HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Ice to Roller - A few questions.

Old
07-09-2010, 12:52 PM
pike51

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pike51
Ice to Roller - A few questions.

I've always played ice hockey but I'm now looking at roller hockey instead. Why? Because to play ice hockey I have to drive 2 hours to the closest rink.

Having never played "real" roller hockey, what can I expect to be different? I have a new set of Mission inline skates and all my ice gear. What changes should I make going to roller hockey? It appears I need inline pants and girdle, but what should I change? Should I continue to wear a cage or go back to a shield? Can I get away without shoulder pads like I did in rec league ice hockey? Judging by other posts, I assume the sticks are still the same?

Any tips on things to work on before I start playing as I know the skating, stopping, etc. is different?

Any advice would be appreciated!

pike51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 01:17 PM
OkimLom

Most Roller hockey players are More "skillful". Meaning they will use more finesse. Also the speed Is more non-stop. The stopping like you mentioned earlier is different.

I don't use a cage or Shield. Not because you don't need one, but because I'm stupid in that regard. I would do cage. Most Roller hockey players have played Ice so expect hard shots.

All gear I see as important but not necessary.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Placebo Effect

No one on my team wears shoulder pads (no one in my league for that matter). Shin, jock, elbow, girdle, helmet. Depending on wear you live, you may prefer to not wear ice hockey pants as it can get really hot.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 04:54 PM
apteno

Yeah I just wear a helmet, gloves, shins, and a cup since its puck. You dont even really need a girdle unless youre playing in a higher league where people can get a lot on their shots. I also just wear gym shorts when im playing, but its also usually like 80*+ in the rink.

apteno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:01 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Yeah...skating is gonna be way different. Ice guys who convert to roller usually have a tougher time than the roller guys who play ice. Just practice skating, a lot! You will probably feel lost without your edges at first.

I wouldn't worry too much about shoulder pads but it's up to you. I always wear a cage, and I think everyone who has a family/job should do the same but that's just me. Sticks are the same and shooting, passing, carrying aren't much different than ice. Also keep in mind it's 4-on-4 and it might not be the typical zone-to-zone game you're used to.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 09:04 PM
Gman

i play down in tampa. where it can be 90+ degrees easily when we play at night. The only things i wear is gloves and skates. One kid wears a helmet and some kids wear roller hockey pants. But other than that its too hot to wear to much protective gear.

Gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 10:18 PM
Blues88

Quote:
Originally Posted by pike51 View Post
I've always played ice hockey but I'm now looking at roller hockey instead. Why? Because to play ice hockey I have to drive 2 hours to the closest rink.

Having never played "real" roller hockey, what can I expect to be different? I have a new set of Mission inline skates and all my ice gear. What changes should I make going to roller hockey? It appears I need inline pants and girdle, but what should I change? Should I continue to wear a cage or go back to a shield? Can I get away without shoulder pads like I did in rec league ice hockey? Judging by other posts, I assume the sticks are still the same?

Any tips on things to work on before I start playing as I know the skating, stopping, etc. is different?

Any advice would be appreciated!
First and foremost, roller hockey isn't real, its a strange world where positioning, offsides, passing, and skating take a back seat to dangling. I can't really stand it, but playing with friends is fun enough.

You need only shinguards and pants to play, as well as a helmet with/without a cage. Gloves and skates are suggested but not required. What is required is the right blend of flash, pizazz, and sick skill.

Anyway, as mentioned, your skating will be different in terms of edges. Mainly because you dont have any. Remember to not lean as much into a turn as you are used to or you're going to fall. Also, its important to note that there are rule changes that alter the game. If you play defense at all you may be given weird looks. Also, cherry picking is rampant and net presence is minimal.

To be completely serious, unless you are an extremely safety conscious person, you dont need a girdle, shoulder pads, or a cage. These are optional at best. Elbow pad are good. Never wore them in roller but you never know. The sticks are the same.

Be prepared for the puck to feel completely different and for the game to have an ENTIRELY different pace.

Good Luck.

Blues88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues88 View Post
First and foremost, roller hockey isn't real, its a strange world where positioning, offsides, passing, and skating take a back seat to dangling. I can't really stand it, but playing with friends is fun enough.

You need only shinguards and pants to play, as well as a helmet with/without a cage. Gloves and skates are suggested but not required. What is required is the right blend of flash, pizazz, and sick skill.

Anyway, as mentioned, your skating will be different in terms of edges. Mainly because you dont have any. Remember to not lean as much into a turn as you are used to or you're going to fall. Also, its important to note that there are rule changes that alter the game. If you play defense at all you may be given weird looks. Also, cherry picking is rampant and net presence is minimal.

To be completely serious, unless you are an extremely safety conscious person, you dont need a girdle, shoulder pads, or a cage. These are optional at best. Elbow pad are good. Never wore them in roller but you never know. The sticks are the same.

Be prepared for the puck to feel completely different and for the game to have an ENTIRELY different pace.

Good Luck.
I know you're joking around, but in my league there is always tons of guys in front of the net, no cherry picking (not that it's against the rules, just no one does it), and people at least attempt to play D. Although I'm pretty sure the dangling thing is worldwide for roller... So easy to play D when you know the guy is only going to try and dangle you and never try to pass to a teammate

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 01:10 AM
roast

Depends on where you play - most leagues i've played in require the following:

1) Helmet (visor / cage optional)
2) Gloves
3) Cup
4) Shin Guards
5) Elbow Pads

If you decide to forsake any of the above, you'll be sorry. I'd recommend at least a half-shield, but thats up to you. I got hit in the eye with a slapshot, so I got one. I wouldn't say its not "real" hockey. I played in college and there were some teams that had guys (at the time) that played for sponsored teams that Mission, Tour, etc had. Also, when I say I played in college, the tryouts are no where near anything like ice hockey. Its basically show up and play for most schools that are small. Bigger ones had multiple teams, etc.

As someone else mentioned, there is no offsides or icing. This opens up the game big time and yes, cherry picking will be huge. I grew up playing ice and switched to roller when I was 18 just for the college years. You can easily spot (most of the time) who grew up playing which version. Roller hockey players have a tendency to hack and whack you to death because hitting is not a part of most youth leagues, no matter the age. Roller hockey players (those that play it exclusively) also have egos that are probably bigger than most NHL players, mainly because of the dangling. The key to playing defense is always make it "look" like you're going for the puck. For instance you really can't stand up someone in roller if you caught in a one on one...BUT...if you reach for the puck and then drive into them, the ref really can't call it.

The good roller hockey players / teams play a style similar to ice - very team oriented and a lot of passing...most adult league teams its "me me me" and its rare to see more than one pass and everyone tries to take hilarious shots and then talk **** to each other. Ugly girlfriends are also a common scene at the roller rinks/dek.

The skating is different - once you've got it down, you can "almost" use a hockey stop...some people make loops like they are a plane landing at a major airport.

I still play it because it can be fun with the right team, and you get good exercise while playing.

roast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 01:43 AM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by roast View Post

2) Gloves
3) Cup
4) Shin Guards
5) Elbow Pads

If you decide to forsake any of the above, you'll be sorry. I'd recommend at least a half-shield, but thats up to you. I got hit in the eye with a slapshot, so I got one. I wouldn't say its not "real" hockey. I played in college and there were some teams that had guys (at the time) that played for sponsored teams that Mission, Tour, etc had. Also, when I say I played in college, the tryouts are no where near anything like ice hockey. Its basically show up and play for most schools that are small. Bigger ones had multiple teams, etc.

As someone else mentioned, there is no offsides or icing. This opens up the game big time and yes, cherry picking will be huge. I grew up playing ice and switched to roller when I was 18 just for the college years. You can easily spot (most of the time) who grew up playing which version. Roller hockey players have a tendency to hack and whack you to death because hitting is not a part of most youth leagues, no matter the age. Roller hockey players (those that play it exclusively) also have egos that are probably bigger than most NHL players, mainly because of the dangling. The key to playing defense is always make it "look" like you're going for the puck. For instance you really can't stand up someone in roller if you caught in a one on one...BUT...if you reach for the puck and then drive into them, the ref really can't call it.

The good roller hockey players / teams play a style similar to ice - very team oriented and a lot of passing...most adult league teams its "me me me" and its rare to see more than one pass and everyone tries to take hilarious shots and then talk **** to each other. Ugly girlfriends are also a common scene at the roller rinks/dek.

The skating is different - once you've got it down, you can "almost" use a hockey stop...some people make loops like they are a plane landing at a major airport.

I still play it because it can be fun with the right team, and you get good exercise while playing.
Almost forgot about that! That's the one and only way I've ever been allowed to lay people out without a penalty. Works even better if you do it right when they make their move so they have extra momentum. Refs will never call it, but if your stick is not in position to make a play and you hit someone you're gonna get 2 minutes every time... I learned that after I broke my stick (and had to discard it) then checked the puck carrier in the slot... Immediately the ref threw his arm up. Made the same play many times while going for the poke check without a penalty. Guess they chalk it up to incidental running into eachother?

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 02:55 AM
Thepandamancan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJimmyCarterC View Post
Almost forgot about that! That's the one and only way I've ever been allowed to lay people out without a penalty. Works even better if you do it right when they make their move so they have extra momentum. Refs will never call it, but if your stick is not in position to make a play and you hit someone you're gonna get 2 minutes every time... I learned that after I broke my stick (and had to discard it) then checked the puck carrier in the slot... Immediately the ref threw his arm up. Made the same play many times while going for the poke check without a penalty. Guess they chalk it up to incidental running into eachother?
I do this all the time. Not by design unfortunately, I just really can't stop. It's effective when done properly though cause you disrupt the play and the next time you're around the guy, he's thinking about the hit he's going to get. It's kinda cheap cause it takes the finesse out of roller hockey and replaces it a bit with the intimidation factor of ice.

Problem is, if you have a ref that likes to balance out calls you'll get frustrated when it happens to your team or he decides against you on something else that was borderline.

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 06:23 AM
dabeechman

I recently went from a high level of roller to ice. What I can tell you is that ice was a lot "stickier" to stop on. Meaning in roller I would throw a lot more of my weight into a stop, but with ice I had to be much more gentle on my edges. I'd imagine it would be an opposite feeling for you. You'll want to put more weight on your turns.

Don't listen to that 'donna either. High level players stick to their positions and play a solid team game. We also have net presence and the puck will feel really light to you. Whether it is ice or sport court, everybody takes losing seriously.

I didn't play with shoulders or elbows and only got a few zingers in the 15 years that I played. I would start out with them though as you'll likely fall backwards a few times.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 09:17 AM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by roast View Post

2) Gloves
3) Cup
4) Shin Guards
5) Elbow Pads

Hahaha, good call. For some reason the sport attracts a lot of trash, and surprisingly some of that trash is pretty sick at hockey.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 09:53 AM
roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Hahaha, good call. For some reason the sport attracts a lot of trash, and surprisingly some of that trash is pretty sick at hockey.
Yeah I don't know what the deal is....but you're right. The difference between the two crowds that play ice / roller can be quite a contrast.

Also, Roller is (usually) significantly cheaper in terms of league costs.

roast is offline   Reply With Quote