HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Hybrids may get parking break

Old
07-25-2010, 01:24 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
Hybrids may get parking break

Good god, that's one way to kill downtown entertainment $'s

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 03:55 AM
Liquidfire3240

Well, how many city places can you park, it seems everywhere iv'e been its premier/alright parking.
Doesnt affect me directly anyway, I doubt they will extend it to the Boro residents.

Liquidfire3240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 04:02 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Shouldn't those come standard on all hybrids?

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 10:18 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Free parking for some of my golf clubs? Nice.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 11:26 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Oh nice! It's too bad people waste their money on a hybrid to make themselves feel good about "helping" the environment, but don't realize that the positive effects are marginal at best. Let's give them all breaks financially!

Yeah, but in case you didn't catch it, I think this is a stupid idea.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 12:46 PM
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm

I have to go burn some oily rags after reading that.

JohniusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 02:48 PM
Adz

It is stupid--a car takes up "a" space, whether it's fuel efficient or whether it's a 45 year old heap. But far from killing the city's dollars, I think this is a trick designed to bolster them.

It says in the article that hybrids and fuel efficient cars would purchase a sticker (suggested was "less than $5") for the ability to park for free. Think of the number of people who would buy this solely because they have a fuel efficient car--not because they actually park downtown. I haven't spent $5 on meter parking in a year EVER. If I paid the city $5 for this "privilege", I'm effectively spending an extra $3-4 to get it over what I would have paid on the meter. My guess is the city will realize quite a few $3-4 per "fuel efficient car" that they wouldn't get otherwise. Don't guess my 1999 Mountaineer will qualify, anyway. Ha ha!

Last edited by Adz: 07-25-2010 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Spacing issues. I hate it when there is no space...
Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 03:43 PM
predfan98

My guess is this is tied to someone's longrange plan for LEED status of some kind.

When you have a building and want "green" or LEED certification, there are different things to do to "earn" credits toward various levels of certification.

Having parking places designed for hybrids earns credits.

http://www.leeduser.com/credit/NC-2009/SSc4.3

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 05:12 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Oh nice! It's too bad people waste their money on a hybrid to make themselves feel good about "helping" the environment, but don't realize that the positive effects are marginal at best. Let's give them all breaks financially!

Yeah, but in case you didn't catch it, I think this is a stupid idea.
The money saved on fuel is usually countered by the increased cost of the vehicle. Compare the Ford Focus with its hybrid version and look at just how little savings there is on fuel and how many years it takes for that savings to equal the increased price.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 10:39 PM
Adz

When I was looking for a new car a year or so back, I looked at the Edmunds guide comparing the Honda Fit to a Prius. Edmunds said basically what you're saying, 101. To make it an even comparison, gas prices had to hit at least $5 per gallon. It ended up with my mom giving me my dad's car (the Mountaineer) but if I'd been forced to buy I probably would have opted for a used Fit.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 08:23 AM
OpenWheel

A Prius isn't to save you money, or even to save the planet. It's to save your soul. Or your cachet with your friends... I'm not sure which, but it seems to be one of those things judging by a couple of my yuppie friends who have them. Plus, I don't think they were allowed to have their Howard Dean fundraisers without either owning one or promising to buy one.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 08:44 AM
ffwrx
Don't Blink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Shouldn't those come standard on all hybrids?
LOL thats what I was thinking. Especially if it is a 5 speed.

Yes I know the difference between break and brake.

ffwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 09:05 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I'm sorry, when I see a Prius on the road something internally makes me want to drive it off the road especially when it's on the highway doing 10 MPH under the posted speed limit.

As for the fuel efficiency argument, electric cars plug into an outlet in your home. Where is that energy coming from? A coal burning plant. Not exactly the most clean way to get energy.

Now, if someone got smart and built a huge industrial size hydrogen plant and sold off the energy from that....

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 10:18 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I'm sorry, when I see a Prius on the road something internally makes me want to drive it off the road especially when it's on the highway doing 10 MPH under the posted speed limit.

As for the fuel efficiency argument, electric cars plug into an outlet in your home. Where is that energy coming from? A coal burning plant. Not exactly the most clean way to get energy.

Now, if someone got smart and built a huge industrial size hydrogen plant and sold off the energy from that....
I think most of our plants here are natural gas steam plants like the one in Gallatin, although, I'm sure we get some energy from Watts Bar.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 11:02 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:

mmmm ... VW TDI Diesel FTW!

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 11:09 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

yeah 99 olds cutlass.......

(Shoot me......or at least give me a real car.)

Old
07-26-2010, 11:19 AM
lstcyr

If you can get past some of the propaganda each way, a important piece I think is usually missed in this discussion is how much money goes out of the U.S. for imported oil each and every day. For example, for the first three months of 2010, the top five countries importing into the U.S. imported 5.9 million barrels PER DAY. Our money (for the top five) is going to Canada, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, Nigeria and Venzuela. Also included in the top 15 are IRAQ, Russia and Kuwait.

