Year in and year out I'd say Brodeur / Lundqvist are the two most consistent goaltenders and you know you're going to get a quality year out of them.

Personally, I think Henrik has been, overall, the best goaltender in the NHL since the lock out.
If playoffs are going to be used as a barometer its tough to justify Brodeur as better than Miller. I try not to be biased against him and knock him for minor errors but in all honesty Brodeur has not had a good playoff series since the lockout, except for the one against us in '05 where we absolutely sucked. And Brodeur has had teams on par with Buffalo as well.

I would say the main distinction between Miller/Brodeur and Lundqvist is that Lundqvist can elevate his game to a level where he can steal a win against any team on any night. The problem for him is consistency whereas those are the strengths of Miller and Brodeur.

Another blatant ommision is Fleury and Ward who while not the best, has put up numbers and results way better than many in the top ten.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 08:27 PM
darko

These goalie lists are always controversial. Seriously, you can have 10 people do top-10 goaltender lists and you'll end up with 10 different lists.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 09:26 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
These goalie lists are always controversial. Seriously, you can have 10 people do top-10 goaltender lists and you'll end up with 10 different lists.
yeah, but youd probably have like 8 or 9 of the top 10 be the same on those lists....i wouldnt pick half these guys in my top 10.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote