HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What are the lines going to be next year?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-25-2010, 03:48 PM
  #51
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
While I'd love it, I don't know if it's fair to say he could provide that presence. That role is so hard to figure out...Knuble didn't even do it until he was around thirty. The line might work and Testwuide might look good, but I don't think it's fair to put that label on him simply because we've been missing Mike Knuble ever since he went through the door.
From a purely physical and hockey standpoint, Testwuide can certainly bring everything that Knuble brought to the table. Much like Knuble, Testwuide is an incredibly smart player. For a big guy that plays a physical game, he's had 102 penalty minutes in 134 collegiate games. On top of it, Testwuide is a very good skater with an excellent wrist shot. He also played on his team's penalty kill unit.

As for the point production, I've taken a look at the past three years with regards to stats at Colorado college and only once was there a player that averaged more than one point per game. So, it's safe to assume that either there was no talent there or they used a very defensive game plan. I'm going to go with the defensive game plan because there certainly is talent at Colorado College.

So, we know that Testwuide has a bit of defensive acumen behind him and he's got that real nice wrist shot, he plays a physical game, and he's a big man that can really skate. I certainly see no reason as to why he can't pop in 40 to 45 points playing on a line with Richards and Zherdev. That's just me though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Something I haven't really seen spoken about much just yet is chemistry. I really want to know how the players feel about all the change, and I want to see how it will effect any possible on-ice play. That's not to question their desire, but they have to know in their heads that the team who went on that awesome run a couple months ago had an "it" feel to them. Parts of them have to feel like they didn't get an entirely fair shake, with a leash long enough to walk them to at least the 2010-11 trade deadline to see if they could keep it going.
I really think we're going to see the team chemistry really come together at training camp. I'm looking forward to Laviolette's first training camp and seeing what kind of shape everyone is in come training camp. If the Trial From The Isle is any kind of indication, we know that Carter and Testwuide will be in top notch shape come camp. I'm really excited about the possibilities that camp is going to bring. I know that I've got some big expectations for the team and I'll probably be a little disappointed, but for the first time in quite some time, I'm thinking we're going to see some 90 point and 100 point scorers on the team. I think Laviolette is really going to let them skate and be creative in the offensive zone. No more dump and chase, dump and chase, dump and chase. He'll let his creative guys carry the puck into the zone and we'll see lots of down low cycling. And with the depth that's there, there should be no reason as to why we don't see six, maybe 7 30 goal scorers in this lineup.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 06:07 AM
  #52
Flyerfan808
Registered User
 
Flyerfan808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Honolulu, HI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
This season is going to be fun for all the wrong reasons -- calling Briere out for defensive gaffes at center, wondering why the hell Carcillo isn't with Laperriere and Betts when possible, wondering where the **** Jody Shelley and Matt Walker are and what the **** they're doing (even when they're on the ice), and having an imprint on all our faces from facepalms inspired by Leighton and Boucher similar to Homer Simpson's ass groove in his couch, only minus the comfort.

I can't wait.
Loved this... it'll be a good way for Flyer fans to identify each other in public.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 11:16 AM
  #53
rban*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,894
vCash: 500
Philly has basically shedding point-producing forwards and adding Dmen for the last few seasons. And this had continued this off season with the deletion of Gagne (Zherdev is not as good as Gagne and this must be seen as a net deletion of offensive talent) and addition of Mesz and other Dmen.

The deletion of offense has so far been compensated for by 'surprises' (ie Leino's surprise perfromance in POs) and the continued development of young Giroux.

For this trend to continue this season, a few things have to happen: Zherdev has to dazzle, Leino has to continue to be at least worthy of a Top 6 role in regular season play, AND JVR has to really emerge as a major talent.

The loss of top offense means that Leino and JVR HAVE to step into a top forward role and perform well. Will this happen? Leino only did it in POs .. can he do it for 80 games?Is JVR too young and inexperienced still?

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 11:21 AM
  #54
rban*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
While I'd love it, I don't know if it's fair to say he could provide that presence. That role is so hard to figure out...Knuble didn't even do it until he was around thirty. The line might work and Testwuide might look good, but I don't think it's fair to put that label on him simply because we've been missing Mike Knuble ever since he went through the door.

Something I haven't really seen spoken about much just yet is chemistry. I really want to know how the players feel about all the change, and I want to see how it will effect any possible on-ice play. That's not to question their desire, but they have to know in their heads that the team who went on that awesome run a couple months ago had an "it" feel to them. Parts of them have to feel like they didn't get an entirely fair shake, with a leash long enough to walk them to at least the 2010-11 trade deadline to see if they could keep it going.
A raw rookie in the Top 9 on a deep team like Philly? Doubt it. Flyers are deep enough that even havuing Carcillo on the Top 9 looks fishy, in the sense that Car-bomb may be enough of a weak link to prevent that third line from wreaking as much offensive havoc as the top 2 lines.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 11:36 AM
  #55
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I certainly see no reason as to why he can't pop in 40 to 45 points playing on a line with Richards and Zherdev. That's just me though.
He must be an outstanding prospect if you think he can score that much in is 1st year.

If he has size and speed, if he uses his size and plays good D he may replace Powe. I honestly do see any Philadelphia Flyers prospects scoring 40pts in the nhl next year.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 11:50 AM
  #56
Terence Peterman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
As an aside, I keep dreaming we keep signing defensemen, and every time I get angrier in the dream.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 12:21 PM
  #57
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Can anyone please explain to me why people still insist on putting Jeff Carter at center when the best hockey of the year was played with Richards, Briere, Giroux at center?

Sorry Jeffie, but you just got played out of position, maybe instead of knocking up the ladies and knocking down the beers you should be learning how to play the wing and get a little more physical sonny.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 12:23 PM
  #58
RIPRichardsCarter
Registered User
 
RIPRichardsCarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Can anyone please explain to me why people still insist on putting Jeff Carter at center when the best hockey of the year was played with Richards, Briere, Giroux at center?

Sorry Jeffie, but you just got played out of position, maybe instead of knocking up the ladies and knocking down the beers you should be learning how to play the wing and get a little more physical sonny.
Because Carter sucks at wing and one of Giroux or Briere will be a winger.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 12:30 PM
  #59
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
Because Carter sucks at wing and one of Giroux or Briere will be a winger.
If Giroux and Briere, two guys who control the flow of the game better, had the Flyers playing at their highest level all season, why do you switch this just to suit Carter? It is illogical. If Jeff Carter, 6'3", 215lbs cannot play wing along the boards and Briere/Giroux, both smaller guys along the boards, can play wing what is wrong with this picture?

Is Carter better with the puck than both Giroux or Briere?

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 12:37 PM
  #60
RIPRichardsCarter
Registered User
 
RIPRichardsCarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
If Giroux and Briere, two guys who control the flow of the game better, had the Flyers playing at their highest level all season, why do you switch this just to suit Carter? It is illogical. If Jeff Carter, 6'3", 215lbs cannot play wing along the boards and Briere/Giroux, both smaller guys along the boards, can play wing what is wrong with this picture?

Is Carter better with the puck than both Giroux or Briere?
Briere and Giroux sadly both play more physical and are better on the boards than Jeff Carter despite their size.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 12:47 PM
  #61
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
Briere and Giroux sadly both play more physical and are better on the boards than Jeff Carter despite their size.
Agreed, but let's just suggest Carter and Zherdev on a line with Giroux, two "snipers" with a playmaker, does this not make the most sense even with Carter's inability to be a physical winger, because neither is Zherdev. The important thing is to insure that your best puck handlers have the puck on their sticks, Carter is by far not the best stick/puck handler.

So next would be because he "cannot play wing".....this is the NHL, you play where you need to, not where you are comfortable unless you are the best player at that position.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 12:57 PM
  #62
RIPRichardsCarter
Registered User
 
RIPRichardsCarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Agreed, but let's just suggest Carter and Zherdev on a line with Giroux, two "snipers" with a playmaker, does this not make the most sense even with Carter's inability to be a physical winger, because neither is Zherdev. The important thing is to insure that your best puck handlers have the puck on their sticks, Carter is by far not the best stick/puck handler.

So next would be because he "cannot play wing".....this is the NHL, you play where you need to, not where you are comfortable unless you are the best player at that position.
Completely disagree with your last point. I'd rather have Carter in a position where he is actually effective.

How about this, say we rated them like NHL at their positions:
Carter at center = 86
Carter at wing = 75

Giroux at center = 83
Giroux at wing = 80


Now would you rather have xx - 86 - 80 or xx - 83 - 75

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 01:04 PM
  #63
Terence Peterman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Agreed, but let's just suggest Carter and Zherdev on a line with Giroux, two "snipers" with a playmaker, does this not make the most sense even with Carter's inability to be a physical winger, because neither is Zherdev. The important thing is to insure that your best puck handlers have the puck on their sticks, Carter is by far not the best stick/puck handler.

So next would be because he "cannot play wing".....this is the NHL, you play where you need to, not where you are comfortable unless you are the best player at that position.
Jeff Carter is the best center on the team who can do things we really, really need at center. He's our best FO guy and can be serviceable against the bigger bodies, something Selke nominee Mike Richards even has trouble with.

And these guys aren't in the NHL because of their supreme adaptability. They're in the NHL because they're really, really good at a particular position. Being at that position is part of why they're really, really good.

Stop being such a ******* wiener.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 01:44 PM
  #64
CptCannon
Registered User
 
CptCannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,970
vCash: 500
Putting Carter on the wing doesn't force him not to play two-way game and he can take faceoffs even as a winger, too. He's the odd man out (from the quartet of Richie+Briere+Giroux+Carter) right now, just as Briere was during 09-10 season until the HBL magic emerged. Jeff's gotta earn his C-position back if he wants that. Better for the team would be him adjusting to play as a winger.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 01:52 PM
  #65
Larry44
10 - 88
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCannon View Post
Putting Carter on the wing doesn't force him not to play two-way game and he can take faceoffs even as a winger, too. He's the odd man out (from the quartet of Richie+Briere+Giroux+Carter) right now, just as Briere was during 09-10 season until the HBL magic emerged. Jeff's gotta earn his C-position back if he wants that. Better for the team would be him adjusting to play as a winger.
Nonsense. Why would Carter be the odd man out? He's the best centre on the team. In fact, when the chips were down in Game 6, Lavy put Richards on LW with Carter at C and Giroux at RW - and it nearly worked.

Richards also looked good at LW in the Olympics, playing with Toews. Maybe it would be better for the team to move Mike to LW and let Carter take the faceoffs, since he's best at it?

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 01:58 PM
  #66
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
Completely disagree with your last point. I'd rather have Carter in a position where he is actually effective.

How about this, say we rated them like NHL at their positions:
Carter at center = 86
Carter at wing = 75

Giroux at center = 83
Giroux at wing = 80


Now would you rather have xx - 86 - 80 or xx - 83 - 75

Giroux is a much better center who makes the players around him better, just by making the players better around him he should be put there over Carter.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 02:00 PM
  #67
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Nonsense. Why would Carter be the odd man out? He's the best centre on the team. In fact, when the chips were down in Game 6, Lavy put Richards on LW with Carter at C and Giroux at RW - and it nearly worked.

Richards also looked good at LW in the Olympics, playing with Toews. Maybe it would be better for the team to move Mike to LW and let Carter take the faceoffs, since he's best at it?
LOL at moving everyone else just to accommodate the great one, Jeff Carter.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 02:06 PM
  #68
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
He must be an outstanding prospect if you think he can score that much in is 1st year.

If he has size and speed, if he uses his size and plays good D he may replace Powe. I honestly do see any Philadelphia Flyers prospects scoring 40pts in the nhl next year.
Testwuide has more pure natural talent than Powe does. The guy really does have good hands and he's got exceptional speed for a big guy. Check the You Tube videos for Testwuide and you'll see why scouts love the guy. He's finally grown into his frame and he's put it all together. He really would be a good fit on the top line. And yes, I absolutely see him putting up 40 points playing on a line with Richards in his rookie year.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 02:10 PM
  #69
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Testwuide has more pure natural talent than Powe does. The guy really does have good hands and he's got exceptional speed for a big guy. Check the You Tube videos for Testwuide and you'll see why scouts love the guy. He's finally grown into his frame and he's put it all together. He really would be a good fit on the top line. And yes, I absolutely see him putting up 40 points playing on a line with Richards in his rookie year.
Phew, at first I read that as 40 goals.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 02:19 PM
  #70
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Phew, at first I read that as 40 goals.
lol....oh God no. Testwuide might be good for about 30 to 35 at the height of his career, but no, definitely not a 40 goal guy.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 02:50 PM
  #71
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Testwuide has more pure natural talent than Powe does. The guy really does have good hands and he's got exceptional speed for a big guy. Check the You Tube videos for Testwuide and you'll see why scouts love the guy. He's finally grown into his frame and he's put it all together. He really would be a good fit on the top line. And yes, I absolutely see him putting up 40 points playing on a line with Richards in his rookie year.
I am not saying you are wrong. I do not know much about him but 40pts is no joke. I want to see it beofre I will believe it. I will check youtube tough.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 05:00 PM
  #72
Flyerfan808
Registered User
 
Flyerfan808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Honolulu, HI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
Completely disagree with your last point. I'd rather have Carter in a position where he is actually effective.

How about this, say we rated them like NHL at their positions:
Carter at center = 86
Carter at wing = 75

Giroux at center = 83
Giroux at wing = 80


Now would you rather have xx - 86 - 80 or xx - 83 - 75
Let EA Sports handle these.

I get your point, Carter is more effective at center. How would you feel about a player of his caliber getting 3rd line minutes? If Carter wants to play center he needs to beat out Briere for the position not astoundingly difficult.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 05:16 PM
  #73
RIPRichardsCarter
Registered User
 
RIPRichardsCarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
Let EA Sports handle these.

I get your point, Carter is more effective at center. How would you feel about a player of his caliber getting 3rd line minutes? If Carter wants to play center he needs to beat out Briere for the position not astoundingly difficult.
Third line minutes? We don't even have a third line, it's basically:

1a
1b
1c
4th line

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 05:24 PM
  #74
Terence Peterman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
Let EA Sports handle these.

I get your point, Carter is more effective at center. How would you feel about a player of his caliber getting 3rd line minutes? If Carter wants to play center he needs to beat out Briere for the position not astoundingly difficult.
The only way Jeff Carter gets true third line minutes on this team is if Holmgren's smart enough to commit to a real third line and turn the corner on giving every player a distinct role, and dumb enough to think Carter can and/or should fill the third line center position.

Everyone gets played pretty evenly through the top nine.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 05:39 PM
  #75
Jumping
Registered User
 
Jumping's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Atlanta Ga
Country: United States
Posts: 1,355
vCash: 500
The only thing you can be sure of is that someone will get hurt. Having Carter play some wing in the pre season can only be helpful down the road.

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.