Some might interpret the above as a good reason to "drill, baby, drill" but others might prefer reducing our oil consumption. One way to do that is alternative fuel vehicles.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 11:26 AM
Liquidfire3240

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
If you can get past some of the propaganda each way, a important piece I think is usually missed in this discussion is how much money goes out of the U.S. for imported oil each and every day. For example, for the first three months of 2010, the top five countries importing into the U.S. imported 5.9 million barrels PER DAY. Our money (for the top five) is going to Canada, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, Nigeria and Venzuela. Also included in the top 15 are IRAQ, Russia and Kuwait.

Some might interpret the above as a good reason to "drill, baby, drill" but others might prefer reducing our oil consumption. One way to do that is alternative fuel vehicles.
Well the problem for that is either the money goes out for oil, or the money goes out for the nice and shiny nickel-metal hydride batteries.

Liquidfire3240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 11:33 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
One of the main problems is the demonetization of oil. We need petroleum. Without petro, no plastics, no materials for a better life.

Also the lack of intellectual creativity in the thought process of fuel. Oil has become a black and white issue when the shear fact of the matter is that there are multiple solutions out there it takes the answers to everything; money and time.

Most want to eat the elephant in the room in one bite but when changing a society you MUST take it one bite at a time. Ok, coal is dirty, then build nuclear power plants. AH!!!! Nuclear! Ok, give me a new solution then. Solar! The parts to produce the cells are expensive the the energy production has not come close to reaching it's max on the back for the buck scale. WIND! Ok, then you have people complaining about huge eyesore turbines in the middle of the fields.

There are a lot of answers and we SHOULD be doing them all but the fact is we are a coal and oil society. We need industrial innovation to make the alternative energy alternatives cost effective. That takes R&D money, lots of it. I flat out can't afford to be energy efficient to a degree that is cost effective.

We know what the problem is. There is lots of solutions that don't eat the whole elephant but can take bites out of it. The question becomes, how can you make the solutions cheap enough for me to bite down?

MODERATOR'S EDIT: YES THIS IS TURNING INTO A POLITICAL DISCUSSION, BUT BEATTING ON THE DEAD HORSES THAT ARE RADULOV, LEGWAND, AND THE ROSTER CAN ONLY TAKE YOU SO FAR.

BEHAVE!

Old
07-26-2010, 12:00 PM
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm

Quote:
One of the main problems is the demonetization of oil. We need petroleum. Without petro, no plastics, no materials for a better life.

Also the lack of intellectual creativity in the thought process of fuel. Oil has become a black and white issue when the shear fact of the matter is that there are multiple solutions out there it takes the answers to everything; money and time.

Most want to eat the elephant in the room in one bite but when changing a society you MUST take it one bite at a time. Ok, coal is dirty, then build nuclear power plants. AH!!!! Nuclear! Ok, give me a new solution then. Solar! The parts to produce the cells are expensive the the energy production has not come close to reaching it's max on the back for the buck scale. WIND! Ok, then you have people complaining about huge eyesore turbines in the middle of the fields.

There are a lot of answers and we SHOULD be doing them all but the fact is we are a coal and oil society. We need industrial innovation to make the alternative energy alternatives cost effective. That takes R&D money, lots of it. I flat out can't afford to be energy efficient to a degree that is cost effective.

We know what the problem is. There is lots of solutions that don't eat the whole elephant but can take bites out of it. The question becomes, how can you make the solutions cheap enough for me to bite down?

MODERATOR'S EDIT: YES THIS IS TURNING INTO A POLITICAL DISCUSSION, BUT BEATTING ON THE DEAD HORSES THAT ARE RADULOV, LEGWAND, AND THE ROSTER CAN ONLY TAKE YOU SO FAR.

BEHAVE!
How dare you bring logic, reason and reality into a politically charged discussion.

JohniusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 12:23 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

They should give breaks to vehicles with poor fuel efficiency so they can spend less time driving around looking for a spot.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 02:52 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
They should give breaks to vehicles with poor fuel efficiency so they can spend less time driving around looking for a spot.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 05:30 PM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
The fact that a Tahoe Hybrid exists is all that I need to know re: this.

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 05:57 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
wonder if the interwebs have a place to buy a magnetic "hybrid" logo thingy?

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 12:35 PM
kivaerijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
The money saved on fuel is usually countered by the increased cost of the vehicle. Compare the Ford Focus with its hybrid version and look at just how little savings there is on fuel and how many years it takes for that savings to equal the increased price.
i could be misunderstanding what you are saying...but..i have had my car since 1994..still runs great...paid for...love it, hope to be driving a wrangler with classic plated in a few years . i dont feel the need to get a new car every 5-8 years. so if i have to spend a little more money,,,and over the course of 10-20 years, it will save me money, and it helps the environment (even the slightest bit), and i like the car...why wouldnt i buy a hybrid?

seems to make sense to me. but like i said, i dont need a new car that often, hopefully never actually. but i know i am not the norm, and dont dream about the new "thing" out there all the time.

and i dont see why driving a hybrid has to be some yuppie/environmental gimic. it could just be that "why not try and help a little"

that all being said...dont think that i would pay the 5 dollars a year either way. usually i dont use them anyway..and if i do, it is for longer than 3 hours anyway (and usually free at that hour), or for a few minutes. but i dont think i use 5 dollars all year anyway.

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote